Jotun Or Toa

luudee

Hello Guys !

When I first built my house 12 years ago we first used Jotun paint. Jotun

even sent their regional rep as it was a large project for than back than. I

suspect my workers did follow instructions as the Jotun rep came several

times while they where painting to check on the progress and my instrutions

where to do the best job possible, regardless of cost.

Two years later the Jotun paint started to chip off. We had to strip all that

crap off and repainted with TOA.

Now, I want to repaint my house again, it's been 10 years and I am having

some remodeling done as well.

I have had several guys come by and prepare quotes, it seems most of them

are pushing Jotun paint.

I am a bit nervous using Jotun, based on past experience.

So I am looking for your guys feedback and advice. Has Jotun improved over

the last 10 years to a point it can keep up with TOA or should I insist on TOA ?

Thanks,

luudee

PS: I am based in Pattaya ..

PPS: if you are a professional painter able to handle larger jobs, feel free to PM me ...

We do not have a large project but for our home have used ICI with good success and 30 years ago believe was far above TOA in quality. Believe TOA has greatly improved (or probably more that there higher quality lines are available) but believe I would still go with ICI.

Don't know about Jotun but do know TOA has various grades of their paint. The top of the TOA line is VERY good and the others are NOT - in my experience. I'm guessing Jotun might have the same product spectrum. Whatever you use, be sure to get to proper application. ie: putting down any quality of paint on a dirty surface will be peeling off sooner than later. Prime if you need it, etc. etc.

Thanks for the replies guys ...

BTW, what is the recommendation regarding the old paint ? Should it all be stripped, or just slightly sanded down ?

Thanks,

luudee

You should sand/scrape/wire-brush any area that has peeled or blistered. In any case, give it a decent cleaning before you paint. Priming may not be necessary depending on condition of previous application.

BTW: You might consider buying your own paint. If the contractor supplies it, it may/may not be premium grade and for sure they will dilute the piss out of it.

Thanks for the replies guys ...

BTW, what is the recommendation regarding the old paint ? Should it all be stripped, or just slightly sanded down ?

Thanks,

luudee

If it's outside walls I would clean it with the Karcher en where paint comes off sand it or wire brush.

Inside wash it with soapy solution so that all grease is removed, and again where paint comes off sand or wire brush.

You should also stick with same base. If the original paint was waterbased you can apply an oil based paint , but not vice versa.

Highly recommend ICI paint since it retains its color for many years so well. But whatever paint you use be triple durn sure the surface is cleaned/prepared/repaired to ensure the paint "will stick a long time." Use of a good quality adhesive primer/sealer is recommended (TOA, ICI, etc) and then the paint. Putting even the best paint in the world on top of a crappy/flaking/powdery surface is just a waste of money, especially if its on the exterior...and the rainy season will just present you with bubbling paint.

Edited by Pib