Retirement Today At Jomtien

I live in Uttaradit, and the Nan immigration authorities are wonderful. Been real nice to me,.... no problems. My tough luck Nan is at the end of the road up in the mountains a 3-4 hour drive from Uttaradit that is a much more central to the province location ... and on flat land with good 4 lane connections. Oh well,... it is a nice drive if you like driving in the mountains.

And it's only a twice a year drive,... with only once a year 5 hour drive to consulate in Chiang Mai for the notorized income paper.

But worth it to live in wonderful Thailand !

Next month , I'm going to the immigration in NAN for my first retirement extension.

For some reason I always have problems there. They are very rude to me there.

What exactly do they want for the paperwork ( specificly for NAN immigration) ?

How many photo's and what size ?

1900 thb ?

In the same day , or comeback next day?

What about the arrival/departure card from the last entry ?

You don't have to do a border run , I hope , so do they stamp the old departure card with a new stamp or do they

give you a new arrival/departure card ?

Can you go for your retirement extension at another immigration office than the one for your province ?

I live in Phrae , so can I go to Mae Sai if Nan won't give it to me?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost all will require this as that is what determines where you are allowed to apply.

Was not asked for any proof of address when I did my latest retirement extension at Maptaput last July. And, in previous years, the wife's blue house book has sufficed for this purpose - we haven't even been asked for our marriage certificate for dot-joining purposes!

Bit of a poor do IMHO, though, that you have to return to Jomtien the next day for your stamped passport - particularly as this flies in the face of the legal requirement for us farangs to have our passports on us at all times. Mercifully Maptaput have always, to date, stamped my passport there and then without the need for any further visit.

Immigration give you a laminated card to come back with next day, if you are asked for your passport for any reason you just show the card from immigration.

I live in Uttaradit, and the Nan immigration authorities are wonderful. Been real nice to me,.... no problems. My tough luck Nan is at the end of the road up in the mountains a 3-4 hour drive from Uttaradit that is a much more central to the province location ... and on flat land with good 4 lane connections. Oh well,... it is a nice drive if you like driving in the mountains.

And it's only a twice a year drive,... with only once a year 5 hour drive to consulate in Chiang Mai for the notorized income paper.

Next month , I'm going to the immigration in NAN for my first retirement extension.

1900 thb ?

You don't have to do a border run , I hope , so do they stamp the old departure card with a new stamp or do they

Can you go for your retirement extension at another immigration office than the one for your province ?

You must use the immigration office responsible for your province for one year extensions of stay.

You do not give them departure card - you provide a copy of it.

Photo size is 4x6cm and attached to rear of TM.7 form - upcountry they might want 1-3 so have extra.

Every location I know of other than Jomtien retirement is issued at same visit as application.

You normally need financial proof (bank passbook/letter and/or Embassy letter of income and have other proof of that income in case asked) photo copies of passport date page, visa, entry and any extensions as well as departure card and have some proof of address. Fee is 1,900 baht for TM.7 and if you expect best to pay for a re-entry permit at 1,000 baht single or 3,800 baht multi entry.

I've never been asked for residence proof at Jomtien for visa renewal.

You do need it for 90 day reporting, however.

Since I am in and out of the country twice a year, I only do one 90 day report each year.

I didn't take a Spring trip this year.

I assumed my visa renewal counted as a trip to Immigration and consequently,

I was over a month late for my 90 day reporting. They let me slide without a fine!whistling.gif

They were very explicit in telling me they are quite seperate entities.

This is strange to me. There must be a standard policy. I've done several 90 reports in BKK Chang Wattana and never been asked for proof of residence. Only needed TM47 and copy of passport. I will be going in April 22 for first visa renewal (O-A retirement) and was told by friends who have renewed many years they only needed TM7, affidavit of income from US embassy, 2pp photos, copies of all passport pages and fees. And now I am reading that I will still have to do my 90 report which is only 3 weeks after the April 22 visa expiration. Just what is the correct info? Again, anybody? Sorry confused..

Edited by jcnbkk

There is only one photo required.

Normally address is not an issue at Bangkok (unless a change) as an extra report is rather small on the scale of reports made. Provincial offices are more concerned that you are reporting to the correct office (workload).

Yes you will still have to do your 90 day report at stated time.

You should have supporting documents for income in case asked.

Be sure photo is less than six months old (although they normally take another at desk).

1900 thb ?

I use Nan-immigration to, and didn't have any problems on my last few extensions. They are very friendly and the extension is on the spot. I heard they was a person there who was not so friendly, he was a replacement for the woman that normally handles the extension as she was on maternity leave. But she is back now for some time.

The captain there is strict to the rules, but also friendly. He told me and my wife that they expect that there will be an immigraiton office in Uttaradit soon and that my next extension will probably be in Uttaradit. (According to them near the intersection on the Asia highway, where they have the symbols of Uttaradit (The broken sword, a Durian a pineapple and longgon).

Not retired myself, so don't know about the requirements for retirement. I would call them, if you have someone that can speak Thai for you. Their English isn't that great, but they do try.

In the past i treid to go to Pitsanulok, as that is much closer to Nan. But that was refused, I had to go to Nan. Lucky I called first to check.

Extension ready on the spot, except for marriage of course.

There is only one photo required.

Normally address is not an issue at Bangkok (unless a change) as an extra report is rather small on the scale of reports made. Provincial offices are more concerned that you are reporting to the correct office (workload).

Yes you will still have to do your 90 day report at stated time.

You should have supporting documents for income in case asked.

Be sure photo is less than six months old (although they normally take another at desk).

"You should have supporting documents for income in case asked." I guess that's a good idea. As well as copies of residence proof or anything else I can think of, just don't want to miss anything, better safe than oops. Thanks, good to hear from you lopburi3 Edited by jcnbkk

I have one other question if I may. I arrived in country in January, with my 90 day non-imm O visa expiring on 17 April. As I'm within two weeks of that date, when I go in tomorrow to submit my application for extension of stay, does that automatically count as my 90 day report? Or, is that a totally separate process that I need to do with some other type of form and at a date closer to 17 April? I just wanted to be sure whether I needed to fill out another form or not while at Immigration.

Thank you!

NO, YOU HAVE TO GO TO THAT DIFFERENT DESK FOR 90 DAY REPORT! I thought just renewing my yearly was enough..... wrong answer, when I returned 90 days later the sweet smiling officer said 2000b baht for not reporting, when I showed him I was there(Jomtien Imigration Office), he said nope, 2000b. When I asked to see his Supervisor, He said 2000b or I could charge you 2000b per day, up to you. (20apr08)

At Amnat you are always asked to complete a TM47 when you apply for your annual retirement extension and your passport is stamped while you're there no going back tomorrow! No extras just the fee for the extension. As an aside I have been posting my TM47 to Jomtein 3 times a year for over 6 years and even had the start date extended by a month after the form was lost internally. Someone had signed for receiving it so had to send it again, with the post taking 2 weeks for delivery due to the time from Swampy to Pattaya PO being 10 days!

Edited by Anon999

@Lopburi3

"You must use the immigration office responsible for your province for one year extensions of stay.

Photo size is 4x6cm and attached to rear of TM.7 form - upcountry they might want 1-3 so have extra.

Every location I know of other than Jomtien retirement is issued at same visit as application.

You normally need financial proof (bank passbook/letter and/or
Embassy letter of income and have other proof of that income in case
asked) photo copies of passport date page, visa, entry and any
extensions as well as departure card and have some proof of address.
Fee is 1,900 baht for TM.7 and if you expect best to pay for a re-entry
permit at 1,000 baht single or 3,800 baht multi entry."

On page 2 of TM7 it says you lose the 1900 thb whether they granted the extension or not.

What if you got all the right papers , but they won't give it?

On TM7 :

arrived by : is this the bus you take to the im office? From: the place where you live in Thailand

Port of arrival ? I didn't cross a border, so what to fill in ?

What do you write as reason for the extension?

Stay for a period of 360 or 365 days , it doesn't ask for year.

I read in other posts a month before visa expires or your permitted stay ends?

So my non-o expires on 1st of june but allowed to stay (89 days) until june 6th.

If I do a border run before june 1 , can I apply in august for the extension too ?

Not to highjack the post , but I have had problems with the Nan office in the past and even asking for explanation

on filling in a document angers them.

@ preacher

At my last notification of staying in his provinces , I added a letter to ask for the requirements for a complete application,

and they could send it back with a prestamped envelope with the return paper of the notification , but they didn't.

When I speak thai , they want me to speak english.

Maybe Uttradit immigration office will do Phrae too...I can only hope.

It would make it much easier for people to answer if you enclosed quotes using the function in the reply field.

The fee is for application - if not approved the fee is not refundable but you will have seven days to depart if needed. But if you do not have all the papers they will hold it open for you to obtain them.

Last arrival in Thailand as listed in your passport arrival/departure card - probably air from country travel started and Bangkok if you arrived at airport on last entry into country. Or Cambodia to Thai border crossing by land if that was your last entry. They want your arrival card entry - not how you got to immigration that day.

Retirement - 365 days.

30 days or less before your current permitted to stay ends.

If you have a multi entry visa and leave/return for a new stay then before June 1 then you would be able to do in August.

I've managed to spend over 15 years here without encountering any official "looking for baht"

and I've always had good experiences dealing with Jomtien Immigrations.

I suppose you were lucky to never have had to ask them for an Certificate of Address ?

They ask 200 baht for this "no fee" document at Jomtien, and of course no receipt...

But I must admit I have never been asked for extra-money for other procedures (extensions, re-entry,...) smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

1900 thb ?

You must use the immigration office responsible for your province for one year extensions of stay.

You normally need financial proof (bank passbook/letter and/or Embassy letter of income and have other proof of that income in case asked) photo copies of passport date page, visa, entry and any extensions as well as departure card and have some proof of address. Fee is 1,900 baht for TM.7 and if you expect best to pay for a re-entry permit at 1,000 baht single or 3,800 baht multi entry.

I was wondering about that muti entry, which my original O-A visa has. This is my first renewal, or extension. I don't see anything on the TM7 for making the extension multi entry. Do I also have to fill out a TM8 (appl. for re-entry)?

The TM7 is for the extension of stay only.

You will need to do the TM8 for a re-entry permit either single (1000 baht) or multiple (3800 baht) which will be valid for the length of your extension of stay.

You are aware that any entry on a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa gets a new one year stay? So if visa itself is still less then one year from issue you could exit/return for a new one year permitted to stay without an immigration visit for extension. But any travel would then require you get a re-entry permit as above.