Residence Certificate - Cm Immigration Will Not Issue

bloody tiger

bloody tiger

I think I read here on TV that the residence certificate is now FREE at immigration, maybe that is why they don't want to issue them anymore?

Did the consulate charge you for it?

If money was the criteria for what they do why the free 90day reports?

My guess is that it's a compulsory government requirement and would most definitely require a receipt.

It is not compulsory that you get a residency certificate from immigration as has been indicated and they can tell you to go elsewhere. In other words, if we issue, you give us something for our time or go to the BIB, Consulate, Embassy etc.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bloody tiger

I think I read here on TV that the residence certificate is now FREE at immigration, maybe that is why they don't want to issue them anymore?

Did the consulate charge you for it?

If money was the criteria for what they do why the free 90day reports?

One is a service the other is a legal requirement.

//edit - uptheos got there first. smile.png

I heard today that CM Immigration are planning on restarting the residency certificate service in about a month's time depending on staff levels. This info was from a visa agent who had spoken directly with a CM Immigration officer this very morning.

• Like 1

Ya, now were trying to figure out ways to get the police to accept 250 or 500 THB (for a residence certificate that in no way proves that you really live where you told them you live).

Not to detract from your post but to be clear

I was joking about the 250 to the cops.

I happily pay $50 for mine 3x at the US Consulate. wink.png

Will continue to do so even if offered free at Immigration

Unless of course at some point in the future immigration

becomes a civilized place to go.

Well said! I'd rather have a few days away in Penang and deal with things there!!

I decided to go to my local Amphur and get a yellow house book instead ( Tabian baan see leuang ) .But guess what they asked me go to immigration and get a cert of residance first .I told them that it was no longer advailable there .They rang immigration and confirmed what i said .Then they just said i would have to wait till Immigration start reissueing them again .My Consulate ( Irish ) is in Bangkok with none in CM .

I received my certificate of residence this week from immigration. I printed the form found on TV, added all the ne\cessary copies. 2 passport photographs and mentioned on the form I need it for a yellow book. I did not received it right away, it depended on the availability and presence of the chief, took 2 weeks (sonkran). When you need c o r for a yellow book you can try, Why would they give me one and no one else? By the way, there were more people who received it. They send away everyone who need it for reasons of driving license etc..

I received my certificate of residence this week from immigration. I printed the form found on TV, added all the ne\cessary copies. 2 passport photographs and mentioned on the form I need it for a yellow book. I did not received it right away, it depended on the availability and presence of the chief, took 2 weeks (sonkran). When you need c o r for a yellow book you can try, Why would they give me one and no one else? By the way, there were more people who received it. They send away everyone who need it for reasons of driving license etc..

looks like a need a new yellow book,when i need to renew my d/l in sept.

I heard today that CM Immigration are planning on restarting the residency certificate service in about a month's time depending on staff levels. This info was from a visa agent who had spoken directly with a CM Immigration officer this very morning.

It had crossed my mind that perhaps assist could handle this matter for a fee of course.

I have talked to them about taking my new passport in and getting the retirement visa transferred over and they assured me they could do that cost 1,000 baht when I talked to them two months ago. could be higher now as One poster said they charged him 1,500 baht to do his 90 day reports recently. I believe to continue living here in Thailand it is a legal requirment to have a valid passport with a valid visa in it.

They also told me that they could do my yearly renewal for 5,000 baht but there was a small chance I would have to appear there. A little doubtful on that one but hey the way they apply laws here in Thailand are not always consistent from one community to the next.

It had crossed my mind that perhaps assist could handle this matter for a fee of course.

I have talked to them about taking my new passport in and getting the retirement visa transferred over and they assured me they could do that cost 1,000 baht when I talked to them two months ago. could be higher now as One poster said they charged him 1,500 baht to do his 90 day reports recently. I believe to continue living here in Thailand it is a legal requirment to have a valid passport with a valid visa in it.

They also told me that they could do my yearly renewal for 5,000 baht but there was a small chance I would have to appear there. A little doubtful on that one but hey the way they apply laws here in Thailand are not always consistent from one community to the next.

Surely this is a joke or are you refering to using an agent, if the latter, why?

Anyone who gets charged THB 1,500 to do a 90 report needs their head examined or perhaps subjecting to a lie detector test, frankly I don't believe that happened.

Transfering an O-A visa from an old passport to a new one is free of charge, I had it done myself in CM two weeks ago.

Extending an O-A cost THB 1,900 and twenty minutes of a persons time, if using the CM reservation system, THB5K is a joke.

Anyone who gets charged THB 1,500 to do a 90 report needs their head examined or perhaps subjecting to a lie detector test, frankly I don't believe that happened.

Bit of confusion gong on here...again

Some companies charge 1000-1500 baht PER YEAR to do all your 90 day reports

meaning 4 times per year

You have not seen it mentioned many times in the 90 day thread?

Edited by mania

Bit of confusion gong on here...again

Some companies charge 1000-1500 baht PER YEAR to do all your 90 day reports

meaning 4 times per year

You have not seen it mentioned many times in the 90 day thread?

No I've never seen it before because I couldn't imagine paying someone to do it, it only takes twenty minutes. oh well, each to their own.

The 1k baht can become interesting when immigration continue their new system where in one have to appear before 8.00 pm to receive a number for that day. They only provide around 200 numbers a day and i witnessed they send people home and said to come back next day before 8. And yes also for the 90 day report.

Edited by Joop50

I never really saw a problem with the 500THB fee for a certificate. I actually had to get two (one for a bike and another for a license), but 1000THB was nothing compared to what the British Embassy wanted. It's a big shame if Chiang Mai stop the service for a long period of time. But you could kind of see it happening on the reports that only the manager/supervisor has the authority to rubber seal each paper. I can imagine a good portion of their day is spent just doing that. Personally it took 24 hours to get mine done a couple of months back because they were in meetings all day.

Surely this is a joke or are you refering to using an agent, if the latter, why?

Transfering an O-A visa from an old passport to a new one is free of charge, I had it done myself in CM two weeks ago.

Extending an O-A cost THB 1,900 and twenty minutes of a persons time, if using the CM reservation system, THB5K is a joke.

Not sure how you could rack up so much time here and not know about the visa services.

If you can forget your preconceived ideas and reread my post you will notice I said 90 day reports not 90 day report.

To further burst your bubble the on line only takes 10 a day while in reality they process close to 40 a day.

If pushing papers was my strong point I would maybe do my own transferring of visas but alas I am not a paper pusher and it is not worth it to me to go in and wait for what ever time it takes only to find out I did some thing wrong come back tomorrow,

Now I have heard of Cheap Charlies but really 1,000 baht for a ten year document works out to 100 baht a year. Do you also walk to and back from immigration?

So far I am like you I don't mind going in once every 90 days for what ever time it takes. So far the most has only been one and a half hours and another time 35 minutes all the other times less than half an hour. I am talking about the time I walk in to the building until the time I walk out with my new 90 day.

Not sure how you could rack up so much time here and not know about the visa services.

If you can forget your preconceived ideas and reread my post you will notice I said 90 day reports not 90 day report.

To further burst your bubble the on line only takes 10 a day while in reality they process close to 40 a day.

If pushing papers was my strong point I would maybe do my own transferring of visas but alas I am not a paper pusher and it is not worth it to me to go in and wait for what ever time it takes only to find out I did some thing wrong come back tomorrow,

Now I have heard of Cheap Charlies but really 1,000 baht for a ten year document works out to 100 baht a year. Do you also walk to and back from immigration?

So far I am like you I don't mind going in once every 90 days for what ever time it takes. So far the most has only been one and a half hours and another time 35 minutes all the other times less than half an hour. I am talking about the time I walk in to the building until the time I walk out with my new 90 day.

Sure I know about visa agents, my question still stands, why!

The online booking system can be used three months in advance, do that and you'll have no problem getting a slot for visa renewal.

As for the transfer of visa from old to new passports: I'm not aware of any law that says the visa must be in your current passport although that's not a point for debate, in my case I ran my new passport which was blank (apart from an entry stamp) an my Thailand visa in my old passport for about five months, when it came time to renew my O-A visa I simply took along both passports and the extended visa was put into the new passport, job done.

As for your statement, "but really 1,000 baht for a ten year document works out to 100 baht a year", I regret I don't understand what it refers to but yes, I frequently walk to and from Immigration (from the Airport Mall where I park) it's an exhilerating experience which I feel certain is highly beneficial to my well being. tongue.png

I was just sat here thinking about the subject of visa agents and wondered how smart it is for a farang to give up responsibility for their visa affairs to a local business, even more pertinent is the question of how sensible is it for a farang to give up their passport to the owner of one of those businesses. Having never used that type of service myself I have no first hand knowledge, but I do recal the stories out of Pattaya a few years back where farangs were giving their passports to a local agent to do border runs on their behalf and the stamps were found to be fraudulent and the passport holders were held accountable, that's scary stuff.

I suppose if folks want to use those services and they've found someone they think they can trust, power to their elbow, but its'not for me I'm afraid.

I was just sat here thinking about the subject of visa agents and wondered how smart it is for a farang to give up responsibility for their visa affairs to a local business, even more pertinent is the question of how sensible is it for a farang to give up their passport to the owner of one of those businesses. Having never used that type of service myself I have no first hand knowledge, but I do recal the stories out of Pattaya a few years back where farangs were giving their passports to a local agent to do border runs on their behalf and the stamps were found to be fraudulent and the passport holders were held accountable, that's scary stuff.

I suppose if folks want to use those services and they've found someone they think they can trust, power to their elbow, but its'not for me I'm afraid.

What happened to.... wink.png

oh well, each to their own.

Kidding aside really you are rehashing really old things that we have all been over ad nauseam

They were speaking about 90 day reports not visa extension renewals

1- None is giving up any responsibility...Period

Immigration law allows you to designate a friend etc. to do your 90 day reports

2- None is giving up their passports...Period

As many have mentioned Many times you fill out 4 TM47 forms in advance & they make a copy

of your passport

You are citing old examples of border runs not the same thing as what your now comparing to.

These are 90 day reports that folks who have 1 year extensions for some silly reason need to file .

Due to crowds & scheduling it has gotten pretty tough for many to dedicate unknown amounts of time to the task.

Others just choose not to have to at all. As you said "To each their own" wink.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

>oh well, each to their own.

Kidding aside really you are rehashing really old things that we have all been over ad nauseam

As many have mentioned Many times you fill out 4 TM47 forms in advance & they make a copy

of your passport

You are citing old examples of border runs not the same thing as what your now comparing to.

These are 90 day reports that folks who have 1 year extensions for some silly reason need to file .

Due to crowds & scheduling it has gotten pretty tough for many to dedicate unknown amounts of time to the task.

Others just choose not to have to at all. As you said "To each their own" wink.png

Just to comment on your point number 2 - It depends on which service someone uses. Within the last year I used one service that charged me 1,000 THB for one 90 day report and I had to give them my passport to do it. I have not used them since.

MSPain

>oh well, each to thei

r own.

of your passport

Just to comment on your point number 2 - It depends on which service someone uses. Within the last year I used one service that charged me 1,000 THB for one 90 day report and I had to give them my passport to do it. I have not used them since.

MSPain

Don't blame you!

You must have been desperate at the time though?

Yes.... I was late because of some holiday. My wife and I went to Immigration because she wanted to see what I had been telling her about the crowds...She is the one that wanted to walk out after seeing what number we were in relation to what was crammed in there. I must always miss the times some other less than 30 minutes people go. It was much different, as you know, when it was in the other building.

I am one of the stupid ones, according to some posters, because I pay for the 90 day reports now (not 1,000 each!) and I also am paying for the extension and re-entry permit. It's worth it to me. I had an appointment in May for my extension. I cannot find how to cancel it so I just emailed Immigration. I even asked on ThaiVisa how to cancel since the "cancel" on the Online Queue site had disappeared and received not one reply so I stopped checking the thread.

Still, I don't blame Immigration Department itself. It is the Immigration Act they have to enforce.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

By the way, Uptheos....

At that particular "service", my wife asked why I had to give my passport since some people had talked about not giving the passport. She also made comments, in Thai, of course, to the lady about the price. The reply from the lady was, in Thai, "you can go do it yourself if you like." Not smart tone, but definitely she knew the discontent with people having to spend "more than an hour" at Immigration for just a 90 day report.

MSPain

Yes.... I was late because of some holiday. My wife and I went to Immigration because she wanted to see what I had been telling her about the crowds...She is the one that wanted to walk out after seeing what number we were in relation to what was crammed in there. I must always miss the times some other less than 30 minutes people go. It was much different, as you know, when it was in the other building.

I am one of the stupid ones, according to some posters, because I pay for the 90 day reports now (not 1,000 each!) and I also am paying for the extension and re-entry permit. It's worth it to me. I had an appointment in May for my extension. I cannot find how to cancel it so I just emailed Immigration. I even asked on ThaiVisa how to cancel since the "cancel" on the Online Queue site had disappeared and received not one reply so I stopped checking the thread.

Still, I don't blame Immigration Department itself. It is the Immigration Act they have to enforce.

MSPain

I guessed there must have been a reason.

Let all the in and out in 20 minutes post all they want......be pleased for them and long may it continue.

I think it's bliss not even thinking about immigration, except for the annual 15 minute interview via on-line booking.

Being called 'stupid' for doing something of your choice with your money, says a lot about the person saying it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I may try posting this elsewhere since the "residency certificate" issue seems to have been lost in 90 day reports and visa agents but, for those still interested in the original issue, here is some info for the Canadians around these parts. The only discrepancy I can see is the required visa, I got my license(s) while I had a Tourist Visa. And we are talking about the CM Land Transport office. The PDF attachment came from the CM Consulate.

HO Drivers Licence.pdf

• Like 1

I may try posting this elsewhere since the "residency certificate" issue seems to have been lost in 90 day reports and visa agents but, for those still interested in the original issue, here is some info for the Canadians around these parts. The only discrepancy I can see is the required visa, I got my license(s) while I had a Tourist Visa. And we are talking about the CM Land Transport office. The PDF attachment came from the CM Consulate.

Yes I think it is based on old rules.

You can only get a 1 year licence on a short term visa.

If yolu have a work permit you do not need a Certificate of residency or an embassy letter.

• Like 1

In some ways, this thread is regrettably a disservice rather than a service, especially for a "newbie" who must be bewildered by sometimes incomplete or poorly expressed impressions and personal experiences (sometimes from hazy memory or simply out of date) posted here (and on similar threads). That's not to say that Thai officials are clear in stating in other languages commonly used by foreigners what policies and rules are for relatively simple procedures. Other countries are similar! By not taking this commonsensical step, the various agencies here make it very difficult for themselves as well as foreigners.

Otherwise, I agree with posters who believe that the service that Chiang Mai Immigration has provided for residency certificates for a nominal fee has been a bargain. I hope that the office will resume that practice soon. And I offer kudos to the Land Transportation Office for their doing what they do.

All above said in the context that foreigners moving here are overtaxing the systems in place.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A fellow Brit I am with now has confirmed no cert residence now at cm immigration.

At least he found out before taking a ticket.

Have contacted British Consul, no problem any time within there normal hours 8:30 to 11:30 mon to fri

And that will be 2530 baht please!