Who Is Leaving Thailand Because Of Its Currency?

Did you, or do you intend to, leave Thailand because of the Baht Currency?  

316 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello there,

As today we only get 28 Thai Baht for 1 USD, and because I have a friend who lived here for a while and who will leave Thailand by the end of the month, and his main reason being the currency explosion (nothing else as he's retired and keep receiving the same amount of Euros each month), I was wondering if there was other people in similar situations, and if yes then where are you going now? Please reply with your destination!

My friend said, and I quote, "in early 2009 when I got here I had 55 000 bahts to spend each month" (equivalent to his 1000 euros pension) but now he only gets 35 000 bahts after the bank fees and conversion for the same amount in euro, and it doesn't seem to satisfy him as he had to move to another, cheaper residence last year, and he needs to be careful on what he spends, eat, drink, and it makes him feel like a poor sad.png

I'm really sad of this and I was wondering if there are other people in the same situation, please share your feeling and your plans.

It is not a political topic but a personal topic, how does it affect YOU, and if you're leaving Thailand then please let me know where in your replies wink.png

Edited by Annonymous

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish that I had a 35,000 baht per month to spend.

What a poor you are

Compared to what? A Thai? Nonsense.

A Westerner yes.

is "Ulysses G" a Thai national?

I mean.. come on... this is basic money, go work as a cleaner (the lowest paid position) in a McDonald restaurant anywhere in Europe and you'll earn a minimum of 1120€ (~1450 US$), this correspond to the French SMIC (minimal authorized salary for a 35-hours-per-week job), plus you'll have 5 weeks paid holidays per year... where you can come here spend all your earnings! isn't that SO GREAT!! xD

if you don't have 35k baht/month and you're not happy about it you should GO GET A JOB and you shouldn't stay here complaining or dreaming!

Edited by Annonymous

What a poor you are

A Westerner yes.

I mean.. come on... this is basic money, go work as a cleaner (the lowest paid position) in a McDonald restaurant anywhere in Europe and you'll earn a minimum of 1120€ (~1450 US$), this correspond to the French SMIC (minimal authorized salary for a 35-hours-per-week job), plus you'll have 5 weeks paid holidays per year... where you can come here spend all your earnings! isn't that SO GREAT!! xD

if you don't have 35k baht/month and you're not happy about it you should GO GET A JOB and you shouldn't stay here complaining or dreaming!

The irony is that Ulysses has a job biggrin.png

• Like 2

What a poor you are

A Westerner yes.

I guess there will be many very happy people in Europe, because they can look forward to a big pay raise.

What a poor you are

A Westerner yes.

Sound advice if you are of working age but a big problem for older retired expats living on a low income. I think that for many we are reaching the tipping point.

Edited by Rajab Al Zarahni
  • Like 1

And besides, a strong baht keeps the cost of imported petroleum products my car likes to eat and the imported foodstuffs I like to eat cheaper than they otherwise would be.

Really ? Have you any of them, oil or imported products, seen decreasing in price since the Dollar tanked 15% ?

By the way,oil has decreased more than 10% in dollar value as well.

• Like 2

I don't believe that many people would really stay at one baht to one dollar. 30 dollars for street noodles? Are you having a laugh?

In my case 25 to the dollar was something I saw as a worse case scenario. It's not a happy thing that it's getting there. I'm not making any moving plans yet but again this is not a happy thing.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Even when he was getting 55,000 a month, he was well under the 800,000 a year income requirement. At 35,000 per month, he's barely receiving 1/2 the amount the Thai government says you need to live here on a retirement visa. Sounds like you're friend is doing a self-deportation! In America, he'd be labeled an "illegal".

And besides, a strong baht keeps the cost of imported petroleum products my car likes to eat and the imported foodstuffs I like to eat cheaper than they otherwise would be.

Really ? Have you any of them, oil or imported products, seen decreasing in price since the Dollar tanked 15% ?

I don't really look at the prices...I buy whatever I want. I was making more of a theoretical statement...so even if they have not dropped (I'll take your word for that) they probably have not increased as much as they could have if the baht tanked.

Even when he was getting 55,000 a month, he was well under the 800,000 a year income requirement. At 35,000 per month, he's barely receiving 1/2 the amount the Thai government says you need to live here on a retirement visa. Sounds like you're friend is doing a self-deportation! In America, he'd be labeled an "illegal".

But not by the Associated Press...PC pricks that they are.

I don't really look at the prices...I buy whatever I want. I was making more of a theoretical statement...so even if they have not dropped (I'll take your word for that) they probably have not increased as much as they could have if the baht tanked.

Think you missed my last line. The oil price on the international market has decreased 10% in Dollar terms, the Dollar has decreased another 15% against the Baht. Yet the price of oil hasn't gonne down a single satang at the pump.

So don't hold your breath for any benefits if the Baht would rise further.

• Like 1

High prices are one thing but the madding crowds are another. I suspect that the latter will drive me away before the former, though it may be a close race.

'Far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife,

Their sober wishes never learn'd to stray;

Along the cool sequester'd vale of life

They kept the noiseless tenor of their way.'

Not sure about the "noiseless tenor of their way," but you might take heart if the worsening exchange rate drives the maddening crowd to other venues.

Regarding the survey, I intend to stay regardless of any realistic exchange rate, but since that option was not offered I chose the ridiculous choice that included Baht 1 = $1.

Maybe we should also have a survey asking if we should have daily threads bemoaning the exchange rate.

Edited by Suradit69

Rethinking this a bit, my condo is supposedly worth about 4 million baht. At one baht per dollar, that's 4 million dollars. Assuming, I could sell it, I would be out of here so fast!

But who would want to pay 4 million Dollars for a condo that is in reality worth 1 million Baht biggrin.png