O-a Visa

Hello--I am now in Thailand and planning on applying for O-A long-stay visa when I return to the USA at Thai Embassy in Washington DC. I am 50+ and will have the required deposit wired into a Thai bank before I leave. I have the following questions after reading various Thai Embassy websites:

1) What is the 'Personal Data Form' that is mentioned aside from the application form?

2) Do I need a letter from the US Embassy in Bangkok that I plan to retire in Thailand before I apply in Washington?

3) If my doctor fills out the medical form on the Long-stay visa supplied in PDF on the Thai Embassy website, must that form be notarized or otherwise authenticated by the US embassy in Bangkok before submitted to Thai embassy in Washington?

4) What 'guarantee' do I need from the Thai bank after they receive the money transfer other than the bank statement itself?

I have tried to due my due diligence but so much of the posted info--even on the Thai geovernment websites--seems contradictory. Thanks for any help.

If you are going to have the money in a bank account here in Thailand why not make the application here in Thailand? Or did I misunderstand and you mean you will transfer money before you leave the USA later? Much less paperwork AFAIK if done here and they are able to change visa status at immigration. If you want to do in the USA the money would normally be in a US Bank account at the time and transferred later.

1. Believe this is the form immigration fills out regarding you when you present the application for approval. Question and answer type thing. But have not done myself so perhaps someone can expand?

2. The US Embassy would only be used to confirm retirement income if you are using that as part of the monitory requirement. Should not be involved otherwise; but again will qualify with AFAIK. :o

3. If notary is required any US notary should be fine. Inside Thailand certification is normally only your signature/date on the copy.

4. Most Thai banks do not issue "statements" and only use passbooks. You need a letter from the bank (manager) that on date XX your account had XXX,XXX as well as the passbook. As an application in the USA normally does not involve money already inside Thailand not sure how it should be addressed (banks have to know that) but assume it would be to the Royal Thai Embassy. You should also have copy of transfer paperwork to prove money came from outside Thailand (obtained from bank).

Good summary Lop... I think that getting an O and extending it in Thailand is a much simpler way to go. The bank letter and a simple medical done at a hospital is all jazz would need. Do it at home they want police clearances etc, and a medical done in the US of A will be over thorough. A police clearance is only required if the applicant applies for PR. Application for the extension can be done at any Immigration office in Thailand.

Believe it would be best to do at Bangkok as they are the boss; especially if you need to change visa class.

Not sure you will need any criminal record report if done here.

As with any immigration matter it is best to prepare what you can and then present yourself in best dress/manner to the officials and follow their requests. Most items are not 'set in stone' so not everyone will be subject to exactly the same requirements.

If you're in Bangkok (though it sounds as if you may be in Nong Khai) go to Suan Plu and see Kuhn Pallop who, I believe, is in room 303. He has in the past changed 60 day tourist visas to NI-O visas which can then be use to obtain the retirement visa. He's a nice guy and will tell you exactly what you need in terms of documentation. You will need 800K baht in a Thai bank, i.e. he will not accept any monthly income to meet the financial requirements. (This was my experience last year when I applied.) Other officers at other immigrtion offices will accept monthy income to meet at least part if not all of the financial requirements.

Re your initial question, if you go to the Thai Embassy website

http://www.thaiembdc.org/index.htm

Go to "Consular Services" then "Visa" then "Requirements for persons 50 years....."

And scroll to the bottom of the page for the Personal Data Form.

Re the notarization question, I don't see any mention of anything needing to be notarized to obtain an O-A visa on the Embassy website. The LA Consulate does require notarization. I'd call the Embassy if you decide to get the O-A in the USA. I got my O-A at one of the honorary consulates in the US and no notarization was required by them.

-redwood

If you're in Bangkok (though it sounds as if you may be in Nong Khai) go to Suan Plu and see Kuhn Pallop who, I believe, is in room 303. He has in the past changed 60 day tourist visas to NI-O visas which can then be use to obtain the retirement visa. He's a nice guy and will tell you exactly what you need in terms of documentation. You will need 800K baht in a Thai bank, i.e. he will not accept any monthly income to meet the financial requirements. (This was my experience last year when I applied.) Other officers at other immigrtion offices will accept monthy income to meet at least part if not all of the financial requirements.

Re your initial question, if you go to the Thai Embassy website

Go to "Consular Services" then "Visa" then "Requirements for persons 50 years....."

And scroll to the bottom of the page for the Personal Data Form.

Re the notarization question, I don't see any mention of anything needing to be notarized to obtain an O-A visa on the Embassy website. The LA Consulate does require notarization. I'd call the Embassy if you decide to get the O-A in the USA. I got my O-A at one of the honorary consulates in the US and no notarization was required by them.

-redwood

How much did the O/A cost and how long did it take ? Police clearances medical certificate etc required ?

Go into Laos and get a Non-Immigrant visa based on retirement.

If you do this there should be no reason to apply at Bangkok and you could use Nong Khai for application if that is where you plan to reside.

Recently people have been able to convert tourist visas to non immigrant retirement visas here in Bangkok without leaving the country but as the dr says the normal approach is to obtain visa outside Thailand first. This will probably require that you show them proof the money is in a Thai bank account, and perhaps other things, when you apply for a non immigrant visa in Vientiane. After money transfer think I would try Bangkok/conversion first rather than take a chance on Vientiane (unless you have a real aversion to the big city). :o

Thank you all. The money is not the problem for me nor is age. I am in NE Thailand but in Udon Thani area. I would have to go to Nong Khai for the 30 day extension in a few weeks. I could also apply for O visa in Laos as could I visit Mr. Pullap in BKK. I am not sure which now is the best option.

I cut and pasted the following from thaiembdc.org. I inferred that the Application form and the personal data form are two distinct items unless they are referring to the medical portion of the form.

2. Documents for the Application. (requiring 3 sets in original)

2.1 A passport valid no less than one year and a half.

2.2 Three copies of a Visa Application Form (with photos).

2.3 A Personal Data Form.

How much did the O/A cost and how long did it take ? Police clearances medical certificate etc required ?

US$125 for a multiple entry O-A.

Used the police department in the small town in N. California where I was living for the criminal record clearance. They have a standard form for that purpose and it only took about 20-30 minutes waiting time. Cost was $5.

I gave my personal physician the list of diseases and he had his office staff type a letter on his letterhead and he signed it. No charge but I was a long time patient of his.

Took about a week to get my O-A visa from the day I mailed the application and documentation until I received my passport back.

This Consulate also requires a copy of an airline ticket to Thailand (or a copy of the internet confirmation for an e-ticket). Might be a bit of a problem for some because you have to pick a departure date. I barely got all my affairs in order before leaving. I used a one-way ticket.

Most time consuming was getting my bank to type up a letter stating my balance at closing on the date prior to my mailing the application for the visa. One branch officer made it clear she didn't want to deal with it, so I went to another (larger) branch and got it done there.

I lived in California and had previously tried to obtain the O-A through the Los Angeles Consulate. This met with failure as it has for most applicants there. I then heard about using one of the Honorary Consulates and that's what I did. I wasn't sure they'd accept an application from a California resident as Los Angeles supposedly has jurisdiction over in-state applicants but there was no problem at all.

I'm not sure how wise it is to mention the Consulate I used but I will gladly tell anyone who wants to PM me. They're very well organized. On request they send out an application packet and a set of instructions.

One guy I've talked to said he applied in person and it took 5 minutes to get the visa!

-redwood

Thank you Mr. Redwood. I still have yet to find the 'personal data form' mentioned. You also said that you had a hard time getting a statement from your bank. Was that the bank in California or the bank in Thailand. If I wire the money from the USA the day or so before applying in Washington how do I then have a guarantee from the Thai bank. Or should I do this from my USA bank while still in Thailand but then the guarantee would be a week or two before the application in USA.

I am a resident of Florida so my official visa application site is the Thai Embassy in Washington--is this preferred to one of the 'honorary consulates'. It does state on Thaivisa.com that it is best to apply for an O-A visa from your home country (where I will be in a few months anyway) as opposed to Laos or in Bangkok or Nong Khai.

Thanks for all the help.

Thank you Mr. Redwood. I still have yet to find the 'personal data form' mentioned. You also said that you had a hard time getting a statement from your bank. Was that the bank in California or the bank in Thailand. If I wire the money from the USA the day or so before applying in Washington how do I then have a guarantee from the Thai bank. Or should I do this from my USA bank while still in Thailand but then the guarantee would be a week or two before the application in USA.

I am a resident of Florida so my official visa application site is the Thai Embassy in Washington--is this preferred to one of the 'honorary consulates'. It does state on Thaivisa.com that it is best to apply for an O-A visa from your home country (where I will be in a few months anyway) as opposed to Laos or in Bangkok or Nong Khai.

Thanks for all the help.

For the Personal Data Form go to:

Click on "Consular Services"

Click on "Visa"

Click on "RETIREMENTS FOR PERSON 50 YEARS OR OVER"

Then scroll to the bottom of that page and click on

"Additional Application Form for Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay)" which is in PDF form.

Re your question about the bank. If you apply in the USA for an O-A you don't need anything from Thailand. That is, all documentation is generated from US sources. You request that someone at your bank or a branch thereof, authorized to do so, simply write a brief letter on the bank's letterhead stating that your account number has XXX amount of dollars in it as of the close of the prior business day. This seems to meet the requirement for what the Thai Embassy calls "a letter of guarantee". You'll also need to submit a copy of your most recent bank statement along with that letter when you submit your application.

If you get the O-A in the USA you don't have to have money in a Thai bank until you approach the time, a year later, to have your stay renewed for another 365 days. But you do have to have your Thai bank document that the money came from outside Thailand and wiring the money seems to be the easiest way to do that from what I've read. I already had a Thai bank account when I set up the wire transfer agreement with my US bank but that's a separate issue from the visa application documentation.

I think you'd be fine using the Embassy in DC. I only used an Honorary Consulate because I lived in California and Los Angeles will almost never issue a retirement visa, so I had to look elsewhere.

In your particular situation, being in Thailand now on a 60 day tourist visa and being up country, it might be easier for you, since you're going back to the US anyway to get the O-A there. But, for most folks it's probably easier, if they've entered Thailand on a O visa, to obtain the retirement visa in Thailand.

-redwood

Thanks again Mr. Redwood. I of course saw the 'Additional Application' form on the thaiembdc.org website but was not sure this is the 'personal data' form. OK. I will apply, BTW, at the Thai embassy in Washington IN PERSON not by mail or courier. (I have to drive north anyway.)

I think I will open a bank account at Bangkok Bank in Thailand, have the money wired from USA and get a letter from the Bangkokj Bank before I leave to USA. Then, 1 week or so later when I go to the Embassy in Washington, make an ATM withdrawl or balance inquiry from Bangkok Bank which will show the account number and balance on the day of the application in Washingtin. I will also get the criminal background statement and medical in the USA/Florida.

I think as regards visa extensions and back-to-back visas the Thai Immigration folks have taken note of the tourist policies of Bhutan which has a MINIMUM US$ 200 per day expenditure requirement for tourists (and they must travel in organized tours). The Thai government may be saying that they want foreign visitors who will contribute to the Thai economy not those who spend less per day than the average Thai citizen.

Thanks Dr. Pat Pong. I also note that there is a special consular office in Coral Gables (Miami) Florida. Would this be preferrable to the Embassy in Washington? They have no e-mail listed so I would have to call them either from Thailand or after arriving USA.

Redwood 13,

Your experience adds but one more wrinkle to the mystery of Thai immigration. I thought I had this O-A thing figured out, but I guess not.

My understanding was that after processing the O-A paperwork in the States, you would then get a single entry, 90 day visa stamp. Then, upon arrival at Don Muang, you would immediately proceed to the immigration window, where they would further stamp your passport, allowing for a 365 day stay. If you wanted multiple entries, it is at this point you would apply. And, of course, pay some more money.

Your experience was, obviously, different. And any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

First, what did the visa you received in the States say? Was it labelled "Non Immigrant O-A" or just "Non Immigrant O?" You've already mentioned that it was stamped 'multiple entry' Was the effective date that of the application, or that of the airline ticket departure date? (The airline ticket requirement is a completely new wrinkle, at least to me.)

When you got to Don Muang, did you follow the hoards of people through the immigration boothes -- or did you go to the immigration teller windows located off to the right as you face the boothes? What did immigration stamp in your passport? And, assuming you're at the teller window(s), did you have to pay anything more (over the $125 you'd already paid in the States)?

My questions are because, before your experience, the O-A procedure in the States appeared to be a goat rope, even nonsensical (like the requirement to have your medical and police forms 'notarized' -- which only guarantees signatures -- and I'm sure my doctor and police chief would not go to the notary office with me). But your experience sheds some really new light, and hopefully new policy, not a one time quirk. I now have this vision of getting a "Non Immigrant O-A" visa, multiple entry, while Stateside. Then, arriving at Don Muang, going through the boothe, and having a '365 day stay' stamp applied.

Oh, could you PM me the name of the honorary Consulate?

Many thanks for your time and info.

Dear Jazzbo:

I received my O-A (long stay) retirmement visa a year and a half ago while living in Chiang Mai. I typed a full page recounting of my experience in getting it here in Thailand without having to go home to the U.S, for you but it was lost in cyber space and never got posted.

Suffice to say, you can get your tourist visa changed to O-A long stay witha 90 day extension from the second floor office in the main immigration office in Bangkok. My understanding is you can't get it elsewhere in Thailand. I know not in Chiang Mai.

They require 30 days to process the application so you must return a 2nd time. As a note to the last post that says you can get an extention at the airport, I would be suprised if that was possible unless you flew in on the last few days of your first 90 day extention on a O-A.

My bank letter was rejected because the lieutenant who did the paperwork in Bangkok wanted the date funds came into Thailand and the source bank or institution from which they came. Bangkok bank has their main branch in Bangkok, so I was able to get the complete information from their transfer department with a quick side trip.

Further extentions, ending up in the yearly 365 day extention is obtainable after the first or second 90 day extention, obtainable from your local immigration office, and then only to the day 365 after your initial application date the first time, after that, 365 extention. They gave me a ten day "application pending" extention between the first and second yearly extentions.

Incidently, Chiang Mai is now enforcing the 90 notification of location for all Farang or at least me. I photocopied a fully filled out form and merely put in the dates and drop it off at the Chiang Mai immigration office every 90 days.

Oftaining an O-A in a Thai consulate in a foreign country is fraught with danger. I tried in Sydney and met a wall. Funds in Sydney bank, non-criminal document from somewhere, Emabassy no, then where in the States, etc.

I called Vientiene Tha Embassy and they said don't even try. Keep in mind that Immigration is a police matter in Thailand and the consular service is a different department. The lady in Sydney advised that each consulate general interprets the regulations differently, so who knows what Washington will require. Once they stamp your passport with the 90 day O-A visa, you will still have to apply in Thailand for another extention, eventually ending in the 365 one.

The nit-picker who reviews your application in Thailand for your next extention will require all the documentation you initially filed in Washington and any other he deems necessary and I bet your original documentation won't be available for some reason or another. If your original paperwork is filed in Bangkok immigration, they are hard pressed to deny having it or blaming another agency, such as the consulate service for not forwarding it.

My best advice, is to do it in Thailand, even if it requires two trips to Bangkok. Get your money into a Bangkok Bank, before you apply and get your bank letter with amount, date of tranfer and source bank included. No criminal record document was required even though the regulations call for it.

Dress wll, be humble, be polite, and remember immigration officials are policemen who think in terms of enforcement, not service. Enjoy the adventure. :o

mrmnp

To me it doesn't sound like you are talking about an O-A

What you have written - to my understanding is an O visa.

To my mind the DEFINITION of an O-A Visa is one where you satisfy the Retirement conditions while you are abroad. And it indicates to Immigration at the Airport that they may grant you a 365 day stay on arrival.

Roger

Roger:

Thank you, I just looked at my passport, and while most of the many stamps refering to my non-immigrant visa have no definition as to what type of immigrant visa I have, there is one, a small one, compared to many of them, that has a hand written notation "non o" in quotes just above the upper border and identifying Imigration Bureau Sub Div1, Imm Div 1 and the dates of my first 90 day extention after my tourist visa expired.

It seems logical the O indicates "long stay" and "A" could stand for abroad?

What is still unclear, is the airport immigration office granting extentions that overlap existing extnetions. Chiang Mai immigration was loath to grant extentions until the current one was close to expiration, ie. a day or two.??

Thanx buddy...one wonders therefore, why a multiple is necessary. For Gods sake, don't leave Muang Thai without a re-entry permit. Get a multiple if you plan to travel much. You will negate that O/A if you leave and re-enter without it.

Interestingly enough I was in Sihanoukville, Cambodia when this thread started. Before I departed Pattaya for Cambodia I'd asked a couple of long term residents here about the need for getting a re-entry permit given my visa status. They both agreed it wasn't necessary.

But, just to be certain I went to Thai Immigration in Pattaya and asked there and was told that I didn't need a re-entry permit given I have a one year multiple entry permit with the O-A visa.

Wednesday evening (Feb. 18) I arrived at Don Muang and was admitted without any mention of a re-entry permit by the immigration officer. The only thing he said was, "One year??". I said "Yes." And he stamped me in for 365 days, i.e. entry good until Feb. 2005!!!!

So, do I now have a new date to get my one year extension on my O-A or do I still have to get it extended in October which is 365 days after my first use of the O-A visa???

Another trip to Immigration is in order ;-)

-redwood

Redwood 13,

Your experience adds but one more wrinkle to the mystery of Thai immigration. I thought I had this O-A thing figured out, but I guess not.

My understanding was that after processing the O-A paperwork in the States, you would then get a single entry, 90 day visa stamp. Then, upon arrival at Don Muang, you would immediately proceed to the immigration window, where they would further stamp your passport, allowing for a 365 day stay. If you wanted multiple entries, it is at this point you would apply. And, of course, pay some more money.

Your experience was, obviously, different. And any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

First, what did the visa you received in the States say? Was it labelled "Non Immigrant O-A" or just "Non Immigrant O?" You've already mentioned that it was stamped 'multiple entry' Was the effective date that of the application, or that of the airline ticket departure date? (The airline ticket requirement is a completely new wrinkle, at least to me.)

When you got to Don Muang, did you follow the hoards of people through the immigration boothes -- or did you go to the immigration teller windows located off to the right as you face the boothes? What did immigration stamp in your passport? And, assuming you're at the teller window(s), did you have to pay anything more (over the $125 you'd already paid in the States)?

My questions are because, before your experience, the O-A procedure in the States appeared to be a goat rope, even nonsensical (like the requirement to have your medical and police forms 'notarized' -- which only guarantees signatures -- and I'm sure my doctor and police chief would not go to the notary office with me). But your experience sheds some really new light, and hopefully new policy, not a one time quirk. I now have this vision of getting a "Non Immigrant O-A" visa, multiple entry, while Stateside. Then, arriving at Don Muang, going through the boothe, and having a '365 day stay' stamp applied.

Oh, could you PM me the name of the honorary Consulate?

Many thanks for your time and info.

Jim, each individual can only relate what their personal experience has been in regard to dealing with Thai Immigration. It appears that each consulate and even each officer at Thai Immigration has a certain amount of leeway in how they interpret the regulations. Given that I'll answer you questions as best I can, given my personal experience.

The visa I have is a "Non-Immigrant O-A" - "Multiple Entry" valid to be used up to one year from date of issue.

Yes, I wan't expecting to have to show an airline ticket until I got the requirements from the Honorary Consulate that I used. This seems to be one of those requirements that varies from consulate to consulate.

At Don Muang I just went through immigration as I'd normally done in the past visits when I had a 60 day Tourist Visa. The officer stopped and thought for a couple of seconds when he saw the "N-I O-A" visa and then simply stamped my passport with the usual entry stamp along with the date stamp which he'd manually changed to give me a 365 day entry validity. No muss, no fuss and no additional money required.

A "goat rope"? Yes, indeed, especially if you're referring to the Los Angeles Consulate. They have the notarization requirement but the consulate I used didn't and I just noticed a few days ago that the DC Embassy appears not to require notarization but I'd call to be sure if you're going to use them. Does New York City?? I don't think so but I can't remember for sure. I've often wondered if LA's rule was simply another way to discourage folks from even applying there.

Not so much "new policy" as lack of consistency from consulate to consulate, immigraion office to immigration office and officer to officer.

I've PM'd you.

-redwood