Thai Widow Seeks Justice For Husband's Murder

webfact

Widow seeks justice for husband's murder
Opas Boonlom
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Nearly nine years after activist Charoen Wat-aksorn was shot dead at a seaside town he was trying to protect from corruption, his widow feels justice has yet to be delivered.

"I don't think my late husband was killed because of any personal conflict with the gunmen, it was about his move to expose encroachment on public land," Korn-uma Pongnoi said.

She now plans to invite public prosecutors and Court of Appeals representatives this Sunday to a seminar, following the recent court verdict on her husband's case.

Earlier this week, Korn-uma led about 300 supporters to the public prosecutors' office in Bangkok's Ratchadaphisek area to protest against the verdict. The move took place in the wake of the Appeals Court's decision to let off the hook the man convicted by the lower court of being the mastermind behind Charoen's murder.

Charoen, who chaired the Bo Nok Conservation Group, was returning to his hometown in Prachuap Khiri Khan when two gunmen opened fire on him on June 21, 2004. Witnesses said that despite Charoen's plea for mercy, the gunmen shot him a number of times in the head, face and torso, as he got off a public bus from Bangkok.

He had been in the capital to testify to the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) in a case concerning a number of influential people, who were accused of encroaching on a vast plot of public land.

Witnesses identified Saneh Lekluan and Prachuab Hinkaew as the gunmen. The two suspects, who personally knew Charoen, told police that Thanu Hinkaew had hired them to carry out the killing. During interrogation, Thanu implicated Prachuap Khiri Khan Administrative Organisation councillor Manoch Hinkaew and a former kamnan, Chua Hinkaew.

Both Saneh and Prachuap died behind bars in 2006, before they had a chance to testify. In 2008, the Criminal Court convicted Thanu based on testimonies given during their lifetimes and the fact that Thanu stood to benefit if Charoen's campaign for transparency was unsuccessful. Chua and Manoch were found not guilty.

In a recent development that caused an uproar, the Court of Appeals decided to overturn the lower court's verdict last month. Without the presence of Saneh and Prachuab during the trial, the Court of Appeals decided to drop the conviction against Thanu.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-27

If the only witnesses against this guy are dead and never had a chance to testify then it would seem hard to get a legitimate conviction. I am however curious of the cause of death of both of these two ... seem a bit coincidental that the only two men who could tie this guy to the crime both died before they could testify.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 2

The law is an ass in Thailand and continues to display it's allegiance to interference.

Unfortunately all too true and more and more we see how PTP and the reds see departments like DSI and the courts in place to serve their purposes not dispense justice

The law is an ass in Thailand and continues to display it's allegiance to interference.

Unfortunately all too true and more and more we see how PTP and the reds see departments like DSI and the courts in place to serve their purposes not dispense justice

They take a dangerous course in doing this.

Thanks Doc N

What? It took someone six posts, to make a remark about "the reds" obscuring justice in Thailand?

Way too long! coffee1.gif

I was rather stunned it took so long .... a lot of people here are slipping up, or perhaps that man in Dubai has got to them - perhaps now they are deep in his pockets and never coming up again ..... biggrin.png

Time for lunch kids, gotta go

Edited by LomSak27

Thanks Doc N

What? It took someone six posts, to make a remark about "the reds" obscuring justice in Thailand?

I was rather stunned it took so long .... a lot of people here are slipping up, or perhaps that man in Dubai has got to them - perhaps now they are deep in his pockets and never coming up again ..... biggrin.png

Wouldn't it be amazing if the expats on Thaivisa could be neutral about politics in a country that is not their own. Should they look closely they will no doubt find their homeland is equally corrupt but just not so apparent.

Of course if you do not like aforementioned politics you could go live elsewhere, I'm sure you would be posting the same crap on expat forums about your new home within weeks. If fact you could return to your own country where you wouldn't get laid without large payments, probably be beaten up if you treated those ladies as you do Thai ladies, be unable to afford to drink like you do here, oh & find your meager pension means your as poor as a rice farmer.

If some Thai went to your country & started ripping it to pieces you would be up in arms about what a cheek they have, same applies here.

And guess what, you won't even be missed except by those normal Thaivisa readers who won't have to trawl through your crap comments to find sensible ones.

First: NO, my country is not as corrupt. Not by a wide margin!

Second: if a Thai would come to my country and rip it to shreds, I would a) have no problem with it, as in MY country we have freedom of speech and b ) ask him, if he is one of the 2/3rds in Thailand, who say, corruption is okay, if it benifits them.

Third: this is an international forum, so people from all over the place come here to discuss things. They may be inside or outside of Thailand, but they have an opinion and the right to have one.

Since I live in Thailand (and many here do), pay my taxes and call it "home", I take the right to criticize it on this forum...mainly because otherwise no Thai would listen to me.

As some of your like-minded friends might say: if don't like it- leave!

No Thai is listening to you. I thought this was a Thai forum...not an international forum?

• Like 1

Thanks Doc N

Wouldn't it be amazing if the expats on Thaivisa could be neutral about politics in a country that is not their own. Should they look closely they will no doubt find their homeland is equally corrupt but just not so apparent.

Of course if you do not like aforementioned politics you could go live elsewhere, I'm sure you would be posting the same crap on expat forums about your new home within weeks. If fact you could return to your own country where you wouldn't get laid without large payments, probably be beaten up if you treated those ladies as you do Thai ladies, be unable to afford to drink like you do here, oh & find your meager pension means your as poor as a rice farmer.

If some Thai went to your country & started ripping it to pieces you would be up in arms about what a cheek they have, same applies here.

And guess what, you won't even be missed except by those normal Thaivisa readers who won't have to trawl through your crap comments to find sensible ones.

I have seen this said many times here and i always cringe.. a poster here DOCn said something like check in at immigration.leave your free thinking behind,your opinions,your character...whatever... he said it much better than me.This if you dont like it go home S**** leaves me cold.Do you like dogs barking at 4 in the morning?The noise here?the double pricing?Of course not.Just better not to say anything?Maybe thats your style.people here with open minds on an open forum allowed to express themselves.I criticise many countries,systems,I was educated as a free thinker.Maybe you are from North Korea .just a guess..

• Like 1

If the only witnesses against this guy are dead and never had a chance to testify then it would seem hard to get a legitimate conviction. I am however curious of the cause of death of both of these two ... seem a bit coincidental that the only two men who could tie this guy to the crime both died before they could testify.

Yeah, odd that thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

First: NO, my country is not as corrupt. Not by a wide margin!

perhaps that man in Dubai has got to them - perhaps now they are deep in his pockets and never coming up again ..... biggrin.png

Second: if a Thai would come to my country and rip it to shreds, I would a) have no problem with it, as in MY country we have freedom of speech and b ) ask him, if he is one of the 2/3rds in Thailand, who say, corruption is okay, if it benifits them.

Third: this is an international forum, so people from all over the place come here to discuss things. They may be inside or outside of Thailand, but they have an opinion and the right to have one.

Since I live in Thailand (and many here do), pay my taxes and call it "home", I take the right to criticize it on this forum...mainly because otherwise no Thai would listen to me.

As some of your like-minded friends might say: if don't like it- leave!

No Thai is listening to you. I thought this was a Thai forum...not an international forum?

... Thai Visa Forum... I don't think any Thai's need a Visa to be here in Thailand (Unless they are here on another Countries Passport... Then why???) So point being made Visa's are for Visitors, Period! Then as point was made Visa's are used by Visitors an d Expats, whether they are in Country or back Home. This Forum was a way to keep in touch with issues, was it not? ( I believe if this was a THAI Forum it would be totally written in Thai...not English)

Some Peoples thought level is at times below 5th Grade mentality. (Even my 5th Grader saw this and thought he was smarter then the those posting some of the absurb coments here.)

• Like 1

OMG! yet again we see posters bringing anti red sentiment into posts that have nothing to do with the reds.