Thailand To Change From Left To Right Hand Driving

Lite Beer

Apparently a few years ago, the Irish were going to change over from left side to right side driving. They were going to trial it by swapping the trucks and buses over for three months first.

(Apologies, if someone has already said this. I can't be bothered reading through 400 posts to check.)

OMG, you really believe this, you never check todays date? to change the side of traffic, there is more than on switch from left to right and this will take in Thailand about 10 years to be prepared, change the traffic law, (each artikle) change all trafic signs to other side and change the the directions signs,

I agree with every post that's been made above --- even the ones that are mutually contradictory.

I've driven on both sides of the road in cars that had both the correct and incorrect steering wheel positions. I finally made up this rule of thumb: Drive in the lane that keeps the driver closest to the middle dividing line (assuming your car's steering wheel is on the correct side per local practice).

On a totally unrelated note: cars with steering wheels on the left are a little better for another reason: these days you do a lot of poking at your nav screen and other controls. Since most people are right handed ...

OK, back to our regularly scheduled ranting, moaning, and ad hominen attacks.

CB

Edited by CBinParadise

Hi I appreciate the humour but not tyhe sensibility, So China drives the other side so what..Millions of vehicles on Thailand roads now are going to have drivers sitting on the wrong, or dangeroud, due to lack of vision

To the south Malaysia and Singapore left hand side of the road. side.Visitors from British Isles, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and quite a few more.

The main point is that it will be a useless expense in lives.

Nice one mods. Reeled a few in. I enjoyed reading all the OMG!! posts.

Some of the more trusting members at TV may have fallen for the story coz they have read the forum rules.

Rule 15) Not to use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law

post-157796-0-03737200-1364802637_thumb.

I am going to open a shop for switching all of the salengs from the left hand side of the bike to the right hand side. The motors will also have to be installed backwards to ensure the kick starter is accessible on the left. Rivers of gold....

Actually I heard about this before from a friend who works at Toyota, apparently there will be government training sessions held around the country in November 2013 to teach drivers how to reverse at high speed so as to avoid head on collisions when drivers enter motorways on the wrong side and drive towards opposing traffic, drivers will also be taught "J-turns" and "high speed handbrake turns".

He also said Toyota has been redesigning its airbag system to include the new "external airbag system" (EAS) apparently the new EAS can be retro fitted to motorcycles or in fact any machine that can move..

Something very good associated with this subject is that the government has also decided to abolish all import tax on cars from left hand drive countries during 2014, which means Thais will be able to afford vehicles such as the new Ford Mustang at only US$1,800 which is roughly 10,000 Baht. the minister for transport Khun Lek Smungewong said we have been ripping off the Thai people for far too long and its time we come clean and admit the government has been pocketing at least 90% from all imported car sales in inflated taxes. w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Some of the more trusting members at TV may have fallen for the story coz they have read the forum rules.

Rule 15) Not to use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law

That rule gets suspended one time a year

That rule gets suspended one time a year

TIT--we have no way of knowing that it is actually false!

• Like 1

So those of us that have bought new cars won't be able to sell them till we have the steering wheel re fitted to the left hand side of the car? What kind of madness is that?

Madness.

I don't think it will be a problem for the farang to adapt, I can just see the wife driving on the wrong side of the road, music blasting more worried about how she looks.

Time to up the life insurance me thinks.