Question Re: The Russian Invasion

patsfangr

Well personally I don't make guesses when I know sweet FA about someone, but hell, that's just me.

You say I "trash" it - when all I have done is make factual comments based on things that can be seen there every day. The grey water IS currently running down the main road. The fruit stall - the biggest in CB by far - that the grey water stream starts from IS considerably more expensive than the equivalent in, say, Pattaya Tai. When the detritus isn't cleaned away from the high water line, it DOES accumulate there. You don't eat at restaurants, but tell me all I have to do is drive somewhere to go and eat elsewhere? Well unsurprisingly, it's nice to have a good place to eat within walking distance as well as favourites some way away.

I'm glad you find the food carts acceptable. I agree that is a matter of opinion. Mine, and that of virtually all the Thais that have bought from them for me and themselves, is that they are poor to average.

By the way I don't "hate" the place. I simply much prefer (to live in) genuinely Thai areas, with truly cosmopolitan expat populations, and away from the main tourist drags, especially when dominated by one nationality or another. Hence my original reference to the Spanish Costas and their drunken British invaders of thirty plus years ago.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well personally I don't make guesses when I know sweet FA about someone, but hell, that's just me.

You say I "trash" it - when all I have done is make factual comments based on things that can be seen there every day. The grey water IS currently running down the main road. The fruit stall - the biggest in CB by far - that the grey water stream starts from IS considerably more expensive than the equivalent in, say, Pattaya Tai. When the detritus isn't cleaned away from the high water line, it DOES accumulate there. You don't eat at restaurants, but tell me all I have to do is drive somewhere to go and eat elsewhere? Well unsurprisingly, it's nice to have a good place to eat within walking distance as well as favourites some way away.

I'm glad you find the food carts acceptable. I agree that is a matter of opinion. Mine, and that of virtually all the Thais that have bought from them for me and themselves, is that they are poor to average.

By the way I don't "hate" the place. I simply much prefer (to live in) genuinely Thai areas, with truly cosmopolitan expat populations, and away from the main tourist drags, especially when dominated by one nationality or another. Hence my original reference to the Spanish Costas and their drunken British invaders of thirty plus years ago.

Let's get this straight, I made an educated guess based on what you posted.

Let's have a look at it again, because by the sounds of it you've forgotten.

This is what you offered as your first post on this thread:

"Back on topic... I'm just moving from Cosy Beach to Khao Talo mainly because it feels like a Russian enclave there now. The few remaining Brit outposts - such as Richard's Wishing Well, or Alan's Tavern - are virtually deserted except for the occasional, and often obnoxious, Russian that wanders in, probably by mistake. And probably the last half a dozen or so Brit expats in the whole of CB, who wander in occasionally to commiserate with each other about how much the place has changed for the worse"

You sound like a guy who hates Russians and misses your Brit buddies. Who wouldn't come to this conclusion after reading your post.

I've never chosen a place to live based on the restaurants close by. I always travel to eat out. Each to their own.

I didn't know Cosy Beach when it was a British enclave as I've only lived here for just over 2 years, but I'm happy about that. At least I can't understand the Russians, should they be moaning.

That big fruit stall is overpriced in general, but you can also find fruit there for the same price as along Pattaya Tai. You just have to know the prices and bargain with them. They will bargain - I do it all the time.

Edited by tropo

Well if it was an "educated guess", we clearly didn't attend the same educational establishments. Seeing as you weren't even close to 'guessing' my pov. So don't bother, next time. You just waste your time and mine. Because I compared CB to a Russian enclave, and mentioned that often obnoxious Russians go to the likes of the Wishing Well, permits you to conclude that I "hate Russians" and "miss Brits"? You need to revise your critical thinking methods, because the latter simply doesn't follow from the former. Ask the (Thai) WW staff what they think of a sizeable proportion of the Russian customers. Don't take my word for it. These largely poorly educated Russians often have a manner that can offend. That doesn't mean all Russians are the same, just a fair number of those on cheap package holidays from Siberia. Just as I criticised the lager-lout Brits on cheap drinking holidays on the Spanish Costas (something you conveniently forgot).

Logically if there are good places to eat nearby as well as within driving distance, it's a better option than only having restaurants you can drive to. There simply is no disputing that, so stop arguing just for the sake of it.

And as for prices CB is no different to anywhere else with a captive, newbie tourist customer base. They start from higher prices, whereas in non-tourist areas you don't have the hassle driving them down to sensible levels. In CB they just happen to be Russian.

Apologies for daring to criticise the place where you have chosen to live, but I have mostly pointed out incontrovertible facts about the place. Fortunately I didn't buy there, so it was easy to move on to somewhere much more agreeable.

Logically if there are good places to eat nearby as well as within driving distance, it's a better option than only having restaurants you can drive to. There simply is no disputing that, so stop arguing just for the sake of it.

Why would I dispute this for the sake of argument? The quality of nearby restaurants is a non issue when I'm looking for a good place to stay therefore I do not prescribe to your logic. I live in a quiet street with no restaurants at all - that's how I prefer it.

Either way, it's a silly thing to argue when you're living in the heart of Pattaya. There's 100's of restaurants no more than 5 minutes away...if restaurants are you major concern. At least you won't have to worry about beaches in your new locale.

Edited by Rimmer

I had some friends just come back from Kanchanaburi and they said many were there. It's not just Thailand, quite a few countries are experiencing this also. I was in Egypt last year and many were there also. I've also read Vietnam has many visiting there.

Even Cambodia.

• 6 months later...

I had some friends just come back from Kanchanaburi and they said many were there. It's not just Thailand, quite a few countries are experiencing this also. I was in Egypt last year and many were there also. I've also read Vietnam has many visiting there.

Being so close to Siberia helps a lot - with direct flights. They're closer than most of the rest of us so it's not surprising they like to come here.
I have a Russian friend who works here. He said there are flights as low as $550 including hotel for a week from Russia and various surrounding countries. That's quite cheap!!
"Russian friend"...Isn't that an oxymoron? tongue.png

Today I went to Big C to buy a pair of pants. Inside the shop I was waiting for my turn in the changing room.

Then a young couple approached me and started talking to me in Russian without even ask me if I spoke the language . My answer was I speak English , the universal language. Then complete silence from the Russian couple. It was like I never existed, no point in trying to communicate with them. Now this would never happened if it was Italians,Scandinavians or French, at least they would try to understand me.

One of the reasons why I try to avoid Russians, do they really think all white skinned people in Pattaya speaks Russian?

This is not the first time I have been in a situation like this.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo

Today I went to Big C to buy a pair of pants. Inside the shop I was waiting for my turn in the changing room. Then a young couple approached me and started talking to me in Russian without even ask me if I spoke the language . My answer was I speak English , the universal language. Then complete silence from the Russian couple. It was like I never existed, no point in trying to communicate with them. Now this would never happened if it was Italians,Scandinavians or French, at least they would try to understand me. One of the reasons why I try to avoid Russians, do they really think all white skinned people in Pattaya speaks Russian? This is not the first time I have been in a situation like this. Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes it happened several times to me as well and all over Pattaya.

Saw a Russian speaking man in Tuk.com today and he was having a real hard time asking about an item he was interested in, lol.

Went to a restaurant on Naklua road the other day, a big Thai one, only menus in Thai and Russian so I walked and found one next door with English written menu.

Even on my last border run a while ago I saw a lot of Russians but thankfully not in the mini bus I was using, think they go in an all Russian mini bus.

For some odd reason all Russian women above 45-50 year of age absolutely have to wear skin thigh clothes despite they have a body form like a bag of potatoes, disgusting bah.gif

I sure can live without them but I think we all can agree that some of the young Russian ladies looks very beautiful and make a nice contrast to the also beautiful Thai Ladies wink.png

Strong presence in Sihanoukville Cambodia with big money that some believe is Russian mafia money

.. do they really think all white skinned people in Pattaya speaks Russian?

Yes!

They are genuinly surprised people here don't speak and understand Russian, they even expect Thais to understand Russian. They often think Thais dont respond to Russian on purpose, out of spite. I know this, because I often here them discussing it.

Don't forget, majority of Russian tourists here are from Siberia, what used to be industrial cities in Soviet times, Novosibirsk, Habarovsk and similar.

People from Moscow and St Petersburg are nothing like the Russians we see here.

I am Estonian, my home town Tallinn has 40% Russian population, relocated to my country to work in factories in Soviet years. Russians who live closer to Europe are very different from Siberians. Main difference, they speak and understand English.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by valgehiir