What Did You After You Lost Your Job / Resigned From Your Job?

Few weeks ago I decided to resign from my job as I just didn't like it.

What did you do after you lost or resigned from your job?

- start crying...

- go back home where you come from

- moved in with your friends / parents-in-law

- immediate start looking for a new job

I just took the opportunity to travel for two weeks through Thailand to visit my friends.

Now I am sitting behind my computer thinking about my future, go look for a new job again or start my own company......

i liked my job very much but i didn't like at all that the taxman took half of the money i earned. that was the reason i resigned and retired 23 years, 4 months and 5 days ago.

i liked my job very much but i didn't like at all that the taxman took half of the money i earned. that was the reason i resigned and retired 23 years, 4 months and 5 days ago.

Consider yourself lucky, in my country they now want to take 75% of my income

• Like 1

On a particularly dismal Friday in the latter part of September 2008 I started my two weeks annual holiday.

The following Monday I went back to the works employment office and handed in my four weeks notice.

By the following Thursday I was ensconced in this Condo at VT 5 Jomtien and loving it !

Have been here ever since and it's quite likely that I'll never leave.

Just call me smiley ....thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Worked for myself. In fact, I started doing this 2-3 years before I left my job. One of the best things I ever did. No boss to hassle me, no commuting, no sitting in an office all day. Get up when I like, work when I like, travel wherever I like, and still get a steady income. I don't know why more people don't do it. It's not brain surgery. Very easy to build up a nice income over a few months/years.

>i liked my job very much but i didn't like at all that the taxman took half of the money i earned. that was the reason i resigned and retired 23 years, 4 months and 5 days ago.

Consider yourself lucky, in my country they now want to take 75% of my income

NK eh. sad.png ..............smile.png

The best way to get a new job is already be employed.

Have you ever noticed that women show more interest in a guy who already has a girlfriend?

If you don't have one, women seem to think there's something wrong with you.

Employers are exactly the same.

Have you ever noticed that women show more interest in a guy who already has a girlfriend?

cheesy.gif

Regrettably true. I am unemployed for the first time in my life, and coincidentally having trouble finding work for the first time ever.

What did I do? (1) Learned more about investing to start getting better returns. (2) Continued persistently with my research & networking to find a job (3) Came to Thailand to chill out (but still job hunting long distance).

Regrettably true. I am unemployed for the first time in my life, and coincidentally having trouble finding work for the first time ever.

What did I do? (1) Learned more about investing to start getting better returns. (2) Continued persistently with my research & networking to find a job (3) Came to Thailand to chill out (but still job hunting long distance).

Work for yourself. Much more satisfying. Why rely on other people?

• Like 1

Job ended suddenly but had secured a military pension and did well enough in the corp world for 5 odd years afterward.

Moved to Thailand very worried about money, managing the new 4 figure monthly was a shock after years of 5 & 6 figures. Quit biting my fingernails, put everything into Excel and after 2nd month, emerged we are actually in good shape.

5 months on, haven't looked for a job, have no plans to at this point. I still pinch myself, allowing to think this is permissible in one's mid-40's, but here we are and life seems pretty good. post-4641-1156694572.gif

• Like 2

<snip> I don't know why more people don't do it. It's not brain surgery. Very easy to build up a nice income over a few months/years.

One reason is that some people, probably many people, can't work solo ... they need structure and people around them to motivate them to get things done. I don't think it's a matter of being lazy, just that some people need to have interaction and an environment different to their home to be productive.

For example, I had a gap year b/w graduate and post-graduate studies and I met this young guy who had a tropical fruit farm and he paid me a very generous amount to work with him a couple of days a week .... when I was there he was very busy and got a lot done, but when he was by himself he just frittered away time not doing much. So work from home or own business without employees is not a good choice for some.

I agree with Fletch about the desirability of keeping busy when between jobs, and another way to do so - which no-one has mentioned yet - is to write a book. Again, not for everyone, but worth considering for many others.

<snip> I don't know why more people don't do it. It's not brain surgery. Very easy to build up a nice income over a few months/years.

One reason is that some people, probably many people, can't work solo ... they need structure and people around them to motivate them to get things done. I don't think it's a matter of being lazy, just that some people need to have interaction and an environment different to their home to be productive.

For example, I had a gap year b/w graduate and post-graduate studies and I met this young guy who had a tropical fruit farm and he paid me a very generous amount to work with him a couple of days a week .... when I was there he was very busy and got a lot done, but when he was by himself he just frittered away time not doing much. So work from home or own business without employees is not a good choice for some.

I agree with Fletch about the desirability of keeping busy when between jobs, and another way to do so - which no-one has mentioned yet - is to write a book. Again, not for everyone, but worth considering for many others.

Good point. But surely it's easier to force yourself to work than sit around complaining, or have to return to your home country because you don't have enough money. Surely this should be enough to motivate most people. Also, if people can't work solo, they can work alongside others who are in the same situation. Sometimes you need to just get on with it instead of making excuses. If people prefer to remain poor and complain about it, then that's their choice. But it's not very constructive. Life is too short for such excuses.

I remember it well. I'd been working in London on an ICT contract proposal (I had 28 years experience in IT services and consulting). When we finished the proposal in October 2011 I needed to take 3 weeks of accrued holidays or risk losing them at the end of the financial year.

I was single at the time, so on the spur of the moment I booked a flight to Bangkok. Of course I'd heard a bit about Pattaya so after a few days I took a taxi down the coast. I'd not booked a hotel, and the taxi driver simply dropped me off in Soi 8, off beach Road, outside the Flipper Lodge Hotel. I checked in for 3 nights...but stayed for the rest of my trip, never leaving Pattaya until it was time to go home. I'd had the time of my life. It opened my eyes to a whole new world. Of course the girls...but most of all the great weather and ambience of the place.

Got back home, wrote my resignation letter and flew back to Thailand late November 2011. After an interview I was offered a teaching job (IT and History) at an international school in Pattaya within 7 days of my return (of course I'd applied for numerous jobs by email during my time back home).

Happily settled in Pattaya now, the school organizes my work permit and annual visa renewal. I just have to report to Jomtien immigration every 90 days. The salary as a teacher is very low by western standards, but so is the cost of living. I get by with more than a little help with the rental income from my house in England and I'm looking forward to a comfortable retirement in Pattaya beginning in 2028 (assuming I live that long!).

My advice is to just go for it, wherever you decide to live. Good luck.

• Like 2

In 1991 was offered a $450,000 buyout of my pension. I was 34 at the time. The next year I went back to work for the same union/company making $ 6 figures. After 4 more years they offered to buy me out agian for about $300k. After that I became involved in residential/commercial real estate where I trebled those monies. With that money I bought a couple of large struggling mobile home parks. I was able to turn those around in a couple of years and realized 97% profit on my investment (not counting huge income) . I regret selling them frankly, though they were in a region of the country I just couldn't live in.

Anyway, so then in mid 2000 I was short the NASDAQ 100 and that worked out pretty well after a hairy start. I became fairly proficient at risk/reward strategems and continued trading futures until 2010. After that I became a hard money lender/bridge financier and that brings us up to the present.

Worked for myself. In fact, I started doing this 2-3 years before I left my job. One of the best things I ever did. No boss to hassle me, no commuting, no sitting in an office all day. Get up when I like, work when I like, travel wherever I like, and still get a steady income. I don't know why more people don't do it. It's not brain surgery. Very easy to build up a nice income over a few months/years.

Well don't keep it a secret, what you do? I like the sound of it

• Like 2

Well don't keep it a secret, what you do? I like the sound of it

Rob banks?

• Like 2

I had been unemployed twice and once without pay for about 7 months. I resigned from my first job and went back from wherever I came from, spent about 3 months looking for another and back to Thailand with a new job. Worked for year and half and the company went broke, did not get paid almost 7 months until today, gave up that job and spent some free time with my gf before hunting for another one.

3rd Job, worked for a year and got a better job and without thinking just resigned and now working at a top company in a top position. Working here is always best. Work Hard and Party Harder but always keeping the options OPEN as this is unpredictable Thailand, anytime anything can happen...

After losing my job I retired. Happily. I have always hated work of any type.

But anyone in the West now over about the age of 45 lived in a unique time of great career opportunities and global economic expansion that will never be seen again so it was easy for us.

• Like 2