Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

No...Eufa changed the qualifying criteria recently (either for 2010/2011 season, or the year before) to ONLY allow the winner, and not just the finalist of both domestic cups to partake in the Europa League, along with the team that finished in the highest place, other than the 4 places above them. IE..5th place. The "trickledown" to sixth place would only occur if one of the teams in the top 4 were to win a domestic cup as well.

Penkoprod

From the UEFA rules 2010/2011

2.04 If the winner of the domestic cup qualifies for the UEFA Champions League, the domestic cup runner-up qualifies for the UEFA Europa League at the stage initially reserved for the lowest ranking top domestic league

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/competitions/Regulations/01/48/48/90/1484890_DOWNLOAD.pdf

And we qualified from 7TH place last year...the year of the Portsmouth debacle, where they didnt get their application for a EUFA licence in in time.

The only other way for a team in 6th place to qualify, is to win the Europa League, of course. Can we overturn a 1-0 deficit?:ermm:

Both the reasons for Pompey not competing, and the qualification criteria is explained in this website from the BBC last year:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8558580.stm

Penkoprod

7th place doesn't qualify for the Europa, it's 5th place, League Cup Winners and FA cup Winners (or runners up if the winner already has a European place)

So City qualified in 5th place.

United won the League Cup and as they were already in Europe their place was redistributed to 6th place in the league (Villa)

Chelsea won the FA Cup and as they were already in Europe their place was redistributed to Portsmouth for being the runners up but due to financial rules they were illegible to play so it was redistributed to 7th place. So as I said, that's how you got into the Europa last season.

No...Eufa changed the qualifying criteria recently (either for 2010/2011 season, or the year before) to ONLY allow the winner, and not just the finalist of both domestic cups to partake in the Europa League, along with the team that finished in the highest place, other than the 4 places above them. IE..5th place. The "trickledown" to sixth place would only occur if one of the teams in the top 4 were to win a domestic cup as well.

Penkoprod

2.04 If the winner of the domestic cup qualifies for the UEFA Champions League, the domestic cup runner-up qualifies for the UEFA Europa League at the stage initially reserved for the lowest ranking top domestic league

http://www.uefa.com/...90_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Thanks for posting the link

Sorts it out, somewhat.....a LOT of misinformation out there, some from normally reliable sources , too

I just couldnt see how a team that finished 7th last year will not qualify from a place higher up

Oh ell, we had better start looking for a decent goalkeeper...........just in case Riena throws in the towel, too

Penkoprod

Penkoprod

http://www.uefa.com/...90_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Thanks for posting the link

Sorts it out, somewhat.....a LOT of misinformation out there, some from normally reliable sources , too

I just couldnt see how a team that finished 7th last year will not qualify from a place higher up

Oh ell, we had better start looking for a decent goalkeeper...........just in case Riena throws in the towel, too

Penkoprod

You're welcome.

Always happy to educate Liverpool supporters, god knows they need it.

The gentle sound of silent grieving? Not here to mock - I always support the English teams, so I'm disappointed too, but I know it will be hitting you true fans much harder.

The gentle sound of silent grieving? Not here to mock - I always support the English teams, so I'm disappointed too, but I know it will be hitting you true fans much harder.

To be honest we have had to swap a crap season for new owners and manager that we believe in. Doesnt seem a bad swap for me given our problems in the past.

Anyhow we did beat Sunderland (although they did look totally crap.) Hard to imagine they were 6th when KD was appointed and just goes to show that 6th aint that big a deal.

But a good summer and we will be back in the game. For certain all that 'inevitable decline', 'relegation battle' crap that was spouted by supporters of other teams that wish to celebrate LFC's brief acquaintance with the face of mediocrity probably realize it is only a question of 'when' not 'if' we climb back up.

To quote JWH - yeah I am calling him by initials now.

“Someone was saying that people weren’t happy here. But I think since that person left, people are happier.”

Quote from today's Torygraph.

You are so wrong santi and don't understand. They are happy and enjoying the season. :)

Edited by carmine

You are so wrong santi and don't understand. They are happy and enjoying the season. :)

Addf ot that " it is only a question of 'when' not 'if' we climb back up. " & all is rosey at Anfield..:)

JUts need to keep getting them kind of Pens that they got yesterday & all will be fine, yeah..

Edit : Still no sing of my Book it seems, never thought it woud materialise anyway..:)

Edited by MSingh

To be honest we have had to swap a crap season for new owners and manager that we believe in. Doesnt seem a bad swap for me given our problems in the past.

Anyhow we did beat Sunderland (although they did look totally crap.) Hard to imagine they were 6th when KD was appointed and just goes to show that 6th aint that big a deal.

But a good summer and we will be back in the game. For certain all that 'inevitable decline', 'relegation battle' crap that was spouted by supporters of other teams that wish to celebrate LFC's brief acquaintance with the face of mediocrity probably realize it is only a question of 'when' not 'if' we climb back up.

To quote JWH - yeah I am calling him by initials now.

"Someone was saying that people weren't happy here. But I think since that person left, people are happier."

Quote from today's Torygraph.

Sure its no problem beating teams like Sunderland when the ref gives out penalty decisions like that. :o

Please beat City next week. And i don't need any stats or sabermetrics Abrak, just the team to get out there and do it. :D

Sure its no problem beating teams like Sunderland when the ref gives out penalty decisions like that. :o

Please beat City next week. And i don't need any stats or sabermetrics Abrak, just the team to get out there and do it. :D

You guys are obsessed with results rather than the actual club.

I dont for one minute think that the current team is good enough to make it into the top 4 just because its form hasnt been quite as bad under Kenny. In fact as we have dropped 8 points against the bottom six over the last 10 games, which is more points than any of the top 4 teams have dropped in the whole season, the results would clearly indicate we are not yet good enough. (I might add that watching Suarez on the pitch makes me rather feel that we need another 10 new players to compete.)

To me the season is a write-off and has been from the very beginning. We should be resigned to 6th place (or even 7th if Everton improve). I dont see what difference us winning over Man City will make apart from boosting Spurs heroic efforts for 4th (which I would like to succeed but I fear are doomed to fail.)

To be honest I just think that Sunderland were piss poor. I dont really believe in trying to use statistics to predict individual match results because the results you derive are not statistically significant. Effectively it is simply a very crap gamble.

Statistically though Man City have been incredibly clever to spend so much money on their team and to perform so badly. It almost seems like they have confused correlation with causality.

I dont for one minute think that the current team is good enough to make it into the top 4 just because its form hasnt been quite as bad under Kenny. In fact as we have dropped 8 points against the bottom six over the last 10 games, which is more points than any of the top 4 teams have dropped in the whole season, the results would clearly indicate we are not yet good enough. (I might add that watching Suarez on the pitch makes me rather feel that we need another 10 new players to compete.)

To me the season is a write-off and has been from the very beginning. We should be resigned to 6th place (or even 7th if Everton improve). I dont see what difference us winning over Man City will make apart from boosting Spurs heroic efforts for 4th (which I would like to succeed but I fear are doomed to fail.)

To be honest I just think that Sunderland were piss poor. I dont really believe in trying to use statistics to predict individual match results because the results you derive are not statistically significant. Effectively it is simply a very crap gamble.

Statistically though Man City have been incredibly clever to spend so much money on their team and to perform so badly. It almost seems like they have confused correlation with causality.

He's at it again! ohmy.gif

Quick....where's Alfredo with his 'head spinning around' emoticon?? biggrin.gif

Statistically though

:D

Statistically though

Pleased to see you used your spell check on YOUR last post Sing

BT :jap:

Statistically though

Aye aye, Mr Can't type more than 15 words has crawled out from under his Rock again with one of his humourous little one liners..

Didn't we used to have a W*nker emoticon on the Forum ??

Aye aye, Mr Can't type more than 15 words has crawled out from under his Rock again with one of his humourous little one liners..

Didn't we used to have a W*nker emoticon on the Forum ??

If we had I would know who to give it too !

ps your counting as bad as your spelling. :lol:

We will finish above City. You will finish 6th. Apart from the fact you have Suarez i can't see where the improvement is since your Roy left. But i've grown fond of the Liverpool thread and if you lot are happy then i'm happy. :wai:

If we had I would know who to give it too !

ps your counting as bad as your spelling. :lol:

Why, did you wrote out more than 15 words in that Post then ??

Thought not..

You managed to write more than 15 in this Post though, although you had to split it up in 2 sentences of course, which you should get a pat on the back for at least..

T"is grim up North..

Apologies BT, extremely Childish of me for rising to you & we'll do it over a Beer one day like i said before..:)

No problem Mr SINGH, looking forward to it. :burp:

BT

Good stuff, just a quickie though, why do you capitalise random words within your sentences out of curiosity ??

Apologies BT, extremely Childish of me for rising to you & we'll do it over a Beer one day like i said before..:)

No problem Mr SINGH, looking forward to it. :burp:

BT

Good stuff, just a quickie though, why do you capitalise random words within your sentences out of curiosity ??

Because I can, BUT usually it is a Senior moment... :)

BT

I see that Ian Ayre has been made MD and that Comolli has been 'promoted' (their words not mine) to Director of Football.

I am slightly disappointed that FSG didnt find a 'bigger hitter' as MD/CEO but I guess it is their appointment. I am not surprised they have put a degree of faith in Comolli who essentially talks the same language as they do. It would now be great to finalise KD and Steve Clarke's permanent appointment.

It seems to me as though there are two new players that LFC has their eyes on every single day. Obviously there is a lot of <deleted> in the press but it is possible (if you take into account that players you dont want to leave might leave in the summer - such as Reina and Johnson) that there will be up to 8 new faces in the team next year.

So roll on the summer....

I see that Ian Ayre has been made MD and that Comolli has been 'promoted' (their words not mine) to Director of Football.

I am slightly disappointed that FSG didnt find a 'bigger hitter' as MD/CEO but I guess it is their appointment. I am not surprised they have put a degree of faith in Comolli who essentially talks the same language as they do. It would now be great to finalise KD and Steve Clarke's permanent appointment.

It seems to me as though there are two new players that LFC has their eyes on every single day. Obviously there is a lot of <deleted> in the press but it is possible (if you take into account that players you dont want to leave might leave in the summer - such as Reina and Johnson) that there will be up to 8 new faces in the team next year.

So roll on the summer....

I reckon there will (or, even that there IS) a bit of a power struggle going on between Dalglish, Comolli, and, to a degree between Kenny and the board.

On the basis of "this town aint big enough for the both of us"

Perhaps thats why they havent offered him a permenent contract yet?

It could even be that, while they say all the right things about "We are very pleased with the work of the manager" and other such soundbites, perhaps they dont think its good ENOUGH to suit their long term plans.

Certainly interesting times ahead, thats for sure.

Penkoprod