The Sil And Her Dumplings

it would be my wife's business with Lek as the partner...we would need a well located premises and a line on good ingredients and there is always the risk of failure and losing USD20-30k which I can't afford as I have health issues

The wife's business is common practice as much easier to placate bureaucracy.

But why such an initial outlay of USD20-30k? This is a big risk.

You've less to lose with a smaller outlay and more to gain by allowing the business to build naturally, if at all. In the meantime you can gauge the commitment of your wife and SIL and other various family members that will certainly want their share of the pork fillet. But all the time you keep close reign on the finances. You are Mr Motivator and the linchpin to the success of the business. Once you embark, don't ever let it slip.

Reading TutsiW's ramble about big Lek made me think of this one from Sir Alfred Hitchcock's To Catch a Thief. Note that John Robie's (Cary Grant) housekeeper Germaine was also a rather stout woman:

H. H. Hughson: The pastries are light as air.
John Robie: Germaine has very sensitive hands and an exceedingly light touch. She strangled a German general - without a sound.
  • Like 1

it would be my wife's business with Lek as the partner...we would need a well located premises and a line on good ingredients and there is always the risk of failure and losing USD20-30k which I can't afford as I have health issues

The wife's business is common practice as much easier to placate bureaucracy.

But why such an initial outlay of USD20-30k? This is a big risk.

You've less to lose with a smaller outlay and more to gain by allowing the business to build naturally, if at all. In the meantime you can gauge the commitment of your wife and SIL and other various family members that will certainly want their share of the pork fillet. But all the time you keep close reign on the finances. You are Mr Motivator and the linchpin to the success of the business. Once you embark, don't ever let it slip.

we would haveta find a premises which would haveta be suitable for a good trade and it would b expensive to rent...but I'm friendly with a lot of the old chinese blokes around here and could maybe find something cheaper that suits from their connections...but when the business took off they would want a bigger piece of the pie...only natural...

re: the Hitchcock, yeah that's a famous line but I'm sure that Lek would only want to strangle the women in my household as she believes that they don't feed me right...the wife and the step daughter only fancy pig innards and rice with the occasional fatty pork and the step daughter has implied: 'as much as I love you, tutsi yer falang 'food' tastes like <deleted>...' but she does make a tasty khaao tom muu for my benefit on occasion...

Lek gets quietly but powerfully annoyed when she is advised that I've been back on the 7-11 hotdogs again...

all the more reason for folks to watch films more and to see the connection between storytelling in general and the medium...

as we are the enlightened (and older, maybe) we gots a big job on our hands...

and, I want to bring home a video camera and put it in a conspicuous place and then watch when the step daughter looks and sez: 'what's that?'...and she will know what I say when I remark: 'you got some stories to tell...pick it up and use it...'

yeah...

hey...maybe I should open a dumpling shop up on the Shettlestone Road...right by the junction with Killin Street; big Lek and daughter Pan would cause quite a stir with the wee jimmys around there...

c'mon...who's in? blether, Smokes?...plenty of quality meat from the butcher shops around there but ye need to have the makin's fer the little pastry noodles...so's that they don't fall apart when biled...

down at the Scotia Bar folks are suppin' their halves of Tennants and Grouse and mumblin': 'ye had them dumplins then?' 'nah, but them big brown asian women are sumpin' t'see, I'm told...'

'I'm also told that the owner is a yank that supports Celtic...'

Do you mind I'm on a diet sad.png

All this talk of dumplings and the like has got me salivating licklips.gif

I've got three creme eggs in my safe waiting for the lovely eek and I'm very proud of myself for not tanning them already, I hope eek appreciates the torture I've went through for her. biggrin.png

581705_518550521516608_1032943990_n.jpg

ps Tutsi and onionluke, the famous Bairds Bar has lost it's license......some guy got slashed to bits in it and the owner just threw him out on the street, the staff then cleaned up the blood and the night carried on regardless until.......

Strathclyde's finest walked in and said " <deleted> do you think your doing cleaning up a crime scene? and what kind of publican throws an injured client out on the street".

Fair points I would say. coffee1.gif

Edited by theblether

'creem eggs fer ms eek'? hmmm

(where you been, man? I got problems wid la eek and I've been needing yer assistance...)

the Bairds Bar?...is that on the Shettleston Road?...but fair 'nuff, manys the time that only my California accent has extricated me from unpleasantness in the local drinking establishments...'whaaa? Pasadena? <deleted> ye doin' on the Shettleston Road???' and a barman pipes up:'leave him be lads, I know him and his local associates...he was in Managua helpin the sandinistas before he pitched up here...'

(then some grumbling as the razors are slipped back into leather jacket pockets...)

ps Tutsi and onionluke, the famous Bairds Bar has lost it's license......some guy got slashed to bits in it and the owner just threw him out on the street, the staff then cleaned up the blood and the night carried on regardless until.......

Strathclyde's finest walked in and said " <deleted> do you think your doing cleaning up a crime scene? and what kind of publican throws an injured client out on the street".

Fair points I would say. coffee1.gif

Better head round to the squirel then .

• Like 1

(where you been, man? I got problems wid la eek and I've been needing yer assistance...)

the Bairds Bar?...is that on the Shettleston Road?...but fair 'nuff, manys the time that only my California accent has extricated me from unpleasantness in the local drinking establishments...'whaaa? Pasadena? <deleted> ye doin' on the Shettleston Road???' and a barman pipes up:'leave him be lads, I know him and his local associates...he was in Managua helpin the sandinistas before he pitched up here...'

(then some grumbling as the razors are slipped back into leather jacket pockets...)

Sounds about right. smile.png

Bairds is on the Gallowgate, right next to the Barrowlands, at the entry to The Barras......I could imagine you drinking there and not being sure of where you are biggrin.png

As for La eek..........you should know the power of chocolate by now Tutsi coffee1.gif

Sounds about right. smile.png

Bairds is on the Gallowgate, right next to the Barrowlands, at the entry to The Barras......I could imagine you drinking there and not being sure of where you are biggrin.png

As for La eek..........you should know the power of chocolate by now Tutsi coffee1.gif

I misspent a few years round on Stevenson St . Made my first 70 quid one Saturday morning ,the dealers bought all the good stuff early , what a buzz .