Residence Certificate - Cm Immigration Will Not Issue

bloody tiger

A clear indication that residence letters are issued by Immigration as of yesterday. I did not get one but in general instructions to the early morning throng in the general office, those desiring one were directed to a different building nearby.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes its a bit of a catch 22 situation,you need CoR to get a yellow book and you need

a yellow book so you never need CoR again, I got my yellow book at the San Sai office,

it was fairly easy, you need 2 witnesses,people that have known you for a while.after

I received mine ,a short time later a new boss took over and he effectively stopped

issuing yellow books.

regards Worgeordie

SanSai said they will give me a Yellow book when i return later this week with the extra things they asked for ,that i did not have .( translation of Passport plus 3 photos ).

I got the Residence Cert last week at Chiang Mai immigration after a weeks wait and there was no charge .

His assistant then came over and said......"if you do not buy and sell real estate or vehicles frequently you do not need one. It is not for foreigners on retirement visa".

I do not consider myself to be a buyer/seller of vehicles & real estate yet...

In the little over one year I have been here I have needed 4 of these things.

I buy them at the US consulate for $50 USD a pop

So when folks complain about the Thai corrupt system I have to admit the Thai system has nothing on the US system.

The US system asks you to swear you live where you claim, never check any facts that you actually do & give you a paper

yet they want $50 or 1600 Baht for it smile.png

The US system is not corrupt.

It was carefully explained to me by senior consular staff that, legally, all the official is really doing is affirming that the signer is who he or she says he is. But if you can't provide acceptable evidence meeting financial requirements for a visa to Thai Immigration, if asked, then you will be denied a visa with whatever penalties the Thai government might choose to apply.

Regarding the price, yes, it does seem steep. I am not happy with it, either, but that has nothing to do with corruption. It has to do with covering the costs, as the US State Department calculates them to be, of serving citizens abroad. Complaints can be sent to the consul, to the Secretary of State, or to political representatives at home.

If there's any dishonesty in the process, it is committed by those who lie and take advantage of Thai acceptance of the affidavit.

I believe that the British have a different take on this process and require hard evidence before providing any letter. True?

^'I believe that the British have a different take on this process and require hard evidence before providing any letter.'

The Canadian consulate here in Chiangmai has always required documentation supporting one's finances for an immigration letter of support.

^'I believe that the British have a different take on this process and require hard evidence before providing any letter.'

The Canadian consulate here in Chiangmai has always required documentation supporting one's finances for an immigration letter of support.

Useful to know. Now, we know positively (One hopes) about three countries.

Others?

PS I have always thought the American Consulate was doing a sort of fancy dance around the legal aspects of their pension affidavit service. In any case, if an American were to be found out by Thai Immigration, then there is a serious problem in Thailand, never mind facing perjury changes in the USA, most likely a distant threat at best, like from here to Mars.

There is increasing simmering impatience in official Thailand with expatriates who cheat. (Yes, even in Thailand!) Those who do cheat had better keep enough coin for a ticket back to their home countries. And those who do and those who don't had better get used to increasingly "hard" questions by Immigration officers when extending visas.

Have you ever heard of official "profiling"? That is, for example, when security officials look harder at Arabs these days at airport security stations than at others, and so on. Big debates about that sort of thing in the USA and UK, especially the former. Anyway, any experienced officials in any country doing interviews, such as Immigration officers, aren't stupid. It might just be that the word has not come down from above to get serious during interviews, or the officers just don't want to be bothered and just get through their day. Who can blame them? So, many cheaters, especially Americans, I would wager, get through. Otherwise, when the officials are momentarily frustrated, as in the case of NancyL's very proper husband who (recently, according to NancyL) takes up to three showers a day, dresses appropriately like an adult Thai male of any reasonable breeding, and probably has no visible tattoos, gets asked an absurd question: "Do you rent or own your condo?" What the hell has that got to do with the financial requirements for a retirement visa?! Not a bloody sou that I can see except --- and this is a stretch --- ownership of a condo might be much more confirmation of fiscal ability than renting.

The real shit has yet to hit the fan. In any case, better get used to more heat if you cheat. Unfortunately, this will also become an increasing pain in the behind for people who don't cheat, like NancyL's husband.

Confirming that one has the necessary funds to live here is a bag of worms. Suppose one has all the documents to show he has a pension of some sort which is enough to meet the requirements or funds in the bank, that does not mean he/she has enough money to live on because it does not include the liabilities they have such as credit card debt payments, loan payments, health care insurance or funding, child support payments, divorce payments and other expenses which reduce the real disposable income. For the US Consul or the Thai Immigration Police to sort through all a person's financial situation to determine real disposable income available for living is a monumental job which can not be reasonably expected to be done.

Even the Canadian and British Consuls doing their review of documents would in the end have to rely on a statement by the individual that the data presented is accurate and complete so they would be relying on the individual's word the same as the US Counsel does.

In the end, any checking that can be done will be incomplete but it is reasonable and appropriate that Thai Immigration have some requirements.

Confirming that one has the necessary funds to live here is a bag of worms. Suppose one has all the documents to show he has a pension of some sort which is enough to meet the requirements or funds in the bank, that does not mean he/she has enough money to live on because it does not include the liabilities they have such as credit card debt payments, loan payments, health care insurance or funding, child support payments, divorce payments and other expenses which reduce the real disposable income. For the US Consul or the Thai Immigration Police to sort through all a person's financial situation to determine real disposable income available for living is a monumental job which can not be reasonably expected to be done.

Even the Canadian and British Consuls doing their review of documents would in the end have to rely on a statement by the individual that the data presented is accurate and complete so they would be relying on the individual's word the same as the US Counsel does.

In the end, any checking that can be done will be incomplete but it is reasonable and appropriate that Thai Immigration have some requirements.

The consulates are not interested in whether you have enough money to live on, their job is to certify that you receive the amount declared.You can spend it all on booze and chicks if you like (and many do). wink.png

• 2 months later...

Ok no help so here is my understanding. They are issuing them at the back of the old building???. Where ever that is. Someone said I could print the form / application from this web site - where is it? Thanks for help.

With apologies, I can not give you immediate help, but you are correct about the last information posted as to where to apply for the letter. The "old building" is the low-rise building immediately East of the current shack that we all know and love for normal immigration business. It is where the 90-day reports used to be done a few years back and, now, where it seems Burmese workers must do their business.

It has been a while since I have filled out the appropriate form, but I don't think you will have much difficulty with it. On the web? I don't think so, but I wouldn't worry much about that. Anyway, you are going to need "proof of residence" as well as the usual sort of identification. If you search back on TV you'll see the options noted, such as copy of lease agreement, letter from your hotel/guest house, etc. You will also need two passport-sized photos. They work up a very impressive form with a photo, as I recall!

I also remember that it does take some time for the office to complete one of these forms for Land Transport or a car dealer, etc.

Relax!

With apologies, I can not give you immediate help, but you are correct about the last information posted as to where to apply for the letter. The "old building" is the low-rise building immediately East of the current shack that we all know and love for normal immigration business. It is where the 90-day reports used to be done a few years back and, now, where it seems Burmese workers must do their business.

It has been a while since I have filled out the appropriate form, but I don't think you will have much difficulty with it. On the web? I don't think so, but I wouldn't worry much about that. Anyway, you are going to need "proof of residence" as well as the usual sort of identification. If you search back on TV you'll see the options noted, such as copy of lease agreement, letter from your hotel/guest house, etc. You will also need two passport-sized photos. They work up a very impressive form with a photo, as I recall!

I also remember that it does take some time for the office to complete one of these forms for Land Transport or a car dealer, etc.

Relax!

Thanks MG. totally relaxed . Didn't mean for it to come across any other way. I think I will just pay the 50$ and be done with it. Too many details to be ironed out for student son on Ed visa. Same day service at us consulate. Thanks again

I went to the Chiang MaI immigration office today (Oct 2) to get a residency cert for a vehicle registration.

You submit the application in a small office that's attached to the back-side (south side) of the main visa processing building that we've all spent a good portion of our lives in. This office (room) is near the photocopy shed and says "residency certificate" on the door.

There was one guy receiving and checking applications and two younger people poking at computers and documents. I submitted a completed "Application Form for Residence Certificate in Thailand" downloaded from the document section of the Thai immigration website, a photo-copy of my current lease agreement, two mug shots, and photocopies of all relevant passport pages. Take your real passport too as they will likely want to check the copies against the real thing.

After matching up all the dates and addresses on the application form with those from the passport and lease agreement, I was handed a chit to come back in the afternoon 7 days hence. One week should give them enough time. :-)

I don't know if they are going to request a donation when I pick up the cert or not. No donation was requested today.

Thanks for the update, zzifle.

Cool! Very cool! The old guy (if it is the same old codger) now has his own office with a sign on the door! Now, that's really cool! Hope he got air con. clap2.gif

This one process is really astonishingly arduous for what it seems to be worth. I used to watch the guy plod through his task, with his one assistant handwriting every transaction in a ledger! They used to be parked in back of the re-entry visa counter. I don't imagine that the Immigration Office is thrilled to be doing this chore, but there it is!

I don't recall there being a charge. If there is, it will certainly be nominal.

Edited by Mapguy

Thanks for the update, zzifle.

Cool! Very cool! The old guy (if it is the same old codger) now has his own office with a sign on the door! Now, that's really cool! Hope he got air con. clap2.gif

This one process is really astonishingly arduous for what it seems to be worth. I used to watch the guy plod through his task, with his one assistant handwriting every transaction in a ledger! They used to be parked in back of the re-entry visa counter. I don't imagine that the Immigration Office is thrilled to be doing this chore, but there it is!

I don't recall there being a charge. If there is, it will certainly be nominal.

No charge now for the Residency Certificate, but there was a little box marked "Donations" which I gladly contributed to.

I went to the Chiang MaI immigration office today (Oct 2) to get a residency cert for a vehicle registration.

You submit the application in a small office that's attached to the back-side (south side) of the main visa processing building that we've all spent a good portion of our lives in. This office (room) is near the photocopy shed and says "residency certificate" on the door.

There was one guy receiving and checking applications and two younger people poking at computers and documents. I submitted a completed "Application Form for Residence Certificate in Thailand" downloaded from the document section of the Thai immigration website, a photo-copy of my current lease agreement, two mug shots, and photocopies of all relevant passport pages. Take your real passport too as they will likely want to check the copies against the real thing.

After matching up all the dates and addresses on the application form with those from the passport and lease agreement, I was handed a chit to come back in the afternoon 7 days hence. One week should give them enough time. :-)

I don't know if they are going to request a donation when I pick up the cert or not. No donation was requested today.

Yep, I did EXACTLY the same last week, downloaded form from website, copy of tenancy agreement, copies of passport and two photos......the bloke in the office in between photocopy place and main imm building, clearly signed "RESIDENCY CERTIFICATE".....gave the guy the forms, very chatty bloke likes a bit of banter (I think he said he was a lawyer, well he offered me some legal services).....went back 3-4 days later, paid 500 bht job done.

Prior to this I went to the UK Consul (just for ease) BUT they wanted 2800 baht for a residency certificate! 2800 baht for literally 30 secs work! A joke! Last time I went it was 1800 baht!

My view....get the Thai Immigration one and save yourself 2300 baht!!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just returned from immigration office. Procedure for residence certificate has changed.

Handed in documents and was told to come back in ten days, probably to be told that paerwork not as required!

Upside is that it now seems to be free!

Just returned from immigration office. Procedure for residence certificate has changed.

Handed in documents and was told to come back in ten days, probably to be told that paperwork not as required!

Upside is that it now seems to be free!

Funny how something free, can change from 10 minutes to 10 days?

Things have really changed since Pims interview with the head, when everyone was wetting their pants in anticipation

Now

No spots on the online booking

10 days for a residence permit

'Happy smile service' I believe it's called

Edited by uptheos

It took me 3 weeks to get mine, then I took it to the motorcycle registration place and they wanted to keep it. I said "<deleted>" You mean I have to go through this again to buy something else? So they gave a copy with with some stamp on it and said it was good for a month. Does it mean they only believe I am a resident for one month?

applied last week and although i was being told you cannot get a residency certificate with a tourist visa (heard that before) it was handed over anyway :)

What kind of tourist Visa? You can get one on a multiple entry but NOT on a "standard" 30 day tourist Visa.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There have been lots of stories, that people on tourist visas have obtained COR in the past (dunno if they're true or false).

However, that was in the days when they were churning them out faster than a Chinese noodle factory, at 500 baht a piece.

Now they're free many things have changed.

applied last week and although i was being told you cannot get a residency certificate with a tourist visa (heard that before) it was handed over anyway smile.png

What kind of tourist Visa? You can get one on a multiple entry but NOT on a "standard" 30 day tourist Visa.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

multiple/single entry, not VOA

• 5 weeks later...

I was told yesterday by a Chinese man in my Thai Class that he had just obtained the proof of residence certificate after only a one day wait. Certificate was for driving license. He needed 2 and paid 1000B. Anyone know if this is now the norm or charges are at the whim of the officer on duty??

• 1 month later...

Any updates on "Residence Certificates" issued at CM Immigration? I plan on getting one this week (closed tomorrow?) and this seems to be such a changing situation I do not know what to expect,

thanks for any input

Doug

(edit: for 5 year drivers licence, I have type O Retirement Visa)

Edited by ThaiHerbs

Any updates on "Residence Certificates" issued at CM Immigration? I plan on getting one this week (closed tomorrow?) and this seems to be such a changing situation I do not know what to expect,

thanks for any input

Doug

I believe a discreet inquiry asking if there is a 'fast service' available, might see you get one the next day for 500 Baht.

• Like 1

I went into Immigration at 8:30 this morning (small office behind Immigration) with all my documents, 2 copies each, for 2 copies of a "Proof of Residency" for my motorbike and car 5 year drivers licence (previously had a 1 yr expired).

List 2 copies each:

- house rental agreement with my GF (her house) including 2 copies of her Thai ID which she signed

- appropriate passport copies

- 2 photos, was told I needed 3 photos to get 2 copies of Proof of Res

I went to get new photos (4 for 100B) with no wait, paid the 1,000B rush fee, was given a receipt to pick up my Proof of Res docs tomorrow at 8:30am.

I was in and out in approx 30 minutes - excellent!!

btw: the choice was mine to rush and pay the 1,000B which I gladly did. Went right into his pocket, they likely work nights to get these ready for the following morning. His manner was brisk (business-like) but friendly. I am a happy guy.