Thailand To Change From Left To Right Hand Driving

Lite Beer

You may all this this is a joke bu tI have some inside information that may make you re-think. I have the following information from a very reliable source which I am unable to reveal at the moment. Plans are in an advance stage for production of the Unidrive car. The front of the car will have a bench seat and the steering wheel and controls will be in the centre. Due to the size of most asians three people will be able to sit in the front, one each side of the driver. The reason for this is because of the Asean Economic Community coming into effect in 2015. Drivers and their Unidrive vehicle will be able to drive in any AEC country with minimum inconvenience irrespective whether the country has a left or right hand drive system. This concept was first developed in Europe but shelved due to the size of europeans and therefore considered impractical. These plans were sold to a major Asian car manufacturer who will commence production in 2014 in a new factory. Keep a look out for a large and new car production factory somewhere in the AEC and you will know why!

The last country to change was, I believe, Sweden in the late 60s.

Italy changed between the wars, and in typical Italian fashion, changed gradually. Cities with trams were allowed to continue driving on the left (Rome was one) provided they posted signs at the city limits.

Correct me I'm wrong, but I believe Japan changed sides in 1971.

Very well sb, I will,.smile.png Japanese drive on the left , hence the plentiful supply of Toyota Corollas as Bangkok taxis.

"Cars drive on the left side of the road and have the driver's seat and steering wheel on their right side. The legal minimum age for driving is 18 years. Road signs and rules follow international standards, and most signs on major roads are in Japanese and English. Drinking and driving is strictly prohibited."

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2022.html

Sorry, I re-read my post and see that it could be read either way left to right or right to left. Japan was driving on the right side of the road and switched to the left side of the road - overnight. They apparently had an education campaign for over one year.

• Like 1

Would anybody really notice? Who drives in the lanes anyway?

Well, seriously -- what an f**ked up idea. Accidents and fatalities will go through the roof. It will be a nightmarish slaughter on the roads for months if not longer.

Next, "Under the plan owners of a car not older than 5 year will get half of
the price for refitting back from the government through their personal
income tax, so they don’t have to spend too much money."

Wonderful!!! Subsidize the people who can afford cars and screw that folks that can afford it the least. This will not turn out well. And for those folks that can't afford the retro-fit their old cars. Ever try driving a right hand road in a car with the steering wheel on the right. It screws up your perception. There will be accidents for years.

If the government is going to force this change, they should pony-up the cash to assist all car owners to retro-fit their vehicles, or buy all the old cars and subsidize the purchase of new cars with 0% loans directly from the government. If they are going to use tax incentive, then they are going to have to revamp their tax laws in order to get everyone to report income, and that ain't gonna happen in this third-world, emerging market anytime soon. What a clusterf**k.

Man, I just got back from test driving a new car and had decided to put down a deposit for it before coming home and reading this article. Guess how I felt.

An unpleasant 10 minutes or so courtesy of Thai Visa. Happy April Fools Day!

• Like 1

Will the Thai Gov't give everyone new cars and trucks, to get the steering wheel on the correct side? or will they watch the death toll spiral conpletely out of sight before returning back to the norm?

Yes. everyone will receive a new car. even those who currently don't own one. farangs too. all the old cars will be used to build a giant dike around bangkok to hold back floods.

I think all of us - especially us old hands just take April Fool's in stride. coffee1.gif Mai pen rai !! Governments in Thailand actually do come up with this drivel at any time of the year. Good to play on this though!! laugh.png

For all of you saying this is a good idea and makes sense

must have lived here for toooo long. It is going to be a logistical nightmare,

especially for a country full of people who need a calculator for their 2 times

table. Every sign, every car, every road will need amending. This will cost

billions of dollars to implement safely. Also, know you are wrong, there are no

statistics that say driving on the right is any safer than driving on the left.

Only people who are used to driving on the right will find it safer to drive on

the right and hey guess what the whole driving population of this country is

not used to driving on the right. NO BRAINER. I am actually a little shocked so

many people on here are saying this is a good idea, just goes to show how many

none Thais have thought about this in depth. The death toll will shoot through

the roof, insurance premiums will increase tenfold. Laying down laws forbidding

car owners from selling their cars is dictatorial at best. To end I will say I have

never come across such a pathetic, insane, ludicrous idea in my life. Dumbo

springs to mind.

Equalizer.....you're a Peach...gotta luv'ya !

I saw the title and just naturally assumed it was an April Fools joke.

I still think it is.

I can't believe it went three and a half pages before anybody even mentioned April Fools...

three and half pages... LOL...you do realise what the mods were doing dont you...they were deleting those post relating to 1/4/13 so the fools keep on posting...wink.png

Of course it's April fools day joke, hat's off to the poster, liquid medal for you.

There will be no major change in the mess they have allready.

What about my car??? Sell it to England????

What about my car which I could not bring years ago?

Can I be compensated for all the loss?

Crazy.

I saw the title and just naturally assumed it was an April Fools joke.

I still think it is.

I can't believe it went three and a half pages before anybody even mentioned April Fools...

three and half pages... LOL...you do realise what the mods were doing dont you...they were deleting those post relating to 1/4/13 so the fools keep on posting...wink.png

Of course it's April fools day joke, hat's off to the poster, liquid medal for you.

We ought to do that in the real world too. play an AFjoke on a group of people and if any of them twig too early, shoot them.

This info below sort of counters the info on the map which looks impressive because it highlights so much land mass. Inaccurate though:

Countries that use left-hand traffic account for about 30% of the world's population, a sixth of its area and a quarter of its roads.
Anguilla
Antigua
Australia
The Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Bermuda
Bhutan
Botswana
British Virgin Islands
Brunei
Cayman Islands
Channel Islands
Christmas Island
Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Cook Islands
Cyprus
Dominica
Falkland Islands
Fiji
Grenada
Guyana
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Isle of Man
Jamaica
Japan
Kenya
Kiribati (Gilbert Islands)
Lesotho
Macao
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Malta
Mauritius
Montserrat
Mozambique
Namibia
Nauru
Nepal
New Zealand
Nieu Island
Norfolk Island
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
Pitcairn Island
St Helena
St Kitts-Nevits (-Anguilla)
St Lucia
St Vincent
Seychelles
Singapore
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Surinam
Swaziland
Tanzania
Thailand
Tokelau Islands
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Kingdom
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Source: The Rule of the Road

obviously an April fools story this one. The best clue being that "trucks and buses will be exempt because they have professional drivers" If not I will be even more nervous on the roads particularly when I am not the driver