Sony Ebook Reader

gnazi71

Hello,

I would like to buy a Sony ebook reader PRS-T2 for my wife (she is thai), we live in Switzerland.

I wrote to the Sony customer support wondering if an e-reader bought in Switzerland will "read" e-books written in thai.

They answered they are not pretty sure and it is better to buy it in Thailand (it is a little more expensive, no problem).

In an italian forum someone told me that he bought the same device for his wife in Italy and can read thai e-books without problems.

Is there anybody who has some sure information ?

Anybody bought this device in Europe and reads e-books in thai (or any other non-latin language) ?

Thank you.

Sorry I can't answer your question but unless things have changed very recently I don't think the Sony e-readers are available for purchase in Thailand. I've seen Kindles and I believe there are various Chinese tablets but not Sony.

I would be very surprised if a reader couldn't read Thai books as it is not a computer as such and as far as I know merely displays the contents of files. If ebooks are available in Thai in epub format, which is what my Sony reader seems to prefer, I would have thought that it would read them no matter where it is bought.

Sorry I can't answer your question but unless things have changed very recently I don't think the Sony e-readers are available for purchase in Thailand. I've seen Kindles and I believe there are various Chinese tablets but not Sony.

I would be very surprised if a reader couldn't read Thai books as it is not a computer as such and as far as I know merely displays the contents of files. If ebooks are available in Thai in epub format, which is what my Sony reader seems to prefer, I would have thought that it would read them no matter where it is bought.

Actually, it IS a computer - albeit a simple, limited one - ebooks are stored digitally, not as images and have to be rendered for viewing. It will need to have a Thai font installed, just as any larger computer would. As long as it has that then it should work for Thai ePub books. I would assume that a reader bought in Thailand would have that as standard, outside Thailand...............???

Hello everybody !

Thank you for your replies.

A friend of mine who lives in Pattaya said he saw the Sony PRS-T2 at Tukcom.

I think we will buy it in Thailand so we won't have problems with thai e-books.

It costs a little more but ... better to be quite sure.

• 2 months later...