Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Interesting question as posed on a football website yesterday;

You just won the carling cup. Congratulations on that btw. Do you now consider the season a success? A brief look at the table shows a top four is still very possible so do you feel that it would only constitute a successful season if you also finished top four?

Like Devil says, I am not sure it is necessary to qualify for top 4 to call it a successful season. Certainly I think that if we qualified for the FA cup final as well as winning the Carling that would be a job well done. (Although partly thanks to not being in Europa.)

The extra cash from being top 4 probably doesnt mean a lot. As the club will often simply spend more in the summer and then not qualify the following year.

You just won the carling cup. Congratulations on that btw. Do you now consider the season a success? A brief look at the table shows a top four is still very possible so do you feel that it would only constitute a successful season if you also finished top four?

Like Devil says, I am not sure it is necessary to qualify for top 4 to call it a successful season. Certainly I think that if we qualified for the FA cup final as well as winning the Carling that would be a job well done. (Although partly thanks to not being in Europa.)

The extra cash from being top 4 probably doesnt mean a lot. As the club will often simply spend more in the summer and then not qualify the following year.

So abs,which one would you prefer :

A. Qualify for the champions league

B. League cup winners and reach the FA final

No waffling now, just A or B

You don't arf spout some crap abs

You don't arf spout some crap abs

What he meant to say was "We haven't a snowball's chance in hell of fourth place".

I rather take B. winning 1 piece of silver and being in with a good chance to win another, rather than qualify for a tournament we dont stand much chance of winning for a couple of years.

I rather take B. winning 1 piece of silver and being in with a good chance to win another, rather than qualify for a tournament we dont stand much chance of winning for a couple of years.

You seem to have missed the point Abby. Ofcourse you want to win silverware, who doesn't? Its your ridiculous comment about 25-30m not meaning a lot!!!

You seem to have missed the point Abby. Ofcourse you want to win silverware, who doesn't? Its your ridiculous comment about 25-30m not meaning a lot!!!

No you miss my point. clubs have a habit of going off and spending it as though it is a new gravy train. Even a disciplined club Spurs saw their wage bill climb 35% last year from 67 to 93m. And then you suddenly find you have a cost base dependent on CL without the guarantee of CL revenues. And it is difficult to cut your cost base you take players on long term contracts. (Look at Villa trying to unwind their overspending mess.) So I am just not convinced CL brings the riches that people believe it does.

Can't believe we lost that!

Van Persie two chances two goals...

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

Yes and unfortunately his price is rocketing out of range of all but RM, Barca, Bayern and Man C.

Edited by SantiSuk

Don't know what you lot think but i reckon the goals will come when a fit Gerrard can link with Suarez.

I really don't rate Downing and think that Bellamy should have come on earlier. he's more of a player that makes things happen. The one thing Liverpool showed is how vulnerable Arsenal are at the back and you should have had the game wrapped up after 30 minutes. Wouldn't Gerrard, if he was playing have taken the penalty?

i'm fed up of us this season, something is quite blatantly wrong with the number of chances we're missing and we just don't seem to be addressing it. it's infuriating. we should have been three up after half an hour against arsenal yesterday and end up coming away with nothing.

Can't believe we lost that!

Van Persie two chances two goals...

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

He could be sitting in the dressing room having a cup of tea and the ball would hit him and still find the back of the net.He's having that sort of season.

........... The one thing Liverpool showed is how vulnerable Arsenal are at the back .........

Yeah yeah - so we shipped 3 goals in the last 2 games. Remind me how many Spurs have leaked in their last two gameshit-the-fan.gif .

i'm fed up of us this season, something is quite blatantly wrong with the number of chances we're missing and we just don't seem to be addressing it. it's infuriating. we should have been three up after half an hour against arsenal yesterday and end up coming away with nothing.

I'm with you Stevie. It's like a weird curse. What do you think it is, though? What could be the reason? Is it just bad luck or some sort of lack of confidence to score that's running right through the squad? It really is a head scratcher, to be honest.

Herein likes the problem:

Liverpool league goals this season = 30

Robin Van Persie league goals this season = 25

Suarez has been exciting this season yet I read he has a conversion rate around 6% this season. He's hit the woodwork 19 times in his total time with Liverpool. Unlucky? Feeling the pressure? I don't know...

We've hit the woodwork 21 times this season, too. Compare to the end of last season when we were scoring goals for fun under Kenny. It's shocking, frustrating and it just really makes me wonder.

Carroll, when he's played, has actually had several headed chances and buried none of them this season. I checked his goals at Newcastle and mostly all were clinical headers. To where has this part of his game disappeared?

We have the worst conversion rate in the league. I would bet the only player with a good strike rate compared to clear chances is Bellamy. Kuyt has scored a couple important goals of late and hasn't played a lot, but his return has been paltry, as well.

Suarez scored 49 in one season a couple seasons ago so where has that goal machine gone? I know it was the Netherlands but surely it shows he can score more goals than he has.

No idea why we create so many chances and just can't put them in the net. It's shocking and mystifying, for me.

At the end of last season, league only, we had scored 1.55 goals per match.

So far this season, league only, 1.15 per match.

By my math that's a 26% drop. Significant.

it's just been a weird season all over jim, and not just from the perspective of the number of chances we've missed. kenny's been trying to rebuild and reinvent us meanwhile he's had 5 months of unprecedented media shitstorm to manage too. it's yet another season where it's impossible to just talk about the football and the pluses or minuses of summer signings. ony really bellamy and enrique have looked good of the new lads, carroll, downing, henderson and adam continue to disappoint a bit.

that said i think that this was always going to be a transition season and what is now significant is how the owners react in the summer. we're still a few players short but we've got to attract them almost certainly without CL football to offer, which means a few punts again. we need better players in centre mid, we need a goalscorer / finisher of chances (supposed to be carroll) and soon we're going to have to properly replace gerrard. guess we find out what the owners are made of this summer.

On a scale of one to ten just how embarrassing was that Suarez dive to get the penalty? And is it really necessary for him to writhe around in consumate would be agony because he's just been tripped up by a blade of grass?

That guys his own worst enemy

Edited by carmine

On a scale of one to ten just how embarrassing was that Suarez dive to get the penalty? And is it really necessary for him to writhe around in consumate would be agony because he's just been tripped up by a blade of grass?

he's obviously been watching gareth bale.

• Like 1

And Drogba and several others.

These dives are getting worse, but as refs seem to be unable to distinguish it will go on and on. Any contact and most players will go down in the box. I also agree that this writhing on the floor in agony crap has to be stopped, but how can you do that? By the way some of this grass is unbelievably tough, and can fell many a 6 foot plus striker with nothing but a sideways glance.

I'm with you Stevie. It's like a weird curse. What do you think it is, though? What could be the reason? Is it just bad luck or some sort of lack of confidence to score that's running right through the squad? It really is a head scratcher, to be honest.

Herein likes the problem:

Liverpool league goals this season = 30

Robin Van Persie league goals this season = 25

Suarez has been exciting this season yet I read he has a conversion rate around 6% this season. He's hit the woodwork 19 times in his total time with Liverpool. Unlucky? Feeling the pressure? I don't know...

We've hit the woodwork 21 times this season, too. Compare to the end of last season when we were scoring goals for fun under Kenny. It's shocking, frustrating and it just really makes me wonder.

Carroll, when he's played, has actually had several headed chances and buried none of them this season. I checked his goals at Newcastle and mostly all were clinical headers. To where has this part of his game disappeared?

We have the worst conversion rate in the league. I would bet the only player with a good strike rate compared to clear chances is Bellamy. Kuyt has scored a couple important goals of late and hasn't played a lot, but his return has been paltry, as well.

Suarez scored 49 in one season a couple seasons ago so where has that goal machine gone? I know it was the Netherlands but surely it shows he can score more goals than he has.

No idea why we create so many chances and just can't put them in the net. It's shocking and mystifying, for me.

I think we should have carried on this season with the majority of the players from last season, we were playing great and scoring. We could have brought players in slowly and not upset confidence or put too high expectations on players.

Some of our misses have been inexplicable, how did Martin Kelly miss that sitter? Also our pens need to be addressed. Please please stop this transition season nonsense. Every season is a transition season at Liverpool. i do agree with about the crap over Suarez upsetting thing though. I think that was bound to happen

And Drogba and several others.

only one player in the league has been booked twice for diving this season, and he's not one of them dirty cheating foreigners. he didn't get booked for the simulation against arsenal last weekend either somehow.

I also agree that this writhing on the floor in agony crap has to be stopped,

Agreed..... it's amazing how most of them can throw themselves to the ground knees first and slide for several yards, smiling, after they have scored a goal of course.

Yes he probably has but then again i've never tried to suggest Gareth isn't a diver have i.

Neither do i have a problem with Suarez diving, most do nowadays, though i do have a problem with his usage of a forearm.

Interesting discussion. Are you all aware a company has been commissioned to look at installing goal line technology in time for the Club World Championships in December.

The plan is to roll it out as "optional" from 2013. Bring it on!