My First Songkran

chrisfwilson

Both are the biggest festivals of the year in their respective cultures and both have people, like me, who participate for the fun and,

apparently do not understand the reasons behind the event - a simple but obvious similarity methinks.

Having been married to a Thai lady for nearly 20 years and having taught in a Thai school, where

they are heavy on Thai culture, I think I know more than the average joe about these events.

The fact that I like to have some fun now and then..well excuse me smile.png

I was invited to partake in water throwing by my students, some teachers and my son, and it was a great few days of just that.

If you feel the urge to go play with the rest of the drunk hello kitty party then by all means :)

Just trying to make this a religious issue is just absurd and making a comparison between this and Christmas is even worse.

No one is saying that one religion or culture is better than the oter, but you truly do not understand the value of Song Kran if you think running out with a water gun after a few beers, is respecting Thai culture. Then my friend you are seriously delusional.

In the old days it meant something, today it has lost its meaning.

While I agree that Christmas has been over-commercialized, it still holds its true core values and is practices more or less by many familes even Thais. :)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well those of you complaining about people throwing water at you on your bike, should be lucky you didn't do what I did on my first visit to Thailand. I rented a motorbike in Phuket and was on my way to meet a girl in Phuket Town. Unfortunately, it was the time of the Vegetarian festival where there is a procession of people in trance. It so happens that they also throw firecrackers at these tranced out people. And I was riding my motorcy in the middle of it having firecrackers and other fireworks thrown at me. THAT was a bit uncomfortable.

Both are the biggest festivals of the year in their respective cultures and both have people, like me, who participate for the fun and,

apparently do not understand the reasons behind the event - a simple but obvious similarity methinks.

Having been married to a Thai lady for nearly 20 years and having taught in a Thai school, where

they are heavy on Thai culture, I think I know more than the average joe about these events.

I was invited to partake in water throwing by my students, some teachers and my son, and it was a great few days of just that.

If you feel the urge to go play with the rest of the drunk hello kitty party then by all means smile.png

Just trying to make this a religious issue is just absurd and making a comparison between this and Christmas is even worse.

No one is saying that one religion or culture is better than the oter, but you truly do not understand the value of Song Kran if you think running out with a water gun after a few beers, is respecting Thai culture. Then my friend you are seriously delusional.

While I agree that Christmas has been over-commercialized, it still holds its true core values and is practices more or less by many familes even Thais. smile.png

Let it rest, hey :)

If you feel the urge to go play with the rest of the drunk hello kitty party then by all means smile.png

While I agree that Christmas has been over-commercialized, it still holds its true core values and is practices more or less by many familes even Thais. smile.png

Let it rest, hey smile.png

Oh yeah, now you say it... coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Let it rest, hey smile.png

Oh yeah, now you say it... coffee1.gif

Or post before 5 to midnite and move it to my xmas thread - good lad smile.png

ps I never mentioned being drunk when chucking water, and I took part in an official School activity - even says so in my contract - as part of taking part in School/Thai Culture activities, it even has it's own sub-section. I tried explaining to them that TV'ers did not agree that the water chucking was part of Thai culture but they just wouldn't have it wink.png

Edited by chonabot

@chonabot

-Or post before 5 to midnite and move it to my xmas thread - good lad smile.png

ps
I never mentioned being drunk when chucking water, and I took part in an official School activity - even says so in my contract - as part of
taking part in School/Thai Culture activities, it even has it's own sub-section. I tried explaining to them that TV'ers did not agree that
the water chucking was part of Thai culture but they just wouldn't have it wink.png

Well, we can all agree to disagree, the water was supposed to be poured and I seriously doubt that you could do that with a water gun. biggrin.png But if you
have kids, I can understand one would want to embrace this once a year. Kids are innocent, adults are not.

I´ve met westerners who think its custom to drink on Christmas eve. Not that I´m a religious nut but I think it has more meaning to it than that and being
drunk... ain´t one of them. :)

I could say that the same could go for Song Kran, but if it's for the kids, I totally understand buddy. :)

• Like 1