Death Of U S Citizens In Thailand By Non-Natural Causes

webfact

What about the deaths of "natural causes"? Maybe not so natural.

I don't like to see any foreigner die here but the stats could show declining numbers in Americans interested in Thailand.

Edited by Markaew

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was someone blaming Thais? As for motorbike deaths, take a look at the statistic for Ozzie and Brit deaths on motorbikes since they outnumber Americans by a large amount. Motorbike riding is a risk anywhere, but especially in SEA.

Probably proportional. There are fewer Americans here.

Interesting to note that of the 26 motorcycle accidents listed, only one was in Bangkok. Seems the 'herd mentality' is a good thing in regards to riding in the city - don't stray from what everyone else is doing. You could conclude that being out in the provinces what with the lower population density is conducive to foolhardiness.

Tie this in with the stats from a previous thread that there were no(?) serious accidents reported in either Chonburi or Phuket over this past Songkran. Seems maybe there are unwritten rules that expats learn to follow in the major farang centers of Pattaya, Phuket and BKK... perhaps the network of whiteys allows them to clue in one another on how to carry one's self on the road here, or maybe avoid it altogether.

Actually there were 25 deaths listed for 2012 and only 8 were from motorcycle accidents. The other 17 were from other causes.

Edited by aguy30

Some really uneducated and pointless responses. Who is to say it was the fault of the deceased? Are they guilty just because they died? And just how was that conclusion made? Critical ignorance I guess.

As a famous Detective once said, "Just stick to the facts Mam, just the facts"!

Sure are a lot of vehicle accidents. Americans possibly forgetting which side of the road to drive on.

Hmm, possible. I have never seen a Thai on a motorbike going the wrong way on the road. Nice try. smile.png

All this proves is that some Americans can't ride motorbikes properly.

It proves nothing of the sort.

To him it does. He also thinks high-rise suicides prove that Americans can't fly properly...

• Like 1

Conclusions by the geriatric TV bunch are again drawn on assumption of unstated facts. A topic like this sure draws the idiots into the open. It isn't any wonder that Thais think farang are stupid.

So your a young buck eh. Glad your here to keep us oldies in line. thumbsup.gif Well done that man. coffee1.gif

Were all these Motorcycle & Auto (CAR) accidents Drinking & Driving caused???

12-20-2012 Rawai, Mueang Phuket, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

12-16-2012 A. Muang, Kamphaeng Phet, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Auto

11-26-2012 Bangkok, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

11-23-2012 Koh Samui, Surat Thani, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

11-19-2012 A. Wichianburi, Phetchabun, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

11-14-2012 A. Muang, Chiang Mai, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

09-10-2012 Mueang Kanchanaburi, Kanchanaburi, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

07-20-2012 Kathu, Phuket, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

04-21-2012 Hua Hin, Prachuap Khirikhan, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

04-15-2012 Muang, Nong Khai, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Auto

Conclusions by the geriatric TV bunch are again drawn on assumption of unstated facts. A topic like this sure draws the idiots into the open. It isn't any wonder that Thais think farang are stupid.

So your a young buck eh. Glad your here to keep us oldies in line. thumbsup.gif Well done that man. coffee1.gif

Thanks for the recognition. Just wondering how many of your 16,836 posts would be applicable to my previous comment?

BTW, do you proof read what you post and are you Canadian?

Driving on the wrong side of the road is one thing that worried me before i moved to BKK. But having the steering wheel on the wrong, I mean right side is a constant reminder that one should be be driving on the wrong, i mean left side of the road. i never once drove on the wrong side or drove drunk in my year in BKK. i could see how on a scooter one mihjt drive on the wrong side bit my guess is that those who did and were in an accident provably had a few drinks under their belts.

Were all these Motorcycle & Auto (CAR) accidents Drinking & Driving caused???

12-20-2012 Rawai, Mueang Phuket, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

12-16-2012 A. Muang, Kamphaeng Phet, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Auto

11-26-2012 Bangkok, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

11-23-2012 Koh Samui, Surat Thani, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

11-19-2012 A. Wichianburi, Phetchabun, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

11-14-2012 A. Muang, Chiang Mai, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

09-10-2012 Mueang Kanchanaburi, Kanchanaburi, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

07-20-2012 Kathu, Phuket, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

04-21-2012 Hua Hin, Prachuap Khirikhan, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

Check this out: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/634877-things-we-learned-from-songkran-accident-statistics/

Given number of American here riding bikes, 3 per month isn't exceptional.The number of Thais would be far higher, even per 1,000. I've been riding a bike for 10 years in Chiang Mai, I've never had any accidents, even close shaves are negligible, I always where a helmet, always pay attention, never ride more than 70km usually.

I NEVER ride more than 70 km USUALLY. blink.png

Someone brought a good point. You dont have to be driving on the wrong side or drunk to be invilved in an accident,either in thailand or anywhere else for that matter.

Excuse the typos. For typimg on a smart phone this website hurls chunks.

Hear, hear!!

All this proves is that some Americans can't ride motorbikes properly. If Americans moved to UK they'd buy a car, but here they buy a motorbike. That explains almost all the deaths. From what I've read, many of these deaths are because they were drunk and/or not wearing helmets. This is more about the type of people that get killed not that it's anything to do with Thailand. They should be grown up enough that they know they should take lessons before riding a bike, and also wear a helmet and not drive after drinking alcohol. Blame the Americans not the Thais.

Many tourists, American or otherwise, come to Thailand and rent motorcycles, with no experience or qualifications. Maybe a motorcycle attachment, to one's license, should be required for rental. After all, it is the law in Thailand.

As far as SEA being less safe than "Western" countries, I believe it's actually safer than many; much safer than North America. Here, the bikes are less powerful, the speeds are usually lower, and, more importantly, bikes are an expected mix in the traffic. In North America, motorcyclists are all but invisible to motorists.

Sure are a lot of vehicle accidents. Americans possibly forgetting which side of the road to drive on.

Before venturing an opinion, I'd have to see the stats on Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, and other nationalities who drive on left at home ... and the number of each who visit Thailand.

All this proves is that some Americans can't ride motorbikes properly. If Americans moved to UK they'd buy a car, but here they buy a motorbike. That explains almost all the deaths. From what I've read, many of these deaths are because they were drunk and/or not wearing helmets. This is more about the type of people that get killed not that it's anything to do with Thailand. They should be grown up enough that they know they should take lessons before riding a bike, and also wear a helmet and not drive after drinking alcohol. Blame the Americans not the Thais.

No what it really proves is this fact: " Thailand ranks worst in the world for motorbike and two-wheeler casualties, with more than 11,000 motorbike drivers or passengers dying annually. Official statistics suggest such incidents account for 70% of the country's road fatalities." here is the link to the article in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/2012/may/15/thailand-head-start-road-safety

Interesting idea. Americans are driving a rover around on Mars right now, pretty hard to believe they cannot figure out which side of the road to drive on in Thailand......
The "rover" is radio controlled from Earth... perhaps if all westerner who drink and drive were given remote controlled wheelchairs there would be fewer accidents!

Why do so many of these topics turn into a country bashing or state assumptions that are totally fact less. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but please don't state it as fact. A comment like "this just proves Americans don't know how to how to ride motorcycles" or alluding to the fact that Americans forget what side of the road to ride on is just ridiculous. That's paramount to saying the drowning victims forgot how to swim.

I just visited some of the info put out by the British Embassy. I am not Brit bashing but trying to show some perspective and that accidents are accidents and not because of the country one hails from.

"According to the FCO, traffic laws, road and vehicle conditions and,

particularly, local driving habits can make driving overseas very

different from conditions in the home country. For example, Thailand,

permanent home to 50,000 British expats and destination for 870,00

tourists annually, had a reported 68,582 incidents causing 9,205 deaths

in 2011 as against 1,901 fatalities in the UK."

They go on to say that the most dangerous countries for Brits are Australia, Thailand and Spain! Now I assume from some of the posts that most believe Brits know how to ride motorcycles, and they are used to driving on the left side of the road and know how to use roundabouts. Certainly there are no facts available that more accidents happen in home countries and that driving in Thailand is more dangerous than the U.S.

What you have quoted there are the total road traffic deaths in Thailand compared to these in the Uk. I think you believed these to be British deaths in Thailand since you got the information from the British Embassy site. So, totally bogus I am afraid.

Why no names? Surely it would be better to list the names so that people who read the list and know of omissions can notify the relevant authority?

I wonder how many Thai families are still picking up the pension payments years after their American benefactors death?.

What that has to do with the names been published on the open forum.

Since the list is compiled by the US departement of state. I assume they know the names.

Has it occurred to you that there may be names missing from the list?

An average of two per month. The bottom listing was a suicide in my town and on my 60th b'day. Wish I had met the guy and we could have spoken prior. ....same for others who contemplate suicide. Depression happens. I feel myself sinking there sometimes. One thing I do is; self-counseling. Essentially: no one controls my thoughts but me (there's more to it, but 'nuff for now).

Also, I could have been one of those statistics. On Feb.5 this year I fell 20 ft. through a roof on to a cement slab. fractured both wrists and broke a heel bone. Still recovering. Could easily been curtains.

Sorry to hear Maidu, hope you are on the mend now. Stay well, and you have some support and friends here if you ever need them. Sorry for the off topic reply to other OP's.

• Like 1

Many tourists, American or otherwise, come to Thailand and rent motorcycles, with no experience or qualifications. Maybe a motorcycle attachment, to one's license, should be required for rental. After all, it is the law in Thailand.

As far as SEA being less safe than "Western" countries, I believe it's actually safer than many; much safer than North America. Here, the bikes are less powerful, the speeds are usually lower, and, more importantly, bikes are an expected mix in the traffic. In North America, motorcyclists are all but invisible to motorists.

Might be true, but atleast we don't drive against traffic on the side of the road....... So many times I get the "Squeeze Play" from both sides. What ever happened to the 2000b fine? Big media attention/hype..still no change....

Sorry for the off topic reply to other OP's.

Edited by BigSkip