Thaksin Threatens To Use The People's Force Against The Constitutional Court If It Interferes

webfact

Constitutional Court is interfering: Thaksin
The Nation

30203886-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has threatened to use the people's force against the Constitutional Court if it interferes in the power of the executive and legislative branches.

Thaksin made a Skype video call to address redshirt demonstrators at Sanam Luang Wednesday night and strongly attacked the courts for being unfair to him and his political party. The redshirts were holding a rally to commemorate the third anniversary of the crackdown on redshirt protesters on April 10.

Thaksin said the Constitutional Court was staging a farce in regard to its objection to charter amendments.

"Initially, the government, MPs and senators wanted to amend the entire charter but the Constitutional Court would not allow it. It was fine and we accepted the court's decision but now, when we want to amend the charter few articles at a time, a few selfish individuals who are against democracy, file a complaint with the Constitutional Court, and the court accepts the complaint," Thaksin said.

He said the Constitutional Court should not play games on matters that important for the country.

The Constitutional Court has agreed to consider whether the amendment to Article 68 would be unconstitutional or not.

Thaksin said there are three branches of power - the executive, the legislative and the judiciary and the three branches should be separate. There should also be checks and balances among the three branches.

However, he said the judiciary was violating the power of the executive and legislative branches, and thus damaging the country's credibility and the people's confidence in the system.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-11

• Like 1

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His puppets keep winning elections, so he can't really be ignored.

'

Never with a majority of the popular vote though, which is why they have been dragging their feet on doing a referendum. They can not win a referendum because unlike an election it would require them getting over 50% of the popular vote, which they can not do. The majority of people do not support wiping away Thaksin's crimes.

• Like 2

His puppets keep winning elections, so he can't really be ignored.

Not up on this election thing you are talking about. I thought that since the general election his opponents had been winning elections and that includes one in red shirt land.

I know for a fact he lost to the Dems in the Bangkok elections and they were his opponents as he had the Prime Minister and the rest of the gang on his payroll openly backing the PT candidate.

• Like 1

Thaksin said there are three branches of power - the executive, the legislative and the judiciary and the three branches should be separate. There should also be checks and balances among the three branches.

Isn't that what they're doing, being a check and balance and making sure the executive and legislative obey the law?

It is obvious you missed red shirt schooling and got a real education along with some common sense.

However, he said the judiciary was violating the power of the executive and legislative branches, and thus damaging the country's credibility and the people's confidence in the system.

he is totally right about that.

the peoples force is the electorate. those who vote for the parliament that put the legislative in power. part of their job is it to pass, amend, and repeal laws.

Not to rewrite the constitution or just make changes here and there that benefit them at the cost of the nation.

• Like 1

The constitutional court is simply doing its job too well, and old big baht doesn't like it.

As for his threat, an empty threat IMHO - as the people (or the force he reckons they are) are not quite into the mass rioting at this moment in time, as they know it would be a threat to the leader! And they're more on HER side than his currently, because SHE doles out the restructuring now, and the guys at the top want a piece of the action and keep their own supporters at peace...... so far.

I reckon dementia is setting in, either that or he's a Skype addict....

-mel.

• Like 1

Have no real idea of what it takes to get Interpol involved.

As far as I know the Dems did what they could.

It might be they dropped the ball.

I don't really know

But does this not fall into some thing Interpol would be able to take a hand in.

Sorry for not frothing yet, but can someone please direct me to the quote from Thaksin which led to the article writer's assertion that he 'threatened to use the people's force'? Seems to me it is missing.

Thanks much.

Edited by 15Peter20
  • Like 2

There is no more talk about a referendum, is it?

Only an antidemocratic, coup loving fascist would suggest asking the people to choose what they want and settle it through voting.

No no no, the correct was is to have a convict dictating the changes from another country and rubber stamped by his bought for minions.

That was satire...

• Like 2

The record clearly shows that Thaksin has never shown much respect for democratic checks and balances.

After all, checks and balances are a waste of time for someone as brilliant and trustworthy and humble as Thaksin, right ?

Yeah, right.

Sorry for not frothing yet, but can someone please direct me to the quote from Thaksin which led to the article writer's assertion that he 'threatened to use the people's force'? Seems to me it is missing.

Thanks much.

Yes you're right... it's only in the opening paragraph, and there's no reference to what the threat was. If a quote shows up, please someone post it.

• Like 2