Penang Visa Run

Hi All,

I did ask a little back here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/623022-cheapest-quickest-way-to-leave-chiang-mai-for-double-entry-tourist-visa/#entry6179875 about the cheapest way of making a Visa Run. When I meant the "cheapest" I was referring to the current cash availability. So here my experience.

So I did a Visa Run to Penang and felt that this was in deed cheap compared to Laos. I didn't find any train directly to Butterworth (all full) so I took it to Hatjay (1'310 THB, 1st class). From there I managed a minibus (400 THB, they seems to have raised the fees by 100) that brought me right to Penang in front of the Hotel. Met Jim the same day late afternoon, gave him 1'000 THB for Visa and 400 for his services. 24 hrs after giving him money and papers I had my PP + Visa (2 months single entry) back. Needed to stay one more night to catch the train back (1'250 THB, 2nd class sleeper).

So, for about 4'000 THB (excl Hotel and other private costs) I mad this Visa Run. Can anyone match this?

Well, no one really uses Penang anymore so it has ceased to become the go to visa shop.

I could have done the same trip cheaper by not going 1st class or paying Jim 40% for his services.

You made no mention of your transport costs other than minivan, no food nor gh in either Penang or Hatyai.

If you did not stay in HY then you were supreme-ly lucky to not only catch the train, but to get a sleeper.

Fan sleeper to HY and mv to Penang. Book 225b room, next day off to cons by bus, walk back. Repeat next day. Grab the visa and walk back. 2nts Penang. Early mv to HY and train north, no overnight.

Years early I used to use Pavarez (sp - sorry been so long). Id pu the visa and grab mv to HY gunning for train station but almost always miss the train. So thats b200 in HY for overnight plus food.

You have the right attitude, but you have a lot more money you can shave off the runner.

Well, no one really uses Penang anymore so it has ceased to become the go to visa shop.

I could have done the same trip cheaper by not going 1st class or paying Jim 40% for his services.

Penang seems coming again.

1st class was the only available -- all was booked out

Any other options then Jim's 40%? listening now.

You made no mention of your transport costs other than minivan, no food nor gh in either Penang or Hatyai.

If you did not stay in HY then you were supreme-ly lucky to not only catch the train, but to get a sleeper.

Of course I did. Look at the train costs in brackets.

Arrived in Hadyai early morning by train, took the Minivan at 12 noon and arrived in Penang by 6 pm

Food depends on your liking

Hotels you can get anything from 300 THB to 3000 THB, from Fan to AC, simple to comfortable and luxurious. A lot of options.

You have the right attitude, but you have a lot more money you can shave off the runner.

As mentioned above, 1st class was the only option for that day. The difference to 2nd class was about 100 THB (to Hadyai).

Assume this was from Bangkok.

I think a 2nd class sleeper to Nong Kai and then on to Vientiane would of been cheaper even with Lao visa cost plus the trip is shorter.

Yes you assume right. Time was not an option I considered. Costs - Yes!

Train BKK - Nong Khai one way 2nd 1'800 THB

Train Bkk - Butterworth one way 2nd 1'250 THB

And the Laos trip involves a lot of small costs here and there that can't be seeing right away - e.g. Taxi, Tuck-Tuck to boarder, then Bus, Taxi to City etc.

Now you have a train from BKK to Vientianne but it stops about 15 km before the city on Lao soil. The last 15 km will cost you a fortune. Make it all x2 as you intend to go back home.

I calculated that the Laos trip would come to about 2x more expensive.

BTW the fees for Jim was not higher as the fees for an Agent in Laos.

Your fares are totally wrong - 1,800 baht is the full room rate for 1st class train to Nong Khai (if you buy both beds).

2nds class fare is 688/758 or 658/708 depending on carriage.

http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/ChackPrice_TrainGo.asp?Sta=%A1%C3%D8%A7%E0%B7%BE&Fin=%CB%B9%CD%A7%A4%D2%C2&IdTrain=69&NFee=%B4%E8%C7%B9&Ori=Bangkok&Dep=Nong%20Khai&lenguage=eng

Your fares are totally wrong - 1,800 baht is the full room rate for 1st class train to Nong Khai (if you buy both beds).

2nds class fare is 688/758 or 658/708 depending on carriage.

http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/ChackPrice_TrainGo.asp?Sta=%A1%C3%D8%A7%E0%B7%BE&Fin=%CB%B9%CD%A7%A4%D2%C2&IdTrain=69&NFee=%B4%E8%C7%B9&Ori=Bangkok&Dep=Nong%20Khai&lenguage=eng

Thank you for correcting me on this (y)

Thanks Lop - I knew that was crazy low. Last time I bought a 2nd class ac was about 1100 but I wasnt going to bother. Fan sleeper if you can even get one is like...900.

Nong Khai tran is 2k thb?! Not only do you need to get your number straight, dont even come here trying to boast a cheap visa run traveling first class bwahahaa ☺

Wait, stop halt everything...you excluded your hotel!!?? I did not notice prior. What sort of breakdown is this?

All this is incorrect price on trains and your visa costs! This is not in any way representative of cost items of a visa run. Done done and done.

You did not include transport, your costs to/ftom train station. Did you get the mv outside the train station (presume) or out at the bus station?

Alternative to Jim - <deleted>? Doing it yourself!! Pavarez was so cheap even I stopped bothering doing it myself. Then it all changed and it was best diy. But whatever. DIY is cost of bus fare out to cons 2x and walking back. That is cheaper!

Food. No, that is bs. Food costs are not "depends on your liking". If you ate 8 cups of Mama, those are your costs. Whatever it is it needs to be added in! I even add in my alcohol costs.

Lao or Penang...its about a wash. Transport to Penang is way more but visa is free and gh room cheap. Extra day in HY even b200 at my cheapie. Lao...35usd and for the losers that pay in thb, 1500. Then you have gh at 450 minimum and food in Vientiane is not cheap but I guess you could exist on sandwiches. Now, I always walk to embassy but I am the only person I know that does so. Add that huge ripoff charge as well as guys that still get rippped off coming and going on the border.

In the end - it doesnt matter which is cheaper, it matters who will give you a visa.

You scored a single for all.that work and 400b service. Meh...

I have never seen anyone post info here showing their visa run or border runs being cheaper or even equal to mine. Ive been doing this for a loooooong time. You lost before you started with the first class bogey.

Finally, you cant say - for about b4000! What is that really for you 4890? Give us the number down to a 100baht! If you tbink Im crazy, look at my posts on my visa run costs and if I said about 6000 for Lao or whatever, bank on it that it easily within 100b+ of that.

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 1

Transport from your place to train station

Cost of train

Price for food, water at minimum

Transport to Penang

Hotel

Visa and visa service

Transport assoc with visa if any

Hotel

Food, water, beer, everything

Transport to HY

(Hotel)

Train to bkk

Food, water, etc...

Transport back to your pad

Any time-killing cheap activity should be included as well

Thank you

PS without putting pen to paper, Im inclined to agree with Joe, I think I could do Vientiane chesper.

You can take the fan sleeper if they are running in the cooler months. Now, not so much.

30 to station

725 train

30 samlor to border

50 into Vientiane

450 hotel (bloody poor value here!)

120 food

120 beer

1000 visa

450 hotel

150 food

120 beer

50 to border

725 train

10 shower

100 two Leo waiting for train

30 back to apt

+40 r/t friendship bridge

+150 whisky on train

+35usd visa

If youb dont see tuktuk and other costs its because I walk and yes, I walk back from the border to the train station and walk to the embassy and return. I make my own fresh coffee in my room as well.

Edited by bangkokburning

@bangkokburning

If you read carefully I mentioned the prices of train. Also I mentioned that 1st class was the only available, also I mentioned that I took the train back to BKK starting Butterworth, also I mentioned that I didn't sleep in HY, also I mentioned that Hotels are anywhere from 300 - 3000 THB.

As I have being looking for doing a cheap VR, you can assume that I didn't take a Hotel worth 3000 tb but rather 300. If you live on Sandwiches it's your own liking, I go for good but low cost local food. Ok, I didn't mention the Indian food stall that is open 24/7. You can eat well for 100 tb. or a bit less if you omit meat. You like beer? Ok go for it - your cost will raise quickly.

If you can do it cheaper - good for you. I try to keep the balance of low cost but still living. The about 4'000 THB was accurate to 100 THB. And also I mentioned what items where excluded from it as those excluded items can drastically change the total amount spent depending "on your liking" or "on your quality of life you like to maintain". Thanks for posting your suggestions.

If youb dont see tuktuk and other costs its because I walk and yes, I walk back from the border to the train station

If you have not seeing further cost of local transportation it is because I am walking too wink.png

I make my own fresh coffee in my room as well.

I do this also - at home

A person might want to do the cost for a Penang visa run time 2 when comparing to a trip to Vientiane because you can get 2 entry tourist visas there verses only a single for Penang.

Edited by ubonjoe

my god, are there that many people out there that want to do everything the cheapest??

Lets do a most expensive visa run.

Hmmm fly first class Bangkok to New York or SF, stay at a $1,000/night hotel

drink fine wine , eat great food,

call in service for ladies

Private driver everywhere

Sent passport off by courier

Come back to Thailand

total cost //////////

A person might want to do the cost for a Penang visa run time 2 when comparing to a trip to Vientiane because you can get 2 entry tourist visas there verses only a single for Penang.

Wouldn't Phnom Penh be cheaper?

Walk to train station

Bangkok to Aran 50 baht by train x 2= 100 baht

tuk tuk boarder 50 baht x 2 100 baht

Visa $20

walk to bus station

bus to PP$12 x 2 + $24

room in PP $5/night x4 $20

food /day $10 x4= $40

biggrin.png

Or direct bus Bangkok -PP http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easier-stuff/337216/bangkok-cambodia-buses-launched

900 baht each way

i know an mentioned that still comes out cheaper

food /day $10 x4= $40

You will not find a room in Laos or Penang for $5 but easy in Phnom Penh and u can eat even cheaper than $10/day if u really wanted to.

agent will run u $15-20 if u want it next day

so cheaper again

So, for about 4'000 THB (excl Hotel and other private costs)

bus both ways 1,800 baht excluding hotels and other costs

Edited by phuketrichard

my god, are there that many people out there that want to do everything the cheapest??

Lets do a most expensive visa run.

Hmmm fly first class Bangkok to New York or SF, stay at a $1,000/night hotel

drink fine wine , eat great food,

call in service for ladies

Private driver everywhere

Sent passport off by courier

Come back to Thailand

total cost //////////

LOL - that would sure be an experience (y)

Yes you are right and I did think of that part. I like it sometimes to just do things another way ;)

Well I would not squeeze to to point where it's not going anymore and eating sandwiches all day long. But it's fun to go simple from time to time. And in my case I had a reason to see Penang.

Walk to train station

Bangkok to Aran 50 baht by train x 2= 100 baht

tuk tuk boarder 50 baht x 2 100 baht

Visa $20

walk to bus station

bus to PP$12 x 2 + $24

food /day $10 x4= $40

biggrin.png

Or direct bus Bangkok -PP http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easier-stuff/337216/bangkok-cambodia-buses-launched

900 baht each way

Did you do the PP VR? Are you getting 60 days (1'000 THB) + 30 days/1 re-entry (1'900 THB) like in Laos?

Indeed that would give me a reason to see PP.

i know an mentioned that still comes out cheaper

food /day $10 x4= $40

You will not find a room in Laos or Penang for $5 but easy in Phnom Penh and u can eat even cheaper than $10/day if u really wanted to.

agent will run u $15-20 if u want it next day

so cheaper again

So, for about 4'000 THB (excl Hotel and other private costs)

bus both ways 1,800 baht excluding hotels and other costs

Hotel:

Q: Fan or Air for 5$?

Food:

Q: I heard food is not as good as in Thailand. Any comments?

Agent:

Q: Any recommendations (e.g. name etc.)?

Bus:

Q: can you recommend a Safe travel agent?

Visa:

Q: would it be possible in getting 60 days (1'000 THB) + 30 days/1 re-entry (1'900 THB)? Any experiences?

Thanks for this tip!

Just reminded me, going to Cambodia would add the cost for an entry Visa (30-day visa issued upon arrival for USD 20/USD 25) - in Malaysia it is free for 90 days.

Currency: Is it correct that in Cambodia all can be (even is recommended to) paid in US$?

i go back and forth to Cambodia 3-4 times./year but not for visas.

For $5/night, what do u expect fan of course although air can be had for around $10, Where i stay its $15 for an air con room street 172, wifi, great tv and big room.

Food: Cambodia food is not as good as thai but u can get thai food for the same price as Thailand AND u can get very good western food for $2-5/dish. Some of the best pizza i have had in Asia is in the Blue Dolphin in PP, $4.50 for a med size deep dish big enough for 2

Plenty of agents and most hotels will do it for u.

$5 for 3 days, 10 for 2 and $15 for next day or do it urself, turn in Monday morn pick up Thursday

Bus:??

the bus runs out of Morchit station in Bangkok ( follow link) so its the Thai company

Visa:

Q: would it be possible in getting 60 days (1'000 THB) + 30 days/1 re-entry (1'900 THB)?

Yes, no problem as that what my Cambodia gf used do until she got a job an now has a 1 year visa

Everything is in $$ an atm's give u those

PP for 3 days would be fine and u can live cheap and comfortable if that is ur choice

PLUS drinking is 1/3rd the price in Bars ( Happy hour $.50 drafts and $1 cans of Beer Lao) :-)

a brief sample of Phnom Penh

Edited by phuketrichard

i go back and forth to Cambodia 3-4 times./year but not for visas.

For $5/night, what do u expect fan of course although air can be had for around $10, Where i stay its $15 for an air con room street 172, wifi, great tv and big room.

Food: Cambodia food is not as good as thai but u can get thai food for the same price as Thailand AND u can get very good western food for $2-5/dish. Some of the best pizza i have had in Asia is in the Blue Dolphin in PP, $4.50 for a med size deep dish big enough for 2

Plenty of agents and most hotels will do it for u.

$5 for 3 days, 10 for 2 and $15 for next day or do it urself, turn in Monday morn pick up Thursday

Bus:??

the bus runs out of Morchit station in Bangkok ( follow link) so its the Thai company

Visa:

Q: would it be possible in getting 60 days (1'000 THB) + 30 days/1 re-entry (1'900 THB)?

Yes, no problem as that what my Cambodia gf used do until she got a job an now has a 1 year visa

Everything is in $$ an atm's give u those

PP for 3 days would be fine and u can live cheap and comfortable if that is ur choice

PLUS drinking is 1/3rd the price in Bars ( Happy hour $.50 drafts and $1 cans of Beer Lao) :-)

a brief sample of Phnom Penh

@puketrichard

Many thanks for this detailed overview of costs and opportunities. I long for the pizza - sound really good.

Just One question to your reply. When was this (year?) that your gf made VR in PP?

Otherwise, very helpful - thanks.

I am a newbie here in Thailand - putting aside costs for a minute, how likely is it that a Penang (or Lao or PP etc) visa run will be successful? I have heard stories of people leaving Thailand on a visa run and then not getting it, thereby forcing them to go back home. I love this place and would like to stay for 6-12 months and am looking for the most successful way to do this. Thanks - I appreciate your response/suggestions!!!

Penang normally only refuses issuance of visa if you have several visas from them already.

So if this is the first then you should have no problem.

For the amount of time you wish to stay here I suggest you make a trip to Vientiane for a 2 entry tourist visa (Penang is only single entry) which would give you almost 6 months without needing to get a new visa.