Proof Of Income

Applying for a 1 year extension of my non-immigrant O visa based on spouse/father of Thai citizens. I don't have the 400k in the bank this year so am going to get the proof of 40k/month from US Embassy. How early can I get this document? I happen to be in Bangkok and going to Embassy for other reasons but won't apply for extension until mid May. Too early?

Edited by ubonrthai
  • Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just make an appointment (mandatory) fill out income affidavit and pay $50 or 1550 baht.

Info and download link for affidavit here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

They don't ask for proof on income because you swear an oath in frot of consular officer.

I don't think it's early to get affidavit now. Phibun has accepted them much older than that according to reports.

Edited by ubonjoe

Yes, Immigration could ask someone to "show evidence" -- but there is no firm rule that they will nor what they want to see. Usually, they judge people by how they handle themselves at Immigration, how long they've been in Thailand, the age and educational difference between them and their wife, source of income, etc.

They aren't qualified (or really that interested) in looking over someone's 401K statement -- but they love to see official-looking documents from a mannerly person. Chance are they'll just wave it away, without looking, when the document is presented quickly, with a smile.

Wow, no need to show evidence? Could immigration still request additional evidence, e.g. bank statement printouts?

Yes, there is no need to show evidence at the US consulate.

Yes, the immigration office can, at its discretion, ask for supporting documents of your income.

I normally do after visiting Embassy living in Bangkok, or the next day. But do not believe there is any issue within a month and likely longer. The Embassy outreach programs normally only visit once every six to twelve months and most upcountry obtain then and they are accepted. Believe the only firm rule is a new letter each year (and there are even those allowed exceptions on that). Expect if you ask three officials you will likely get three answers depending on the official and how they view you.

Wow, no need to show evidence? Could immigration still request additional evidence, e.g. bank statement printouts?

------------------------

Yes they CAN if they so desire.

ALL retirement or marriage extensions/visas are at the discretion of the immigration officials and they ALWAYS have the right to ask for further information about your application if they so decide.

But, usually, they won't.

Just be aware of that "futher clarification may be required" caveat by immigration.

Do you know the term CYA (Cover Your A--).

When dealing with any government agency that term becomes CYAP.

(Cover Your A-- with Paperwork).

For you Brits .... remember the show, "Yes, Minister"

I had no problem renewing 'retirement extension' on 26 March, on the (partial) basis of an affidavit concerning income obtained from the (Australian) embassy on 27 February.

That seems to be reasonable, as it is a massive hassle to go to your embassy for the statement, then go home (in my case, Chumphon) to Immi the next day. AA

Only US citizens can do 'scouts honor'

the rest of us need proof with stamps,

but even that isn't enough if the immigration officer has a bad hair day

Some other countries also do "scouts honour" as you call it. But the US has the most expats in Thailand that use this method.

• Like 2

The outreach for US is once a year in January here in Ubon which is way to early for my extension due in August.

I normally make my annual embassy run to get my affidavit just a few days before I plan on going to immigration.

If you are using the phibuin Mangashan office, i would not get the embassy letter any older than one month on what was told to me yesterday. I would also make sure you have everything perfect. My friend had to go bangkok twice for his letter as it was 5 weeks old just recently.

Since the OP is already in Bangkok for other embassy business he can take the risk of it not being accepted.

But I would not make a trip just to get the affidavit earlier than 30 days which is the standard period for date sensitive documents here.

Edited by ubonjoe

The link below may be of interest:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610688-no-more-seven-days-later-reports-for-90-days-tm-47-in-phibun-mangsahan/

They asked to see by BKK bank book at Phibun last week, they did not last year. The new regime are quite different. As I mentioned in my post, I thought the stat dec was sufficient proof.

I also keep copies of all my ATM slips when I withdraw in Thailand and photocopy onto an A4 sheet at the end of each month and keep till the next visit. This just ensures you have proof.

Some other countries also do "scouts honour" as you call it. But the US has the most expats in Thailand that use this method.

Australian Embassy use the Statutory Declaration format.

The say that they have no way of knowing if you have ability to achieve the funds required or the ability to transfer.

Mukdahan for what? You can't use the immigration office there unless you change your residence to that Provence.

didn't know that, thanks for the info, looks like will have to try and get it right the first time.

Australian Embassy use the Statutory Declaration format.

The say that they have no way of knowing if you have ability to achieve the funds required or the ability to transfer.

Under is the email I received from the Australian Embassy regarding the Statutory Declaration.

Thank you for your enquiry. The proof of income letter that Thai Immigration refers to is actually a Statutory Declaration, on which you attest to your income etc. This may be completed and witnessed at the Australian Embassy Bangkok. You will need to bring your passport so that we can verify your identity and signature.

As I'm sure you would appreciate, the Embassy cannot actually verify a person's income or their ability to transfer funds etc, however as Thai Immigration insist that people have a document from the Embassy, we use the Statutory Declaration format which is accepted by Thai Immigration authorities. While we do not need to see them, Thai Immigration may also want to see your bank documents and may want these "certified" at the Embassy (you would need to check this with Thai Immigration I'm afraid as this requirement seems to differ from one immigration office to the next).

Unfortunately we have to charge a fee for such notarial services. The fee for witnessing the Statutory Declaration is currently THB640 although this does vary with exchange rate fluctuations. If you need any documents certified, the fee for making a certified copy is THB 960 per document.

The Australian Embassy is located at 37 South Sathorn Rd, Bangkok and the Consular Services Section is open from 0830 - 1630 Monday to Friday. No appointment is necessary.

I belive the law requires it to be within 30 days old. I was unaware of that year before last but when I went to immigration with my letter around two months old they did not take issue with it. I guess it all depends on how they feel about you. Best bet is less then 30 days old or stop by immigration explain your situation and ask if that would be allright.

Moe

I am curious where the the proof of income requirement orginated? Immigration told me that the U.S. government requires it. That begs the question about scouts honor I thought that strange they did not ask for documentation. Reading this thread it seems to be a Thai government requirement?

Comments

Moe.

Just came back from Immigration yesterday for my Non O extension. They are asking for your Work Permit if your funds come from inside of Thailand and a letter from my Embassy if the funds come from outside of Thailand.....

Very confusing now......But hey.....

Edited by LotusBoy