Who Transfers The Visa In New Passports ?

The visa itself is not transferred to the new passport but the immigration office puts a stamp there into which they write details of your old passport and the visa you had in it, a stamp something like the one shown at the top of the attached passport page. The other two stamps are copies from the old passport of the latest arrival stamp and of the latest extension of stay.

Transfer%2520-%2520stamps%2520old%2520to

If the "existing 1 year Thai visa" mentioned in the OP is a multiple-entry non-immigrant visa this visa will not be transferred to the new passport but you can continue to use the visa in your old passport for entries into Thailand – and get the arrival stamps in your new passport – as long as the visa remains valid. Just write the visa number on the arrival card and present both passports to the immigration officer on your arrival.

• Like 1

The visa itself is not transferred to the new passport but the immigration office puts a stamp there into which they write details of your old passport and the visa you had in it, a stamp something like the one shown at the top of the attached passport page. The other two stamps are copies from the old passport of the latest arrival stamp and of the latest extension of stay.

Transfer%2520-%2520stamps%2520old%2520to

Thank you ,

Is there a fee to do this ?

Does it take long ?

Do you need to carry the old passport with the original stamps if trying to clear immigration ?

I don't know about a German passport, but when you get a new US passport, the Embassy stamps cancelled on the bio page and they also punch holes through the entire passport defacing it. If the German Embassy does this you should show them that you have a valid visa in the old passport and ask them not to deface the visa page. The US Embassy will do this leaving the valid visa page intact.

I don't know about a German passport, but when you get a new US passport, the Embassy stamps cancelled on the bio page and they also punch holes through the entire passport defacing it. If the German Embassy does this you should show them that you have a valid visa in the old passport and ask them not to deface the visa page. The US Embassy will do this leaving the valid visa page intact.

As of my last passport renewal four years ago the US Embassy only punches holes in covers/bio page of passport - not in visa pages as previously. For those that do folding back visa pages can prevent issue (normally they will do if asked).

Visas are never transferred - but if you have an extension of stay you visit the office issuing for transfer of that information and last arrival - if you are just on a visa entry you have this process done at exit point by presenting both passports. If you do not have old passport you will have to visit immigration office with police report/proof of not having old passport prior to exit for information to be placed in new passport. As said there is no charge but some copies will be required.

In the case of us Brits, the IPS insists that we snip off the front & back covers plus photopage of our old passport in the top right-hand corner, so as to formally cancel it.

If the US & German passport issuing authorities also insist on this, it is essential not to snip off any pages containing Thai visas or immigration stamps as well, since Immigration might well deem these to be no longer valid as well when considering any request to transfer them to a new passport.

• Like 1

I once was here on VOA and got a new American passport. In my ignorance, I did not transfer the Thai entry stamp. Then tried to leave via Swampy, showing them the old & new passport. This lead to great consternation & escalation to 3 levels of management (none of whom explained the problem to me.)

Then they told me my error, said I should have gone to Immigration office to transfer the stamp, but in this case they would take care of it right at the airport. Plenty of smiles & wai to thank them for their consideration; they could have really messed up my day if they had stuck to the letter of the law.

How did you get a VOA (visa on arrival is for 15 days)? It was probably a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Lots of people leave with this type of entry with a new passport. Yours is the only report of having a problem when just leaving without going to immigration that I can recall. Or with a valid visa (not an extension of stay) in their passport for that matter.

Edited by ubonjoe

That was the old policy - it has been changed so now it is routinely done at exit point for those on visa or visa exempt entry and only those on extensions of stay from immigration need to do there.

And we all know in Nong Khai they send you to immigration even with only tourist visa. Good to remember if one is thinking exit on weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

US Passport holder, renewed my passport in February 2013. I got my visa (non immigrant) done in Thailand at immigration in Sept 2012. I've been back for a 90 day report since the new passport, and they said nothing about needing a transfer.. I went yesterday to get a re-entry permit and they said 'you have to get a transfer' which I knew nothing about. The transfer line was already full I was told so I have to go back another day.

I will go back tomorrow to get my transfer, but want to know what documents/ photocopies I need to have with me? Is it a pretty painless process? Can I get all of this done at the airport when I leave? I am on a Korean Air flight that leaves at like 11:50 pm though, I think.

Thanks in advance, this forum has always been great about answering these questions.

Birdman.

Edited by LarryBird

You must be on an extension of stay if done last year so that has to be transferred at the immigration office that you extended at. Your Embassy should have told you this when they provided the new passport. A letter is also normally required from them asking that this be done. That, along with copies of old passport data page/visa/entry/extension and new passport data page will be required and you fill out a short form for transfer. They will enter your old passport data/extension into your new passport and you will need a re-entry permit for your travel either at immigration or airport as departing to return on that extension.

Only those on 60/90 day visa or visa exempt entry do not have to transfer extension at immigration and can go directly to border with both passports.

If you have lost the letter, I know US Embassy has always issued for me, you will likely be able to do if you are honest about it and explain you just found out and have flight leaving soon.

• Like 1

You must be on an extension of stay if done last year so that has to be transferred at the immigration office that you extended at. Your Embassy should have told you this when they provided the new passport. A letter is also normally required from them asking that this be done. That, along with copies of old passport data page/visa/entry/extension and new passport data page will be required and you fill out a short form for transfer. They will enter your old passport data/extension into your new passport and you will need a re-entry permit for your travel either at immigration or airport as departing to return on that extension.

Only those on 60/90 day visa or visa exempt entry do not have to transfer extension at immigration and can go directly to border with both passports.

If you have lost the letter, I know US Embassy has always issued for me, you will likely be able to do if you are honest about it and explain you just found out and have flight leaving soon.

I am a little confused by this reply lopburi...

This June we are visiting the UK for a few months, and since my UK passport has only a few clear pages, I will be taking the opportunity to renew it.

I am on a retirement extension of stay which will be renewed just before I depart for the UK (I will also be getting a re entry permit)

Are you suggesting that the UKPA will look through my passport and, seeing the extension of stay, will include a letter with my new passport asking for the stamp to be transferred to my new passport?

Or, should I point this out to the UKPA and ask them for a letter asking for the Extension of stay to be transferred to the new passport?

Should I also ask them to only to cut the corners off the covers (back and front) so as to leave the Visa/ Extension pages un-defaced?

This June we are visiting the UK for a few months, and since my UK passport has only a few clear pages, I will be taking the opportunity to renew it.

I am on a retirement extension of stay which will be renewed just before I depart for the UK (I will also be getting a re entry permit)

Are you suggesting that the UKPA will look through my passport and, seeing the extension of stay, will include a letter with my new passport asking for the stamp to be transferred to my new passport?

Or, should I point this out to the UKPA and ask them for a letter asking for the Extension of stay to be transferred to the new passport?

Should I also ask them to only to cut the corners off the covers (back and front) so as to leave the Visa/ Extension pages un-defaced?

UKPA would not have a clue - even your embassy does not do unless you ask them. You may be able to transfer with just a receipt for new passport but if not you will have to ask your embassy - reports are they will provide.

UKPA would not have a clue - even your embassy does not do unless you ask them. You may be able to transfer with just a receipt for new passport but if not you will have to ask your embassy - reports are they will provide.

Can confirm this on the basis of recent personal experience - and the Embassy letter is even free of charge! However, given that rawhod would presumably be stamped back in at BKK in his new passport, he would only need this letter if/when he subsequently visited Immigration to get his extension of stay stamp transferred from his old passport (presumably advisable if there were still several months remaining). So the question of a letter from IPS (which is what the UKBA are now known as) is academic.

From the Thai Immigration website there is a form to request the transfer of stamp to a new passport.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/download/transferstamp.doc

So it looks like fill in form and take old and new passport to immigration, job done. Or am I missing something here? As I have to do this I am keen to know the correct procedure. Australian Passport though.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update as I did the stamp transfer today. The form required is the one I referenced above and I had it pre filled in before going, and having had dealings with Chaengwattana and their liking of photocopies I also took copies of old and new passport Bio pages and the most recent TM.6 departure card. All of the photocopies were accepted as required, but no signature required this time on the copies. Then a quick visit to the next department to get my multi entry transferred and it was job done and head for home. No fees were charged and total waiting time about 2 hours, though was relatively quiet in the retirement section today.

Cheers