Residence Certificate - Cm Immigration Will Not Issue

bloody tiger

I went into Immigration at 8:30 this morning (small office behind Immigration) with all my documents, 2 copies each, for 2 copies of a "Proof of Residency" for my motorbike and car 5 year drivers licence (previously had a 1 yr expired).

List 2 copies each:

- house rental agreement with my GF (her house) including 2 copies of her Thai ID which she signed

- appropriate passport copies

- 2 photos, was told I needed 3 photos to get 2 copies of Proof of Res

I went to get new photos (4 for 100B) with no wait, paid the 1,000B rush fee, was given a receipt to pick up my Proof of Res docs tomorrow at 8:30am.

I was in and out in approx 30 minutes - excellent!!

btw: the choice was mine to rush and pay the 1,000B which I gladly did. Went right into his pocket, they likely work nights to get these ready for the following morning. His manner was brisk (business-like) but friendly. I am a happy guy.

laugh.png Never hurts to make a discreet inquiry.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went and got one last week, said politely to the guy that I can wait so I could get one for free.

He went on to mention only free with particular visa's (i think that's what he was trying to tell me) and mine was not the particular visa which is free and had to pay 500 baht.

Mine took a few days.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kjhbigv

Went and got one last week, said politely to the guy that I can wait so I could get one for free.

He went on to mention only free with particular visa's (i think that's what he was trying to tell me) and mine was not the particular visa which is free and had to pay 500 baht.

Mine took a few days.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You gotta love em laugh.png

I went into Immigration at 8:30 this morning (small office behind Immigration) with all my documents, 2 copies each, for 2 copies of a "Proof of Residency" for my motorbike and car 5 year drivers licence (previously had a 1 yr expired).

List 2 copies each:

- house rental agreement with my GF (her house) including 2 copies of her Thai ID which she signed

- appropriate passport copies

- 2 photos, was told I needed 3 photos to get 2 copies of Proof of Res

I went to get new photos (4 for 100B) with no wait, paid the 1,000B rush fee, was given a receipt to pick up my Proof of Res docs tomorrow at 8:30am.

I was in and out in approx 30 minutes - excellent!!

btw: the choice was mine to rush and pay the 1,000B which I gladly did. Went right into his pocket, they likely work nights to get these ready for the following morning. His manner was brisk (business-like) but friendly. I am a happy guy.

You know I have bought maybe 3 of these from my Consulate (USA)

No lines no crowds...appointment online usually next day given or was....Dont know now

Paid 1600 baht no papers or pictures

just one simple name & use form takes 2 minutes to fill...swear I live where I say...pay done.

Have my form right now then & there

Folks always told me that is a crazy high fee but after reading you paid 1100 ( I know your choice on the 1k rush fee ) + the forms pics etc.

Now the 1600 I paid Seems not so bad to me smile.png

Edited by mania

It seems Mania missed the story line. If you want to expedite delivery to the next day, then you provide 500 bhat per letter at Immigration. The American and British consulates are considerably more expensive, and the Americans are fussy about appointments. I do not know about the others, and some countries have no consular services in Chiang Mai.

Otherwise, as I recall the procedure for each letter of residence is rather arduous and time-consuming. When the guy was seated at Position 1 inside the main office with an assistant handling a ledger, it looked like an elaborate hand-typed process with each letter carefully recorded in the ledger! Now, there's a bureaucratic process that could be upgraded in a hurry once (probably) some laws and regulations have to be changed. There's the rub!

So, what the hell is 500 bhat to expedite things if you are in a one-day hurry?!

Edited by Mapguy

It seems Mania missed the story line. If you want to expedite delivery to the next day, then you provide 500 bhat per letter at Immigration. The American and British consulates are considerably more expensive, and the Americans are fussy about appointments. I do not know about the others, and some countries have no consular services in Chiang Mai.

Consulate certificates are more because they have a set fee authorised by their respective government, you know what it is and you can choose to use this service or not, Immigration has no set fee authorised by their government, The certificate of residence is free, there is really no such thing as an expedite fee........therefore the 500 baht is a.....................wink.png

Cynic! Just be glad that it is an available service!

I am Mapguy, but the very same people who gladly pay this fee because it suits them, will no doubt complain about those who pay the BIB to expedite something. Same same. By all means use 'the service' but keep mouth's shut when others pay a fee for something. wink.png

Edited by uptheos

errrr ummmm errr .... sorry people ... bad news :(

i went down to immigration this morning to suss out the office where i was supposed to go for a residency cirtificate to get a new 5 year driving licence and found from monday

yes .... the 19th of may 14

the residency cirtificates will be issued from a new office

near the promenada mall !

which is about about five miles away :(

not good .... dave2

post-42592-0-31745300-1400333632_thumb.j

post-42592-0-58868500-1400333681_thumb.j

post-42592-0-57472500-1400333719_thumb.j

post-42592-0-70027500-1400333759_thumb.j

• Like 2

errrr ummmm errr .... sorry people ... bad news sad.png

i went down to immigration this morning to suss out the office where i was supposed to go for a residency cirtificate to get a new 5 year driving licence and found from monday

which is about about five miles away sad.png

not good .... dave2

Hmmm that may be a improvement actually as that area is not busy

• Like 2

not good .... dave2

A thank you for Dave 2 for the map.As, the soon to be abandoned "residency letter" office, is about 3 m x 3m in total size it does seem to be a strange decision,I mean what are they saving ?

Moving the main office I could understand and hopefully they will shortly with more staff...........we can but dream.

not good .... dave2

Exactly. Plenty of parking, no traffic. Hopefully they will move the whole operation out in the suburbs where there is more space.

BTW, got my residency cert in 24 hours 2 days ago, 500 baht.

• Like 1

not good .... dave2

Thanks, dave2. I imagine you might be helping with more precise directions once you find the new place to get your letter.

Took me a while to figure out why the pictures of the old shack, but I finally got it!

I have always suspected that the residence letter operation was "sub-contracted" by Immigration, but I have never been quite sure about that. The switch in location is interesting. If Immigration is really involved, I wonder if it presages a move by Immigration to that locale one of these days. Will you sniff around the new premises?

Now, here come the howls of dismay about tuk tuk and song taew expense to the outer reaches of the vast metropolitan area! Life can be sooooo difficult here !!

Edited by Mapguy

re

I imagine you might be helping with more precise directions once you find the new place to get your letter.

i will :)

re

Took me a while to figure out why the pictures of the old shack, but I finally got it!

thats ok ! ... some people are naturally slow :)

just joshin ... no offence mapguy :)

re

Now, here come the howls of dismay about tuk tuk and song taew expense to the outer reaches of the vast metropolitan area!

our nancy ? ... ill ask her when i see her at the meridien next saturday

dave2

pic .. dont do drugs sign at immigration

post-42592-0-04271000-1400414039_thumb.j

not good .... dave2

Thanks, dave2. I imagine you might be helping with more precise directions once you find the new place to get your letter.

I have always suspected that the residence letter operation was "sub-contracted" by Immigration, but I have never been quite sure about that. The switch in location is interesting. If Immigration is really involved, I wonder if it presages a move by Immigration to that locale one of these days. Will you sniff around the new premises?

Now, here come the howls of dismay about tuk tuk and song taew expense to the outer reaches of the vast metropolitan area! Life can be sooooo difficult here !!

Sub contacted to whom Mapguy?

A non profit organisation?

Yes, thanks a lot dave2 very helpful.

not good .... dave2

I'm certain that results from discussions and recommendations discussed here, really..

not good .... dave2

Proof no proof reader was used at any time during the making of this sign.blink.png

Give it a break, "TIT cynics !!!" You sound rather haughty! I do not wish to hijack the thread to berate the historical or current sins of officials (Look to your own home countries!), but what is all the bullshit that has drawn such an obscene number of posts! Get a life --- or get directions! Directions are all I need and anyone should really need other than the details of what you must provide for documentation. So, I appreciate Dave2's help on both, as he has posted them.

If I were an Immigration honcho, I would definitely want to farm out the annoying task of the residency letters. Now, if anyone has a problem with that, then visit your friendly British or American consulate, for example, and take a real hit in your wallet! In the meantime, I repeat (again, as before here) that I have never been charged for the four or five residency letters I have ever needed in Thailand, all by Thai officialdom.

I do not stay indoors all the time at all! To carp on the bribe or corruption theme on ThaiVisa Chiang Mai just gets very worn out after a while, especially when added to complaints about getting screwed by tuk tuk and song taew drivers, waiters and waitresses in restaurants. Otherwise, I am as aware as anyone is of the ranking of Thailand with Transparency International.

Get a life !!!! Get a bike to avoid the outrageous local fees for transport! Learn to cook and cook at home so as not to spoil the enjoyment of a meal over some argument with a tip. Walk instead of drive to avoid the petrol pump when you need to fuel up with someone who probably earns less that 300 bhat a day and seems to "pump" the meter. Et cetera! Alternatively, join the Chiang Mai Expats Club so that you find more people with whom to grouse about life in Thailand.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 2