Pattaya ( Slum )

Blackandwhite

Well Pattaya, what to say, is there anything good to say about this place ? What does it have going for it ? I can see now why condo's are so cheap. Pattaya has condo's for 2 million that would cost you 4 anywhere else. Also I can see a high end market also, rentals do not match purchase prices that indicates only one thing to me that the place is not investable nor a place to live unless you want to live in Thailand but can't afford to live anywhere else. Shocked at the state of the beaches, streets, general poor service in all restaurants, shops service poor, expensive, lots of concerning criminal action, lots of what I can see too be Russian involvement in nightlife, not sure this is good or bad. Other than a do the place once to see how things are its not a place for Thailand to show off about. When I read my lonely planet travel book years ago Pattaya had an okay section with lots of information now little is said. Maybe as there is not lots to be said other than about nightlife.

• Like 2

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with a lot of the things your saying,but this is also true for many places here in LOS.At the moment Pattaya suits me fine,but in maritime therms Im here on DP at the moment and aren`t ready to anchor up yet thumbsup.gif !!

Edited by Yahooka

Not wishing to bash the place just changed so much over the years just wondering if there is anything I missed that is good, I fully understand as I have experienced Pattaya on a fun level it does have a certain draw. But other than the obvious night life ect for me nothing to draw me back.

'lots of what I can see too be Russian involvement in nightlife, not sure this is good or bad'.

Given the hordes of Russians that now visit Pattaya I'd say they have a negligible involvement in the night life. Like any travel companies the Russian ones send their reps out to place ads that will attract the Russian punter. These ads are mutually beneficial to the Thai restauranteur, the punter and the tour company.

When Spain began attracting British visitors in the 1960s UK reps would supply the Spanish businesses with ads for 'Fish and Chips' or 'Tea Like Mother Makes'. German companies also did the same and now the Russians are following suit. It's normal procedure in the holiday trade.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next week when drunken falangs think it fun to drench an unsuspecting Igor and Olga when they are dressed up and going out for the evening.

Edited by yogi100

I have lived in Pattaya for over a decade and have generally enjoyed my time here. I have seen it grow from a rough and ready rest and recreation destination for the world's batchelors and not batchelored men worldwide to the mixed fun, recreation, family, mass tourism destination it has become. The housing, shopping, eating, and partying choices available to residents and visitors are heaps better than before. Of course, this has also brought about negative consequences as well, including a massive increase in traffic congestion and what I have really noticed the past year of so, poor service in many retail and eating establishments because of a shortage of labour.

What really concerns me is the massive condo, hotel, and retail developments both in construction and planned. I am not opposed to growth but there is no increase in road surface to accommodate the increase in car and buss traffic leading to ever increasing traffic congestion. I see the quality of life in pattaya decreasing over the next decade because of this and it becoming almost a suburb of Bangkok (especially with the high-speed rail line connecting the two cities).

I am seriously considering a move to another location in Thailand, possibly Chiang Mai. While no place is going to be perfect, for my retired and relaxed slow-lane lifestyle, it may be a more appropriate choice for me now.

poor service in many retail and eating establishments because of a shortage of labour.

I wouldnt say there is a shortage of labour, what strikes me is, people thinking this is the Thailand of 15 years ago, people thinking all they have to do is pay minimum wage of 300 baht per day and for that they expect someone with fluent English skills.

There are plenty of workers available, but they aint moving to Pattaya to work for peanuts, I have seen examples of salaries being offered 8,10 or 12k per month, those are factory wages for people with minimal education.

I read an advert today, van drivers wanted in Bkk, 20k per month.

If you want to run a business you had better wisen up and pay the going rate for the job, plus benefits, Thais have choices now, best of luck to them.

I dont see the stores in Central having a problem recruiting, next time you are in Central have a look on the board advertising vacancies and see whats on offer, can you at least match these wages?

• Like 1

I have lived in Pattaya for over a decade and have generally enjoyed my time here. I have seen it grow from a rough and ready rest and recreation destination for the world's batchelors and not batchelored men worldwide to the mixed fun, recreation, family, mass tourism destination it has become. The housing, shopping, eating, and partying choices available to residents and visitors are heaps better than before. Of course, this has also brought about negative consequences as well, including a massive increase in traffic congestion and what I have really noticed the past year of so, poor service in many retail and eating establishments because of a shortage of labour.

What really concerns me is the massive condo, hotel, and retail developments both in construction and planned. I am not opposed to growth but there is no increase in road surface to accommodate the increase in car and buss traffic leading to ever increasing traffic congestion. I see the quality of life in pattaya decreasing over the next decade because of this and it becoming almost a suburb of Bangkok (especially with the high-speed rail line connecting the two cities).

I am seriously considering a move to another location in Thailand, possibly Chiang Mai. While no place is going to be perfect, for my retired and relaxed slow-lane lifestyle, it may be a more appropriate choice for me now.

I agree pretty much with that.

I would also like to relocate to Chiang Mai but the yearly burning of the fields put me off, it's very harmful to you and since we got a boy in school we can't just move out when it happens.

And Beach Road was flooded today and it's was only raining for 2 hours, dear me.

• Like 1

Pattaya bashing threads always tell you more about the poster than the place.

I am not bashing Pattaya as I said I found it on a personal level poor and feel it has changed so much for the worse, I would see no point living there as for me it has very little of what I feel is important when choosing a place to settle. All said we are all different and I find from experience we all find different values acceptable. Up to you - up to me !! Enjoy Pattaya if you like cool.

poor service in many retail and eating establishments because of a shortage of labour.

I wouldnt say there is a shortage of labour, what strikes me is, people thinking this is the Thailand of 15 years ago, people thinking all they have to do is pay minimum wage of 300 baht per day and for that they expect someone with fluent English skills.

There are plenty of workers available, but they aint moving to Pattaya to work for peanuts, I have seen examples of salaries being offered 8,10 or 12k per month, those are factory wages for people with minimal education.

I read an advert today, van drivers wanted in Bkk, 20k per month.

If you want to run a business you had better wisen up and pay the going rate for the job, plus benefits, Thais have choices now, best of luck to them.

I dont see the stores in Central having a problem recruiting, next time you are in Central have a look on the board advertising vacancies and see whats on offer, can you at least match these wages?

There isn't a shortage of labour, just a shortage of Thais willing to work.

Any hard or dirty job is done by Khmers or Burmese, you will very rarely see a Thai work hard.

Every construction job, road building job or heavy labouring is always devoid of any Thais.

They have become basically lazy in Pattaya because they would rather scam or live off a farang rather than work.

Sad but true

Must be a Pattaya thing they get lazy. My in-laws work bloody hard compared to any Aussies I know.
  • Like 1