Residence Certificate - Cm Immigration Will Not Issue

bloody tiger

Strange, my wife's friend just told her that starting next Monday, Immigration will start issuing certificate of residencies again.

She needs one to buy a car.

Anyone been by Immigration in the last few days and noticed if the no certificate issued sign is still up?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strange, my wife's friend just told her that starting next Monday, Immigration will start issuing certificate of residencies again.

She needs one to buy a car.

Anyone been by Immigration in the last few days and noticed if the no certificate issued sign is still up?

I was there today at 8am - no certificate being issued. The lady spoke in Thinglish and said something like - finish already canceled, cannot do, not do, as I started to leave She said try next week maybe can. laugh.png

strange but well TIT - I was actally relieved as the place was VERY busy, It looked hellish, glad not to waste my morning / day there. I have been told they are trying to get 14 or 15 more staff but Bangkok do not have trained people for them.

My case is more funny :

I have been to immigration yesterday and they told me that they no longer provide residence certificate, go ask your ambassy.

I have been to french ambassy today (consulat honoraire) but they don't want to make me a residence certificate coz I have only a tourist visa and I live in Thailand since only 10 days. (a duration of 6 month is requiered ass well as an non immigrant VISA)

Is USA or UK ambassy as much meticulous as french ambassy ?

Edited by DrAzTiK

My case is more funny :

I have been to immigration yesterday and they told me that they no longer provide residence certificate, go ask your ambassy.

I have been to french ambassy today (consulat honoraire) but they don't want to make me a residence certificate coz I have only a tourist visa and I live in Thailand since only 10 days. (a duration of 6 month is requiered ass well as an non immigrant VISA)

That is funny. As a tourist they don't think you are a resident. Maybe that's because you aren't a resident, you're a tourist.

• Like 1

My case is more funny :

That is funny. As a tourist they don't think you are a resident. Maybe that's because you aren't a resident, you're a tourist.

You can reside but not domicile. You can also reside without a right of abode. I think it's possible to abode where one is not domiciled. My residence is not my abode nor my domicile. But I can still require a letter to confirm my residence in The Kingdom, which is not my domicile, nor do I have a right of abode as a non immigrant. crazy.gif

I hope this clarifies the situation, please call again.

Edited by 2020
  • Like 1

I dropped by after 4PM since I was at Airport Plaza.

I didn't see the sign advising that certificates were no longer being issued so I asked one of the officers when they would be resuming issuing the certificates.

He said he didn't know and they are waiting for the boss to make a decision.

At least for what it's worth in the LOS, he DID NOT say that they no longer issued them.

Keeping my figures crossed.

My wife needs one to buy a car and I'll need one in June to renew both my licenses.

last week have farang 1 person who say after monday (yesterday) immigration give residency certificate again. please confirm can or not already?

thank you krab.

A pal of mine went in today for one at 9am, they said come back at 11am.

He did and they then accepted his application, no charge.

Come back in 3 days to collect.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

last week have farang 1 person who say after monday (yesterday) immigration give residency certificate again. please confirm can or not already?

thank you krab.

Exactly how it went with my request beginning april. Promising.

I was one of the last who received one.

Edited by Joop50

thank you krab.

Isn't Friday a holiday?

thank you krab.

Isn't Friday a holiday?

May - 24 Friday Vesak Day

Certainly a bank holiday, so I assume a government holiday......anyone know?

Edited by uptheos

Those of you who are able to get a Yellow Book should do so as you will never have the need for a Residency Certificate again.

Last week for the 3rd time in the last 6 months I went to district office for yellow book. They always have some reason why I don't qualify. This time different supervisor and she says I do qualify however first requirement she said was go to immigration for certificte of residence.
  • Like 2

Those of you who are able to get a Yellow Book should do so as you will never have the need for a Residency Certificate again.

Last week for the 3rd time in the last 6 months I went to district office for yellow book. They always have some reason why I don't qualify. This time different supervisor and she says I do qualify however first requirement she said was go to immigration for certificte of residence.

Same thing happened to me this past Monday at Hang Dong Ampur. The officer in charge looked over our paper work saying "no certificate of residency........go to Immigration and get one" .

He then stood up and walked away.

His assistant then came over and said......"if you do not buy and sell real estate or vehicles frequently you do not need one. It is not for foreigners on retirement visa".

His assistant then came over and said......"if you do not buy and sell real estate or vehicles frequently you do not need one. It is not for foreigners on retirement visa".

I do not consider myself to be a buyer/seller of vehicles & real estate yet...

In the little over one year I have been here I have needed 4 of these things.

I buy them at the US consulate for $50 USD a pop

So when folks complain about the Thai corrupt system I have to admit the Thai system has nothing on the US system.

The US system asks you to swear you live where you claim, never check any facts that you actually do & give you a paper

yet they want $50 or 1600 Baht for it smile.png

Edited by mania

I do not consider myself to be a buyer/seller of vehicles & real estate yet...

In the little over one year I have been here I have needed 4 of these things.

I buy them at the US consulate for $50 USD a pop

So when folks complain about the Thai corrupt system I have to admit the Thai system has nothing on the US system.

The US system asks you to swear you live where you claim, never check any facts that you actually do & give you a paper

yet they want $50 or 1600 Baht for it smile.png

Same with income, they just want the money and don't give a toss.

I have heard rolleyes.gif that there are people who have no actual income, but still get a sworn statement at US consulate in order to obtain their visa extension.

Edited by uptheos

I have heard rolleyes.gif that there are people who have no actual income, but still get a sworn statement at US consulate in order to obtain their visa extension.

And if found out, there can be severe consequences for them. 2 edges of the sword - immigration canceling the extension and US penalties for perjury.

And if found out, there can be severe consequences for them.

I would think it could also be the reason some people report that Immigration asks for additional proof of income.

Went to Canadian consul this morning for residency certificate. Was in and out within 15 minutes. Cost was 1500 bahts. To me thats a bargain compared to waiting for hours at immigration and then being told to come back in 3 days to pick it up. Plus the problems of parking at immigration. Canadian consul on the super highway has plenty of parking spaces available.

• Like 1

And if found out, there can be severe consequences for them. 2 edges of the sword - immigration canceling the extension and US penalties for perjury.

Indeed, but it seems a chance many are taking.....unless they don't care about the consequences.

Same thing happened to me this past Monday at Hang Dong Ampur. The officer in charge looked over our paper work saying "no certificate of residency........go to Immigration and get one" .

He then stood up and walked away.

The assistant is wrong. Also amphur Saraphi demands a CoR.

• 3 weeks later...

A personal update. I went to CM Immigration on a Monday (2013-05-27) for a Certificate of Residence. Told they only accept applications on Fridays. Returned on the Friday (2013-05-31) and submitted the application and was told to return in 10 days (on a Tuesday) to pick it up. I just did so, (2013-06-11 13:30) only a 1 minute wait, paid $500 baht (definitely not free), and left with a Certificate of Residence (no receipt). Looked like they still had a half dozen certificates waiting to be picked up.

For me, 3 trips, 15 days. Plan ahead. Tomorrow, renew my DL.

I'm sure I read earlier this week that a top guy at Immigration in BKK stated that they were not trying to make things difficult for foreigners.

Yes it appears to me that Chiang Mai are not taking heed of this statement, in regard to Certificates of Residence.

Am I correct in assuming that the Honorary Consulates of many countries can issue this certificate?

Market Trader -"Went to Canadian consul this morning for residency certificate."

I presume that Immigration are then notified by the Consulates, as it seems the addresses are required to keep track of foreigner movements'

I'm sure I read earlier this week that a top guy at Immigration in BKK stated that they were not trying to make things difficult for foreigners.

Yes it appears to me that Chiang Mai are not taking heed of this statement, in regard to Certificates of Residence.

Bangkok are trying to stop corruption at CM immigration, by telling them not to extract a bribe for a CofR.

CM immigration are trying to keep their bribes, so making things difficult for foreigners.

CofR is free across the country, except in a few corrupt immigration offices.

Bangkok are trying to stop corruption at CM immigration, by telling them not to extract a bribe for a CofR.

CM immigration are trying to keep their bribes, so making things difficult for foreigners.

CofR is free across the country, except in a few corrupt immigration offices.

Might also explain why they have stopped mailed-in 90-day reports for foreigners living within city limits.

Either that or the local Chief Immigration Bigwig is a pathological sadist (as well as being economical with the truth).

Edited by OJAS

Am I correct in assuming that the Honorary Consulates of many countries can issue this certificate?

Market Trader -"Went to Canadian consul this morning for residency certificate."

I presume that Immigration are then notified by the Consulates, as it seems the addresses are required to keep track of foreigner movements'

Certificates of Residency are not used to "keep track of foreigner movements" 90-day reports and the reporting requirement for new foreigners resident at places of lodging are how Immigration keeps track of foreigner movements.

Over the past 2 years I too have been constantly foiled by my local District Office over my requests for a Yellow Book. I have wasted two Certificates of Residence. Lets hope they change supervisor sometime in the future

Certificates of Residency are not used to "keep track of foreigner movements" 90-day reports and the reporting requirement for new foreigners resident at places of lodging are how Immigration keeps track of foreigner movements.

ok, I obviously mis-understood the reasons why.

However, this did not answer my question:

"Am I correct in assuming that the Honorary Consulates of many countries can issue this certificate?

Yes its a bit of a catch 22 situation,you need CoR to get a yellow book and you need

a yellow book so you never need CoR again, I got my yellow book at the San Sai office,

it was fairly easy, you need 2 witnesses,people that have known you for a while.after

I received mine ,a short time later a new boss took over and he effectively stopped

issuing yellow books.

regards Worgeordie