Teaching Methods In Thailand Will Be Overhauled

webfact

Overhaul in teaching methods
Wannapa Khaopa
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Teaching methods in Thailand for science, technology and mathematics will be overhauled with the aim of upgrading students' knowledge and capability to meet international standards in 14 years, a top education official told the media yesterday.

Education in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) is part of a five-year strategic plan (2012-16) for the Institute for the Promotion of Teaching Science and Technology (IPST), said Professor Emeritus Montri Chulavatnatol, chairman of the IPST board.

"The STEM strategy will make huge changes in the teaching of these subjects, as the focus will be to get students to enjoy these subjects instead of learning by rote. Teachers will also be trained on improving their teaching methods.

"This way, both teachers and students will understand how to learn the subjects effectively and how to apply them in real life, as well as how they can use the subjects to create new innovations," Montri said.

He added that IPST aimed for Thai students' scores to reach international standards by 2027, especially in the Programme for International Students Assessment and Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study. It also wants the average scores in science and mathematics in the Ordinary National Educational Tests to rise by 4 per cent every year.

"STEM education will reach out to different educational institutions in every province. We plan to have STEM Halls of Fame, STEM Academies and iSTEM in every province.

The project will be officially launched in pilot provinces this year.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-24

• Like 1

I truly hope this works. If ASEAN actually becomes a working reality, very quickly the Thai public will realise how their childrens 'pieces of paper and obligatory photographs' are actually worthless against those of other ASEAN nations. The 20 years they spent in education will no longer guarantee them a job. While the well educated ASEAN nationals will walk into some of the jobs they expected to fill.

It seems to me that the general standard of maths here is atrocious. Today, I tried to do a relatively simple transaction of converting USD to Euro. It needed visits to 5 different currency exchanges, before somebody was able to do it. Two said no, cannot. Two wanted to convert the USD into baht, and then the baht into Euro i.e. 2 transactions. At the fifth exchange they did it really quickly and simply.

Makes one wonder about the level of training these poor people get, and also the standard of maths teaching in schools.

• Like 1

Well at least they are moving in the right direction, they are acknowledging the problem exists which is a good thing.

Yes.

Except they have been acknowledging that for at least 15 years. That's where it has always ended - the occasional acknowledgment and the stated resolution to fix it. (No kidding. Do a search for things like "education reform" in the archives of the English language press here, if you doubt it)

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

iSTEM......cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There just had to be an 'i' in there some where.

ohhh and anyone who's been here a few years has heard the different variations of the same theme.. But very little changes.

Edited by thaicbr

In the UK the quality of my maths and science education was very poor and I think it was generally recognised this operated across the board. One reason for this has it has always been very difficult to recruit top, even good maths and science graduates into teaching, because better opportunities are available in other fields. So no major surprises about the quality here in Thailand, and indeed if this low quality was restricted to science and maths, then it would be almost acceptable; however on the basis of four years teaching here in a small up country bilingual school and talking with other teachers, the education system sucks here. It doesn't appear to have any concern with helping children think, process and evaluate information or indeed use their brains: quite the opposite, methinks. This ASEAN business might finally give everyone here the big wake-up call.

In the UK the quality of my maths and science education was very poor and I think it was generally recognised this operated across the board. One reason for this has it has always been very difficult to recruit top, even good maths and science graduates into teaching, because better opportunities are available in other fields. So no major surprises about the quality here in Thailand, and indeed if this low quality was restricted to science and maths, then it would be almost acceptable; however on the basis of four years teaching here in a small up country bilingual school and talking with other teachers, the education system sucks here. It doesn't appear to have any concern with helping children think, process and evaluate information or indeed use their brains: quite the opposite, methinks. This ASEAN business might finally give everyone here the big wake-up call.

Actually I think the science and math is generally A LOT better here than the UK

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

14 years!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? In most countries it can be done in less than 4! Must be the amount of money that is being considered and whose pockets it will be going into.

You don't understand the extent of the problem here. 14 years is optimistic. I've taught 12 years and have seen a steady decline in performance and motivation of students over this time. To turn this around will be a mammoth task for all involved.

Nice to see they acknowledge that scores on international exams are important - just hope they realise have to drastically change the curriculum (a lot is out-dated), rewrite all textbooks and entrance exams (no more multiple choice), retrain teachers, and halve class sizes! Good luck with that...

That's correct. It seems the mentality here is make the work as hard as possible, and maybe the students will work harder. Just look at the silly PAT entrance exams. The country average in maths was 40 / 300. My best student got 140 - he got into medicine! What was the purpose of the other 50% of the questions on that exam??? And this exam s NOTHING like what is learned at school. I guess it doesn't matter - make it as hard as possible, then just pass the other failing students....yet from entrance exams we can see that most students have just guessed most of the answers (scores in the 20-30% range). If the work was more DOABLE, interesting and relevant, then maybe students would be more motivated to learn.