Thai Education Minister Calls On All Sectors To Help Solve Student Brawls

webfact

Education minister calls on all sectors to help solve student brawls

BANGKOK, 30 April 2013 (NNT) – Education Minister Pongthep Thepkanchana has called on all sectors to pitch into the effort of solving student brawls, and suggests that those who commit severe offense be expelled from their place of study.

Mr. Pongthep yesterday attended a meeting held to find proactive strategies to prevent and solve the problem of brawls among students of vocational schools, and said afterward that much of the problem stemmed from the younger students having been misled by their seniors at school or their friends, who were not even attending school.

He indicated that the picking of fights with students of other schools was somewhat a belief that has been passed down to the juniors over the years.

Minister Pongthep said students must be made aware of punishments in order to deter them from committing the offense. He gave as example, expulsion from the school.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-30 footer_n.gif

They should start within their own schools. Students have fights and no one can ask them why the fight was started because of "face". Try changing that standard first. The students know they can get away with fighting and not have to explain it.

Edited by Markaew

Aren't they guilty of assault? It's one thing to have a scrap in school, but that in and of itself can become a serious issue, but if you take weapons, such as knives or guns to an interschool fight, why do these plonkers need to be treated any differently from normal crimminals. Lock em up. Simple.

• Like 2

"...and suggest that those who commit severe offenses be expelled from their place of study."

Hm, isn't that a little harsh?

Why no just transfer them to an inactive post?

If that sort of "punishment" is adequate enough for adults, then it certainly also is for unruly youngsters.

• Like 1

suggests that those who commit severe offense be expelled from their place of study.

Just expell them? How about prosecution and jail time for crimes committed.

Publishing their photo and names in the media would also go a long way to help curb this stupidity. Name and shame.

But this is Thailand, so I won't hold my breath.

The solutions to many Thai problems are so simple, if only the authorities would actually act and do something, rather than the usual lip service.

It would seem that Education Minister Pongthep Thepkanchana has been rendered sterile and relegated to the rank of cheerleader in a lopsided contest, where his team is so far behind that the other team has their freshmen on the pitch.

There are more than likely many plausible solutions, but the real problem is downloading that information into the Thai mind and engaging it on startup; of which has yet to happen. Google "Low Spatial Abilities"

Why do you think that destroying the lives of children who have made a mistake will help you or the country? Children are the next generation who should be taught to get on with others and not locked away and made to pay for a crime, by not being able to get employment, for the rest of their lives. Help people, not hate them!

Why do you think that destroying the lives of children who have made a mistake will help you or the country? Children are the next generation who should be taught to get on with others and not locked away and made to pay for a crime, by not being able to get employment, for the rest of their lives. Help people, not hate them!

It really depends on the crimes the young people have done. Doesn't it.

I would also make sure the teachers at the colleges did NOT graduate from said college. Some have been known to escalate things.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Our crimes were punished by the school in my day. Friday afternoon physical detention, Saturday 0 3 hours detention at the mercy of the Master who issued the detention (maths was a bitch - doing maths for 3 hours can bring you undone...), and of course there was the cane. But in these pussy human rights deals these days, no beatings and none f the results. Did us no harm, taught us about discipline, and made better lads of us.

I loved the line - consider expelling them - that should be mandatory.

It really depends on the crimes the young people have done. Doesn't it.

I would also make sure the teachers at the colleges did NOT graduate from said college. Some have been known to escalate things.

Of course it does but i thought that the post was referring to fighting? That is what i posted about - however I do believe that kids and teens should be treated differently from adults and allowed to correct their lifestyles and not hung high!

Give me a break,"get on with others" some of these guys are carrying guns,how would they be treated in your home country.Agreed some crimes of the youth you can turn a blind eye to,but sometimes when these "kiddies" go to bat people die.It's always fine if someone else loses their children.Everybody give me a big Mai Pen Rai.

• Like 1

Why do you think that destroying the lives of children who have made a mistake will help you or the country? Children are the next generation who should be taught to get on with others and not locked away and made to pay for a crime, by not being able to get employment, for the rest of their lives. Help people, not hate them!It really depends on the crimes the young people have done. Doesn't it.I would also make sure the teachers at the colleges did NOT graduate from said college. Some have been known to escalate things.Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6Of course it does but i thought that the post was referring to fighting? That is what i posted about - however I do believe that kids and teens should be treated differently from adults and allowed to correct their lifestyles and not hung high!

I agree to a point. But some of these guys are actually making guns and machetes In school. As far as I'm concerned any one over 18 is an adult. Can vote. Can join the Army. Can drive. Can go to jail!

• Like 1

Give me a break,"get on with others" some of these guys are carrying guns,how would they be treated in your home country.Agreed some crimes of the youth you can turn a blind eye to,but sometimes when these "kiddies" go to bat people die.It's always fine if someone else loses their children.Everybody give me a big Mai Pen Rai.
I didn't say turn a "blind eye too" I said help! Most come from maladjusted parents so maybe some help might correct their ways. As for guns that's a very small number but pretty large in the states

Why do you think that destroying the lives of children who have made a mistake will help you or the country? Children are the next generation who should be taught to get on with others and not locked away and made to pay for a crime, by not being able to get employment, for the rest of their lives. Help people, not hate them!It really depends on the crimes the young people have done. Doesn't it.I would also make sure the teachers at the colleges did NOT graduate from said college. Some have been known to escalate things.Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6Of course it does but i thought that the post was referring to fighting? That is what i posted about - however I do believe that kids and teens should be treated differently from adults and allowed to correct their lifestyles and not hung high!

I agree to a point. But some of these guys are actually making guns and machetes In school. As far as I'm concerned any one over 18 is an adult. Can vote. Can join the Army. Can drive. Can go to jail!

If they are making making guns and machetes In school shouldn't that be the fault of the teaching staff? Put them <deleted>**ers in jail

If they are making making guns and machetes In school shouldn't that be the fault of the teaching staff? Put them <deleted>**ers in jail

My colleague saw primary school kids on Sukhumvit chasing each other around with machetes late last year. There is something seriously wrong with a culture when that can happen