My First Songkran

chrisfwilson

-

Took a walk all the way from one end of Silom to the other yesterday.

I was absolutely amazed at how orderly and polite the crowd was, being unarmed myself and expressing a preference to stay dry was actually successful 99% of the time.

Of course the end result was still being pretty wet most of the time, but I only got clay-smeared a little bit on the back of my shirt, which I only noticed this morning (since I don't have power at home at the moment).

All in all I have to admit it was fun, but won't be at the top of the things I'll miss about Thailand.

The little ones are raving about how much fun they're having with it out in the rice paddies though, much saner atmosphere there. . .

I used to walk up Silom road regulary before the BTS, as it was often faster. I did the same a few months ago and walked up. There were heaps of other foreigner walking up in front and behind me.

All the other foreigners seemed to get hassled by touts, tuk tuk drivers etc. I was not hassled once.

Thai people are very perceptive - they can tell how long you have lived here by the way you walk, the clothes you wear and the expression of your face. Maybe I ought to buy a new pair of shorts and stop wearing my 20 year old Ramones t-shirt.

• Like 2

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm yes... Exactly what Thailand needs. A developing country that has a lot of people getting drunk and splashing water at people who don´t want it instead of spending that day improving the financial structure of this country. I don´t mind Song Kran really if we followed the traditional way.

Now it has been twisted into something else. I find the tourists worse than the Thais in this matter.

I can get it when you have kids and you wanna show the kids some fun but when a 60 year old tourist run in the crowd with waterpacks like a Ghostbuster, you start to wonder where this world is heading.

Edited by maxme

The morons are already out in Pattaya and it won't stop for a week ,so we stay around where we live just little kids with water pistols ,no problem with them ,its the Tourists and the like with nothing between their ears that piss me off.

Have a trip outside the big tourist spots, and you see the morons are also represented by the locals as well.

• Like 1

I got caught up in the wet moobahn revelry with my old neighbours on the outskirts of Udon. I went large and a bottle of Hong Thong around 11 AM to get them warmed up after the late breakfast of somtam, gaiyang and kaoniaow. By 3 PM, they were switching to large beer Lao and mostly blathered... so I made my escape.

Still low-key on day #2 in Muang Udon although I didn't venture to Prajak Lake where I hear they authorities pedestrianized the whole shebang. Saw loads of pickups coming back from Nong Khai in the evening... so reckon most went there instead. The only worrying aspect is the 'night snipers' still throwing water after dark with motorcycles being the primary target. To avoid detection, a lot of motorcycles are turning off their headlights as well as racing and swerving which makes them kinda invisible so slow driving in order.

Last 'official' day today so just may get a bucket or two in the back of the pickup and take a drive since the kids like it.

Hmm yes... Exactly what Thailand needs. A developing country that has a lot of people getting drunk and splashing water at people who don´t want it instead of spending that day improving the financial structure of this country. I don´t mind Song Kran really if we followed the traditional way.

Now it has been twisted into something else. I find the tourists worse than the Thais in this matter.

I can get it when you have kids and you wanna show the kids some fun but when a 60 year old tourist run in the crowd with waterpacks like a Ghostbuster, you start to wonder where this world is heading.

A lot of the Thai's splashing water work away from their villages and only come home once or twice a year.

Please allow them a few days sillyness before they get back to 'improving the financial structure'

As a Westerner yourself, do you celebrate Christmas in the traditional way, as you imply others should celebrate this religious festival?

• Like 2

Good fun in Chiang Mai, only farang getting out of control on the water aspect. Thai are more drunk then doing crazy water things in my opinion. Went to the city center yesterday my GF and some other girls got strong waterbeam in the faces and ears.. Some farang was trying to be funny. Told him to stop and just enjoy the fun rather to be an <deleted> arshole. He said that he was only pointing at the 'neck'.. Went to a relatively quiet spot and got out my camera to make some video's... Farang spotted me and shot me right in the lens .. I don't know about all of you but I can honestly say I wouldn't see a Thai doing that to anyone. Camera's still alive so no worries...

Great shots!

Of course, I also loved it and was prepared to get my camera killed for the sake of some good shots. But in the end it just hits me that some people are getting out of control. Honestly I can see why.. Things are turning into one big wild party with no limits, some people like to exceed in this. In the end I love Songkran and can't wait to go out again today!

Very few youths in the West know what Christmas is truly about anymore. Not since it was hijacked by Coca Cola and other corporations and turned into a corporate money making event.

Very few youths in Thailand know what Songkran is truly about anymore. Not since it was hijacked by Air Asia and other corporations and turned into a corporate money making event.

Very few youths in the West know what Christmas is truly about anymore. Not since it was hijacked by Coca Cola and other corporations and turned into a corporate money making event.

Very few youths in Thailand know what Songkran is truly about anymore. Not since it was hijacked by Air Asia and other corporations and turned into a corporate money making event.

A sweeping generalisation methinks.

Perhaps the kids parents in the west are more at fault with not educating their children about Christmas, but they probably lost the plot some time ago.

Regarding kids in Thailand not understanding Songkran...hmmmm

I teach at a government school here and can tell you that, from my perspective, they know a damn sight more about the origins and reasons than you or I.

Thought I might as well update on Songkran in Bangkok...

Yesterday I had a second brilliant day, and was dancing in the streets with all the Thai people and everything was going great until a young Thai teenage boy was shot about 4 metres from where we were dancing/standing on Rambuttri, next to Khao San Road.

It appeared to be gang related as the boy who was shot in the stomach passed a massive kitchen knife to another boy and a gang of boys went running towards the shooter...

Very sad and dangerous. I saw the boy who was shot in the stomach get up and run off holding a bleeding gun shot wound in his stomach... He looked no older than 18 - 19. :(

I spent it once in Koh Chang and it was an experience not to be missed,(or repeated?)

The problem in Koh Chang is it's just a small island,with only a single lane on either side of the road.This means that there's no way to avoid getting absolutely soaked every time you leave the house!

I ended up just wrapping my phone in a plastic bag every time I ventured out,I don't mind the Thais having fun but the biggest idiots are the foreigners,they're the ones with the ice water,<deleted>?

Having rented a scooter it was actually quite dangerous also to have water thrown into your face at 40mph,plus you got back home with the wettest crotch known to man as that's where all the water pools.After a while you just stop coming out in the day and wait unitl dark,as it's stopped by then!

Enjoy!

It doesnt stop after dark. Last night in Koh Chang at 9pm I ventured out to get some food and the typical tourist trash was still trying to knock over motorcycles by hitting them in the face with icewater. Next year I carry a water cannon full of urine for the tourists.

I must say I find such vitriol directed at tourists/visitors to Thailand on Thai Visa rather bizarre and actually rather arrogant - yes tourists don't understand a lot of things about Thailand but does that make them somehow inferior people to residents, haven't we all been tourists somewhere sometime, maybe there should be a law passed that people cannot travel to a destination until they've studied many years on the place and have passed their exams!

• Like 1

I spent it once in Koh Chang and it was an experience not to be missed,(or repeated?)

The problem in Koh Chang is it's just a small island,with only a single lane on either side of the road.This means that there's no way to avoid getting absolutely soaked every time you leave the house!

I ended up just wrapping my phone in a plastic bag every time I ventured out,I don't mind the Thais having fun but the biggest idiots are the foreigners,they're the ones with the ice water,<deleted>?

Having rented a scooter it was actually quite dangerous also to have water thrown into your face at 40mph,plus you got back home with the wettest crotch known to man as that's where all the water pools.After a while you just stop coming out in the day and wait unitl dark,as it's stopped by then!

Enjoy!

It doesnt stop after dark. Last night in Koh Chang at 9pm I ventured out to get some food and the typical tourist trash was still trying to knock over motorcycles by hitting them in the face with icewater. Next year I carry a water cannon full of urine for the tourists.

I must say I find such vitriol directed at tourists/visitors to Thailand on Thai Visa rather bizarre and actually rather arrogant - yes tourists don't understand a lot of things about Thailand but does that make them somehow inferior people to residents, haven't we all been tourists somewhere sometime, maybe there should be a law passed that people cannot travel to a destination until they've studied many years on the place and have passed their exams!

I agree on all points, many hypocrites on here, I opened up a thread regarding the same people's attitude towards religious festivals at home. I wondered if they were model religious saints when celebrating at home. As expected not many have responded :)

Many Thais appreciate our participation in this fun, they don't care whether or not we really understand the meaning, so why should we?

The Moat at Chiang Mai is a prime example, down by Thapae Gate / Loi Kroh it's absolute pandemonium and it's more like a series of physical assaults than anything to do with a water blessing. The tourist contingent is the worst in my opinion but the Thais are not innocent either.

However at other parts of the moat things are far more sedate and dare I say friendly, yes you'll still get scooted but it's followed up with a big smile and an invitation to join in the party.

I would love to see more of the New Year Parades but quite frankly they are ruined by boorish and stupid behaviour, what should be a gorgeous spectacle undone by idiots that can't control themselves.

I saw a young Mum with a toddler trying her best to make a few baht for her family cooking fried chicken yesterday having a bucket of moat water poured over her and her food by a stupid female tourist. When it was pointed out what she had done she said sorry and skipped off, the little toddler started crying and quite frankly I could have easily joined him. What a shame that was.

I love Songkran but I'm boycotting Thapae Gate now.

Just sayin'

I cannot believe it (of course I believe you) cannot believe grown up people behave like that sick.gif , I am in Samui, in Lamai I did not see anything of the sort on the contrary I was surprised for it seems to me most of the tourist did behaved very well IMHO

A good few years ago there was a story in the press about, I believe a certain VIP's wife, who slapped a kid around the ear for throwing water on her when she was on her way to some function or whatever.

At that time I had been here a few years and it just re-enforced my commitment to stack up with the essentials at home for a few days and stay away from it all.

If I really want to get that wet I'll jump in the pool.

+1

I agree on all points, many hypocrites on here, I opened up a thread regarding the same people's attitude towards religious festivals at home. I wondered if they were model religious saints when celebrating at home. As expected not many have responded smile.png

Many Thais appreciate our participation in this fun, they don't care whether or not we really understand the meaning, so why should we?

chonabot, not often I disagree with what you write, but when you say that you agree with every of the above points ... I have to reply.

Firstly, I was one of the Thai Visa members having a shot at the 'tourists/visitors' ... but would like to add the longer term repeat tourists and some longer term residents who are probably the worst offenders.

My position is that I absolutely love the Songkran Festival ... both the respectful side, the religious side and the playful side, so I am not advocating to all to become Monks etc.

The other position I have is that I refuse to (in general) celebrate Songkran with Farangs ... even though I am one.

My 2nd Songkran was in Pattaya. Taking the Songthell along beach road we stopped to allow passengers to alight. Having just arrived, I'm in nice clothes, have my suitcase and computer bag ... had a mix of Thai and Farang in the back with me, including 2 old ladies and a Mum with her 2 year old.

At the stop, the Farang entered the back of the truck and with a hose proceeded to spray all of us ... sigh. I'm wet, bags a bit wet, old ladies not impressed, child is crying ... sad.png

Later that night we asked the Hotels Tuk-Tuk to take us into Pattaya ... 'No, sorry, can not, Tuk-Tuk not working' was the reply ... bullshit of course ... the Hotel or the driver just didn't want to drive through the crazyiness that is Songkran in Pattaya.

Nor did he want to run the gauntlet of the Farang who had hired a water tanker and was on the main road sitting atop and using the pump assisted fire hose like the police would use a water cannon. ... dry.png

What many tourists, short term, long term or repeat don't realise is that Songkran is a game to played.

You pick your targets, you have fun, you battle, you play.

The object is not to saturate any living object.

How do I feel when I have to go to an Office in Bangkok, in the good gear and some idiot decides that, because I am on Silom Rd ... I'm fair game ... and yes, it was a Farang.

So, while it is a sweeping generalisation, if there are Farangs involved in the area to celebrate Songrkan ... I'll defer.

Not last year, but the year before, I was in the back of the pick-up at Bung San (30 odd klms north of Pattaya) with several others having a whale of a time exchanging fire with one an all ... so not a wozer or someone who thinks my shit doesn't stink.

There is no right way or wrong way to celebrate Songkran ... but I prefer how the Thai's do it, and not how, in general, the tourists do it.

The Moat at Chiang Mai is a prime example, down by Thapae Gate / Loi Kroh it's absolute pandemonium and it's more like a series of physical assaults than anything to do with a water blessing. The tourist contingent is the worst in my opinion but the Thais are not innocent either.

However at other parts of the moat things are far more sedate and dare I say friendly, yes you'll still get scooted but it's followed up with a big smile and an invitation to join in the party.

I would love to see more of the New Year Parades but quite frankly they are ruined by boorish and stupid behaviour, what should be a gorgeous spectacle undone by idiots that can't control themselves.

I saw a young Mum with a toddler trying her best to make a few baht for her family cooking fried chicken yesterday having a bucket of moat water poured over her and her food by a stupid female tourist. When it was pointed out what she had done she said sorry and skipped off, the little toddler started crying and quite frankly I could have easily joined him. What a shame that was.

I love Songkran but I'm boycotting Thapae Gate now.

Just sayin'

I cannot believe it (of course I believe you) cannot believe grown up people behave like that sick.gif , I am in Samui, in Lamai I did not see anything of the sort on the contrary I was surprised for it seems to me most of the tourist did behaved very well IMHO

I suppose it was just over exuberance / being unaware of her surroundings. I don't think for one minute it was intended and I bet that young lady is regretful, or at least I hope she is.

My hotel / residence put up a notice to warn people of the dangers of Songkran in regards to potential water damage and pickpockets, however I haven't seen any notices anywhere explaining the etiquette of Songkran. That would be a good start.

Bottom line is it's totally out of control, everyone and everything is subject to getting drenched, often in a spirit of malicious glee.

A wedding procession with the new bride dressed in a 5 million baht white gown and veil followed by a million-baht 5-tiered wedding cake would not be spared in any of the areas I've frequented in the past five years. Especially if a farang is involved.

But that's the way it is, forewarned is forearmed stay inside, leave the country or go out as if you're at the beach expecting a tsunami - IOW deal with it.

The boy getting shot can't be blamed on the holiday IMO, but the surrounding insanity surely doesn't help does it.

@ChaiLor

I'm highlighting this quote.

I also had a Thai smear the white paste on my face but it was mixed with menthol balm to ensure it stings my eyes,

Unbelievably stupid behaviour. Unbelievable.

Do you seriously think the poster, who one assumes to being a newbie, went back and calmly spoke Thai with the man who had rubbed the white paste on his face to identify that it was 'menthol balm' ... whistling.gif

Had to venture out on the motorbike yesterday in Chiang Mai and had managed to avoid much of the mayhem. However, even though I was seen to be trying to carefully navigate traffic, I still got a full bucket of ice-cold water thrown directly at me by a farang. I enjoy the festivities as much as anyone but some people are just plain thick in the head.

This was my first Songkran too......(I'm in Chiang Mai, btw)

On Friday, I went from Chiang Mai Gate to Chang Phuak, and by the time we were at Tha Pae Gate, we were 100% soaked. Walking from there to Chang Phuak was much better, and we dried out, had a meal then tried to return at about 10pm. I wanted to cut through the city centre, but gf wanted to take a songtaew...(recipe for disaster). The behaviour of young farang was appalling.... water guns that'd take your skin off full in the face... etc etc. At that point, I was of the opinion that one could take Songkran and..... and as for the next idiot who blasted me from a metre away, he/she would be in serious danger of colonic irrigation with their own toy.

Yesterday changed my impression of Songkran, as we (theblether, my gf, another friend who stays in our hotel and I) went out intending to meet another member who lives in CM. However, due to what initially seemed to be a SNAFU we wound up walking along Huai Kaeo Road, amid all the revellers. The atmosphere was amazing, and we ended up in a wee bar that tb chose, outside which, the thai families allowed us to join in their fun. There was a gaggle of wee kiddies (5/6/7 years old) who were amazing, and they really made my day with their antics, smiles and big dark eyes full of mischief. There was none of the cr@p behaviour from the young farang that I griped about previously. It was pure fun, with big smiles, laughter and warmth (except for the ice-water w00t.gif ).

I'll never see all those thai people again, but to them, I give thanks for a memorable day.

Rob has now donned his waterproofs, ready for the deluge of ice-water posts from the nay-sayers.... tongue.png

• Like 2

Enjoy!

So you think it's just fine and dandy to have ice-water thrown into your face at 40mph on a motorbike on Koh Chang's already dangerously narrow and twisty,hilly roads,do you?Do you think the same tourists would do this to someone in their home country?

Of course they wouldn't as they know what the consequences are,just leave your brain at immigration and collect it on the way home,TiT!

• Like 1

The problem with Songkran is that there is now way to opt out. I think it is past time that there was some type of indicator recognized as a 'don't get me wet' symbol. perhaps a brightly colored ribbon or something.

There are situations where people really need to be left alone. One example is, this week my wife is in Chiang Rai and she needs to go to the ICU 3 times daily to visit our son. She is staying with a friend, but all she has is a motorcycle to get back and forth. I am back home with the truck and the other kids. She would really prefer to get to the hospital dry, but it is not an option.

Another example is from last year when we were taking a boy with a serious head injury to the hospital. He was in the back of our truck and we had to get through a whole town lined with water tossers to get him to emergency. Once again it would have been nice to have a way to be allowed to go through unmolested.

• Like 2

i imagine how nice if i had a gun at that time just show him off. He didn't care whoever was in that bus and i saw this two Muslim girls head covered and looks like they were dressed up to somewhere and they were showered so one guy came down from the bus and gave a long stare at them from a distance but he couldn't have slap those guy by himself. I really wished that if he had a gun, i would love to see him shot one of their hands or legs as a warning to others Songkran was not created just for you to splash water at anyone

Jcaligula, are you mental ?

He sounds like a barrel of laughs, maybe best off sticking to Nana Nua!

Went out in Khon Kaen last night, just for a few beer.

Went as late as possible, to avoid most of the chaos.

Unfortunately the bar I went to was filled with foreigners spraying each other.

Lots of water on the pool tables as well.

The staff were a bit stressed out for a while, trying to wipe floors, furniture and pool tables.

I was thinking, there must be, and it was, plenty of collateral damage with innocent bystanders being caught in the middle, as these 50-60 year old kids ran around inside the bar.

Started to wonder, if I get caught and sprayed with water by an accident, it must surely be ok for me to put the thumb over the bottle, shake it, and then spray the beer in his face.

No?

After all, it is the only thing handy.

I decided to watch and act like it was a social study, while sipping to my cold beer.