Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Sorry to burst your bubble but you only spent £8m net in January. :)

edit: and it was a panic buy of a player yet to play 90mins for you who would likely have been £10m cheaper in the summer. Still feeling great? :D

To be frank, Suarez has turned out as a better buy than we expected, Torres a better sell than we expected.... If Carroll doesnt (and it is far too early to judge) turn out particularly well it was not entirely unexpected nor a big deal.

How can you tell Suarez has " turned out to be a better buy than we expected " after playing 5 Games & scoring 2 Goals, are you honestly serious with that statement & basing a 23m GBP Transfer being succesful on those 5 Games ??

How do you know Torres has turned out to be a better sell than expected, when he's only played 5 Games for Chelsea & when in the following sentence, you say if Carroll doesn't turn out particulary well, it's not entirely unexpected nor a big deal ??

Honestly, are you serious ??

I'd like to hear the logic behind everything i quoted above of yours if you don't mind cos i'm really struggling & i thing it could be interesting to read, thanks..:)

How can you tell Suarez has " turned out to be a better buy than we expected " after playing 5 Games & scoring 2 Goals, are you honestly serious with that statement & basing a 23m GBP Transfer being succesful on those 5 Games ??

How do you know Torres has turned out to be a better sell than expected, when he's only played 5 Games for Chelsea & when in the following sentence, you say if Carroll doesn't turn out particulary well, it's not entirely unexpected nor a big deal ??

I'd like to hear the logic behind everything i quoted above of yours if you don't mind cos i'm really struggling & i thing it could be interesting to read, thanks..:)

1) When we sold Torres we did not think it likely he could go 7 league games without scoring a goal as it never happened with LFC.

2) We didnt know that Suarez form in the Dutch League would immediately (or perhaps could be guaranteed) to be transferred to the EPL.

3) We did know that Carroll would be injured and would not play for a while

On the first two issues we were pleasantly surprised.

Statistically though Man City have been incredibly clever to spend so much money on their team and to perform so badly. It almost seems like they have confused correlation with causality.

Give over you numpty. The target is and always has been, to finish in the top 4 this season. Currently, we are right on track.

Go and find some statistics about teams who have changed as dramatically as us and how quick it takes them to gel. Most teams buy one player and it takes him months and months to fit in.

I think Man City should easily finish at least 4th this season. Well, not easily, I guess, but I think they will. 3rd even.

I think that's probably the minimum goal, ya?

To be fair I could not see them getting the title this season as the competition is just too fierce and they are competing with clubs who have had many more years to build a team piece by piece and at least Man U and Arsenal with the same manager and playing philosophy while Chelsea's core has been largely the same the last several seasons with Cech, Terry, Lampard and Drogba.

To expect Man City to win everything right away with all the money they've spent and basically replace the whole team I don't think can be expected. But in the next season or two I think they need to win at least something as the work comes to fruition. Succes in football's about chemistry, a playing philosophy and not just about money and individual players, right?

On a Liverpool note, Suarez is absolute class. I had only seen him play for Uruguay at the World Cup and remember him being good, but the memory was hazy. It's not about the goals he's scored, he created all 3 goals against United (well the second came from Nani's horrible header but the cross was from Suarez) and his impact on the team and in games has been immense.

He and Meireles have been the best additions this year, clearly.

Edited by Jimjim

1) When we sold Torres we did not think it likely he could go 7 league games without scoring a goal as it never happened with LFC. - He's only played 5 League Games for Chelsea, 5 Games, which simply does not mean that he won't be a good buy for Chelsea & even though i personally may have my doubts at 50m, i don't believe anyone who knows anythign about Football would even suggest such a thing in such a short space of time where such a quality Footballer is concerned & one that has only just turned 27.

2) We didnt know that Suarez form in the Dutch League would immediately (or perhaps could be guaranteed) to be transferred to the EPL. - He's played 5 Games scoring 2 Goals, one of which would have been cleared 9.9 times out of 10. How can you say that his form has been transfered affter such little time ?? I'm not saying he won't be a good Signing, i juts can't fathom how it can be decided that he IS a good Signing, in such a short space of time & we're not talkign about a 2m Player here, we're talkign about a 23m one & that's a lot of money to have made a judgement on in such a short space of time, don't you think ??

3) We did know that Carroll would be injured and would not play for a while - What has that got to do with it not being a big deal or not entirely unexpected if Carroll doesn't turn out well then ?? He cost your Club 35m GBP, money that could have been spent on let's say, the Centre Back position at your Club which unless is completely reshaped, you won't be challenging for anything soon, let alone the Championship or CL places.

On the first two issues we were pleasantly surprised.

Such little time, such huge sums of money, yet it all seems so cut & dried if you were to be believed, lunacy..

Such little time, such huge sums of money, yet it all seems so cut & dried if you were to be believed, lunacy..

To be honest it is just a different perspective.

You wish to judge decisions ex post facto based on a fair degree of data.

The problem is that in life people have to make decisions without knowing 'with perfect hindsight' whether those decisions are the right ones or not. So arguing that we do not 'know' Suarez is a good acquisition because we do not have sufficient data is really a complete denial of the fact that the decision to acquire him was made in the knowledge that you cannot predict the future.

To be honest it is just a different perspective.

You wish to judge decisions ex post facto based on a fair degree of data.

The problem is that in life people have to make decisions without knowing 'with perfect hindsight' whether those decisions are the right ones or not. So arguing that we do not 'know' Suarez is a good acquisition because we do not have sufficient data is really a complete denial of the fact that the decision to acquire him was made in the knowledge that you cannot predict the future.

No, let's get it right, YOU don't HAVE TO make any decision or judgement, especially after 5 Games..

But you did, rather foolishly..

Sing are you :fight: Again ??

I would say IMHO wait to the end of the season before we disect the results of the transfers. :jap:

BT :D

No, if you'd read it you'd see that i wasn't & after what you posted, you'd see that you agree with me even if you may be a tad premature in your errrrrrrr ( dont' panic BT ).............................. assement time..:)

Desperate, it shows desperation, nothing else..

Bit early to be judging youtube videos on a player who has been at LFC a few weeks especially on an LFC thread? Dont ya think?

:violin: :violin:

Still as they say 'if you throw a stone...'

:P :P :P

Anyway '100% just remember his name....'

Desperate, it shows desperation, nothing else..

Bit early to be judging youtube videos on a player who has been at LFC a few weeks especially on an LFC thread? Dont ya think?

I don't care what Thread it is, anyone who thinks they can judge a 23m GBP Player after 5 Games needs their head tested be that you or the Guy that thought he could make up a compilation of his best bits..

PS : Still no sign of the Book by the way..;)

And with these transfers each team have come up with their own new songs for their signings.

One of the Chelsea songs for Torres includes the very catchy lines...

Blue suits you more anyway...

It brings out your eyes I must say...

and also...

with or without your long hair...

you still play with style and with flair...

From Chelsea FC TV.

I just cant see those lyrics catching on at Anfield.

And with these transfers each team have come up with their own new songs for their signings.

One of the Chelsea songs for Torres includes the very catchy lines...

Blue suits you more anyway...

It brings out your eyes I must say...

and also...

with or without your long hair...

you still play with style and with flair...

From Chelsea FC TV.

I just cant see those lyrics catching on at Anfield.

Sounds more like Janis Joplin than the Shed..

Mushrooms..

However i really don't believe they actually sing that..

Here's one for you Chaps, your Shirt Sponsor until 2014 is telling you to buy Asian Players, to help tap into Commercial opprtunities in the Region..:rolleyes:

Doesn't matter if they're good enough, just get them on board so you be viable Commercialy, sounds great that..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9442542.stm

I also watched poor old Thommo on a Thai TV Show the other night bless him, he was trying to promote Liverpool in Thailand as a " real Football Club " as opposed to a " Brand, like the other Red Club are "..

Sadly for Thommo & your Club & the way you fell in love with it, the powers that be think otherwise..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9441341.stm

"Even in the darkest hours we had around ownership and debt our business continued to grow," he commented.

"That shows Liverpool is bigger than any one person and it's a global football brand, which makes it slightly different from other clubs.

Funniest Thread out of the whole lot this, even with Sabermetrics in full flow....

This lot are more quiet when it's going wrong than Harry Secombe is currently....:D

Stop laughing singh. As i said, i've grown very fond of this lot. they are happy and thats whats important.

Did you get your book? :D

Funniest Thread out of the whole lot this, even with Sabermetrics in full flow....

This lot are more quiet when it's going wrong than Harry Secombe is currently....:D

Stop laughing singh. As i said, i've grown very fond of this lot. they are happy and thats whats important.

Did you get your book? :D

You've got more chance of getting a Verse out of Harry Secombe from 6 foot under, or seeing Dev for the next few days on here than me getting that Book..:D

Look on the bright side of life, Scousers. At least you can look forward to improving fortunes next year. Second-placed and no hope of improving this year or next is a pretty depressing place to be, trust me :angry:

Look on the bright side of life, Scousers. At least you can look forward to improving fortunes next year. Second-placed and no hope of improving this year or next is a pretty depressing place to be, trust me :angry:

Why do you think this?

Why do you think this?

Nothing new from me below, but in summary:

Arsene's a good coach but I don't think he has the cutting edge to bounce back and is too obstinate. The fabric and history of Arsenal says that he gets another chance, but a club that wants to consistently be one of the top three clubs in the world (as opposed to one of the top 6 say) needs to be more ruthless. However, there is a slim chance that he will fall on his own sword before the end of the season. He has his good points and I suspect he is a man of principles.

I guess if you want to talk football you could ask a Spurs fan who will tell how they beat you last year while spending half as much.

I'm digging that too & would love to know Anrak's thoughts about " Team A " who can take 4 Points off of a certain other Team in on Season along with stopping them scoring in both Games totalling 3 hours, when " Team B " have actually spent mor ethan 600% more than " Team A " over the past 4 Seasons..:D

Really an individual match or even two matches doesnt tell you much about a team - the deviation is too high. Wolves as we know beat Man United it doesnt show much. Liverpool took 6 points off Chelsea this season who spend considerably more than them but it does not mean they are a better team. Blackpool achieved the double against Liverpool but it does not make them a better team than Liverpool.

The easiest way to invent a system to effectively rank teams, is to form a league and then have every team in the league play every other both home and away and rank them according to the results. So when I said 'Spurs beat Man City' I was referring to 38 games over a whole season while their total spend was about half. Individual matches are obviously subject to luck, injuries, variation in performance, referee decisions, hangovers etc. You will be hard placed to find a team that has spent say 300% more than another during the season actually end up at the end of the season lower than the lower spending club. The greatest deviation I know from spend in the EPL was the relegation of Newcastle a couple of seasons ago when their spend was nearly 70m.

(I am sure if you go back far enough there would be far higher deviations because money wasnt as important. When LFC last won the title in 1990, their total wage bill was 5.4m, it is now over 100m and the RPI has increased only 96% since then.)

The unpredictability of an 'individual' match is what attracts football fans to the game. The relative predictability of 'aggregation' is what attracts dodgy businessmen to buy the league title.

You are of course right Anorak, but <deleted> me does it feel good to stop a Team that has spent 600% ( not 300% ) scoring against you in 3 hours of Football ( 2 Matches ), let alone beat you..;)

''Anorak'', nice one :D :D :D

Obviously I am not laughing just because he is a kopite.

I suspect he is a man of principles.

Those same principles that saw him jetting off to Paris for 'business meetings' eh?

Hung on to his wife by a shoelace...he'll not leave until the fans kick him out. Mind you that would involve singing etc cherchez les femmes <deleted>.

Liverpool's director of football said: "There will be movement, that's for sure. We are very attractive for a lot of players because of what we did in January and a game like that [the 3-1 defeat of Manchester United] is fantastic publicity for us around the world. Since the day after I was getting phone calls from agents telling me that their player would love to come and that we are going to compete next year if we get it right. We are attractive to a lot of top players and we want to bring top players to this club."

:unsure:

If you had CL Football i'd maybe a agree with him but you haven't & therefore you'd only be attracctive to Players who are not good enough to play at that very level, like Andy Carrill & Raphael VDV for example..:)

Plus remember, why any Millionaire would choose to spen time in Liverpool/Merseyside when they don't actually have to, is another VERY big negative..