Quit Complaining, Thais Are Amazing Because.......

theblether

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stories for the new year. So glad I sold everything and moved here.

Let me skip work and go back home for a drink outside by my gazebo. Can't say I can do that easily back in the states... Playing hooky from work and getting away with it.

• Like 1

If you have a plastic pig and paid 130 baht for a tube, you were ripped.

I agree, though, they are great if you have a breakdown--of the mechanical kind--and your day can go from ordinary & stressed to pleasantly ecstatic in a jiffy. However, it can be equally exasperating in the area of service, when the girls in a timber merchants, for example, would rather facebook or prune their nails or just sit around than sort you out (regardless of your general demeanour). The best of a laidback, developing people in the first instance, the traits of an indifferent third world mentality in the second.

Similar to theBlether last weekend.

Brake pedal went to floor at the entrance to Khao Yai NP. Crawled down the hill in low gear expecting the worst because I don't speak a word of Thai, it's Saturday and a holiday weekend and I'm a 2 hour drive from home.

Found a tiny shop, no inventory at all. He starts to work, takes the bad hose, off on his scooter and back in 10 minutes with a new one in the shrink wrap. Another few minutes, some stomping on the pedal to bleed the air and he's done.

Now, this guy has me by the short and curlies and I'm expecting to wince at the cost.

Tries to charge me all of 400 baht ($13). Handed him 2000, knowing it would have cost at least twice that "back home".

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Brake pedal went to floor at the entrance to Khao Yai NP. Crawled down the hill in low gear expecting the worst because I don't speak a word of Thai, it's Saturday and a holiday weekend and I'm a 2 hour drive from home.

Found a tiny shop, no inventory at all. He starts to work, takes the bad hose, off on his scooter and back in 10 minutes with a new one in the shrink wrap. Another few minutes, some stomping on the pedal to bleed the air and he's done.

Now, this guy has me by the short and curlies and I'm expecting to wince at the cost.

Tries to charge me all of 400 baht ($13). Handed him 2000, knowing it would have cost at least twice that "back home".

Impulse by name Impulse by nature.

Well played that man

impulse, on 11 Apr 2013 - 13:54, said:

jia yen yen.

impulse, on 11 Apr 2013

jia yen yen.

Sadly, I'm not sure whether I've been insulted....or complimented...

Edited by impulse

Most of the above comments are truly heartwarming. Probably coming from Tourists or "new arrivals" to paradise. Tourist = 2 week milionaires. The "new arrivals" = I sold my house in Europe, therefore I am rich.

So it comes, that they are paying a shade-tree grease-monkey 75% of his daily wage to fix a tire. And the restaurant connaisseur, that tips the waitress 200% of her daily wage?

What was the last time those folks displayed similar generous behavior in their home country?

But it can be exused as long as it is within a learning process for "new arrivals". Some are fast learners, others are not. The fast-learners soon discover, that overpaying everything may earn them a opulent smile, but nothing more. Quite the opposite will happen: Anyone overpaying on a voluntary basis is considered a "Kwai", and will not gain respect among Thai-People. (Unless one happens to do this bit in Pattaya, of course).

The slow-learners usually just fade away after a certain period of time. Probably back to where they came from. Leaving behind a happy Thai-Family with a house, that was built according to european building-codes.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Most of the above comments are truly heartwarming. Probably coming from Tourists or "new arrivals" to paradise. Tourist = 2 week milionaires. The "new arrivals" = I sold my house in Europe, therefore I am rich.

So it comes, that they are paying a shade-tree grease-monkey 75% of his daily wage to fix a tire. And the restaurant connaisseur, that tips the waitress 200% of her daily wage?

What was the last time those folks displayed similar generous behavior in their home country?

But it can be exused as long as it is within a learning process for "new arrivals". Some are fast learners, others are not. The fast-learners soon discover, that overpaying everything may earn them a opulent smile, but nothing more. Quite the opposite will happen: Anyone overpaying on a voluntary basis is considered a "Kwai", and will not gain respect among Thai-People. (Unless one happens to do this bit in Pattaya, of course).

The slow-learners usually just fade away after a certain period of time. Probably back to where they came from. Leaving behind a happy Thai-Family with a house, that was built according to european building-codes.

Cheers.

This seems to be harsh judgement, although i have to say i fully agree with the overpayment thing...

I hate to tip 20 or 40 Baht and been looked down as stingy..coffee1.gif

Cheers.

You know, I'm going to amaze you and agree with just about everything you said. You don't need to tell me about Kings For A Day, I've seen them all my life, I still see them, lifting thousand pound pay packets on a Friday, skint by the Monday.......the publicans and bookies love them.

However where I do take issue is that you fail to understand like too many people that many of we "tourists", ( which seems to be a grave insult on this forum ) can...........now wait for it, brace yourself.

Afford it.

I lay you odds that each and every one of you guys knows people like me, we swan in with serious dough a few times a year, and swan out again. That's because a lot of us are still making serious money in our home economies. So while Thailand becomes unbearably hot and disappears under 12 feet of flood water, we wander back to our countries and fill our boots up.

Once the coast is clear we come back and get the best of the place. What's wrong with that? blink.png

• Like 1

are there any among us who drive that haven't had several (punctures) over time?

Driving was a major part of my job back in the UK, I averaged over 1,000 miles per week. Most of the places I had to visit were on industrial estates and punctures were a frequent occurrence, never fixed, always had to be replaced, cost me a fortune.

In Thailand I've just passed the 100,000 km mark in my car, I've had one puncture. The local garage plugged it, and the tire was good until it needed replacing by normal wear and tear.

Head for Buriram and hang a right.

Keep it simple.

are there any among us who drive that haven't had several (punctures) over time?

Driving was a major part of my job back in the UK, I averaged over 1,000 miles per week. Most of the places I had to visit were on industrial estates and punctures were a frequent occurrence, never fixed, always had to be replaced, cost me a fortune.

In Thailand I've just passed the 100,000 km mark in my car, I've had one puncture. The local garage plugged it, and the tire was good until it needed replacing by normal wear and tear.

Head for Buriram and hang a right.

Keep it simple.

Just for your benefit, I shall, out of necessity of course.

• Like 1

Cheers.

You know, I'm going to amaze you and agree with just about everything you said. You don't need to tell me about Kings For A Day, I've seen them all my life, I still see them, lifting thousand pound pay packets on a Friday, skint by the Monday.......the publicans and bookies love them.

However where I do take issue is that you fail to understand like too many people that many of we "tourists", ( which seems to be a grave insult on this forum ) can...........now wait for it, brace yourself.

Afford it.

I lay you odds that each and every one of you guys knows people like me, we swan in with serious dough a few times a year, and swan out again. That's because a lot of us are still making serious money in our home economies. So while Thailand becomes unbearably hot and disappears under 12 feet of flood water, we wander back to our countries and fill our boots up.

Once the coast is clear we come back and get the best of the place. What's wrong with that? blink.png

Nothing wrong with that at all. Lucky if you can do it I'd say thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Cheers.

spoilded and bitter

Cheers.

spoilded and bitter

+1.

Medical help may be required to ease your excessive bile, swissie.

I recently went back to a street market we used to frequent last year. We used to eat there and always had good food and good service. As a mark of my appreciation for the ladies' efforts, I always made a point of tipping in excess of what my gf thought to be sufficient. (If I leave all paying to her, there would be no tips!). On the first night back there for seven months, the two sisters made a fuss of us, with big smiles and warm welcomes. They said that they were happy to see us again after so long. That's one of the things I really like about Thailand: smile and appreciate what people do for you, and they do it more and more. Appreciate their food and you can win hearts.

Our meal was, as always, lovely food, and at the end, they under-charged us, insisting that that was the correct price. Honour was saved all round by accepting their kind gesture, and by leaving a small tip.

I learned that their brother is ill and cannot work at the moment, which makes things harder for them, so we intend to go to eat there as often as we can, tipping as we did last year, and so help them out a little without it looking like charity.... more of a win-win situation.

BTW..... A friend warned me that if I posted this in General, I'd be shot down.... but we all love positive stories, don't we?...... whistling.gif

• Like 2

Cheers.

spoilded and bitter

+1.

I recently went back to a street market we used to frequent last year. We used to eat there and always had good food and good service. As a mark of my appreciation for the ladies' efforts, I always made a point of tipping in excess of what my gf thought to be sufficient. (If I leave all paying to her, there would be no tips!). On the first night back there for seven months, the two sisters made a fuss of us, with big smiles and warm welcomes. They said that they were happy to see us again after so long. That's one of the things I really like about Thailand: smile and appreciate what people do for you, and they do it more and more. Appreciate their food and you can win hearts.

Our meal was, as always, lovely food, and at the end, they under-charged us, insisting that that was the correct price. Honour was saved all round by accepting their kind gesture, and by leaving a small tip.

I learned that their brother is ill and cannot work at the moment, which makes things harder for them, so we intend to go to eat there as often as we can, tipping as we did last year, and so help them out a little without it looking like charity.... more of a win-win situation.

BTW..... A friend warned me that if I posted this in General, I'd be shot down.... but we all love positive stories, don't we?...... whistling.gif

It's people like you that give labradors a good name.

Spot

• Like 2

Cheers.

spoilded and bitter

+1.

It's people like you that give labradors a good name.

Spot

Rob.... the tink too mutt, mutt tongue.png

I have many heart warming stories about Thais... I used to stay at a guesthouse and was treated as family, they wouldn't let me pay for laundry and a beer everynight some meals, let me use the scooter.. I had to leave money on the bed when leaving as they were just to nice... many times I have went to pay my bill and it is slashed down... I have seen a broke mentality Ill fellow country man, out of luck being taken care of by a guesthouse owner, many of you would kick him out, she made a birthday party for him and cheered him up as he searched for a way home, she didn't charge him one month accommodation, food everyday.. when he finally had a family memeber pay for his flight home, she paid for a taxi to the airport.. she was out big, big bucks....

There is never ending stories if Thai generousity from overflowing donations for monks, blind street music ians, ... you will wonder why there isn't so many aggressive beggers in Thailand compare to the west ? They get what they need just by sitting there someone will help them.. there us kids that give up weekends non Bangkok to help drunken farang that get in fights get cleaned up or a ride to hospitals.

Anyone who hasn't noticed the generously of Thais is either a blind jaded idiot or has extremely bad karma

• Like 2

I do think if you can't talk with them, you give them the positive benefit-of-the-doubt. This holds true in any country. You are also more sensitive in another country and act more submissive to get help. In your own country, you feel more confident and can communicate more clearly.

You do know the tire was from china, 15 baht, and will explode in 11 minutes. lol. just kidding.

I've spent time in western country....of course....and when I am nice to them, they are nice to me. if I am on the street, bleeding, yes they will help me. it's human nature. but we can read English and listen to the news and get the negatives from the western world; however, we cannot understand thai TV or thai newspaper and get that same barrage of negative stories.

we also spend most of our day dealing with the service industry.....in any country, they are nice, since you are money.

I think thais are nice, but bill gates and his foundation has helped many people. the owner of red bull is thai...does he have a charity? I don't know, can't read thai. haha.

and we will save Thailand from a N. Korea strike......yes, Obama will do that for the thais.....

enjoy.

Edited by puukao

I do think if you can't talk with them, you give them the positive benefit-of-the-doubt. This holds true in any country. You are also more sensitive in another country and act more submissive to get help. In your own country, you feel more confident and can communicate more clearly.

You do know the tire was from china, 15 baht, and will explode in 11 minutes. lol. just kidding.

I've spent time in western country....of course....and when I am nice to them, they are nice to me. if I am on the street, bleeding, yes they will help me. it's human nature. but we can read English and listen to the news and get the negatives from the western world; however, we cannot understand thai TV or thai newspaper and get that same barrage of negative stories.

we also spend most of our day dealing with the service industry.....in any country, they are nice, since you are money.

I think thais are nice, but bill gates and his foundation has helped many people. the owner of red bull is thai...does he have a charity? I don't know, can't read thai. haha.

and we will save Thailand from a N. Korea strike......yes, Obama will do that for the thais.....

enjoy.

The man that founded Red Bull died last year, I believe he was worth $6 billion when he died. I take your point though, I don't know if he had a charitable foundation. Equally it's probably unfair to compare him to Bill Gates as he is one of the most extraordinary people on the planet.

The default position of many Thais is to be charitable, we see it every morning with the Monks, and although some may be gifting alms in the hope of a higher reward, I've seen plenty of instances where genuine small acts of charity take place. I often watched my ex walking past people ( in particular older people ) and start talking to herself about how sorry she was that they didn't have family to look after them ( how she knew that I don't know ). This conversation with herself would take place for about 50 metres then her conscience would get the better of her and she would run ( an unusual sight ) back and give them some money.

I loved watching this little pantomime take place, I found it beguiling and amusing and when I asked her why she didn't just walk up and give them some money when she first saw them she replied " because I need time to think about their lives ".

Sounds fair enough to me.

Actions like this are why many Thais overcharge us living here.

400 baht is a days wages.

2000 baht is a Weeks wages!

That's like giving a mechanic in England 500 pounds.

Please stop this.

• Like 1

Actions like this are why many Thais overcharge us living here.

400 baht is a days wages.

2000 baht is a Weeks wages!

That's like giving a mechanic in England 500 pounds.

Please stop this.

-

Classic.

Tourists and wealthier residents willingly pay more than local rates because it makes them feel good, consciously being generous and kind. And you want to put a stop to it because you think it will help keep prices at the level you can afford.

Really? blink.png

• Like 1