Chaotic But Fun As Pattaya Celebrates The Songkran Festival

Rimmer

Chaotic but FUN as Pattaya celebrates the Songkran Festival

songkran-1.jpg
PATTAYA:--For some it is considered a day to avoid, for others it is a day where the thought of venturing out is non-existent, but for thousands of others it’s a day to converge on Pattaya to celebrate the Thai New Year, also known as the Songkran or Water Festival.

The 2013 Pattaya Songkran Festival was one of the liveliest seen in years with many partying into the night, a time when in previous years the streets would empty as revelers return to their homes or hotels after spending the entire day being part of one of the largest water fights in the World.

The main Sukhumvit Road was bumper-to-bumper as pick-up trucks containing barrels of water and passengers slowly navigated through the streets. Pattaya Beach Road was closed to traffic and a real party atmosphere was present with the majority of those in attendance there to simply have a good time

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/83876/chaotic-fun-pattaya-celebrates-songkran-festival/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-04-20

I took part in Songkran for the first time this year. Started at 1PM and finished right around dark. What a fantastic time. Most were very polite with the water pistols, some were not. But not really bad.

Things started to get out of hand after dark, so we quit. Left Beach road in our car about 8:30 or so and it was mayhem on Suk. I've never seen so many drunk scooter drivers wearing no helmets. Where were the police??? Not one in sight and traffic was a mess. Several accidents.

I do feel sorry for those living near beach road. But for a visitor, yesterday was great fun.

• Like 2

As a self-proclaimed assistant of the National Police, I tried to find several other supporters who want to uphold the law in Thailand. I suggested that we would confiscate ALL pick-up trucks with water throwing people on it. If successful, I was going to be an overnight billionaire with thousands of pick-up trucks in my garage.

Apart from the fact, that I don't have a garage, it will be no surprise to anyone, that I was unsuccessful in my attempt to confiscate ANY pick-up trucksad.png

This is also the last time that I will try to uphold the Thai lawstongue.png

Why make laws if you can not enforce them?!? (rhetorical question whistling.gif )

All in all, I had a great SongKran (shooting people in the pick-ups onlygiggle.gif )

• Like 1

Well should say my part of SongKang...so on Now Goes kaios Revailing and non-logical Gathering!

I enjoyed half a day at FairTex Sports club..the morning chased a truck for my girlfriend to join in throwing water...went to Tesco shopping and got good bargins as the store was empty and lots of expired goods at half price.

This morning I was playing doctor..not that type of doctor..but had to address the wonds suffered from her activities..cuts mostly, already infected! I myself had a shower on my return and washed all clothing...all in all did enjoy the time out...FYI I take the back roads to get to FairTex from Nakula..glad it is over and looking forward to returning to cooler temperatures in Canada...best to you...Mr. Ron

cheesy.gif

Rules in Thailand are only made having the population something to disobey, irresponsible humans can't follow even the slightest rule due to misinterpret haughtiness, with self-esteem, which is in their eyes the right and freedom to harass others.wai2.gif

Someone needs to increase the roughage in his diet.

What amazes me most is that most people who choose to live in Thailand are seeking freedom from the overly regulated, overly intrusive, morally oppressive world found in most western countries, but then once settled in they want more regulation, more government intrusion and a strict code of (supposed) morality that would seem restrictive in some nunnery.

I guess seeing other people have fun just enrages certain personalities.

I seriously doubt MOST people who moved here did so to avoid rules and regulations. Of all the people I know, none are in this category.

"...did so to avoid rules and regulations."

Not what I said.

"Of all the people I know,none are in this category."

I doubt you're making the point you think you are, although it does demonstrate that some people looked at Thailand with rose-coloured spectacles before they decided to come here and now they're suffering from up-tight-itude to the point of stressing themselves out.

Edited by Suradit69

I filmed it all in Pattaya and it was no hassle, no problems, no fights and an excellent 24 hours on Friday. There were stages with different music styles from Issarn, mambo, Salsa and everyone was dancing, even a little baby boy with his older sister (I presume). Just an excellent time was had by all. As to following the dumb-ass rules the media reported - never even got started. No-one wore helmets, pickups were full of people getting well plastered and plenty of water was being thrown. Even the B.i.B. were soaked and had their own water guns 'fighting' back.

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

Rules in Thailand are only made having the population something to disobey, irresponsible humans can't follow even the slightest rule due to misinterpret haughtiness, with self-esteem, which is in their eyes the right and freedom to harass others.wai2.gif

What amazes me most is that most people who choose to live in Thailand are seeking freedom from the overly regulated, overly intrusive, morally oppressive world found in most western countries, but then once settled in they want more regulation, more government intrusion and a strict code of (supposed) morality that would seem restrictive in some nunnery.

Well it isn't like the country was particularly short of rules and regulations...... nor government involvment in a few sectors that they shouldn't be.

I suppose the fact that they are rarely or selectively enforced is more of a complaint.....

Thank heavens.....

I took part in Songkran for the first time this year. Started at 1PM and finished right around dark. What a fantastic time. Most were very polite with the water pistols, some were not. But not really bad.

Things started to get out of hand after dark, so we quit. Left Beach road in our car about 8:30 or so and it was mayhem on Suk. I've never seen so many drunk scooter drivers wearing no helmets. Where were the police??? Not one in sight and traffic was a mess. Several accidents.

I do feel sorry for those living near beach road. But for a visitor, yesterday was great fun.

Actually, look at the map. No police presence planned for Sukhumvit.

police-4.jpg

the police were at the morgue counting the bodies, or drinking coffee in their tents . do you think they would drive on the road ?

cheesy.gif

Thank you. I have been saying this for years...."if all of this freedom bothers you so much, go back home!!"

another one saying "go back home"

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

Thank you. I have been saying this for years...."if all of this freedom bothers you so much, go back home!!"

another one saying "go back home"

fair comment from DougF. What is the alternative in reality? Stay here and bitch and whine? You know it does no good. Your life - your choices

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

I seriously doubt MOST people who moved here did so to avoid rules and regulations. Of all the people I know, none are in this category.

Not what I said.

I doubt you're making the point you think you are, although it does demonstrate that some people looked at Thailand with rose-coloured spectacles before they decided to come here and now they're suffering from up-tight-itude to the point of stressing themselves out.

What a storm in a teacup !

Enjoy Thailand while we all can, for in a few decades we all are going to kick the bucket.

cheesy.gif

Not what I said.

Wrong - in consecutive posts.

Nothing about more regulation or government intervention - simple and consistent application of rules that are already there would be quite sufficient.

I can understand that there are people who enjoy flagrant disregard for laws, and disrespect for other individuals - maybe they are the ones you know who have come to Thailand ?

I'm just delighted that at worst I now have at least 355 consecutive Songkran-free days to look forward to. And next year I intend to be in another country for the entire duration of the holiday, which will be even better.

Siem Reap, Cambodia was nice this year - and dry smile.png

Edited by cardholder

Siem Reap, Cambodia was nice this year - and dry

Indeed. There are lots of dry countries to choose from, though I have to say that I didnt actually get wet here at all this Songkran largely because I was very careful about when and where I went out on foot.

What really gets me about Songkran here is the way that it drags on for more than a week and causes much of the town to shut up shop for the duration. As someone who generally eats out twice a day I find this very inconvenient. That and the traffic congestion and the noise of the celebrations on the actual day.

• Like 1

I didn't find it much fun riding my motorbike on the 17th (not a Songkran day) along the Pattaya railway road. I noticed some people at the side of the road splashing water at each other. But as I passed one of them threw a bucket full at me. Most of it hit me knocking me towards the center of the road. I turned my head and saw the front bumper of a car inches away from my rear wheel. I then heard it sound its horn. I quickly pulled back to the nearside. Having narrowly escaped serious injury or even death I pulled over to a stop. I then shouted a few profanities and raised my finger at the, what I can only call an idiot, who attempted to, because I could have died, murder me. The idiot then offered me physical violence unless I <deleted>**ed off. I left.

So fun for some but near death for me.

• Like 1