Food Carts - They Are More Then Slightly Annoying

ruds

There seems to be more and more of these food carts on the roads these days and they cause accidents, hold up traffic and don't believe they are even needed. If the Pattaya City Hall are serious about helping traffic flow then surely this would be an obvious place to start.

I'm sure those who use them would only have to walk 50 metres to a Family Mart or 7/11 where they have stalls set up outside selling the same food anyway. As for the all those who will lose their job, never heard of any unemployment in Pattaya so that wouldn't be an issue either, just find another job. I know of lots of restaurants constantly looking for help in the kitchen.

They do not pay any taxes, employ people or pay any rent to someone who does pay tax and employ staff so why are they even allowed to operate and compete with those who contribute.

Anyway, I know it's always been like that, so I know it will never change but I thought I'd hear the opinions of others regarding this issue.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't annoy you coz you drive a motorbike and not a car. Yes I am aware we are in Thailand hence why I added that it will probably never change. Well done on being here for 10 years. I never understand why people state that on this forum, like the longer you have been the more creditable your posts are. You will know "seeing as you have been here for 10 years" that price has nothing to do with it as anyone can eat outside a Family Marts or 7/11 for the same food at the same price.

You do remember, we are in Thailand?? whistling.gif

Where streetfood is part of the culture. Gives job to many people and a cheap meal to people not so well off. Been here 10 years, and even if I normally don't eat from the carts, they have never irritated me. Live and let live! wai2.gif

When does culture start. In this case about 30 years ago. Prior to that there were no fixed food carts and a handful of mobile ones around a few places like the station.
  • Like 1

Ruds so far you are the only one finding them annoying so why don't you just give it up man.

I don't have a problem with them either when driving my truck and everybody gives them space

which is part of Thai culture.

These people operating them are doing a honest living which one can only respect.

There are plenty of alternative jobs out there that are probably easier then pushing a cart around in the heat all day. You make it sound like they have no other option.

There are plenty of alternative countries around the world where you would not be annoy be Thai's making a living in there own country.....You make it sound like you have no other option but to stay and complain.wai2.gif

• Like 1

I think it's a bit drastic to eliminate them because they serve the needs of so many people.

But it would be so much easier if they could simply obey road rules, such as not going against the traffic flow and simply looking behind them and checking the road is clear before pulling out.

When does culture start. In this case about 30 years ago. Prior to that there were no fixed food carts and a handful of mobile ones around a few places like the station.

I remember there being plenty of street food vendors in Thailand 35 years ago (at least in the parts I went to). They didnt have the Styrofoam bowls and plastic spoons etc, but apart from that they were pretty much the same.

• Like 1

There are plenty of alternative jobs out there that are probably easier then pushing a cart around in the heat all day. You make it sound like they have no other option.

Some of them would not have any other option, true. I've seen a lot of older people pushing these carts.

I remember there being plenty of street food vendors in Thailand 35 years ago (at least in the parts I went to). They didnt have the Styrofoam bowls and plastic spoons etc, but apart from that they were pretty much the same.

Of course there were.

"If Pattaya City Hall are serious about helping traffic flow then surely this would be an obvious place to start". The obvious place to start would be to get rid of at least 50% of the baht buses, which wouldn't be missed. At least half of them at any given time are always empty, driving around the town all day clogging up the traffic, belching out noxious fumes. The food carts pale into insignificance compared to them. As many have already noted, they are part of the culture here, in my view a very attractive part, and are very popular, providing a good service. Some of the tastiest food i have eaten here has been from these vendors. As for your remarks about them "not paying any taxes", "employ people or pay any rent to someone who does pay tax and employ staff", 'why are they even allowed to operate and compete with those who contribute", etc, do you own a restaurant by any chance?

• Like 1

You do remember, we are in Thailand?? whistling.gif

Where streetfood is part of the culture. Gives job to many people and a cheap meal to people not so well off. Been here 10 years, and even if I normally don't eat from the carts, they have never irritated me. Live and let live! wai2.gif

Good post,and yes,we are in Thailand lol.Do u honestly believe that the traffic jams in Pattaya are partly due to food carts hehehehehehehe,what a pile of horse manure

• Like 2

Mobi, you are a sarcastic guy. I like that. It is detrimental to the maintenance of a family when a food cart and its operator is run over by racing trucks, buses, car, which are Thai culture as well. Who cares? thumbsup.gif

The food carts are one of the things here that makes LOS different and better than the West.But I`ll guess in the future they will be gone and it will end up same as back home....car gridlock,shopping centers,Mc Donalds everywhere....oh,and in addition you can throw in as an extra value of living here all the dog crap and the smell of puke from the sewers !!!

I just cant wait....must buy property here now clap2.gif !!!!!!!!