Residence Certificate - Cm Immigration Will Not Issue

bloody tiger

I needed a resident certificate for my 5 year drivers and riders license renewal.

• Went to CM immigration on Tues 02 April in the afternoon and was told to come back tomorrow.
  • So I came back on Wed 03 April in the morning and was told to come back on the 9th April
  • I arrived there yesterday, 09 April, at 0715 and ended up being number 87 in the queue !!!! When I got to the front of the queue I was told by the immigration officer (the guy who explains the procedure if you're there at 8 o'clock) that they can no longer issue resident certificates and please see your embassy or consulate

I'm not going to be surprised if this policy changes again shortly. Judging by some previous posts there has been numerous changes on the way this has been issued at CM. Needless to say it is frustrating.

I suppose I should be mad or peeved off with CM imm. But I am not. For wahtever frustrations we have with the place, I think it would be an absolute nightmare to work there and be faced with endless hordes everytime you come to work. They are definately understaffed and need a much larger facility.

On a side note I got a resident certificate from my consulate no problems. He told me that a few years ago he was advised by Immigration NOT to write resident certificates!!!

On another side note, I got my 5 year license's renewed today. and because the old one had already expired by a few days, the 5 years sart from next April. Effictively I have a 6 year licence expiring in 2019! There was a little ray of sunshine after all.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had two Residence certificates in the past 12 months. The first was process in under 15 minutes. 2 months ago it took all day as 'the boss was away'.

The form I downloaded on the Thai Visa site was not used by CM Immigration, and they gave me a slightly different form.

I was told the need for this was to keep track of where we farangs are living; now it seems they have lost interest, or the boss there is trying to lighten his workload.

The consulates/embassies might start leaning on BKK Immigration. Who knows.

bloody tiger

I think I read here on TV that the residence certificate is now FREE at immigration, maybe that is why they don't want to issue them anymore?

Did the consulate charge you for it?

I had read that same post, and the notice was still actually up on the outside of immigration (where the old main entrance used to be) and stated the required documents for residence permit and that there is no fee.

My consulate didn't charge a fee, but I donated a tip to his staff (my idea not his)

I posted the following to the drivers licensing thread. It is appropriate for this thread also, so I copy & pasted it here.

While reading this (Drivers license renewal) thread I focused upon the need for a residence certificate, now that CM Immigration refuses to do them (probably because they have neither the procedures, personnel or facilities to do them in in timely / efficient manner). Also apparently CM Immigration's advise that CM Police offices will do them was erroneous passing the buck (it was reported on tv that police offices refused to do so). So, I guess that means everybody has to go to their consulate or embassy (at absurd prices to discourage frivilous embassy workload, such as this probably is).

I was hoping that CM Immigration would have coordinated with other Thai govt agencies that require a residence certificate (driving licences and motorcycle, car & possible condo purchase / registration immediately comes to mind). Hopefully CM Immigration would have persuaded these other registration agencies to suspend the requirement for a residence certificate, at least until CM Immigration can once again do it.

Alas, that does not appear to be the case. What a grand passing of the buck when it comes to solving a problem. Typical higher level bureaucratic requirement for a report (probably without a real need once again) that is not properly resourced for the bureaucrats at lower levels to efficiently administer. The left hand of the bureaucracy doesn't know what the right hand is doing or why.

Last time I renewed my DL, I showed immigration my old DL to get the residence certificate to get new DL. What a load of red tape BS. Why can't they just renew the DL? Surely they should only require a residence certificate if you've moved. But then that would make too much sense...... TIT

• Like 2

bloody tiger

I think I read here on TV that the residence certificate is now FREE at immigration, maybe that is why they don't want to issue them anymore?

Did the consulate charge you for it?

No it's not, last week was still 500 baht and no receipt. Also, don't expect to be able tio use the form you can download from the net, charging 500 baht to have that form signed and issued would be illegal whereas their signature on a custom and unioffcial form is not :)

• Like 1

There was a thread awhile back (started by CMNightrider I think) that referred to a "City Life" interview of the Chief CM Immigration. The Chief respectfully apologized for the sorry state of affairs, and correctly (I believe) referenced the refusal of Bkk Immigration HQ to properly resource the CM office. The Chief ended his interview with a a public "City Life" appeal to the users of CM Immigration for contributions to his office for new &/or expanded facilities. Yes, you & I Mr Rich Farang were being asked to fund the tedious and non-sensical requirements they place upon us. Now, is that cheeky or isn't it? BTW, rumor while the new Jomtien Immigration facilities were being built a few years back was that the facilities were funded by "View Talay" condominium developers / executives. (I Can't confirm that rumor).

Well now, it would be cynical in any other country except Thailand (We all know the level of corruption here) to offer the following possibility but here goes. There may have been a bit of trouble over the 500 Baht underhanders CM Immigration was previously demanding (Since apparently official Bkk policy is that the document should be free). Could it be that CM Immigration just independently decided to refuse to carry out the duty (without the 500 Baht underhanders), thereby forcing Mr Rich Farang to pay a higher fee to his consulate or embassy for a residence certificate. Ultimately Mr Rich Farang might demand CM Immigration to once again perform their mission, and be very happy indeed to provide the 500 Baht underhander. Cynical thoughts? Not really for Thailand.

There was a thread awhile back (started by CMNightrider I think) that referred to a "City Life" interview of the Chief CM Immigration. The Chief respectfully apologized for the sorry state of affairs, and correctly (I believe) referenced the refusal of Bkk Immigration HQ to properly resource the CM office. The Chief ended his interview with a a public "City Life" appeal to the users of CM Immigration for contributions to his office for new &/or expanded facilities. Yes, you & I Mr Rich Farang were being asked to fund the tedious and non-sensical requirements they place upon us. Now, is that cheeky or isn't it? BTW, rumor while the new Jomtien Immigration facilities were being built a few years back was that the facilities were funded by "View Talay" condominium developers / executives. (I Can't confirm that rumor).

Well now, it would be cynical in any other country except Thailand (We all know the level of corruption here) to offer the following possibility but here goes. There may have been a bit of trouble over the 500 Baht underhanders CM Immigration was previously demanding (Since apparently official Bkk policy is that the document should be free). Could it be that CM Immigration just independently decided to refuse to carry out the duty (without the 500 Baht underhanders), thereby forcing Mr Rich Farang to pay a higher fee to his consulate or embassy for a residence certificate. Ultimately Mr Rich Farang might demand CM Immigration to once again perform their mission, and be very happy indeed to provide the 500 Baht underhander. Cynical thoughts? Not really for Thailand.

I think you should look at the interview again. It looks to me that he indicated people may want to donate to someone that would donate land to put an Immigration facility on. In other words, he suggests users of Immigration may want to donate to the foundation that donates land for placing an Immigration building since Immigration HQ in Bangkok has not been doing much to find land for this purpose.

My point is you should look at the interview again and see what was suggested. I did not see any suggestion of donating to Immigration itself. Maybe I am looking at the wrong interview? I'm not sure if I can quote from their website and post it here.

MSPain

Edited by hml367
  • Like 1

MS Pain (hml367), In my mind, I think I do understand what Chief CM Immigration suggested (without reading it again). He wants the users (ie, the farangs) to assist in funding improvements the Farangs would like to see (Because Bkk will not resource him properly). I hope I didn't give anybody the impression I was saying the Chief CM Immigration would put such "contributions" in his pocket. If I make a contribution to a 3rd party that then turns that contribution over to CM Immigration, I have in affect made a contribution to CM Immigration. My point here is that CM Immigration should fund their own improvements They should not expect farangs to make "contributions" in order to achieve an acceptable level of service.

It's bad enough that we have to put up with the the disaster that CM Immigaration has already become. Perhaps some in the Immigration bureaucracy think, in some twist of logic, that if we Farangs feel that it's worse for us to now have to go to our consulates and pay more that 500 Baht for a residence certificate, we may be happy to stop complaining and to happily pay the 500 Baht to CM Immigration if they will once again do it (which they are supposed to do for free).

What can we do for those where there is no consulate in CM, only an Embassy in Bangkok? The Residence Certificate will cost more that its costs plus return air ticket, and one night hotel stay if the certificate cannot be issued the same day!

What can we do for those where there is no consulate in CM, only an Embassy in Bangkok? The Residence Certificate will cost more that its costs plus return air ticket, and one night hotel stay if the certificate cannot be issued the same day!

I have never heard of an embassy in Thailand that requires you to show up in person for a residence certificate. What embassy is this?

MS Pain (hml367), In my mind, I think I do understand what Chief CM Immigration suggested (without reading it again). He wants the users (ie, the farangs) to assist in funding improvements the Farangs would like to see (Because Bkk will not resource him properly). I hope I didn't give anybody the impression I was saying the Chief CM Immigration would put such "contributions" in his pocket. If I make a contribution to a 3rd party that then turns that contribution over to CM Immigration, I have in affect made a contribution to CM Immigration. My point here is that CM Immigration should fund their own improvements They should not expect farangs to make "contributions" in order to achieve an acceptable level of service.

It's bad enough that we have to put up with the the disaster that CM Immigaration has already become. Perhaps some in the Immigration bureaucracy think, in some twist of logic, that if we Farangs feel that it's worse for us to now have to go to our consulates and pay more that 500 Baht for a residence certificate, we may be happy to stop complaining and to happily pay the 500 Baht to CM Immigration if they will once again do it (which they are supposed to do for free).

I don't see that line of donation in the article at all. I don't see any mention of turning the donation over to Immigration.

If you don't look at the article, you may not see the line he was suggesting.

" I have been in talks with McKean Rehabilitation Centre; they have vast tracts of royally-bestowed land and they rely on the largess of donors for survival. Maybe if they can give us some of their land, we can build an office, put a large ‘Thank You McKean’ sign up, and some of the many people who use our services may want to donate and help them out in return."

Edited by hml367

I have never heard of an embassy in Thailand that requires you to show up in person for a residence certificate. What embassy is this?

Australia
  • Like 1

Went yesterday to immigration for residence letter. Was told the same thing, no longer issuing, not worth the time.

so do i understand this correctly or is the heat/smog just making me stupid?

Only way to get a residence certificate is at your country consulate?

Those of you who are able to get a Yellow Book should do so as you will never have the need for a Residency Certificate again.

This has been an interesting discussion. I have been here a decade, with a Thai Driver's license and have never heard of a residency certificate. I have never been asked for one.

You are correct about having a 'Yellow Book' - I received mine 6 years ago and it tends to make things flow smoother, even during yearly visa renewals. Seems to change the attifude of the officers handling the process.

Plus, if a foreigner buys a condo, he or she receives a 'Blue book', which serves the same purpose.

so if the CM immigration office not doing this service, who knows what the US consulate is charging and does the process involve obtaining an appointment time as americans must do for fin verification, passport pages, etc?

Thanks...

Edited by cardinalblue

Those of you who are able to get a Yellow Book should do so as you will never have the need for a Residency Certificate again.

I've never heard of a yellow book. Can someone tell me what this is, where to get it.

I'm here on a non-B visa, which I will change to "retirement' when I have the money.

I'm surprised at this, two weeks ago I picked up a residence certificate from CM Immigration and when I collected it there was some twenty or more certificates awaiting collection, multiply that by twenty two working days and then by 500 baht each, that's over THB 200k a month in lost, ahem, revenue!

It seems to have happened nationwide. Reports say there are notes on the door saying it is free. Then they stop issuing them. I wonder if someone influential ( ambassadors?) made a complaint that they had reports of this possible coorruption and the central immigration acted declaring them free. Not surprising the individual autonomous regions decide not to issue them.

Australia

Wow. All I've had to do myself is send the embassy an email, notifying them that I are living at address X. Free and voluntary to do, but I then have to pay a non-symbolic fee for the embassy to afterwards send me, via mail, a letter that basically says I have notified them I am staying at address X. Various Thai offices then accept this letter as proof of something or other. Sorry to hear others are required to travel to Bangkok for this nonsense.