My First Songkran

chrisfwilson

I spent it once in Koh Chang and it was an experience not to be missed,(or repeated?)

The problem in Koh Chang is it's just a small island,with only a single lane on either side of the road.This means that there's no way to avoid getting absolutely soaked every time you leave the house!

I ended up just wrapping my phone in a plastic bag every time I ventured out,I don't mind the Thais having fun but the biggest idiots are the foreigners,they're the ones with the ice water,<deleted>?

Having rented a scooter it was actually quite dangerous also to have water thrown into your face at 40mph,plus you got back home with the wettest crotch known to man as that's where all the water pools.After a while you just stop coming out in the day and wait unitl dark,as it's stopped by then!

Enjoy!

Sorry, but why were you riding at 40mph when you must have known that you would probably get a bucket of water of water thrown in your face?

Also, in Pattaya at least, it was the THAIS that put ice in the water.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Songkran is that there is now way to opt out. I think it is past time that there was some type of indicator recognized as a 'don't get me wet' symbol. perhaps a brightly colored ribbon or something.

There are situations where people really need to be left alone. One example is, this week my wife is in Chiang Rai and she needs to go to the ICU 3 times daily to visit our son. She is staying with a friend, but all she has is a motorcycle to get back and forth. I am back home with the truck and the other kids. She would really prefer to get to the hospital dry, but it is not an option.

Another example is from last year when we were taking a boy with a serious head injury to the hospital. He was in the back of our truck and we had to get through a whole town lined with water tossers to get him to emergency. Once again it would have been nice to have a way to be allowed to go through unmolested.

Your wife can easily get to the hospital in a dry state. 7 11 sell raincoats for a few baht. I see Thais wearing them on their m'bikes when it rains.

I myself wear a raincoat from home- works a treat. Just have to put up with Thais laughing at me.

The problem with Songkran is that there is now way to opt out. I think it is past time that there was some type of indicator recognized as a 'don't get me wet' symbol. perhaps a brightly colored ribbon or something.

There are situations where people really need to be left alone. One example is, this week my wife is in Chiang Rai and she needs to go to the ICU 3 times daily to visit our son. She is staying with a friend, but all she has is a motorcycle to get back and forth. I am back home with the truck and the other kids. She would really prefer to get to the hospital dry, but it is not an option.

Another example is from last year when we were taking a boy with a serious head injury to the hospital. He was in the back of our truck and we had to get through a whole town lined with water tossers to get him to emergency. Once again it would have been nice to have a way to be allowed to go through unmolested.

Your wife can easily get to the hospital in a dry state. 7 11 sell raincoats for a few baht. I see Thais wearing them on their m'bikes when it rains.

I myself wear a raincoat from home- works a treat. Just have to put up with Thais laughing at me.

And a hat I suppose, I will ask if she would consider it. Songkran should begin to wrap up for this year shortly.

But a symbol to be left alone would not be difficult to introduce.

And a hat I suppose, I will ask if she would consider it. Songkran should begin to wrap up for this year shortly.

But a symbol to be left alone would not be difficult to introduce.

A symbol would just be a target to drunken hoons. The only solution is either avoidance or wearing waterproof clothing- both work for me.

I must say I find such vitriol directed at tourists/visitors to Thailand on Thai Visa rather bizarre and actually rather arrogant - yes tourists don't understand a lot of things about Thailand but does that make them somehow inferior people to residents, haven't we all been tourists somewhere sometime, maybe there should be a law passed that people cannot travel to a destination until they've studied many years on the place and have passed their exams!

I agree on all points, many hypocrites on here, I opened up a thread regarding the same people's attitude towards religious festivals at home. I wondered if they were model religious saints when celebrating at home. As expected not many have responded smile.png

Many Thais appreciate our participation in this fun, they don't care whether or not we really understand the meaning, so why should we?

chonabot, not often I disagree with what you write, but when you say that you agree with every of the above points ... I have to reply.

Firstly, I was one of the Thai Visa members having a shot at the 'tourists/visitors' ... but would like to add the longer term repeat tourists and some longer term residents who are probably the worst offenders.

My position is that I absolutely love the Songkran Festival ... both the respectful side, the religious side and the playful side, so I am not advocating to all to become Monks etc.

The other position I have is that I refuse to (in general) celebrate Songkran with Farangs ... even though I am one.

My 2nd Songkran was in Pattaya. Taking the Songthell along beach road we stopped to allow passengers to alight. Having just arrived, I'm in nice clothes, have my suitcase and computer bag ... had a mix of Thai and Farang in the back with me, including 2 old ladies and a Mum with her 2 year old.

At the stop, the Farang entered the back of the truck and with a hose proceeded to spray all of us ... sigh. I'm wet, bags a bit wet, old ladies not impressed, child is crying ... sad.png

Later that night we asked the Hotels Tuk-Tuk to take us into Pattaya ... 'No, sorry, can not, Tuk-Tuk not working' was the reply ... bullshit of course ... the Hotel or the driver just didn't want to drive through the crazyiness that is Songkran in Pattaya.

Nor did he want to run the gauntlet of the Farang who had hired a water tanker and was on the main road sitting atop and using the pump assisted fire hose like the police would use a water cannon. ... dry.png

What many tourists, short term, long term or repeat don't realise is that Songkran is a game to played.

You pick your targets, you have fun, you battle, you play.

The object is not to saturate any living object.

How do I feel when I have to go to an Office in Bangkok, in the good gear and some idiot decides that, because I am on Silom Rd ... I'm fair game ... and yes, it was a Farang.

So, while it is a sweeping generalisation, if there are Farangs involved in the area to celebrate Songrkan ... I'll defer.

Not last year, but the year before, I was in the back of the pick-up at Bung San (30 odd klms north of Pattaya) with several others having a whale of a time exchanging fire with one an all ... so not a wozer or someone who thinks my shit doesn't stink.

There is no right way or wrong way to celebrate Songkran ... but I prefer how the Thai's do it, and not how, in general, the tourists do it.

I agree smile.png

Myself and my family will be spending our last 4 days in Thailand in Pattaya. We have friends there it will be fun smile.png

We will be there the 18th Through to 22nd..we will probably stay in the hotel complex until the 20th ..but I may feel a little brave and venture forth smile.png

If any TVers wish to have a beer with me - please pm me smile.png

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1

I spent it once in Koh Chang and it was an experience not to be missed,(or repeated?)

The problem in Koh Chang is it's just a small island,with only a single lane on either side of the road.This means that there's no way to avoid getting absolutely soaked every time you leave the house!

I ended up just wrapping my phone in a plastic bag every time I ventured out,I don't mind the Thais having fun but the biggest idiots are the foreigners,they're the ones with the ice water,<deleted>?

Having rented a scooter it was actually quite dangerous also to have water thrown into your face at 40mph,plus you got back home with the wettest crotch known to man as that's where all the water pools.After a while you just stop coming out in the day and wait unitl dark,as it's stopped by then!

Enjoy!

Sorry, but why were you riding at 40mph when you must have known that you would probably get a bucket of water of water thrown in your face?

40mph is a reasonable speed on a modern scooter,it's actually the speed limit for most European roads in a built up area.We're not exactly talking Joey Dunlop (R.I.P.) jumping Ballaugh Bridge then getting his knee down on The Isle of Man TT now are we?rolleyes.gif

Enjoy!

40mph is a reasonable speed on a modern scooter,it's actually the speed limit for most European roads in a built up area.We're not exactly talking Joey Dunlop (R.I.P.) jumping Ballaugh Bridge then getting his knee down on The Isle of Man TT now are we?rolleyes.gif

30 is the max in built up areas....if you see that people have water to throw..just slow down and take it. Where are you in such a hurry to get to?

Today I was on the family pick up in Kalasin and witnessed one guy throw talc in my 14 year old's eyes - on purpose, or so it seemed.

I was annoyed and my son was in pain for a while.

I could have easily jumped out of the truck and dished a beating out to this guy.

But I made sure my boy's eyes were ok and we continued on our merry dance.

I thought about my past and things I wished i hadn't done. ( believe me they are many and most from reaction )....and the day ended well :)

• Like 1

I am 47 and passed my UK test 30 years ago

You missed the point smile.png

I have been to KC 9 times in the last 20 years.

There are teribblle hill gradients to deal with and you should go for a slow speed even if you know the roads, other do not.

I have never had an accident and have driven on 6 continents.

Do not drive at 40 if people are throwing water..simple really

You cannot change the laws of Thailand but you should adjust your own rigid attitude

I have lived in 9 different countries and always respect the festivals..why can't you ?

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1

The last official day in Udon and we loaded up the pickup and headed for Kut Chap at 2 PM. My choice of destination as the Thai travelers were clueless about where to go, I was driving and I had never been there. Drove through Udon to the western ring road and it was really quiet. Pleasant 1 hour drive with plenty of slowdowns at roadside 'shooting ranges' and everyone was having a blast. Several tamboons observed with money trees and walking processions followed by a pickup with huge speakers strapped on the back. Even had to detour one moobahn as they had traffic guys waving us down a dirt track as the main street was blocked. Stopped and refilled just outside town and bought some ice (and dry togs for my boy) before heading for Nong Wua So. Much quieter on that route and around 5 PM, the wife spotted a restaurant that was just about to close so we piled in there and gorged on miang pla pao, somtam and other stuff. Total was 1020 baht for all 13 hungry and wet souls which I thought was great value. Got back into Udon around 6PM and refilled the bathtub for a final foray around the streets. Got caught in total traffic gridlock before getting anywhere near 'the action' so used he GPS to find some really, REALLY narrow soi's to get back home and end the day with beer Lao on the patio. Friends popped out on the motorbike around 9 PM to get some dinner and reported that it was still manic out there so I reckon they were saving the best (or worst) for last!

Happy New Year Thailand!

• Like 2

This is my third Songkran since I moved to Thailand and it has been the best. I have been able to find nice little cafes where I could sit outside during the day and enjoy a nice meal or a good cup of coffee without worrying about getting soaked. It has been quite a change from the previous two years. You all should come down to Georgetown too for a nice, dry Songkran.

David

This is my third Songkran since I moved to Thailand and it has been the best. I have been able to find nice little cafes where I could sit outside during the day and enjoy a nice meal or a good cup of coffee without worrying about getting soaked. It has been quite a change from the previous two years. You all should come down to Georgetown too for a nice, dry Songkran.

David

Sounds ace - where is it exactly bro ?

There are teribblle hill gradients to deal with and you should go for a slow speed even if you know the roads, other do not.

You cannot change the laws of Thailand but you should adjust your own rigid attitude

I have lived in 9 different countries and always respect the festivals..why can't you ?

You seem to be spectacularly missing the point here but I will have one more go to explain it,after that I will resign myself to the fact that now I know why school leavers have such a poor standard of English with teachers as dense as you!<snip>

Nope, he and most of the Thai Visa membership got the point ... rolleyes.gif

So Goong Chae Nam Pla ... enjoying your new surroundings?

You seem to be spectacularly missing the point here but I will have one more go to explain it,after that I will resign myself to the fact that now I know why school leavers have such a poor standard of English with teachers as dense as you!

What part of Farang tourists throwing idea water in your face at 40mph on a scooter is part of tradition or has anything whatsoever to do with Songkran?Even the Thai Government have come out and said that it's a dangerous practice anyway and have tried to stop it,along with pickups and water barrels but you know better than them,do you?

Temporarily blinding someone in control of any type of vehicle is definitely not what Songkran is abut and needs to be stamped out by any means.The fact that most of the time it's idiotic,drunken tourists just makes it worse.You are attempting to defend the indefensible,please try to think about what you are saying in the future,if only for the sake of those poor Thai school kids!

Hey ho! Yet another TV poster badly in need of some Gaviscon** to control the acid and bile.

** Other products are available and do a similar job. Always check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking. Read the instructions carefully.

PS. As a retired teacher, I was going to correct your errors (spelling and grammar), but that might seem as if I were extracting the Michael by focusing on your (unintentionally) hypocritical post coffee1.gif

• Like 1

You seem to be spectacularly missing the point here but I will have one more go to explain it,after that I will resign myself to the fact that now I know why school leavers have such a poor standard of English with teachers as dense as you!

What part of Farang tourists throwing idea water in your face at 40mph on a scooter is part of tradition or has anything whatsoever to do with Songkran?Even the Thai Government have come out and said that it's a dangerous practice anyway and have tried to stop it,along with pickups and water barrels but you know better than them,do you?

Temporarily blinding someone in control of any type of vehicle is definitely not what Songkran is abut and needs to be stamped out by any means.The fact that most of the time it's idiotic,drunken tourists just makes it worse.You are attempting to defend the indefensible,please try to think about what you are saying in the future,if only for the sake of those poor Thai school kids!

I may be dense..but I know when to slow down...

If anything you have shown your own lack of education by blaming me for the apparent low level of Thai school leavers English on poor old me smile.png

There are ways to disagree without using insults, it's called a 'vocabulary'

Good day angry little man ..and keep your speed down you hear?

smile.png

Edited by chonabot

Had to venture out on the motorbike yesterday in Chiang Mai and had managed to avoid much of the mayhem. However, even though I was seen to be trying to carefully navigate traffic, I still got a full bucket of ice-cold water thrown directly at me by a farang. I enjoy the festivities as much as anyone but some people are just plain thick in the head.

Riding a motorcycle during Songkran is hardly intelligent.

• Like 1

If anything you have shown your own lack of education by blaming me for the apparent low level of Thai school leavers English on poor old me smile.png

smile.png

Maybe he is unaware of how good the Scottish education system is. wink.png Have a safe journey to Lochaber.... (Rob bursts into a quick chorus of Runrig's "Going Home") drunk.gif

• Like 1

smile.png

Maybe he is unaware of how good the Scottish education system is. wink.png Have a safe journey to Lochaber.... (Rob bursts into a quick chorus of Runrig's "Going Home") drunk.gif
The same education system that gives you the shortest life expectancy in Western Europe?coffee1.gif
OMG!!! I only got three Scottish Certificate of Education 'O' levels!!! Does that mean I'm gonna die young???!!! Tell me it's not so!!!!
  • Like 1

I am presently in Pattaya.

I must say that I don't like Songkran. I like wearing clean, and dry clothes.

I understand that I am in Thailand, and that his is a Thai tradition. But, why must I be assaulted by people throwing water and smearing me with clay, or some such substance. Calling something a festival should not empower other people to impose on and violate any one. Many places are air conditioned. It is very uncomfortable going inside them soaked with ice water. I like to take long walks, but not while soaked with water. I try to be tolerant, and good humored. But I am finding it increasingly challenging!

Hmm yes... Exactly what Thailand needs. A developing country that has a lot of people getting drunk and splashing water at people who don´t want it instead of spending that day improving the financial structure of this country. I don´t mind Song Kran really if we followed the traditional way.

Now it has been twisted into something else. I find the tourists worse than the Thais in this matter.

I can get it when you have kids and you wanna show the kids some fun but when a 60 year old tourist run in the crowd with waterpacks like a Ghostbuster, you start to wonder where this world is heading.

A lot of the Thai's splashing water work away from their villages and only come home once or twice a year.

Please allow them a few days sillyness before they get back to 'improving the financial structure'

As a Westerner yourself, do you celebrate Christmas in the traditional way, as you imply others should celebrate this religious festival?

Not sure my country would need that as it is fully developed and it´s not that they have it, it is what it causes. There's a reason the government were thinking of "dry zones". I´m pretty sure you are one of those who join in for the fun of it but if you knew Thai culture you know it´s not what they meant. Now it has become a festival of drunks, free to molest and rape and hose down people who who are not in for it (and that includes even Thais)... but I can figure which category you fit into.smile.png

What exactly are you inferring here?

Well it wasn´t that you are a rapist if that´s what you think but def. someone who joins this debacle for obvious reasons but does not care what it's really about. What I found ridiculous was to compare this with Xmas. rolleyes.gif

Both are the biggest festivals of the year in their respective cultures and both have people, like me, who participate for the fun and,
apparently do not understand the reasons behind the event - a simple but obvious similarity methinks.

Having been married to a Thai lady for nearly 20 years and having taught in a Thai school, where
they are heavy on Thai culture, I think I know more than the average joe about these events.

The fact that I like to have some fun now and then..well excuse me :)

I was invited to partake in water throwing by my students, some teachers and my son, and it was a great few days of just that.

Both are the biggest festivals of the year in their respective cultures

-

Easter is MUCH more important in many Christian cultures, particularly the more religious ones.

Christmas just wasn't such a big deal until Coca Cola invented Santa Claus and the nascent marketing industry started pounding away at gift-giving as the basis for spend-spend-spend whether you can afford it or not.

Both are the biggest festivals of the year in their respective cultures

-

Easter is MUCH more important in many Christian cultures, particularly the more religious ones.

Christmas just wasn't such a big deal until Coca Cola invented Santa Claus and the nascent marketing industry started pounding away at gift-giving as the basis for spend-spend-spend whether you can afford it or not.

I agree with some of what's written above ... but, may I phrase it slightly differently?

Coca Cola re-invented Santa Claus in an image that was marketable for them and the nascent marketing industry started pounding away at gift-giving as the basis for spend-spend-spend whether you can afford it or not.

Most of us bemoan the commercialisation of Christmas.

Be we aside from the Songkran question ...

Hope you all enjoyed the festivities ... what surprised me was that few posted photos of their fun ... but cameras are difficult to stay dry, I know.

These were Pattaya in 2010. The kids just smiled at us and waved ... no intention to wet us as they could see that we weren't (on this occasion) playing Songkran.

post-104736-0-89727200-1366144887_thumb.

Team Tactics 1

post-104736-0-83828900-1366144890_thumb.

Team Tactics 2

post-104736-0-71807800-1366144893_thumb.

Take aim

post-104736-0-23355800-1366144897_thumb.

Quick refill

post-104736-0-67286200-1366144884_thumb.

Target acquired ... next ... smile.png

I had a great first Songkran.

Saturday we spent most of the day in Silom which was fun but manic.

Found the locals to be nothing but respectful, polite and accommodating and genuinely out for a good time. A really good day, glad we left by about 6pm when it started to get shoulder to shoulder busy.

Sunday was a bit different. Went to Sukhumvit and outside one of the bars, saw two fights at different times of the day. Both foreigner on foreigner.

One, where a middle aged woman (who didn't look like a tourist) picked up a bottle to smash the man who'd squirted her with his super soaker. Only after she was overpowered did she throw it at him. Shameful, truly shameful.

Bit surprised it hasn't been written about here, it was witnessed by most of the soi.

• Like 1

.... Bit surprised it hasn't been written about here, it was witnessed by most of the soi.

But how can TV'ers witness this when they are all in self-imposed siege at home, stuck behind their keyboards and deliberately avoiding the fun and joy that is Songkran?

• Like 1

.... Bit surprised it hasn't been written about here, it was witnessed by most of the soi.

But how can TV'ers witness this when they are all in self-imposed siege at home, stuck behind their keyboards and deliberately avoiding the fun and joy that is Songkran?

Fun and joy, Songkran??? Not in Pattaya, it's a water war, nothing else, nothing to do with Songkran at all. When done correctly you only throw at most a handful on other people and then wai them.

Here it's about having the biggest gun and filled with ice water too and then shot them right in the eyes.

I enjoyed my self-imposed house arrest, had good steaks on the grill, read a good book.

Had to venture out on the motorbike yesterday in Chiang Mai and had managed to avoid much of the mayhem. However, even though I was seen to be trying to carefully navigate traffic, I still got a full bucket of ice-cold water thrown directly at me by a farang. I enjoy the festivities as much as anyone but some people are just plain thick in the head.

Riding a motorcycle during Songkran is hardly intelligent.

People kind of need to get from A to B, even during Songkran.

wink.png

Saw on television a few days ago, some teenagers standing with buckets in the middle of the road somewhere.

Looked like (I might be wrong) they opened the doors to the cars when stopping for red light, then poured a little bit water on the drivers.

One heavy set man walks slowly out of his car, towards the teenagers, then slaps one of them very hard so the teenager falls down on the deck, not moving.

The driver turns and walks slowly in to his car, and drives away.

They showed a surveillance tape/video with it on Thai news.

Anyone watched it?