Poll: Expats, Do You Reckon That You Will Be Living In Thailand 10 Years From Now?

Jingthing

364 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GH, you may have mentioned this before and I missed it, but what do you mean by ... "go the way I fear they will in Thailand." ... how are you seeing the future of Thailand?

Bitter political splits, a main player who understands and uses the power of nationalism and the inevitable loss of the ships compass.

Thanks GH for replying ... I had a wee tap on the shoulder from another member ... I understand now.

No more need be said.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My ten year plan is to have the option to choose where I want to live. Essentially that's the finances to do so and with luck the good health too.

Home now is Thailand, 'back home' is the UK.

I have an inalienable right to live in the UK,something I might come to cherrish if things gonthe way I fear they will in Thailand.

So my ten year plan is not to burn bridges in either direction.

Wise words.

I'm happy in Thailand but I feel tht I'm tolerated and not accepted.

In the US, I can vote, own property in my own name and have rights under mostly impartial rule of law. Plus I don't have Russians cutting in front of me at 7-11 smile.png

• Like 1

I don't think I will be here in ten years, my parents are now in their seventies and will to be looked after within the next few years.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Some interesting answers.

This was my vote : "Probable that I will still be living in Thailand 10 years from now."

I can`t say for certain but that best fits.

I`m fairly happy here but things could change.

I do fancy later on splitting time between Thailand and other countries.

I`ve kept my property in the UK( rented out) so could go back if necessary/wanted.

I like Italy & Switzerland and very much enjoyed my short visits to both Cambodia and Laos.

I feel there is some more exploring left for me to do.

smile.png

I voted that I will not be living in Thailand in 10 years from now.

I moved to Thailand in 2002, and I still have my small hotel businesses and Thai family in Phuket. I don't like to sit at my hotels doing nothing all day, so I work as a teacher at international schools.

But lack of employment opportunities in Phuket forced me early last year to work away from home in Myanmar. I also worry about whether or not I will be able to get a job in the educational sector in Thailand when I reach 60, (unlike neighbouring countries which are more ameniable to employing older teachers).

I always imagined retiring to live in Laos, and now I have a new job in Luang Prabang as Principal of the international school. My young son can receive an international schooling for free. My sense is that this job will last a long time and see me through to retirement, (if that ever happens).

I have a $100 per month medical insurance policy, including evacuation from Myanmar/Laos/Cambodia to Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok in the event of serious illness or accident. If it's just a ruptured appendix, then I'll self-medicate...

Simon

Exchange rate is killing me so might have to move on. Was great here at 40 to the dollar but now it's not so cheap here.....and before someone says it....I'm not a cheap charlie or balloon chaser, have my own house, car, etc....

Edited by ross163103

Responding to JT's Post, there are alot of uncertainties with this new Obamacare plan, sure they can't refuse 'Pre existing conditions' but the cost of insurance is going to sky rocket, even the company I work for now in Califorina is downgrading their policy and upping the cost, making it so it's the same as just going out on 'E-insurance' and buying it there. No free ride anywhere anymore....

So, in other words, you're another hostage of the health care/health insurance industries, and making life decisions on that basis.

At present, fee based Thai health care costs are still cheaper then paying insurance premiums, deductibles and co-pays when you plop that insurance card down at the pay window.

Don't forget that if you are healthy about all the money you save by not paying an insurance company annually. Put that same amount into a 'health care' investment account, invest wisely, and you might have more than enough to cover the big one when and if it happens. Then you won't have some bureaucrat - or worse, some clerk - deciding what is and isn't going to be covered, or even worse, that they aren't going to cover it at all because after all, it was a pre-existing condition and you are stuck for the full cost, despite your insurance policy.

I read somewhere where 50% of most people's health care costs in old age are spent during the last year of one's life. When that time comes, do like doctors do - submit to the realities, live that last year to the fullest, but don't try to buy your way out.

Been here nearly 7 wonderful years. Am now 71 and concerned about my lack of health insurance but enjoying robust health so far. I expect to leave in an 'Urn' only. I don't think that I could easily return to UK. I am a PROBABLE.

I've been coming back to SE Asia, mostly Thailand since early 2002. I've had (opp's- she's had) a house in Udonthani for 5 1/2 years. Married 6 years, with the same woman for over 7 yrs. New Chevy Z71 (recently 'customized' by dump truck). I'm retired and will be 68 next month. I don't really plan in Thailand since all plans here tend go out the window immediately after they are made. But, I do try to anticipate the future. My health is pretty good, income fair (damn the USD/Thai baht). My major concerns are the health of my retirement incomes. I'm dependent on State and Local government pensions, Social Security and Veterans compensation which are all under attack by the right wing plutocrats and their partners in crime the repugthuglicans and cowardly demoRats. Of course medical is a concern. I have some coverage here, being married to a Thai I can use the government hospital, but don't know exactly how that works. Had I known about the Thai social security type plan I would have taken the offer to teach in one of the local schools I had several years ago, I come from a school teacher family, my mother taught for about 40 years, but I'm not too much like her, she was a kind and gentle person. To paraphrase an old SE Texass saying, Buddha willing and the waters don't rise (lord willin' and the crick don' rise) I'll be here until the time comes to pay the grim reaper. I haven't been back since 2010 and I have zero desire to ever return to the Corporate Police States of Amerika.

• Like 2

I'm 50/50. Bored with being "marginally-tolerated" but currently am enjoying my (good-woman) lady.

If we broke up, I wouldn't know where else to go - PI?, Lao?, Burma?...? I looked into Latin America 7 years ago before moving here and it didn't appeal to me. Stretching-out the monthly nickels so far....

If I am still drawing breath, (which is my considered desire) I shall certainly still be here. I have been here now 13 years, fully retired, with a wonderful Thai wife and lifestyle.

I have no intention, ever, of returning to the UK. My decision to retire here was after a holiday 13 years ago. I flew back into Manchester airport in March and got on a train to

go to South Yorkshire. It was cold, wet and I looked around at the miserable, pissed-off people scowling at everything; and I compared it with what I had enjoyed in a month in

Chiang Mai. I was a free agent, divorced, living alone and I made an instant decision, - I'll never spend another winter in Europe. After a year of being a 'snow bird' - I said what the

heck am I even going back to UK for, I sold up lock, stock and barrel and moved to CM. One of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. I will not be going back.

Had a similar experience recently, capped off by getting a chest infection as soon as I returned (to the UK). If it wasn't for the smog I would seriously be considering relocating to CM. However I wonder whether I would rather be stuck indoors some of the time in Thailand and wearing a simple mask when I go out, rather than being stuck indoors most of the time in the UK and having to wear about half a dozen layers of clothing when I venture out.

• Like 1

I have taken out an endowment medical insurance policy that expires when I am 70 years of age and as already observed, no one wants to insure you medical wise after that age. I will receive 1M baht, which I will bank and hope it will off-set the cost of any latter day medical costs, if not I might have to get "her indoors" to start selling some of our real estate, the income of which is really intended to support her when I have gone "to the pub in the sky" and there will only be a small residual income from the various pensions.

Well, it does look like the longest "Farewell to Thailand" one can imagine.

I will not be around in 10 years. Not a chance.

But if I were I would be still here. It's a nice place. And with a few improvements it would be a Paradise...smile.png

Thailand plus my own sense of what I expect from life , has changed greatly the last 15 odd years that I have been hear.

Currently spending time in Europe 25% and Thailand 75%, enjoy both and hope to get to 50 / 50 for the next few years.Perfect balance for me anyhow.

The same thing that drove me here will probably drive me away, sense of wanting adventure and experiencing new places.

In short I never Intended Thailand to be my home it just happened, its been very kind to me and I have grown in many ways for that I'm very thankful, it has drove me nuts also :)

Whatever happens and where ever I end up, Thailand will always be in my very soul and part of who I am.

What is your exit plan JT?

I would prefer to stay. However, I can't really buy decent health insurance here so that's the key factor for me. In the long run it seems like a decent chance I will either repatriate to the USA where it is now possible to get health care coverage (and at 65 which I will have reached in 10 years) USA Medicare. I am also interested in a few Latin American countries where I understand there are better options for obtaining health care even buying into government systems for retired expats. I am not old enough for these Latin American countries YET as not yet of pension age. The biggest thing chasing me from Thailand is the lack of access to health insurance for preexisting conditions AND the outrageous medical cost inflation and the shabby exploitative treatment of foreigners in the cost structure here. When I first moved here I thought the retail costs for health care were OK (and also quite frankly I had been misinformed about the health insurance access situation here) but now it is not OK and surely it will only get WORSE. I am doing my best to stay healthy but as we get older, you know the score. I voted 50/50 but after writing this post, I think its more honest to change my vote to probably leaving. Oh well!

How could you think the US even with health insurance is more affordable. Best decision of my life was to go to Thailand for surgery. My out of pocket cost here would have been $18,000 plus ( 70K estimated cost), in less pleasing conditions, 29% chance of getting staph etc. etc. Over there full cost, full stay, in private room was $4700 and of the 8 people I know that had similar surgery to me here in the states, all have issues and 5 of them are fighting staph. They get you here with 20% and insurance cost for the 80% supposedly is out rageous and going higher every day. Give me Thailand any day for health care. They want to address the problem not build the bill as they do here in the states. I went to Bumrungrad....anything but shabby.

Edited by CBPMSM

Thailand will never suit me long term just because of the lack of employment options,how can a forward thinking country not allow being self-employed or working on the internet at home?

I voted the grumpy ex-pat just because it was there but really my answer is I definitely won't be here in 10 years,the whole keep the farang poor and make him run borders every 60-90 days rubbish makes no sens, when all the surrounding countries are doing their utmost to attract long-term residents.
It honestly makes me wonder why anyone would spend more than a year or two in Thailand actually,even the beaches are horribly overcrowded usually with petrol-laden water due to speedboats and jetskis and covered with sunbeds and umbrellas.It really is South-East Asia's answer to Benidorm but I do like the imported Western food and drinks here!

As for the price of new and second-hand cars,what a total and utter joke!bah.gif

What is your exit plan JT?

I would prefer to stay. However, I can't really buy decent health insurance here so that's the key factor for me. In the long run it seems like a decent chance I will either repatriate to the USA where it is now possible to get health care coverage (and at 65 which I will have reached in 10 years) USA Medicare. I am also interested in a few Latin American countries where I understand there are better options for obtaining health care even buying into government systems for retired expats. I am not old enough for these Latin American countries YET as not yet of pension age. The biggest thing chasing me from Thailand is the lack of access to health insurance for preexisting conditions AND the outrageous medical cost inflation and the shabby exploitative treatment of foreigners in the cost structure here. When I first moved here I thought the retail costs for health care were OK (and also quite frankly I had been misinformed about the health insurance access situation here) but now it is not OK and surely it will only get WORSE. I am doing my best to stay healthy but as we get older, you know the score. I voted 50/50 but after writing this post, I think its more honest to change my vote to probably leaving. Oh well!

JT...I hear that Cuba has great medical bennies! BTW I have PR...so I guess I'm here for the long haul...come what may.

Kinda reminds me of an old song by the Floaters...Float On...Hmmmmmm!

I find that with Thailand, it's really difficult to make plans. Perhaps we'll still be here in 10 years, perhaps we'll get bored or perhaps we won't be welcome. I think that the latter will be the one that counts.

His majesty the King reigns over subject who truly love him. Apart from the royal family, nationalism is perhaps the only thing the people here have to hold on to, already xenophobia can be seen everywhere.

Nationalism may be the thing that will decide if any of us are still here in 10 years time.

• Like 1

I can't wait to leave this filthy [in so many levels] country. After doing time here for the company I work for I'll leave Thailand for the elderly male expats.

You are "Doing Time" for a company that does business in a filthy country?

Sorry to tell you, but this makes you filthy too. you should reconsider your situation...

• Like 1

Voted i will be still here in 10 years,if good health.I have private medical but that wont last for ever, i am 61 tomorrow,very good health but one never knows

Happy Birthday, hope you had a good celebration. May you enjoy good health in the years ahead.

I can't wait to leave this filthy [in so many levels] country. After doing time here for the company I work for I'll leave Thailand for the elderly male expats.

I am widely traveled yet rather surprised that you highlight Thailand as being notably filthy. It certainly has its filthy spots but I would not have regarded it as particularly filthy. Perhaps your comment was about moral behaviour. Do I detect that you have some malice towards elderly male expats.

• Like 2