What To Do Against Noisy Neighbours?

asiasurfer

if you complain , then there might be strange things that will happen to your house during the night , you are best to build a high fence blocking some noise or just moving .

Agree, many years ago I lived in an apartment building in Petchaburi Road, Soi 5. A bit upmarket but not all that expensive.

A new neighboor moved in, mid twenties, he ran a street stall on Silom Road. He arrived home at around 3.a.m. every morning, pretty much always with friends in tow, and food and beer etc.

He loved hard rock music and it started 2 or 3 minutes after his door slammed shut. Continued till maybe 6 a.m. when I guess they all fell asleep.

After 3 or 4 nights of this I complained to the apartment office, and they spoke to him. Worst thing I could have done.

Every time he came home the music was even louder. He switched off my electricity at the main fuse box every morning (3.a.m.) and threw the fuses away, and many times he put a tin trash can full of rubbish at my door, set alight to it, knocked on the door and ran back into his room.

The smoke and smell upset all the neighbours on my floor and other floors, they all complained. He they switched off the electricity to every room on my floor and threw the fuses away when he arrrived home and continued the rubbish fire.

The office posted a security guard to wait and try to catch him, and the guard did quickly catch him, the office called the police. They searched his room and found a stash of ya-ba. He quickly went to jail. Problem solved.

• Like 1

Start fermenting fish in your front yard

Nah they love fermented fish. Buy some BLUE CHEESE - over ripen it and blow it their way with a fan. Maybe first offer them some of the overripe, furry bubbling mess and show them how to eat it in spoonfuls and tell them how much you like it and how you have loads in your house at any time and eat it all the time, day and night. And apologise if it begins to smell a bit but you can't help your addiction. The whole soi will clear in no time.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

if and only if you can get your neighbors to go along with you and sign a petition you may get some relief, however Thai's never want to get involved and will put up with all kinds of s--- from rude loud neighbors as long as it is not a falong! then they will sue! otherwise they are a bunch of wusses who are mostly afraid of retaliation.

• Like 2

if and only if you can get your neighbors to go along with you and sign a petition you may get some relief, however Thai's never want to get involved and will put up with all kinds of s--- from rude loud neighbors as long as it is not a falong! then they will sue! otherwise they are a bunch of wusses who are mostly afraid of retaliation.

Correct.

• Like 1

Look for a better place, without noise.

Why should I leave my home? This is a residential area. There was no garage before I moved there...

Whether or not you will not win if you try to cause any problem with a Thai, soundest advise given as i see it is to move to another area, will save Grey Hair and maybe your life.

Some people really live in a strange Thailand. There are rules here, you can get the police to help you can go to the major of the village. But just let your wife handle it first stay out of it.

It does depend on how loud everything is and what hours because a lot is permitted. But even here in this village the shops make sure they don't bother the neighbors too much. Thais do think about others and there are ways to go. Don't give up right away you can always move.

Good point rbblok. But the type of business my neighbours have is not really an official business. They are just some young guys making money by repairing and tuning cars + motor cycles.

That's why I said they seem unapproachable. I would even be uncomfortable to let my wife go there for talking. But sooner or later we will have to try anyway, I guess...

Why should I leave my home? This is a residential area. There was no garage before I moved there...

Ah, define residential, does it have a wall round it and security guards at a gated enterance?

If not, take pot luck with the rest of the masses, thats why some pay extra for the peace of mind living in a "gated community" brings, keeps the Somchais and their hillbilly upcountry bumpkin ways out.

When we bought our house in Buriram, there was a large vacant block of land next door. We are on the outskirts of a village. Last year thwe owner of the land decided to build a lage warehouse, yes it takes up 95% of this land.

We lived through the 6 months construction period, then the 2 months of alterations where they added all of the things that they forgot to do originally (like toilets & covering most of the remaining land with work areas).

This year they bought the land next door to them & destroyed every bit of greenery, filled it, fenced it & they have built a large garage to store their trucks and other equipment.

To be fair, they are not too noisy seeing there is about 20 men employed there (now that all the construction is over).

The point I am making is that, as I believe, there is no land zoning here in Thailand, as there would be in most western countries, so there is nothing to stop people creating whatever industry they like next door to your house.

The worst noise we have really are the village loud speakers which blast out for hours on end, either the village elder spruking ad nosium or bloody "music" blaring (which I am told the villagers like!!!grrrrr!

This worked in a condo for a loud Thai family neighbor.

I hooked up some speakers to my computer and put them right against electric box conduit that passes sound.

I downloaded a bunch of haunted terror sounds. Screams, squeaky foot steps, chains, moaning, torture and some I am forgetting. I don't play them too loud but after a while they lower the TV and quiet down. I lower my sounds.

I don't want them to really put 2 and 2 together but they have be wondering if the place is haunted.

Once in while I play them faintly at night.

I was worried they might try to make a lot more noise to drive the spirits away.

So far it's working and highly entertaining

A variant of this and equally entertaining would be to try and record bedroom sounds of the neighbors with a sensitive microphone and play them back into the street through a 500-watt sound system at maximum volume.

Friends of mine actually did this, as their neighbors had a particularly loud (and frequent) sex life which was clearly audible through their walls a couple of times a day, and which they were fed up with. It was a delicate situation to discuss it, but once the sounds were played back out the window the noise stopped permanently.

I hooked up some speakers to my computer and put them right against electric box conduit that passes sound.

I downloaded a bunch of haunted terror sounds. Screams, squeaky foot steps, chains, moaning, torture and some I am forgetting. I don't play them too loud but after a while they lower the TV and quiet down. I lower my sounds.

I don't want them to really put 2 and 2 together but they have be wondering if the place is haunted.

I was worried they might try to make a lot more noise to drive the spirits away.

A variant of this and equally entertaining would be to try and record bedroom sounds of the neighbors with a sensitive microphone and play them back into the street through a 500-watt sound system at maximum volume.

Friends of mine actually did this, as their neighbors had a particularly loud (and frequent) sex life which was clearly audible through their walls a couple of times a day, and which they were fed up with. It was a delicate situation to discuss it, but once the sounds were played back out the window the noise stopped permanently.

Come on that's ridicules. I'm not talking about this type of noise. I'm talking about the noise from the "garage"...

The type of noise you mean wouldn't bother me a bomba... cheesy.gif

also the fart board is great fun

when I start broadcasting epic loud farts I can guarantee it gets their attention

http://www.fart-sounds.net/fart_sound_board.htm

for the workshop problem something like a strobe light could cause them to feel sick. I can't tell the OP what would work but its the principle of negative feedback.

They make dog collars like that. When the dog barks then it gets a shock.

So take that concept and try to employ it in your situation without getting shot at etc.

Why are so many people terrified of dealing with problems? What a horrible situation to be living in fear.

The Thai people I know deal with unruly neighbours by discussing the situation with the civil authorities.

Those municipal officers in their uniforms are on the payroll for just these type of situations. Also, this is what the local government officials get paid to do: Intervene and mediate. They like to do it too.

• Like 1

Hey fellow surfer, i live next door to a motocy repair,boat repair ,fishing tackle, food store,gas station, home..

They also have a nightly gathering out front till the wee hours.

One of the loudest bastards there is me. Even with my limited native skills, i have forged many good friends and connections for the area and of more import, is the fact that i have shown that a farang is a regular dude and suffers same same,as a Thai.

Granted i have made a sound studio and used for the entire place all the new reflection and insulating construction properties available.

The 8 mill windows and foam injected frames help. and i floated some walls just 1 inch of dead space works, and the new trees and cement wall help too. Check out Home Pro and the new sound absorption foams and products. Avoid stepping on any toes and gather allies.

Now my wife only brings me home if _i_ get too loud! Good luck.

Hey fellow surfer, i live next door to a motocy repair,boat repair ,fishing tackle, food store,gas station, home..

They also have a nightly gathering out front till the wee hours.

One of the loudest bastards there is me. Even with my limited native skills, i have forged many good friends and connections for the area and of more import, is the fact that i have shown that a farang is a regular dude and suffers same same,as a Thai.

Granted i have made a sound studio and used for the entire place all the new reflection and insulating construction properties available.

The 8 mill windows and foam injected frames help. and i floated some walls just 1 inch of dead space works, and the new trees and cement wall help too. Check out Home Pro and the new sound absorption foams and products. Avoid stepping on any toes and gather allies.

Now my wife only brings me home if _i_ get too loud! Good luck.

Nice to hear that you forged some friends and allies. I think you definitely have a point there. However, it doesn't really help if you have to work all day long and come home only to sleep...

Whatever actions, try not to end up as the local "trouble maker", as this will embaress your wife and she will suffer too.

Find out when they have their rest hours, and then you make your noice.

Whatever actions, try not to end up as the local "trouble maker", as this will embaress your wife and she will suffer too.

Bit contradictory isn't it?

Bit contradictory isn't it?

By trouble maker, I meant a person sending County Officials to the neigbours, because this makes it.......official, and basically force the situation to escalate in or other direction.

I have not read all posts in this thread. But I do also have problem up here in isaan by these xxxxxx roasters, music playing all times of night, dogs barking.

My solution was to have my A/C going at nighttime, I added a floorfan and in addition to that I bought at Tesco Lotus: 3M,s "tekk" earplugs. The package consists of 8 pcs earplugs, that are really great, I use it EVERY night, and it is really doing wonders for my sleep at night. The earplugs costs 75 baht per pack (8pcs).

Good luck...

Glegolo

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

You could do like one of my (Thai) neighbors. When frustrated, get really drunk, then go outside and start kicking garbage around in the street, while waving a broom in the air and cursing to yourself. He seems to think it helps the situation at least.

I see only one sensible solution to this.

Breed and train up some 80kg pitbull-wolf hybrids to kill anything smelling of engine and let them loose one night sitting back with a fine glass of red serenaded by the screams and shouts of your tormentors.

Just be a man, go round and tell them to <deleted>, Jeeez, Fatangs are their own worse enemies, they are petrified of Thai guys, Thai guys know this and take full advantage..

I'm ashamed to be a Farang at times, you are such pussies, pathetic.

I read that time and again farangs are so afraid of Thai guys, seems to be true.

Just be a man, go round and tell them to <deleted>, Jeeez, Fatangs are their own worse enemies, they are petrified of Thai guys, Thai guys know this and take full advantage..

I read that time and again farangs are so afraid of Thai guys, seems to be true.

Afraid... yes maybe that is true.... But if you do not know what you are up against, maybe it is much healther to stay aside and be more diplomatic. People like you guys that suggest these actions are not only very uneducated of the thai culture, you also show a lack of judgement in life.

You seems to live in a bubble down there in the pesthole of Pattaya and have only contact with your fellow drinkingbodies, but there is a life existing outside that scen, and try to learn for once in your life.....

Kids....ignorant kids.......blaaa

Glegolo

• Like 1

>

Afraid... yes maybe that is true.... But if you do not know what you are up against, maybe it is much healther to stay aside and be more diplomatic. People like you guys that suggest these actions are not only very uneducated of the thai culture, you also show a lack of judgement in life.

You seems to live in a bubble down there in the pesthole of Pattaya and have only contact with your fellow drinkingbodies, but there is a life existing outside that scen, and try to learn for once in your life.....

Kids....ignorant kids.......blaaa

Glegolo

I don't live in Pattaya, i live surrounded by Thais in the suburbs of BKK not a foreigner in sight for miles. If I don't like something ill tell it how it is. Had the police here for sound (caused by me) Told them that the neighbor never complained to me, told them it was 8pm and not loud. Had some neighbors move in making loads of noise late at night. Asked them if it could be a bit more silent, no problems at all they were more quiet.

Thais are not vicious monsters waiting to attack you, just normal people and while it might go wrong more often it goes well.

• Like 1

You can do many things, however doing something may have consequnces.

The safest choice is to call City Hall of where you live and report the problem and the times of it. Also advise them of the time when it usually takes place.

They will send someone one to check it out, if you lucky enough and that person arrives at the time of all the noise, it will be deal with, though no guarantee of the outcome.

It is easier if the noise is made on public street rather than inside a home

Yes I had the same problem as I live in a 2 story appartment, the rear faces a house, the neighbour was continuing building steel fences for sale, grinding and hammering was the afternoon noise...also his son was a yaba dealer at night awaking me every hour on his runs..his two stroke was the problem..no muffler...and a blue headlight to make him stand apart from the traffic...the loud cloud of smoke and flickering blue light one could see him blocks away! The verbal threat from two stroke and the noise did catch the landlords attention on complains...a letter sent by landlord to city hall cleaned up the problems..now I can say justice has been done here..two stroke got 2 yrs as this was his 3 time, his parents bailed him out the last two..now only peace prevails but the barking of the dogs now as this keep the burglers at bay..thank you doggies...just watch where ya step...the fresh ones are fatal...the sun dried ones can be easly kicked away...Keep well and quiet...silence in golden..Mr. Ron