My First Songkran

chrisfwilson

I live in country Thailand, not in a bif falang community but in a quiet rural environment and this was my first Songkran festival. I have heard lots about it from other westeners but where I live really didnt meet those expectations

What I found was its really a two sided coin. There is a huge family orientation centered around the thai new year and the need to be and honour family elders as well as cleansing the budha room and if so desired wishing friends\ and neighbours good life etc

Then there is the public view

Sitting on the side of a road or in the back of a pick-up spraying water on passer-bys endulging in a few ales along the way

All in all it was a great experience, which may have been different if I lived elsewhere??

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Moat at Chiang Mai is a prime example, down by Thapae Gate / Loi Kroh it's absolute pandemonium and it's more like a series of physical assaults than anything to do with a water blessing. The tourist contingent is the worst in my opinion but the Thais are not innocent either.

However at other parts of the moat things are far more sedate and dare I say friendly, yes you'll still get scooted but it's followed up with a big smile and an invitation to join in the party.

I would love to see more of the New Year Parades but quite frankly they are ruined by boorish and stupid behaviour, what should be a gorgeous spectacle undone by idiots that can't control themselves.

I saw a young Mum with a toddler trying her best to make a few baht for her family cooking fried chicken yesterday having a bucket of moat water poured over her and her food by a stupid female tourist. When it was pointed out what she had done she said sorry and skipped off, the little toddler started crying and quite frankly I could have easily joined him. What a shame that was.

I love Songkran but I'm boycotting Thapae Gate now.

Just sayin'

As it's the op's first songkran this year it maybe a little sedate even in the villages due to low rain fall and shortages of water in most regions, in the village that i live it is usually a good humoured affair with thousands of gallons of water being used in the name of fun, this year though very quiet and little water spraying, the only problem that arises from this is the excess drinking that takes place to replace the water fun and then the problems start to arrise, i have seen this year that the home police in most areas where i live have had to be increased as they have brought in music to replace the water spraying and the normal 15 - 20yr olds are sat drinking and dancing all day in the sun, inevitably trouble breaks out on several occasions and the older element of the village end up wandering back to their homes with an air of dissappointment about the day..

• Like 1

Staying in the Onnut district, I don't mind seeing kids maybe to their mid-teens tossing water on passing motorists. Me & the family plan our schedule for the next few days to avoid getting wet unnecessarily (e.g., bad time to ride a songtaow). But at night, the 20 & 30 somethings are out there throwing water and generally acting stupid. I just can't help thinking they're a little old for this.

I do see fewer of them throwing water from pick-ups than in previous years, which is a good trend, esp since authorities said they'd be cracking down on this.

• Like 1

I spent it once in Koh Chang and it was an experience not to be missed,(or repeated?)
The problem in Koh Chang is it's just a small island,with only a single lane on either side of the road.This means that there's no way to avoid getting absolutely soaked every time you leave the house!
I ended up just wrapping my phone in a plastic bag every time I ventured out,I don't mind the Thais having fun but the biggest idiots are the foreigners,they're the ones with the ice water,<deleted>?
Having rented a scooter it was actually quite dangerous also to have water thrown into your face at 40mph,plus you got back home with the wettest crotch known to man as that's where all the water pools.After a while you just stop coming out in the day and wait unitl dark,as it's stopped by then!

Enjoy!

• Like 2

The Moat at Chiang Mai is a prime example, down by Thapae Gate / Loi Kroh it's absolute pandemonium and it's more like a series of physical assaults than anything to do with a water blessing. The tourist contingent is the worst in my opinion but the Thais are not innocent either.

However at other parts of the moat things are far more sedate and dare I say friendly, yes you'll still get scooted but it's followed up with a big smile and an invitation to join in the party.

I would love to see more of the New Year Parades but quite frankly they are ruined by boorish and stupid behaviour, what should be a gorgeous spectacle undone by idiots that can't control themselves.

I saw a young Mum with a toddler trying her best to make a few baht for her family cooking fried chicken yesterday having a bucket of moat water poured over her and her food by a stupid female tourist. When it was pointed out what she had done she said sorry and skipped off, the little toddler started crying and quite frankly I could have easily joined him. What a shame that was.

I love Songkran but I'm boycotting Thapae Gate now.

Just sayin'

You should have made that lady cough up some money Blether.
  • Like 2

Day 3 of 4 in Kalasin today smile.png

There are parts of town where no water throwing goes on and then there is Thanom Songkran where it goes crazy.

I got a soaking from many of my students and responded in kind.

If you need to go into town for shopping/market etc here you can avoid the melee.

Edited by chonabot

In previous years I sat in the back of the pick up and had great fun with the kids etc and was often mobbed and drowned in water when they saw the ferang.

Then it changed and you had early.twenty somethings throwing buckets of ice water, still with ice cubes in it, try that at 20km and it hurts. Last year the drunks were more prominent and persistant and some girls were repeatedly fondled etc and it all became unpleasant.

This year we stayed at home, but we als noticed when we did venture out that there were far less people about than any previous year, only one or two roadside packs, whereas they were every few hundred yards in previius years, seemed the whole thing has been ruined and changed from the happy fun times of previous years.

Edited by CharlieH

I spent it once in Koh Chang and it was an experience not to be missed,(or repeated?)

The problem in Koh Chang is it's just a small island,with only a single lane on either side of the road.This means that there's no way to avoid getting absolutely soaked every time you leave the house!

I ended up just wrapping my phone in a plastic bag every time I ventured out,I don't mind the Thais having fun but the biggest idiots are the foreigners,they're the ones with the ice water,<deleted>?

Having rented a scooter it was actually quite dangerous also to have water thrown into your face at 40mph,plus you got back home with the wettest crotch known to man as that's where all the water pools.After a while you just stop coming out in the day and wait unitl dark,as it's stopped by then!

Enjoy!

It doesnt stop after dark. Last night in Koh Chang at 9pm I ventured out to get some food and the typical tourist trash was still trying to knock over motorcycles by hitting them in the face with icewater. Next year I carry a water cannon full of urine for the tourists.

• Like 2

Enjoy!

It doesnt stop after dark. Last night in Koh Chang at 9pm I ventured out to get some food and the typical tourist trash was still trying to knock over motorcycles by hitting them in the face with icewater. Next year I carry a water cannon full of urine for the tourists.

Anger management ?

Maybe it's better not to escalate the war ... you are not going to 'teach them a lesson'.

Most of the complaints here seem to be about our behavior, and less so, about how the Thai's celebrate.

Yesterday was Muang Udon Thani's first official day (of 3) and it started slow. I did some late morning shopping and things were still being set up but according to the wife, it was full-on by mid-afternoon while I was napping at home... as the whiny, sourpuss, curmudgeonly, geriatric farang that I am choses to do. Went out around 9 pm to pick up my son and noticed that there were still outposts of silliness where youngsters were still chucking water at people on motorbikes and passing cars. That looked pretty stupid to me as as a whiny, sourpuss, curmudgeonly, geriatric farang. I noticed some pickups heading home from the city center, replete with water barrels and the wife confirmed that the 'ban' on chucking water from the back of pickups wasn't being seen to be enforced at all but there were less pickups doing it.

I reckon I will test the ban today, load up the pickup like last year and pile the kids in the back and have some fun while I stay reasonably dry inside.

The only way to beat the idiots who throw water at bikes is to slow right down and accept your fate....

I think they either lost a bet or were Chelsea supporters.

Good job they wasn't Millwall boys eh? Could've gotten real nasty.

• Like 1

The only way to beat the idiots who throw water at bikes is to slow right down and accept your fate....

I think they either lost a bet or were Chelsea supporters.

Good job they wasn't Millwall boys eh? Could've gotten real nasty.

Shaking in my flip flops blink.png

Edited by chonabot

First day yesterday on the outskitrsts of Udon, good day well behaved and finished when it got dark.Just kids in the morning till 3pm then I went out about 5pm and I can remember getting home sad.png but I woke up with sticky rice and noodles down my chest whistling.gif

Good day didn't see any accident's and all good fun, now coffee and a couple of paracetamol.

Have fun play safe smile.png

re

I do see fewer of them throwing water from pick-ups than in previous years, which is a good trend, esp since authorities said they'd be cracking down on this.

theyve not heard about this in chiang mai

pic of 7 loaded pick ups taken yesterday : (

dave2

post-42592-0-18149000-1365915356_thumb.j

re

theyve not heard about this in chiang mai

pic of 7 loaded pick ups taken yesterday : (

dave2

Have you sent this evidence to Interpol yet?

• Like 2

Whilst they have tried to enforce the rule of no throwing water from pick ups, it clearly isn't working and people are ignoring it as I saw loads of pick ups yesterday loaded with people throwing water.

I spent Songkran near Khao San and Soi Rambuttri. It was crazy, but I'm not an old grumpy fart so I was all for it. ;) I didn't see any trouble at all this year which was good and Khao San was much more tame this year than it was last year. At one point I thought there was going to be a crush because there was so many people.

Got soaked to the skin, loved every minute of it and was out till after dark.

In my opinion, Songkran only happens once a year so might as well make the most of it and have fun. I don't condone the water throwing from pick ups or throwing ice cold water at motorists on the roads but a waterfight is all in light hearted spirits.

I did chuckle seeing a few old tourists walking around Soi Rambuttri kind of expecting to stay dry and they were angry and furious when someone wet them! Grumpy faces are priceless. :P

-

Took a walk all the way from one end of Silom to the other yesterday.

I was absolutely amazed at how orderly and polite the crowd was, being unarmed myself and expressing a preference to stay dry was actually successful 99% of the time.

Of course the end result was still being pretty wet most of the time, but I only got clay-smeared a little bit on the back of my shirt, which I only noticed this morning (since I don't have power at home at the moment).

All in all I have to admit it was fun, but won't be at the top of the things I'll miss about Thailand.

The little ones are raving about how much fun they're having with it out in the rice paddies though, much saner atmosphere there. . .

Whilst they have tried to enforce the rule of no throwing water from pick ups, it clearly isn't working and people are ignoring it as I saw loads of pick ups yesterday loaded with people throwing water.

I spent Songkran near Khao San and Soi Rambuttri. It was crazy, but I'm not an old grumpy fart so I was all for it. wink.png I didn't see any trouble at all this year which was good and Khao San was much more tame this year than it was last year. At one point I thought there was going to be a crush because there was so many people.

Got soaked to the skin, loved every minute of it and was out till after dark.

In my opinion, Songkran only happens once a year so might as well make the most of it and have fun. I don't condone the water throwing from pick ups or throwing ice cold water at motorists on the roads but a waterfight is all in light hearted spirits.

I did chuckle seeing a few old tourists walking around Soi Rambuttri kind of expecting to stay dry and they were angry and furious when someone wet them! Grumpy faces are priceless. tongue.png

Nice Post, I may be old but not yet grumpy :)

Had a fun couple of days and look forward to the next 2 here in Kalasin.

Having said that, I just popped out to the Lotus and got soaked about 5 times with ice cold water each time.

I managed to smile through it though...this time next week I will be in Fort Willaim, and then I will understand freezing cold conditions.

• Like 1