Residency Certificate ~ Did I Make A Mistake?

sunnitimes

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the police "warned" the CM Immigration about collecting the 500 baht for the RC which is supposed to be a free service and CM Immigration throws the problem to them, of course was being retaliated.

Isn't Immigration a division of the police?

Any update on this typical kerfuffle? I need a res. cert. to renew drivers licence. I'm Canadian and there's no consulate. I heard a couple years ago of a 'consular representative' or something. No idea where and what hours. Is the police station (Thai or Tourist) a go or no?

Today I received my certificate of residence at last and for free. The course of delay in my case was the absence of the chief.
I can only guess why I became one and many others not, I think it's because I need it for getting the yellow house book.
I would certainly try a police station. I made a picture from the letter outside immigration but didn't fugure out yet how to publish it here.
Can someone give me some information?

After three failed attempts I can assure you CM Immagration will no longer give the residency certificate. I have received two before to obtain both licenses. Now trying to put my new truck in my name they would not give me one. Visit number one they said sorry it's too busy bc of songkran go to tourist police. They told me I was crazy this is an immigration form. Go back. They even called and confirmed immigration would do it still. Went back to the imm. Office. They said sorry we won't do it until after songkran. Too busy. Only visa stamp now.

I returned to the immigration office now that all the songkran stuff is over, they said sorry cannot. I politely asked why not as I had a copy plan old one I received before. They said we not give anymore. Go to embassy. Was then told to talk to one of the senior officers. He saw my completed application before I even opened my mouth, and said cannot! New system. Go to embassy. Man in front of me was told the same thing. Can we try another immigration office? Or does this mean a trip to Bkk for all us Canadians here?

After three failed attempts I can assure you CM Immagration will no longer give the residency certificate. I have received two before to obtain both licenses. Now trying to put my new truck in my name they would not give me one. Visit number one they said sorry it's too busy bc of songkran go to tourist police. They told me I was crazy this is an immigration form. Go back. They even called and confirmed immigration would do it still. Went back to the imm. Office. They said sorry we won't do it until after songkran. Too busy. Only visa stamp now.

I returned to the immigration office now that all the songkran stuff is over, they said sorry cannot. I politely asked why not as I had a copy plan old one I received before. They said we not give anymore. Go to embassy. Was then told to talk to one of the senior officers. He saw my completed application before I even opened my mouth, and said cannot! New system. Go to embassy. Man in front of me was told the same thing. Can we try another immigration office? Or does this mean a trip to Bkk for all us Canadians here?

If the police won't give you one, I guess it does, unless there's some kind of on-line way that your embassy can do it.

I think immigration are starting to show their true colours.

Like everyone else, I thought the 500bt was a standard government fee. It obviously was a bribe. I don't do bribes, and I'm not happy that my husband paid 2 bribes to get his certificates.

If it's true that they were 'busted' for charging us this illegal fee, it's one of the biggest dummy spits I've ever seen - particularly indicating in writing that you can go to the police (and waste their time as well as your own). It really is so childishly petulant.

Moving on.... We entered on our Australian passport - can anyone advise?? I'm sure I've seen mention of an honorary consulate somewhere in CM. I only want the licence for ID purposes, should have got it last month. blink.png

Perhaps it's worth an article in city news? from where it might role out. Just a suggestion. This all seems to me as a misuse of power.

The thing is, nobody but us care. The Thai's just accept it as a way of life and get on with it. The only people unhappy with the system seem to be Farangs who were brought up to know that bribery, corruption and under the counter payments are wrong. The Thai's grew up with it and accept it as being the way it is.

I'm really annoyed that my husband paid 1,000 thb for 2 residency certificates that were illegal charged. Paying tea money is just as bad as accepting it in my opinion. If nobody paid, it would go away naturally. We would never do it knowingly, but the whole office must have been in on the scam. They would all have to know about it, and nobody did anything about it (until the police got jealous or Big Boss Man p'ed somebody off enough to teach him a lesson). It's a way of life to them. We can't change their mindset, we have to accept it and grumble amongst ourselves about it.

Totally agree Konini, someone who was not in on the sharing caught wind of what was going on. I got mine in March and paid the 500 because I thought that was the fee. The day I was there there must have been 10 or more people waiting for their RC, multiply this by 500bht and 5 days a week even if it was shared with whole office not a bad perk.

Anybody who imagines a nation that not filled with corruption at one level or another, or at least where money talks much more effectively than honesty and pureness of purpose - has my sympathies. Though it is often said that ignorance is bliss, I admit.

In my homeland, for example, it is now OK for corporations to donate unlimited cash to political causes, making citizens rather outgunned, since there are no limits to advertisements (propaganda) using one device and another. In jury trials, the rich have brilliantly adept law companies, with supporting staff, taking their case. Only recently was a United States senator stopped from requiring cash up front before a constituent could consult members of their particular party. Our history is filled with entire eras of corruption on a massive scale at national and local scale. It has not stopped, either.

As a general thing, a good part of 'our way' is only to try for improvement - theirs too. In time.

Edited by CMX
  • Like 1

So it now seems we must get our RC's from our respective consulates or embassies. Judging from some of the charges for this service being bandied about on TV, although wrong maybe the 500bht tea money at immigration was not such a slap in the face.

• Like 1

The standard text entry box is for just that - quickly posting a text message. For more complicated things, when you're in that box there is a "More posting options" button. Press that.

Now you will have a new text entry box with more advanced features.

You will see an "Attach Files" option. Browse (your computer) for the photo in question and once it's selected, click "Attach This File"

Your file is now uploaded to your profile on the TV server.

The resulting thumbnail should appear inbetween the text box and the "Attach Files" box. On the right hand side of it, you'll see an "Add to Post" button.

Finally, click that and you'll end up with the photo in the post, like this:

post-142120-0-27067700-1366860918_thumb.

So it now seems we must get our RC's from our respective consulates or embassies. Judging from some of the charges for this service being bandied about on TV, although wrong maybe the 500bht tea money at immigration was not such a slap in the face.

I have absolutely no idea why the decision to make it free was ever taken. While I regularly get the hump about having to deal with bs bureaucracy, at the same time I have no problem paying for services rendered when I do need something, even if it's to safisfy a bs requirement. Why they didn't make the damn thing 500 baht in the first place beggars belief.

• Like 2

The old form had 500 THB printed on it. I tried to find a copy in my paperwork but gave up.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is no 'fee' printed on the residency form. I remember a long time ago when I was a newbie in Thailand, the immigration officer pointed to a fee on some form and I pointed out that was not the service I wanted. He immediately folded and processed the residency paper without further comment.

The standard text entry box is for just that - quickly posting a text message. For more complicated things, when you're in that box there is a "More posting options" button. Press that.

Now you will have a new text entry box with more advanced features.

You will see an "Attach Files" option. Browse (your computer) for the photo in question and once it's selected, click "Attach This File"

Your file is now uploaded to your profile on the TV server.

The resulting thumbnail should appear inbetween the text box and the "Attach Files" box. On the right hand side of it, you'll see an "Add to Post" button.

Finally, click that and you'll end up with the photo in the post, like this:

attachicon.gif0.jpg

Thank you.

Anybody who imagines a nation that not filled with corruption at one level or another, or at least where money talks much more effectively than honesty and pureness of purpose - has my sympathies. Though it is often said that ignorance is bliss, I admit.

In my homeland, for example, it is now OK for corporations to donate unlimited cash to political causes, making citizens rather outgunned, since there are no limits to advertisements (propaganda) using one device and another. In jury trials, the rich have brilliantly adept law companies, with supporting staff, taking their case. Only recently was a United States senator stopped from requiring cash up front before a constituent could consult members of their particular party. Our history is filled with entire eras of corruption on a massive scale at national and local scale. It has not stopped, either.

As a general thing, a good part of 'our way' is only to try for improvement - theirs too. In time.

+1

Right now, Chiang Mai Immigration is overwhelmed, a problem in no small part caused by overwrought farang. All this pissing and moaning about 500 baht!!! US$17?! 8 quid! And so on! Get real!! Give it up! This is a true service. There is no legal requirement for immigration to issue such letters. And YOUR government will charge a lot more !

As I have posted on a similar thread, I also believe that the guy I have watched complete these forms is suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome!

Corruption ?! Lighten up!! rolleyes.gif

Moaning faring's have caused this problem ,now we have to go to the consulate and get charged five times more for the same thing (2500baht).500 baht is fine let them charge me I will willingly pay.

CM Immigration has accomplished something. After possibly (supposedly?) being challenged for taking 500 Baht for a service that is supposed to be free, they decided to stop providing the service. That will teach the complaining farangs won't it. After a short period of forcing the farangs to pay more at their consulate (if they are lucky to have one in Chiang mai), the farangs will be begging to have the service restored and be posting how happy they are to pay 500 Baht (for that service that is supposed to be free). Yes, CM Immigration has accomplished something.

same situation as me, how to work ot out later?

Like everyone else, I thought the 500bt was a standard government fee. It obviously was a bribe. I don't do bribes, and I'm not happy that my husband paid 2 bribes to get his certificates.

If it's true that they were 'busted' for charging us this illegal fee, it's one of the biggest dummy spits I've ever seen - particularly indicating in writing that you can go to the police (and waste their time as well as your own). It really is so childishly petulant.

Moving on.... We entered on our Australian passport - can anyone advise?? I'm sure I've seen mention of an honorary consulate somewhere in CM. I only want the licence for ID purposes, should have got it last month. blink.png

Why do you call them bribes, how about 500baht for a service. Now you can put on your goody two shoes and pay a great deal more at your consulate or maybe better get to go to Bangkok as part of the service. Bribes are usually paid to get something you are not entitled to or paid to speed up the service. Got all of my DL and scooter registration before they stopped issueing them.

CM Immigration has accomplished something. After possibly (supposedly?) being challenged for taking 500 Baht for a service that is supposed to be free, they decided to stop providing the service. That will teach the complaining farangs won't it. After a short period of forcing the farangs to pay more at their consulate (if they are lucky to have one in Chiang mai), the farangs will be begging to have the service restored and be posting how happy they are to pay 500 Baht (for that service that is supposed to be free). Yes, CM Immigration has accomplished something.

heheheeh they will be doing more than begging probably paying 1,000baht but still cheaper than my consulate. Lets get real here folks they gave a service and charged a small amout for it now you can pay up to 4 times for the same service else where, lets hear the complaining when it sinks in

Why do you call them bribes, how about 500baht for a service. Now you can put on your goody two shoes and pay a great deal more at your consulate or maybe better get to go to Bangkok as part of the service. Bribes are usually paid to get something you are not entitled to or paid to speed up the service. Got all of my DL and scooter registration before they stopped issueing them.

I call them bribes because that's exactly what they are. I would be happy to pay it if it were the official price, they were illegally taking money off people to do something they should have been doing at no charge. An undocumented payment is a bribe. In your own words, bribes are usually paid <SNIP> to speed up a service. Speedy service OK. Totally illegal.

I've been inconvenienced in the past by not paying bribes, but I'd rather be inconvenienced than break the law - the giver of an undocumented payment is as guilty as the taker.

If refusing to pay bribes makes me a goody two shoes so be it, and I'm not alone. I sleep well at night whistling.gif

I call them bribes because that's exactly what they are. I would be happy to pay it if it were the official price, they were illegally taking money off people to do something they should have been doing at no charge. An undocumented payment is a bribe. In your own words, bribes are usually paid <SNIP> to speed up a service. Speedy service OK. Totally illegal.

I've been inconvenienced in the past by not paying bribes, but I'd rather be inconvenienced than break the law - the giver of an undocumented payment is as guilty as the taker.

I fully understand and respect your right not to pay tea money. Personally, I have no problem at all. During my many years in Thailand I have got away with a few traffic violations for 100-200 baht, plus I have paid government offices for things I really needed, knowing full well what I was doing. Of course anyone who pays 'tea money' to anyone is part of the problem, which is inherent in the system, no excuses! However, some people go on and on about motorcycle helmets, no seat belt drivers getting away with 100 baht and how they should receive hefty fines or public hanging etc. They then fail to acknowledge that they pay tea money elsewhere and go into complete denial, making it sound as if they are philanthropist's contributing to a noble cause instead. Because it suits them, they take the double standard "it's OK for me to pay tea money at a government office, but not for the poor Thai motorcyclist etc".

I fully understand and respect your right not to pay tea money. Personally, I have no problem at all. During my many years in Thailand I have got away with a few traffic violations for 100-200 baht, plus I have paid government offices for things I really needed, knowing full well what I was doing. Of course anyone who pays 'tea money' to anyone is part of the problem, which is inherent in the system, no excuses! However, some people go on and on about motorcycle helmets, no seat belt drivers getting away with 100 baht and how they should receive hefty fines or public hanging etc. They then fail to acknowledge that they pay tea money elsewhere and go into complete denial, making it sound as if they are philanthropist's contributing to a noble cause instead. Because it suits them, they take the double standard "it's OK for me to pay tea money at a government office, but not for the poor Thai motorcyclist etc".

I don't think I could have put that better myself. wai2.gif

There are only 2 things about which I pontificate - bribes and drink driving. I would be a total hypocrite if I indulged in either. Everything else I indulge in is not up for pontification laugh.png