Question Re: The Russian Invasion

patsfangr

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Brits charter flight holidays to Europe, Mallorca, Tenerife etc. all the time, why not Pattaya, Pattaya could do with a younger English speaking crowds. Thailand on the cheap would be quite a sell.

Was tried to Phuket and died a death, 12+ hours on a charter flight..............

These are chartered flights. I'm guessing sold by tour companies in Russia. Same as the junkets the brits take to the south of Spain and the Americans take to Mexico and the Caribbean???

Those are chartered flights of course. But still: "Affluent" Russians have their domicile in Moscow or other big "economic-hubs". Few of them are located in Sibiria.

A flight from Moscow is not that much farher away than from Frankfurt. This in combination with a 1 week stay at a Pattaya Hotel and all for 500 Euro !? Who could possibly make any money at such a price. Are those Charter-Planes getting their kerosene for free?

To me: Someone is sponsoring those deals. The russian or the thai-side? I can only guess.

Cheers.

Yes, Mexican food is exciting. coffee1.gif

(Obviously not the fake Mexican crap they have in Pattaya. With Mexican domination they would open their own restaurants. !Ay Caramba!)

I don't dislike Russians.

I dislike their DOMINATION.

If they were 20 percent of the high season market rather than 55 percent, you wouldn't hear a peep from me.

I didn't plan to move to Jomtienski, if you get my drift.

Whatever you do, don't move to Cosy Beach. It'll kill you.laugh.png

It's the cleanest beach in Pattaya/Jomtien. I wonder why? Were Russians complaining about beach trash?

No trash on the beach - not a scrap. You'll still see the odd item floating in with the tide though.

I was at Cosy Beach today, I saw a Russian guy with a hand full of rubbish looking for a rubbish bin, I have never seen a Thai do that ever.

There was more cellulite than I cared to see in one day, other than that, no issues & we had a fun day.

Russians are tourists first & foremost, not aliens from a dark distant planet, give them a break sometimes.

Don't use the Indian ratio where 99% ruin it for the rest.................

• Like 1

Funny how some think that their creed are somehow more entitled to visit or live in Thailand than those of another creed, when in fact we are all guests in the Kingdom and none of us are preferred over those from other countries. The Thais prefer those guests that are looser with the baht and don't cause problems.

Having said that, I have met genuinely nice folks in Thailand from just about every corner of the planet. By the same token, I've met some real stinkers too. At the end of the day, it's all mai bpen rai.

67 posts before the most sensible one, wise words Loptr, wise words!

I'm in the thick of the Russian tourist population at Cosy Beach. Probably at least 90% of tourists in this area these days. 99% Russian down on the beach. Everything is signed in Russian... and I also spend a lot of time at Central shopping mall which is nearly all Russian too. Even my gym is becoming more Russian by the day....

Yes, the "Russians are coming".

So what?

It's a drag in Pattaya because it is watering down the overall international DIVERSITY of the city. Domination by any one international group would do that. Many people are attracted to Pattaya for its flavor as an international city in Thailand. A Russian city in Thailand, not as attractive unless you're a monolingual Russian speaker ...

"International flavor" - is that code for cheap prostitutes?

Funny how some think that their creed are somehow more entitled to visit or live in Thailand than those of another creed, when in fact we are all guests in the Kingdom and none of us are preferred over those from other countries. The Thais prefer those guests that are looser with the baht and don't cause problems.

Having said that, I have met genuinely nice folks in Thailand from just about every corner of the planet. By the same token, I've met some real stinkers too. At the end of the day, it's all mai bpen rai.

67 posts before the most sensible one, wise words Loptr, wise words!

+1

Good and bad people from every country in the world.

More young Russian native speakers now also speak some English thus more open to speak with English speaking people which is good.

Yes, Mexican food is exciting. coffee1.gif

(Obviously not the fake Mexican crap they have in Pattaya. With Mexican domination they would open their own restaurants. !Ay Caramba!)

I don't dislike Russians.

I dislike their DOMINATION.

If they were 20 percent of the high season market rather than 55 percent, you wouldn't hear a peep from me.

I didn't plan to move to Jomtienski, if you get my drift.

Whatever you do, don't move to Cosy Beach. It'll kill you.laugh.png

It's the cleanest beach in Pattaya/Jomtien. I wonder why? Were Russians complaining about beach trash?

No trash on the beach - not a scrap. You'll still see the odd item floating in with the tide though.

I was at Cosy Beach today, I saw a Russian guy with a hand full of rubbish looking for a rubbish bin, I have never seen a Thai do that ever.

There was more cellulite than I cared to see in one day, other than that, no issues & we had a fun day.

Russians are tourists first & foremost, not aliens from a dark distant planet, give them a break sometimes.

Don't use the Indian ratio where 99% ruin it for the rest.................

I often see Thais looking for and disposing of trash in rubbish bins. There's a lot of them, this being Thailand and all, so the lazy ones are giving the others a bad name.

Someone is picking up the trash at Cosy Beach, and I don't believe it is the Russians.

That's ridiculous. Nobody has said Russians aren't "entitled" to visit or live in Thailand (subject to Thai immigration of course).

We are not guests in the Kingdom. Where do people get that daft idea? Look up the definition of guest.

The issue I have discussed here is there is a big flavor change with a demographic DOMINATION of any one group, and a specific flavor change is obvious as well depending on which demographic group that is, in this case Russians.

I find it hilarious the non-locals who have strong opinions about this. How would they know? They are welcome to their opinions of course, but informed by what? If you don't LIVE here, you really have a limited understanding of what is happening here.

Edited by Jingthing

We are not guests in the Kingdom. Where do people get that daft idea? Look up the definition of guest.

That's true. I have to pay for everything while I'm here, so I'm definitely not a guest. Most people will be tolerated as long as they're able to pay.smile.png

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Why are Russian charter flights so cheap??

One reason is the 2 hrs of flight time they save over western Europe, but the bigger advantage is cheaper fuel, I assume.

Diesel and gasoline at the pumps there is only just over half the price from EU countries, if that's an indicator.

That's true. I have to pay for everything while I'm here, so I'm definitely not a guest. Most people will be tolerated as long as they're able to pay.smile.png

I use the term guest as we can be asked to leave at any time by our hosts. Visitors and expats for the most part do not have permanent residency, so we are guests of the Thai government, given permission to stay or extension to stay based on some criteria. Tolerated or not, what term would you use to describe your continued permission to stay in the country?

I would reply to JT but I'm afraid his head will burst into fire. smile.png

LOL. Just as I was starting to find the Russians quite tolerable I discovered how unpleasant they can be down at the gym. They certainly don't make for a very pleasant training environment.

LOL. Just as I was starting to find the Russians quite tolerable I discovered how unpleasant they can be down at the gym. They certainly don't make for a very pleasant training environment.

Please elaborate.

They don't understand the concept of sharing equipment and give you the evil eye when you try to work in. They make no attempt at basic communication... not even gestures.

Training at the gym with Russians is a fairly new experience.

No wonder the Thais say we think too much, the irony, a thread about farangs bitching about farangs.

Funny comment. Have you been here so long that you also thing f-rangs are all one thing? passifier.gif

Or perhaps you're going for the Most Thai-ier Than Thai Annual Award.

No wonder the Thais say we think too much, the irony, a thread about farangs bitching about farangs.

Funny comment. Have you been here so long that you also thing f-rangs are all one thing? passifier.gif

Or perhaps you're going for the Most Thai-ier Than Thai Annual Award.

No far from it, I dont subscribe to the point of view, all farang are equal, but some are more equal than others.

$$$$$$ baby, the Ruskies have them thats all that matters, I never read on here about the Russians complaining about exchange rates, piss poor pensions, medical insurance, being refused visa extensions etc etc.

The times they are a changin', move with them or be left behind.

Not so long ago the Brit lager louts were in the ascendancy, them shaved heads, tats and beer guts have now been replaced by Ruskie roubles, go with the flow.

I never read on here about the Russians complaining about exchange rates, piss poor pensions, medical insurance, being refused visa extensions etc etc.

Of course you haven't because this is an English language forum and very few Russians post on here.

I'll bet if there's a Russian language forum about Pattaya you'll hear them bitching about plenty.

I'm sure they also don't like many things about Pattaya. How many of them are repeat visitors? That could be a small percentage only.

Edited by tropo

I'll bet if there's a Russian language forum about Pattaya you'll hear them bitching about plenty.

I don't really know that but I'm curious. Are they a whingeing bunch, the Russkies?

I often see it on their faces. I'll bet they have a whinge or two.

I don't really know that but I'm curious. Are they a whingeing bunch, the Russkies?

I often see it on their faces. I'll bet they have a whinge or two.

Maybe they hold it in and then when they go back to Freezeyourarseoffgrad, they blow up.

Edited by Jingthing

I never read on here about the Russians complaining about exchange rates, piss poor pensions, medical insurance, being refused visa extensions etc etc.

Of course you haven't because this is an English language forum and very few Russians post on here.

I'm sure they also don't like many things about Pattaya. How many of them are repeat visitors? That could be a small percentage only.

So the Russians love their children too.

They are just like us then, no different from the farangs bitching and moaning about Pattaya, dont discuss our differences celebrate what we have in common.

They are complaining, because not everybody speaks Russian and there is no Russian food everywhere as they were told when they booked their trip to Pattaya( according to a nice Russian guy I met)

Why are Russian charter flights so cheap??

One reason is the 2 hrs of flight time they save over western Europe, but the bigger advantage is cheaper fuel, I assume.

Diesel and gasoline at the pumps there is only just over half the price from EU countries, if that's an indicator.

Look up the safety record of Russian airlines and you will have your answer on why the charters are so cheap

source: http://aviation-safety.net/database/country/country.php?id=RA