Just Curious About Where To Fill Up Diesel Or Petrol At Lowest Price In Cm?

jiangaq

There is very little difference. There used to be non-brand gas stations that were a bit cheaper, but pretty much all of those either got squeezed out during the last oil/fuel price boom, or now charge nearly the same as all the other gas stations.

The one way to get to a reduction in fuel costs (if you go long distances a lot) would be to look at CNG/LPG conversions.

Drove up from Ubon yesterday and there is hardly 0.5B difference across that region. You might find it costs slightly more on the highway to Lampang just leaving town. More a case of which brand your prefer or trust.

Interesting question in respect of the fact that I have never had any idea how much fuel costs here. I tend to use the same 2 or 3 providers in my location.

I have to have the fuel to get about so normally it's simply fill it up and pass over the cash. I guess I pass over somewhat more cash to fill up now than I did when I arrived but that would be as expected.

Seems I have to spell it out more clearly than I did in my first post.If it is significant cheaper,the reason could be,that what you pay for is not what you get! Some years ago,it was found out,that some stations mixed the fuel with something else,don`t remember what.I used to buy at the cheapest and got big problem with the motor.

• 1 month later...

Assuming the petrol/diesel prices are all the same, which station gives the most freebies?

E.g. a small bottle of water for every 400 baht (Esso - Nong Hoi), large bottle for every 1000 baht (else where).

Any station offering a free car wash for a full tank of petrol?

Cheers!

Just love the money saving threads and that’s because I can pass on my cheap Charlie tips to you all.

So; filling stations how to make you money go further.

1. Only fill up your car or bike during early morning, when the ground temperature is still cold.
Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks underground. The colder the ground, the more dense the fuel. When it gets warmer, petrol expands. So, buying in the afternoon or in the evening, your litre is not exactly a litre.In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature play an important role. A 1 degree rise in temperature is a big money spinner for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

2..When you are filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode.
If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages; low, middle and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes into your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

3.One of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is HALF FULL.
The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in you tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

4. If there is a fuel truck pumping into storage tanks when you stop to buy, DO NOT FILL UP.
Most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered and you might pick up some dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Remember to always fill up when the tank shows 'half'. Always fill up in the
Early morning. Always fill up in slow mode.

Economy is not all about the price you pay but also the way you manage your resources.

• Like 1

1. Only fill up your car or bike during early morning, when the ground temperature is still cold.

Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks underground. The colder the ground, the more dense the fuel. When it gets warmer, petrol expands. So, buying in the afternoon or in the evening, your litre is not exactly a litre.In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature play an important role. A 1 degree rise in temperature is a big money spinner for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

2..When you are filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode.

If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages; low, middle and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes into your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

3.One of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is HALF FULL.

The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in you tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

4. If there is a fuel truck pumping into storage tanks when you stop to buy, DO NOT FILL UP.

Most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered and you might pick up some dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Remember to always fill up when the tank shows 'half'. Always fill up in the

Early morning. Always fill up in slow mode.

Economy is not all about the price you pay but also the way you manage your resources.

Excellent tips.

For gasoline users, I would add this one:

Stick to the higher-quality Benzene. Avoid gasohol, as its ethanol content absorbs a minimum of 4-5% H2O exposed to the atmosphere, and this water may accumulate in your fuel tank.

Has there been any analysis published to determine the true ethanol content and water contaminant levels in local fuels? I have a feeling that Thai E10 and E20 fuels on average may have more than the advertised 10 & 20% ethanol content.

Edited by Jose

Looking further into it, it turns out the gas station tank ground temperature issue is not exactly trivial.

The volumetric coefficient of expansion in Benzene is 0.00125 (1/°C).
Given a morning-afternoon ground temperature increase of say, 16°C, this equates to a gasoline volume difference of 2%.
For a typical 50 litre tank, this morning-evening difference equates to 1 litre per fill-up. Multiply by 50 gas station visits a year, and that's around a 2500 Baht/year difference.

Now imagine the above calculation with ground temperature differences of 30-40°C under a hot sun...

• Like 1

The further you get from BKK, the higher the price gets, but most stations in CM are within a 10 SATANG difference, so go for the newest and cleanest stations as their storage tanks should be the newest and cleanest.

Thanks for the 'early morning tip' eyecatcher...........

Looking further into it, it turns out the gas station tank ground temperature issue is not exactly trivial.

The volumetric coefficient of expansion in Benzene is 0.00125 (1/°C).

Given a morning-afternoon ground temperature increase of say, 16°C, this equates to a gasoline volume difference of 2%.

For a typical 50 litre tank, this morning-evening difference equates to 1 litre per fill-up. Multiply by 50 gas station visits a year, and that's around a 2500 Baht/year difference.

Now imagine the above calculation with ground temperature differences of 30-40°C under a hot sun...

Urban myth. The tank is underground and temperatures down there will NOT vary like air temperatures. I doubt if the temps vary more than a degree or two.

Tell me that air conditioning in the car costs more than opening the windows, that's always good for a laugh...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

The volumetric coefficient of expansion of Benzene is 0.00125 (1/°C).

Urban myth. The tank is underground and temperatures down there will NOT vary like air temperatures. I doubt if the temps vary more than a degree or two.

Tell me that air conditioning in the car costs more than opening the windows, that's always good for a laugh...

"Urban myth" is easily proved or disproved by touching the metal side of the gasoline nozzle while it's pumping fuel. If it feels cool to the touch, then myth busted - but if it feels as warm as the ambient air temperature, then the expanded fuel volume theory stands.