It's Started Already

CRUNCHER

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What year did the ridiculous OVER ONE WEEK of water throwing "tradition" start in Pattaya? I've been here a long time and it predates my time. So what year?

I can only go back to my first Songkran in Pattaya which was in 1994. It seemed worse back then. It appears to be more contained in recent years and you can generally go about your business 'fairly dry!' as long as you keep away from the main bar areas.

Complete drivel!!

Got soaked this morning 09:00 of small side street that leads from Theppasit to 3rd road, ice cold water - lovely...........NOT!!

What year did the ridiculous OVER ONE WEEK of water throwing "tradition" start in Pattaya? I've been here a long time and it predates my time. So what year?

I can only go back to my first Songkran in Pattaya which was in 1994. It seemed worse back then. It appears to be more contained in recent years and you can generally go about your business 'fairly dry!' as long as you keep away from the main bar areas.

Complete drivel!!

Got soaked this morning 09:00 of small side street that leads from Theppasit to 3rd road, ice cold water - lovely...........NOT!!

Think you were just unlucky!! I walked from my house near 3rd road to Central Pattaya Beach at 12 noon yesterday and didn't get wet. This wouldn't have been the case 10 years ago.

Edited by DMC1

I well remember my first Songkran .in 1996.

I was new here and had never heard of it.I drove my car from Jomtien along Sukhumwit at 10 am heading to Lek hotel for breakfast.

I sat in traffic at Thepprasit rd for nearly an hour as a few pick ups decided to have a battle and nothing could pass them.

I got to Lek hotel at 12 30 but had no trouble with morons going into Lek.The girls in the Bank booth sprinkled me with a little water from small water pistols.My car was sprayed all the way home [anothe 2-3 hours] but no dhalk or ice chunks.

I believe it went on for just 3 days.

This doesn't effect me that much as I live on darkside and have no reason to go into downtown Patts, plus I have a car.

However, I symapathise with those that it does effect....some of the moron farangs you see out there need stringing up.

How can a city basically be shut down for a week? Why is it only here that it lasts for a ridiculous lengh of time?

Absolute disgrace.

Get up early go get what you need done then get home, not rocket science is it. It's been the same for years, nothings changed, get over it.

This happened in Pattaya on April 15, 1998.

Made a splash at the time.

http://www.scmp.com/article/237939/festival-attack-water-pistol-starts-diplomatic-war

Festival attack with water pistol starts diplomatic 'war'

It appears to be the first international incident sparked by a water pistol.

The wife of a Finnish diplomat has apologised for slapping a four-year-old Thai boy across the face during last week's Songkran New Year festival.

The case has appeared to highlight the cultural divide between farangs - foreigners - and Thais.

During the event that in recent years has evolved into a good-natured orgy of water and flour fights, Elia Aittola ended up surrounded by a crowd of angry Thais outside a Pattaya police station.

Ms Aittola had asked young Jiravat Suntaros and his friends not to soak her as she made her way to a Pattaya restaurant with friends.

But in a scene constantly repeated across the nation during the week-long festival, the request was duly ignored.

An attempt to claim diplomatic immunity did not work and Ms Aittola spent four hours with Finnish embassy representatives, the boy's parents and local officials to ease tensions after complaints were filed with police.

Written and verbal apologies were accepted along with a pledge from Ms Aittola's husband, the embassy's first secretary, that medical bills would be paid.

This happened in Pattaya on April 15, 1998.

Made a splash at the time.

http://www.scmp.com/article/237939/festival-attack-water-pistol-starts-diplomatic-war

Festival attack with water pistol starts diplomatic 'war'

It appears to be the first international incident sparked by a water pistol.

The wife of a Finnish diplomat has apologised for slapping a four-year-old Thai boy across the face during last week's Songkran New Year festival.

The case has appeared to highlight the cultural divide between farangs - foreigners - and Thais.

During the event that in recent years has evolved into a good-natured orgy of water and flour fights, Elia Aittola ended up surrounded by a crowd of angry Thais outside a Pattaya police station.

Ms Aittola had asked young Jiravat Suntaros and his friends not to soak her as she made her way to a Pattaya restaurant with friends.

But in a scene constantly repeated across the nation during the week-long festival, the request was duly ignored.

An attempt to claim diplomatic immunity did not work and Ms Aittola spent four hours with Finnish embassy representatives, the boy's parents and local officials to ease tensions after complaints were filed with police.

Written and verbal apologies were accepted along with a pledge from Ms Aittola's husband, the embassy's first secretary, that medical bills would be paid.

Medical bills for a slap on the face cheesy.gif

This doesn't effect me that much as I live on darkside and have no reason to go into downtown Patts, plus I have a car.

However, I symapathise with those that it does effect....some of the moron farangs you see out there need stringing up.

How can a city basically be shut down for a week? Why is it only here that it lasts for a ridiculous lengh of time?

Absolute disgrace.

Get up early go get what you need done then get home, not rocket science is it. It's been the same for years, nothings changed, get over it.

Hello! Hotandhumid stated quite clearly that the water sports don't bother/affect him but he sympathises with others affected by it.

It is incredible that this has been allowed to continue to go on for over a week for so long. The cost to many local retailers must be considerable. For example, it would be very difficult for many people to get to Central Mall. There's no point going in there if you're wet as the aircon is set quite low these days. It's out of my reach for this week and I'm a regular spender there. I'm sure I'm one of 10's of thousands who don't/can't go there this week.

• Like 1

Absolute disgrace.

Hello! Hotandhumid stated quite clearly that the water sports don't bother/affect him but he sympathises with others affected by it.

It is incredible that this has been allowed to continue to go on for over a week for so long. The cost to many local retailers must be considerable. For example, it would be very difficult for many people to get to Central Mall. There's no point going in there if you're wet as the aircon is set quite low these days. It's out of my reach for this week and I'm a regular spender there. I'm sure I'm one of 10's of thousands who don't/can't go there this week.

Sorry you've confused me with someone who gives a sh##

Absolute disgrace.

Now who would ever have thought of that!

Very few members could have figured that out for themselves Thai Visa are very fortunate to have such a discerning philosopher among their contributors with the ability to dispense such brilliant advice.

• Like 2

Absolute disgrace.

Ha ha ha!

Listen to this little keyboard warrior! And as already pointed out you didn't even read properly what I had said.

But I'm now going to take your advice and set the alarm for 6am tomorrow.

You're my new hero.

• Like 1

Absolute disgrace.

WOW. You're original.

Absolute disgrace.

Erm, let me think about this............ok, so what will be open when you get up early?

Let me answer that, yip, that would be sweet <deleted> all!!!

Bi bi

Songkran in Karon, Phuket used to be a fun, one-day, dawn-til-dusk affair, then the northern harlots arrived and so did the drunk farang mongs and it all went to s**t.

Always glad to get out of Thailand before these disrespectful cretins begin their annual stupidity.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Absolute disgrace.

I didn't. I just thought you had difficulty comprehending what you read, as Hotandhumid was obviously one punter who doesn't find Songkran a big deal as he lives/stays out of Pattaya Central and drives a car... yet he understands the problems others are faced with.

I give a sh## because I ride a bike and live in the centre of all the mayhem. For me Songkran is a huge inconvenience. It's the slowest week of the whole year.

Maybe one day the powers that be in Pattaya will reduce Songkran to a more manageable 3 days.

That might happen after they finally get rid of the jetski scammers in the distant future.

Edited by tropo

Maybe one day the powers that be in Pattaya will reduce Songkran to a more manageable 3 days.

That would be lovely but I seriously doubt it. However, this started, the ridiculous and oppressively LONG local Songkran with no customs even to stop random surprise attacks late at night -- the MONSTER has been created and not sure how you put that back in the bottle.

Edited by Jingthing

That would be lovely but I seriously doubt it. However, this started, the ridiculous and oppressively LONG local Songkran with no customs even to stop random surprise attacks late at night -- the MONSTER has been created and not sure how you put that back in the bottle.

Unfortunately I must concur. The police seem powerless to do anything useful in Pattaya other than annoying foreigners on vacation.

Unfortunately I must concur. The police seem powerless to do anything useful in Pattaya other than annoying foreigners on vacation.

You say. About a decade ago a copper shot dead two people on soi Potisan because they sprayed his children on the back of his bike during Songkran.

If that happened more often I'm sure they would be wary about. smile.png

Absolute disgrace.

Ha ha ha!

Listen to this little keyboard warrior! And as already pointed out you didn't even read properly what I had said.

But I'm now going to take your advice and set the alarm for 6am tomorrow.

You're my new hero.

Good timing, that's about the time I will be dropping your missus home (if your lucky).

Then there's the hordes of seedy pervs looking for females to grope in the name of fun.

Hmm, for de yoof it looks more like a badge of honour than a punishment.

songkran-touching-breasts.jpg

ถ.ข้าวสาร เวลานี้จนท.ควบคุมชายที่จับหน้าอกผู้หญิงได้2ราย ถูกนำมายืนมีป้ายแขวนคอ”ผมชอบจับนมผู้หญิง”

Loosely translated: On Khao San Road, a man captured by police for

touching breasts had to stand with a sign stating, “I like to touch

breasts.”

You say. About a decade ago a copper shot dead two people on soi Potisan because they sprayed his children on the back of his bike during Songkran.

If that happened more often I'm sure they would be wary about. smile.png

That's the problem. If someone signals not to be splashed people should respect their request and leave them alone.

I've had my garden hose out a few times over the years, and when I get the hand signal (Thais and Farang) I leave them be. If everyone did this Songkran would be more pleasurable for all.

A lot of people "playing" are actually sadistic in nature and go out of their way to upset people. eg. Ice water - what's that about? To cause maximum discomfort of course. There's no need for that.

These sadistic <deleted> are looking for dry people who don't want to get wet. There's no fun in spraying people who are already wet. There's no fun in sprinkling water on people either - it has to be applied at full pressure in order to cause maximum annoyance and some danger. Aim for the eyes, the nose.

There's always sadists around. Songkran gives them an open licence to assault people. Then there's the hordes of seedy pervs looking for females to grope in the name of fun.

Sums it up very well tropo. It is nothing short of assault, more than a few take their holidays here at Songkran expressly for this purpose, knowing that they can behave in a manner that they would never get away with back in their home countries. But sometimes they do get their comeuppance. Three years ago on the day itself, ( the 19th), one of these warriors put a high pressure gun filled with iced water about 6 inches away from my ear and let fly. Clearly a deliberate attempt to cause injury, ie burst eardrum. Now i am an old guy,(in my sixties), and no fighter. Unfortunately for the thug, one of the guys i was with is a bit tasty and has a hatred of bullies. After words were exchanged and receiving a mouthful of abuse, w****er signs etc, my friend snapped and swept the guys feet from under him, grabbed the gun, forced it into his mouth and let him have the lot. The sight of this thug laying there choking and spluttering with a terrified look in his eyes was a wonder to behold. I like to think he learned a lesson but somehow i doubt it. I suffered no permanent damage to my ear but it was very painful for a few days, could have been a lot worse.

Then there's the hordes of seedy pervs looking for females to grope in the name of fun.

Hmm, for de yoof it looks more like a badge of honour than a punishment.

songkran-touching-breasts.jpg

ถ.ข้าวสาร เวลานี้จนท.ควบคุมชายที่จับหน้าอกผู้หญิงได้2ราย ถูกนำมายืนมีป้ายแขวนคอ”ผมชอบจับนมผู้หญิง”

Loosely translated: On Khao San Road, a man captured by police for

touching breasts had to stand with a sign stating, “I like to touch

breasts.”

Did he receive many offers as a result of his promotion campaign ? biggrin.png

Edited by jbrain

That's interesting.

Technically under Thai law if you make it clear you don't want to be Songkran-attacked and you are attacked and major injury is cause, can you pursue an arrest and prosecution of the perp? Especially in a case where the perp was using a legally banned water weapon?

Edited by Jingthing