Vat Registration And Work Permit

Does anyone know if you have to become VAT registered if you need a foreigner work permit? I was just speaking with an accountant and she seemed surprised that I had a work permit through my company and wasn't VAT registered. The turnover of the company is NOT more than 1,800,000 Baht per year so I was under the impression we didn't need to

VAT Registation if the turnover is > 1,800,000 per annum is one of the requirements for a one year extension under Case 2.1 of National Police Order 777/2551 - Working in the Kingdom of Thailand.

VAT Registration is not required for a Work Permit per se.

Visa extension on the basis of employment 777 2551 Case 2.1t.pdf

Work permit no.

Visa extension of stay yes.

But for the extension of stay only if the annual turnover exceeds 1.8 million Baht per year, as digitalchromakey said in his post and documented with his attachment.

So basically what you are saying then, I can obtain a work permit without being VAT registered but will encounter a problem when I come to renew after 1 year

You would have a problem at extension time if your turnover was > 1,800,000 THB per annum, however you stated in your original post that the company's annual turnover is less than that.

See full list of required criteriae/paperwork,etc for the one year extension based on employment in The Kingdom of Thailand from my earlier post above.

Edited by digitalchromakey