Traffic Congestion Crisis Discussed At Pattaya City Hall Meeting

Rimmer

Traffic Congestion Crisis discussed at Pattaya City Hall Meeting

roads-6.jpg
PATTAYA:--A new sub-committee has been set up to examine the problems of traffic congestion in Pattaya City with the view of solving the problem in cooperation with various private and public agencies.

The initial meeting of the new sub-committee took place on Friday at Pattaya City Hall, chaired by Deputy Mayor Khun Ronagit, who was joined by representatives from the town planning department and various Police Divisions responsible for the city.

It is hoped that within 5 years Pattaya City will generate income from tourism totaling more than 2 Billion Baht.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/82046/traffic-congestion-crisis-discussed-pattaya-city-hall-meeting/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-04-06

Delegates agree that one of the major problems is too many taxis on the roads and they will now look to work with the Pattaya Baht Bus Cooperative to ensure that lower numbers of taxis are on the roads at off-peak times. The committee will also discuss their disregard of other road users when stopping to collect passengers and illegal parking of the Baht Bus’s and Taxi’s which can also cause traffic congestion. One recommendation put forward relates to the introduction of clearly marked

taxi ranks in strategic locations which will reduce traffic problems and provide convenience for those wishing to hire such a vehicle.

What they are saying here is they need to have effective enforcement of the existing laws. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Honest baht bus drivers offering service to one and all. clap2.gif Taxi rank with TAXIS cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

The condo developer's have a lot to answer for for the build up of traffic in recent times. When a project has a 1000 odd condos in it and assume half are sold to Bangkok people imagine the extra cars coming down here all thr time.

Now times that by the number of developments popping up everywhere.

They should impose a road tax on every condo sold to improve the roads.

With the amount of condos popping up all the time I also don't see an increase in other services being planned or built such as more capacity water storages etc.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The condo developer's have a lot to answer for for the build up of traffic in recent times. When a project has a 1000 odd condos in it and assume half are sold to Bangkok people imagine the extra cars coming down here all thr time.

Now times that by the number of developments popping up everywhere.

They should impose a road tax on every condo sold to improve the roads.

With the amount of condos popping up all the time I also don't see an increase in other services being planned or built such as more capacity water storages etc.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

good post,the roads are rammed even more at weekends,due to the thais from BK arriving.Cant blame them for wanting a weekend away,but something has to be done,maybe park abd ride from the darkside,then the roads there will be rammed,whats the answer.

First, any new building next to a road ridden with traffic jam should be required to make 1 floor worth of parking slots,

and secondly i think City hall need to buy up a few buildings around the congested areas and turn them into parking houses.

After that it is possible to enforce no parking on roads, and that would free up 1-2 lanes on every road for twice the traffic flow

Note to Thailand: Don't offer new car buyers a 100,000 THB incentive to purchase a new car and then wonder why all of a sudden there is more traffic

That discount never made any sense to me, especially as many models have a waiting list of several months here anyway. Most governments only offer new car discount schemes when sales are so poor that the industry is threatened with imminent collapse, which at least makes sense.

Note to Thailand: Don't offer new car buyers a 100,000 THB incentive to purchase a new car and then wonder why all of a sudden there is more traffic

Note to Thailand: don't grant permit to build without addressing on site parking and traffic increase in the vicinity. Because once it's built, it's harder and more expensive to address traffic problems.

Can we please have more Notes to Thailand? :rolleyes:

What are the rules for parking spaces vs number of properties on new buildings? I mean, if there are any?

Good question. Many owners in the farang quota part of condos probably don't bother to own cars but I suspect that virtually all Thai owned condo's, especially Bangkok owned ones, would have a car.

There are obviously no rules / formulas / requirements for parking for any venue here in Thailand......if there were then we would not have buses two and three abreast on Sukumvit for the Pattaya Floating Market almost every day of the week....it can only get worse when the new Cartoon Network's water park opens in Na Jomtien......there is already a problem with illegal on the road parking at the new attraction Mimosa across from the Ambassador....and on it goes

Oh goody, another sub committee to discuss the issue. I think we have another 25 sub committees to go through before any action is taken.blink.png

Much like all the hand wringing over the jet ski banditos on Beach Rd. A lot of talk and very little action.

Take half the baht buses off the road period - problem solved, next!

That's brilliant. It was already taking over AN HOUR to get a seat on a baht bus from Jomtien to Pattaya during peak evening hours this high season because the vast majority of them were riding empty and REFUSING to be buses. Shall we all WALK? Is that it? The baht bus solution is to FORCE them to be BUSES and then get a dedicated fleet of REAL taxi meters. Then there could be fewer buses and more taxi cars, adjusted over time to meet the actual needs of ... BUSES and TAXIS.

What you really don't want to do is FORCE even more people to buy or rent their OWN vehicles. The public transport "service" here is already below par for a city of this size and density. Making it even worse is NOT the answer.

Yeah I get it. The authorities are not really going to do anything. But is very annoying that there one group they aren't even considering, the residents and tourists who actually use and need the public transport system here. It's ALL about the private drivers and that is totally wrong.

Edited by Jingthing

That discount never made any sense to me, especially as many models have a waiting list of several months here anyway. Most governments only offer new car discount schemes when sales are so poor that the industry is threatened with imminent collapse, which at least makes sense.

It was to say: "Sorry about the flooding... Please don't relocate your factories..."

Take half the baht buses off the road period - problem solved, next!

And stop the tour buses from coming into the center of town and then double parking to let half a dozen tourists on.

Gotta agree - a few years ago the traffic problems (which with hindsight were nothing worth complaining about) could be blamed on the baht buses and their total disregard for any other road user. And whilst that is still the case in some locations nowadays I think it's the frickin' tour buses; Taking routes down roads way to narrow for a large bus; Making u-turns which end up being 3-point turns at junctions that are clearly marked as "No U-Turn for 6-Wheelers and up...", and as thenervoussurgeon said, double parking all over town.

Whatever happened to that monorail plan? It may make sense if they used it as a park and ride from say Banglamung into downtown.

Errrm.... I don't suppose these tour bus companies are owned by the Baht Bus Co-operative by any chance are they...?

Congestion charging...

Baht Bus regulating, agree with JT far too many running round empty, for a long time I have felt the Baht Busses need to be regulated with identifiable routes, controlling the numbers of busses on each route, rules such as clearly displaying the route the BB is working and picking up all passengers, not deviating from the route or turning round before the end of the route, and bus inspectors to police the BB's

post-20091-0-69276400-1365493909.jpg

• Like 1

Congestion charging...

Baht Bus regulating, agree with JT far too many running round empty, for a long time I have felt the Baht Busses need to be regulated with identifiable routes, controlling the numbers of busses on each route, rules such as clearly displaying the route the BB is working and picking up all passengers, not deviating from the route or turning round before the end of the route, and bus inspectors to police the BB's

attachicon.gifblakey.jpg

What's bizarre is this BASIC obvious problem the city hall people don't even begin to get. It seems they baht bus cooperative which also owns the fake taxi meters has them by the short hairs.

• Like 1

Congestion charging...

attachicon.gifblakey.jpg

What's bizarre is this BASIC obvious problem the city hall people don't even begin to get. It seems they baht bus cooperative which also owns the fake taxi meters has them by the short hairs.

What is so ironic is that if it was better organized they would be earning more money for less work, using less fuel and reduced wear & tear on the vehicles.

• Like 1