Air Travellers Flock To Thailand For Songkran Celebrations

webfact

We can cry and rant all we want about the alleged "good ol' days"- they are gone!

And stupid rules don't bring 'em back!

So I will be out on the 13th, soaked, drunk and partying...and after that enjoy the groceries I bought before ans will not leave the house until the madness is over!

I am guessing the numbers are higher because of thai's returning from abroad for songkran. I don't think there is much of an increase of tourist who come for this. My friend who will be leaving during songkran could not get a re-entry permit from pattaya immigration yesterday. After arriving at 10 am he was told to they closed the que as they could not process anymore before Wednesday of next week. So he will try again then.

Your friend could get a re-entry permit at the airport.

He is going from Don Muang. I am not sure if they have a desk there.

They do :- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/588383-re-entry-desk-at-dm/

Considering the number of accidents during this time of festivity, either by car, cycle, van or bus, lorry or racing canal boats causing mini-tsunamis, I do actually wonder when the first aircraft accident will emerge; when captains race and shed fuel on neighbouring planes for fun and Songkhran delights? whistling.gif

-mel.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that most of the people arriving over the next week don't know anything about Songkran.

sure? not everyone is an ignorant tourist who knows nothing or little about Thailand.

What i guess is that they are happy and be glad for having holidays in Thailand and will enjoy their stay here. thier happiness seems to be other peoples misery.

but then no matter, those responsible for the increase of air traffic and planes coming probably do know what songkran is and it is the reason why they come.

Might be that more flights mean that a lot of people want to escape the madness??

4 days to go!

- until I visit Makro, Big C, etc for a final stock-up before padlocking the gates for a week. smile.png

I think my drinks delivery is on its way:

post-35489-0-19647200-1365226269.jpg

smile.png

You sure that'll get you through? cheesy.gif I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices that everytime the TAT announces how many this and how many that, the numbers go up and down like a yo-yo. Sure looks good on paper though. To the BIB, Songkran is like Christmas. Money coming in from everywhere. I can't wait to see all the you tube posts afterward. coffee1.gif

Anyway, with strict control on drinks, high-power (water) guns and a few more, I'm sure that Khao San road here in Bangkok will be a family friendly place with Songkhran

yes. and that also means an almost high end tourist friendly place.

What you mean 'almost' high-end tourist friendly? Without the drinks and water guns and a ban on splashing too much water I fear the place may be devoid of people as it doesn't really have anything to offer families. sad.png

Unfortunately I doubt the place will be empty, as the locals might have made an arrangement with the authorities to declare the street there a 'closed user group access only' affair rolleyes.gif

just yesterday I was reading a thread about swampy being full to capacity now all of a sudden it can handle another 40 flights a day. usual BS.

RIP the 300+ happily waiting for songkran who will soon be lying on a pile of charcoal at the local temple for the sake of a celebration.

Edited by marstons

The good old days where people respected you and just put a dab of water on the forehead seem to have been lost.

Back in about 1850.

1_display.jpg

As there weren't too many jeepies in 1850 I guess you mean 1950 wink.png

• Like 1

ZhouZhou. I'll have a double of what you drink as it obviously blinds you to the realities of Songkran. For those of us that actually reside here and those that work here, there is nothing worse than having to shop for groceries or go to work soaking wet because some dumb Thai or foreigner does not understand what Songkran is all about. The good old days where people respected you and just put a dab of water on the forehead seem to have been lost.

Sorry that you have to work, most of us do not and enjoy songkrhan. Been in Thailand for over a decade and still love songkhran. I also have friends that have come to Thailand during songkrhan on my suggestion and they too enjoy. But then again they are not an old fuddy duddy. Some Thai's still do the tradtional song krhan with senior management at work places and at home with their elders, but then no problem going out and ejoying a good splash afterwards. If need to go shopping go at night. There area always options, but so many just look for a reason to complain.

• Like 2

ZhouZhou. I'll have a double of what you drink as it obviously blinds you to the realities of Songkran. For those of us that actually reside here and those that work here, there is nothing worse than having to shop for groceries or go to work soaking wet because some dumb Thai or foreigner does not understand what Songkran is all about. The good old days where people respected you and just put a dab of water on the forehead seem to have been lost.

Sorry that you have to work, most of us do not and enjoy songkrhan. Been in Thailand for over a decade and still love songkhran. I also have friends that have come to Thailand during songkrhan on my suggestion and they too enjoy. But then again they are not an old fuddy duddy. Some Thai's still do the tradtional song krhan with senior management at work places and at home with their elders, but then no problem going out and ejoying a good splash afterwards. If need to go shopping go at night. There area always options, but so many just look for a reason to complain.

xmas is for kids, as is songkran , little things please little minds ..........thats why thais and tourists like it , 1st time i experienced it i thought it was great ,........ but ive grown up since then !

But I don't really believe the rumour, that the AAT would welcome all those extra-flights at Swampy, with a fire-hose at each end of the runways, as part of the Songkran-celebrations ! That's just their new in-flight plane-washing facility ! whistling.gif

Edited by Ricardo

I have friends who come every year for songkran and they love it. They are not elderly people tho and still know how to enjoy themselves. Personally I think it is great fun but ask me again in about 30 years and I may be the same as some other moaners.

The festivals I hate is bloody christmas, can't stand that time of the year stupid bloody farang festival that has lost all it's meaning.

Edited by chooka

In the "good old days" they tipped scented water over a persons two thumbs which were held out half bent and together. There are many days prior to Songkran to shop for groceries and those who work over the period (bus/taxi drivers and important service providers) seem to enjoy themselves like the other 99% of the population!

Well extra flights into Thailand also have to fly out. Are inward bound flights fuller than the outward bound?

Reporting that more passengers are using the airport doesn't necessarily mean that those passengers are flying in.

I tried to book Emirates to London, but online showed no available flights (in economy).

I assumed it was a problem with the computer system because of the new codeshare with Qantas so I went into their office and they confirmed they genuinely had no seats available until after Songkran.

Ended up going on Thai and found out they've (FINALLY) updated their 747s to have seatback TVs in economy (large iPad sized touch screens), so I might find myself flying Thai more often again...

Agreed. About 11 years ago in Bangkok I was trapped in my condo during Songkran and made a dash for the 7/11. I was waylaid by a couple of Thai youths who very politely asked if they could put some powder on my face, so I agreed - thinking I was going to get sloshed with it. But they were very careful and put a dab of powder on each cheek, and then gave me a wai and said "Thank you, sir."

I was quite touched.

Hasn't happened since though.

My only getting wet time (in 4 years) was almost exactly the same. I ran out of milk so had to go to 7/11. On the way back a little girl with a small water pistol was almost asking me if she could squirt me. I let her and got a couple of little squirts which set her off giggling. Thai's seem to recognise if you don't want to play they leave you alone - they never come near me when I'm carrying fruit and veggies back from the market in the mornings, and watching from my balcony if a truck appears to be carrying something that maybe shouldn't get wet, they don't throw the water on that particular one. The Thai's have it right, the tourists and backpackers are the problem in my opinion.

I like Songkran, I like watching the kids over the road with their little buckets, but I don't want to get a soaking myself, and so far it hasn't happened. I probably should say I like Songkran from the comfort of my balcony.

• Like 1

Bill here's a novel idea for you which might help you join in the festivities a little more. How about you try doing a couple of days grocery shopping in advance- its not as if you haven't got 365 days to prepare. I imagine people take great delight in soaking you with water when you are walking down the street snarling at everyone have the audacity to enjoy themselves! I know i wouldsmile.png

• Like 2

Why would thousands of people want to come to a country who banned water pistols and drinking? Waste of money.

thats all we need! a bunch of drunken idiots coming here to take a free shower! you would think that they could wash up at home! banned water pistols? IN YOUR DREAMS1 Just watch! the thai's are all talk and no action!