Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

While on the surface that may seem like the likely scenario however does Benitez coaching style suit the los blanks go for it at all costs mentality? If he goes, maybe he can drag Torres and Gerrard with him.

cant see torres going anyway, or rafa for that matter. i would welcome gerrards departure however, time to part ways imho.

If Torres goes anywhere he will go to Spain. We d'ont look like finishing 4th and he will be gone. Would'nt blame him either.

also there's no point in me bothering with friend sharecropper's posts. he's a bitter blue and has spent his entire adult life disappointed. arguing with him is like kicking a puppy.

^ StevieH, I preferred my own uncannily accurate draft reply:

^ It will say "leave Our Rafa alone, Bluenose. You don't know what you're talking about. He's still got us in the Europa Cup hasn't he? It's all just sour Blue grapes".

Signed The Peoples' Front of Judea.

Anyway look, you are powering in Europ(a) again.....

trophies are trophies. i'll be fuc_king made up if we're in another european final, whatever the competition. of course evertonians can but dream of such lofty adventures.

Well you should do this Year, Athletico behind the likes of Getafe, Bilbao & Mallorca in their League hovering around 10th or 11th, Hamburg 6th or 7th in the Bundesliga & been very dissapointing this Year & you'd fancy a one off Game against Fulham surely ??

Would 4th place not be more important to you though Chaps ( more important to the Club too ?? ), if you had the choice ??

Just curious ..

trophies are trophies. i'll be fuc_king made up if we're in another european final, whatever the competition. of course evertonians can but dream of such lofty adventures.

Well you should do this Year, Athletico behind the likes of Getafe, Bilbao & Mallorca in their League hovering around 10th or 11th, Hamburg 6th or 7th in the Bundesliga & been very dissapointing this Year & you'd fancy a one off Game against Fulham surely ??

Would 4th place not be more important to you though Chaps ( more important to the Club too ?? ), if you had the choice ??

Just curious ..

atletico have, quite bizarrely, only won one of their last fourteen european matches or something. and they're in the semis. aguero's suspended first leg too after getting booked for timewasting when being subbed off last night.

as a football fan trophies and finals are always far, far more important m. this importance in the modern era of finishing fourth purely to satisfy the accountants pisses me right off.

this importance in the modern era of finishing fourth purely to satisfy the accountants pisses me right off.

Whilst I am delighted to see you so wholeheartedly embrace the new Horizons of your once-great club, let me explain - you should want to finish fourth so you can qualify for the Champion's League. Forget the accountants.

Rafa guaranteed it as well. :)

Just curious ..

atletico have, quite bizarrely, only won one of their last fourteen european matches or something. and they're in the semis. aguero's suspended first leg too after getting booked for timewasting when being subbed off last night.

as a football fan trophies and finals are always far, far more important m. this importance in the modern era of finishing fourth purely to satisfy the accountants pisses me right off.

Yeah Mate bang on, UEFA Cup, League Cup, whatever, a Trophy's a Trophy..

I remember being in Metz when we won the Intertoto in 99, i was absolutely buzzing... :)

From the looks of Messrs Torres and Gerard they have a slightly different priority to Rafa. I can't see either of them being remotely happy with the europa if they don't qualify for CL.

It's been a while since i hung up my boots (right side midfield, not quite pace of Lennon), but neither would i. :)

this importance in the modern era of finishing fourth purely to satisfy the accountants pisses me right off.

Whilst I am delighted to see you so wholeheartedly embrace the new Horizons of your once-great club, let me explain - you should want to finish fourth so you can qualify for the Champion's League. Forget the accountants.

Rafa guaranteed it as well. :D

hahaha. only a bitter blue would write something like that.

evertonians are boss :)

Rafa guaranteed it as well. :D

hahaha. only a bitter blue would write something like that.

evertonians are boss :D

:)

Just curious ..

We will not finish 4th, and CL football is more important than anything else.

Just curious ..

yes, you wont, and no , its not

Welcome to our mid-table, underachieving, underperforming world lads.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we have learned to.....

:) 15 years without a trophy, must be painful.

amazing for a club like everton, however, if youse concentrated on yer football as much as you do on us, you would have won the treble by now.

Liverpool close to appointing British Airways high flier Martin Broughton as chairman

British Airways chairman Martin Broughton has entered final negotiations with Liverpool co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett to become the chairman of the club.

Source - Telegraph Telegraph Link

martin-broughton_1613434c.jpg

Flying the flag: Liverpool traget Martin Broughton became chairman of British Airways in July 2004 Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Telegraph Sport disclosed on Friday that Broughton had been sounded out about becoming independent non-executive chairman at Anfield, and he is understood to be close to accepting the post.

Broughton is thought to have discussed the terms of his contract and the responsibilities required with the Americans and may make a decision as soon as the weekend.

Hicks and Gillett are co-chairmen of Liverpool but want to step aside in favour of a credible British businessman to improve the club's standing in the financial community, and draw some of the sting from the supporters' criticism.

The move comes as the American owners continue to seek fresh investment to meet a demand from their banks, The Royal Bank of Scotland and Wachovia, that the club debt be reduced by £100 million from £237 million.

As well as chairing BA, Broughton is a former chairman of British American Tobacco and the Confederation of British Industry.

Alongside football his major sporting interest is racing and he was chairman of the British Horseracing Board for three years from 2004-2007.

If, as expected, he is confirmed in the post it will mark a significant development ahead of the bank refinancing deadline on June 31.

Club managing director Christian Purslow has previously said that five or six parties remain interested in taking a stake in the club, but price remains a sticking point.

The Rhone Group, a New York-based private equity fund, tabled a £105 million bid for a 40 per cent stake in the club last month, but a deadline for the deal to be accepted passed on Monday.

Edited by Devil

Just curious ..

have you ever been to watch a european final? there's nothing like it, fourth place can bugger off in terms of footballing importance.

not keen on this broughton chap by the way, dyed in the wool tory and the sort of appointment that normally comes before a flotation or bonds issue.

Just curious ..

have you ever been to watch a european final? there's nothing like it, fourth place can bugger off in terms of footballing importance.

not keen on this broughton chap by the way, dyed in the wool tory and the sort of appointment that normally comes before a flotation or bonds issue.

Yep Stevie... To me it mean the Yanks are going to be around for sometime. And if they think by having a Brit as chairman somehow makes us all feel better then they can <deleted>*k right off. I even read hes a life long Chelski fan dry.gif

" steady owners, investment please and Yanks out!"

Back to footie - Have to say that was a great performance in Europe against a very good in form Benfica, Torres looked fresh and up for it (Birmingham sub maybe the reason?)

Lucas when given or maybe when he tries to get forward looked very good!

Always wondered about Agger at left back mmm something to think about looked at home there imo.

I got a feeling we might keep this form up for our last league games and Euro games, well I can hope as always laugh.gif

Massive games coming up for the club! fingers crossed Fulham put a second team out and City drop points against some very hard games.

YNWA

From the looks of Messrs Torres and Gerard they have a slightly different priority to Rafa. I can't see either of them being remotely happy with the europa if they don't qualify for CL.

It's been a while since i hung up my boots (right side midfield, not quite pace of Lennon), but neither would i. :)

I don't know about Gerrard, but from remarks Torres has made, playing in the CL is not his absolute priority. I think he'd be happy with the Europa, and not qualifying for CL, as long as he feels the club's got the backing to bring players in. In fact, Torres sometimes to have got hold of Rafa's song sheet. More so than the skipper in fact.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

While on the surface that may seem like the likely scenario however does Benitez coaching style suit the los blanks go for it at all costs mentality? If he goes, maybe he can drag Torres and Gerrard with him.

cant see torres going anyway, or rafa for that matter. i would welcome gerrards departure however, time to part ways imho.

Sad, that somebody would want Gerrard to go. He has given absolutely everything to our club and is one of the greatest footballers of all time. A loyal Pool man.

IF HE GOES YOU MIGHT AS WELL CLOSE DOWN THE CLUB.

Just curious ..

You're right about that - a safe pair of hands, a City type that (new) investors are supposed to feel comfortable with, looking at his previous corporate and boardroom experience, when asked to stump up money.

Hmm the chairman of BA....Aside from the strikes this is the same bloke who has turned a well run airline into a second rate overpriced joke. This bloke has no respect for his customers so don't expect the fans will fare any better.

A disastrous appointment from a footballing point of view.

Thanks Vulcan - this is VERY big news! I think worth pasting here.

Dominic O'Connell Business Editor

liverpool_185x360_671113a.jpg

BARCLAYS is to make a shock intervention at Liverpool FC, backing a £300m refinancing that will lead to the sale of the club.

The bank is this weekend finalising a deal that will see it displace the club's current lenders, provide additional funds to Rafa Benitez, the manager, and install as chairman Martin Broughton of British Airways. Barclays Capital has been hired to find a buyer.

The move will dispel fears of a meltdown at Liverpool. The team's owners, American businessmen Tom Hicks and George Gillett, have been at war over strategy and financing for more than a year. Fans have campaigned to oust the pair, and Benitez has had public disputes with them over spending on players.

The club faces an imminent cash crisis. It has outstanding loans of £237m and its lenders, Royal Bank of Scotland and Wachovia, an American bank, have demanded £100m by July.

Barclays, the main sponsor of the Premier League, will replace RBS and Wachovia, and provide the club with additional capital. "The club's finances are improving. It just needs breathing space to get itself into shape before it is sold," one adviser working on the deal said yesterday.

Hicks and Gillett have agreed to Broughton's appointment. A former head of BAT, the tobacco giant, and the British Horseracing Authority, he is chairman of British Airways, where he has been grappling with cabin crew strikes.

Banking sources said last night that Broughton had been given the job of steering through the refinancing, resolving the rift between Hicks and Gillett, and, with Barclays Capital, finding a new owner.

Analysts have suggested that Liverpool is worth £500m but Barclays is understood to believe it would fetch far more if given time to improve its trading.

"Broughton is the kind of international business figure who will be able to bring in the standard of bidders Liverpool should attract," one source said.

Barclays' move highlights English football's troubled finances. Several top clubs are struggling under the burden of high player wages and crippling debts. Portsmouth became this year the first Premier League club to go into administration.

Fans have rebelled against foreign owners who bought in at the height of the football boom. Manchester United supporters want to oust the Glazer family, the American investors who bought the club in 2005. Wealthy City financiers have formed a consortium, the Red Knights, to buy out the Glazers.

Hicks and Gillett bought Liverpool in 2007 from the Moores family for £219m. The family sold up because they hoped to secure backing to build a new stadium that would allow Liverpool to compete with on better terms with United.

The scheme has been dogged with delays, however, with Hicks and Gillett blaming the banking crisis for their inability to finance construction.

The club has been talking to potential investors for several months including an American private equity fund, Rhone Group. It offered to buy a 40% stake in the club for £116m.

Hicks and Gillett's dealings with senior Liverpool executives have proved difficult.

Rick Parry, who had been chief executive of the club for 12 years, quit last June after a deterioration in his relationship with Hicks.

Edited by Devil

this is not good news this. it isn't a refinancing, it's a consolidation of the debt. which means that if a buyer isn't found who will pay H&G's ludicrous valuation of the club, £600m, then barclay's, having not found a buyer, can seek to reduce the value of the club by asset-stripping. which means player sales. whatever the press are painting this as today, this is not really a positive.

this is not good news this. it isn't a refinancing, it's a consolidation of the debt. which means that if a buyer isn't found who will pay H&G's ludicrous valuation of the club, £600m, then barclay's, having not found a buyer, can seek to reduce the value of the club by asset-stripping. which means player sales. whatever the press are painting this as today, this is not really a positive.

Your never very optimistic are you Stevie. Does the sun ever shine where you are :)

Seriously though. I know exactly where you are coming from and I doubt a price tag of £600m will attract many buyers.

I was thinking much the same. The debt will go UP from £237 Million to £300 Million overnight

Lets hope Benitez doesnt squander any funds he's been given by buying squad players (or turning them into squad quality players)

Penkoprod