Domino's Pizza

Dominos in America rocks. Always wondered why they weren't in los. Hope they don't kill it like pizza hut did. Pizza hut serves cardboard with cheese. Note to Dominos: keep using tomato sauce. Can't wait for them to reach Udon.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had a pizza there about a month ago & it was ok. Definitely better than Pizza Hut & Pizza Co but not as good as an authentic Italian restaurant pizza.

They opened on Sukhumvit soi 20 (I think) in Bangkok and talking to one of the staff who says they intend to open more outlets in Bangkok. Didn't ask about other major towns.

They deliver within a fairly limited range from their outlet.

Yes they have returned - hopefully will have better management than last time when at least half our orders were routed to the wrong outlet and were lost/wrong or arrived late. It got so bad the local manager provided a personal phone number to order as the central dispatch never got it right. In those days there was also a competitor from Oz (providing movie posters) that normally had the best price and on a good day was good - but most days our local outlet under-cooked or otherwise messed it up. At the price charged for pizza it should be much better quality than I have tasted (and my standards are not that high).

Guys, there are a couple of recent threads here focusing on the arrival of Domino's in BKK and various members here opining on their Thai pizzas after having tried them, including comments from yours truly. Give the old search box a try.

I always though Domino's back in the States, in Domino's BAD old days, was pretty CR*P pizza. While I welcome their arrival back to Thailand and BKK lately, my initial samples of their pizza here weren't anything to write home about, unless you're a big fan of pizza-flavored bread.

The thing is that CR*P pizza for America might be pretty good for Thailand. After all these years, I would be happy with a typical Pizza Hut pizza with a New York crust like you get everywhere in the U.S., but they are not available here. However, I hardly ever ate Pizza Hut when I lived in the U.S. - where much better is available (unless I was in real hurry).

Edited by Ulysses G.

• 4 weeks later...

I was a fan of Dominos back in cali, but I can't hide the fact that the pizzas here have nothing to do with Dominos in US of Europe. Ingredients look like being of a lower quality especially the peperoni.

It's just an average pizza in Bkk.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a fan of Dominos back in cali, but I can't hide the fact that the pizzas here have nothing to do with Dominos in US of Europe. Ingredients look like being of a lower quality especially the peperoni.

It's just an average pizza in Bkk.

Look like the usual Thai fusion pizza you mean...

Why must thais change (ruin) pizza, and make it taste like shit?

I sure don't make or look for westernised thai food.

Because it was first adapted to the American market, so it was second hand already, from there on it went even further down.

For real pizza go to Italy.

• Like 2

Because it was first adapted to the American market, so it was second hand already, from there on it went even further down.

The voice of ignorance. Pizza in much of the U.S. matches up to anything in Italy. Many people think that it is better.

Italians are wrong. Not about cars or suits. About pizza, and they’re not entirely mistaken about that, only about crusts and buffalo-milk mozzarella. They’ve got the tomato part right. Pizza was created by the Italians—or maybe by the Greeks, who brought it to Naples, but let’s not pile on the bad news. Right now it justly belongs to us. We care more about it. We eat more of it, and unlike the Italians, we appreciate it at dinner, at lunch, and at breakfast, when we have it cold, standing up, to make hangovers go away. Italians don’t really understand pizza. They think of it as knife-and-fork food, best after the sun goes down.

Read More http://www.gq.com/food-travel/alan-richman/200905/pizza-american-pie-25-best#ixzz2TVQBeR8d

Right now it justly belongs to us. We care more about it. We eat more of

it, and unlike the Italians, we appreciate it at dinner, at lunch, and

at breakfast, when we have it cold, standing up, to make hangovers go

away. Italians don’t really understand pizza. They think of it as

knife-and-fork food, best after the sun goes down.

blink.pngcrazy.giflaugh.png

• Like 2

Right now it justly belongs to us. We care more about it. We eat more of

it, and unlike the Italians, we appreciate it at dinner, at lunch, and

at breakfast, when we have it cold, standing up, to make hangovers go

away. Italians don’t really understand pizza. They think of it as

knife-and-fork food, best after the sun goes down.

blink.pngcrazy.giflaugh.png

Come on anguid.....get stuck in to this stuffed crust deep panned pineapple and chilli beef pizza muncher! laugh.png

The voice of ignorance. Pizza in much of the U.S. matches up to anything in Italy. Many people think that it is better.

Italians are wrong. Not about cars or suits. About pizza, and they’re not entirely mistaken about that, only about crusts and buffalo-milk mozzarella. They’ve got the tomato part right. Pizza was created by the Italians—or maybe by the Greeks, who brought it to Naples, but let’s not pile on the bad news. Right now it justly belongs to us. We care more about it. We eat more of it, and unlike the Italians, we appreciate it at dinner, at lunch, and at breakfast, when we have it cold, standing up, to make hangovers go away. Italians don’t really understand pizza. They think of it as knife-and-fork food, best after the sun goes down.

Read More http://www.gq.com/food-travel/alan-richman/200905/pizza-american-pie-25-best#ixzz2TVQBeR8d

What a bizarre post!

I´m sorry but there are those who can adapt and improve different kinds of food, like the Japanese and there are those who can't... like the Thais. Pizzas in the US taste a hundred times better than the hollow-crust-stuffed-with-low-quality-pizzas they have here.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow bud, I am American and I am disturbed by this. Your mentality is why so many people hate Americans. Pizza in American much like every other cuisine has just been changed from its origins to fit American tastes, we dont own it! It's been SUPER SIZED from the original more delicate and healthier version and has basically become giant flat bread sandwiches. The only American pizza that I really like anymore is true NY style hand tossed pizza, unfortunetly this style of pizza hasn't caught on here.

• Like 2

How can you be "disturbed" that I said pizza in much of the U.S. matches up to anything in Italy? It is an opinion that many people agree with. You seem to think that your opinion has more validity than anyone else. rolleyes.gif

There were so many things you said in your post that honestly made zero sense and you continue to make zero sense. I was disturbed by the fact that you repeatedly said that America "owns" pizza and then provided backup to this statement. I viewed this as a bit of a culturally elitist attitude which I find disturbing given that you seem to be misinformed on how italians actually eat pizza. Have you ever been to Itlay? Well I have and pizza is offered up for consumption in many different forms. You can have it for lunch, dinner, and even get it on the street and eat it as a snack with your hands.

Furthermore, my main point was that they are just different and made for different tastes. The longer I've lived here I have come to appreciate the more true, Italian style pizza because they generally use fresher and better ingredients like freshly cut tomatoes, salami, mozzarella di bufala, which in my opinion is better than most of the crap blend cheeses they use on American pizza, I also love a good brick oven charred crust. They also tend to combine ingredients that offer up flavors that compliment each other and unlike most American variants, they don't overload the pizza with sauce and cheese which can can drown out the toppings. But like I said previously, there are certain types of American pizza that I do miss from time to time but if given the option between true Italian pizza and say NY pizza I would go with the original.

Edited by thenoilif
  • Like 1

There were so many things you said in your post that honestly made

zero sense and you continue to make zero sense. I was disturbed by the

fact that you repeatedly said that America "owns" pizza and then

provided backup to this statement. I viewed this as a bit of a

culturally elitist attitude which I find disturbing given that you seem

to be misinformed on how italians actually eat pizza. Have you ever been

to Itlay? Well I have and pizza is offered up for consumption in many

different forms. You can have it for lunch, dinner, and even get it on

the street and eat it as a snack with your hands.

Furthermore, my main point was that they are just different and made

for different tastes. The longer I've lived here I have come to

appreciate the more true, Italian style pizza because they generally use

fresher and better ingredients like freshly cut tomatoes, salami,

mozzarella di bufala, which in my opinion is better than most of the

crap blend cheeses they use on American pizza, I also love a good brick

oven charred crust. They also tend to combine ingredients that offer up

flavors that compliment each other and unlike most American variants,

they don't overload the pizza with sauce and cheese which can can drown

out the toppings. But like I said previously, there are certain types of

American pizza that I do miss from time to time but if given the option

between true Italian pizza and say NY pizza I would go with the

original.

amen wai.gifwai.giflaugh.png

• Like 1

How can you be "disturbed" that I said pizza in much of the U.S. matches up to anything in Italy? It is an opinion that many people agree with. You seem to think that your opinion has more validity than anyone else.

There were so many things you said in your post that honestly made zero sense and you continue to make zero sense. I was disturbed by the fact that you repeatedly said that America "owns" pizza and then provided backup to this statement.

More nonsense. I said " Pizza in much of the U.S. matches up to anything in Italy. Many people think that it is better" and provided a quote from a newspaper article that supported my opinion. Why do you think that there was a link that said "read more" and provided a web address? Maybe you can send your absurd complaints to the author of the newspaper story. giggle.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

• 2 months later...

A few updates to pass along here about Domino's, which has been expanding their footprint of stores around BKK.

--For now, they're having an all-day special every Tuesday that is buy one, get one free of the same size for any of their 9 (medium) and 12 (large) inch pizzas.

--Until Aug 31, they're offering 30% off any 9 or 12 inch pizza orders for deliveries handled by their Sukhumvit Soi 1 location, which is a newly opened one.

--On our last order, they missed their promised 30-minute delivery guarantee by a wide margin. And after we called and asked about the guarantee, they did honor it and gave us the pizzas we'd ordered for free (when they arrived about 50 minutes after our order had been placed). Considering this is Thailand, it's pretty amazing they actually honored their guarantee. But then again, Domino's (Thailand) isn't exactly a Thai company.

--Having tried a variety of their pizzas over the past few weeks, the ONLY one I've found to be passably decent (and actually even not bad) is their hand-tossed/pan crust pizza with the Ultimate Pepperoni topping, which actually tastes almost like a regular pepperoni pizza and has a modest but decent amount of cheese ontop.

--Tried their Veggie pizza... bleeech!!! Tried their Hot and Blazing pizza... It isn't hot or blazing or even has much flavor. Tried their Deluxe, a bit better, but not as good as the pepperoni.

--And worst of all, today for the first time, tried one of their pizzas with the "thin and crispy crust." All I can say it...it does live up to its name... the crust was thin and crispy...and tasted and had the consistency of kind of eating a pizza made from saltine crackers. Dry, stiff, pretty tasteless. The pizza dough from the pan/hand tossed variety at least comes out with some semblance of taste and consistency.

--That said, my Thai wife really likes their Pepperoni pan pizzas...so I guess we're going to continue being a customer. Today she tried the thin and crispy crust variety, took one bite, and then handed the slice back to me refusing to eat any more of it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK