Grumpy Expat Car Drivers From Hell

manarak

...not much sympathy here for farang motocy drivers, who in my experience pose a far greater threat to pedestrians just trying to get across the road, than do most Thai pilots. Very aggressive; see an "open patch" of road ahead and accelerate to deny anyone else the use of it, including people waiting for a gap so they can get across; WAY too fast on the small, narrow sois; absurd speeds just inches from pedestrians going the same way doing their level best to negotiate whatever's left over after the food carts, parked service trucks, and traffic going the other way... If motos want more consideration from 4-wheel drivers, maybe they should show some to those on foot...

I don't disagree with most of your post, but you've lumped us all together as all being the same. I find the majority of falang riders are ok and you can actually recognise the potentially aggressive/idiot riders from how they sit, what they're wearing, what they do at the lights.

The ones that hold the handlebars while leaning over slightly and have their elbows in line with the mirrors are to be avoided as they're usually aggressive. They think they are indestructible and are the best rider on the road.

The ones that are lily white and have a stunned mullet look on their face and paddle their feet too much are inexperienced and fresh off the boat, to be avoided as they're totally unpredictable.

The ones that sit at the lights with the rear brake on while gunning the throttle are morons, but are useful as a pathfinder when the lights turn green as they hammer the throttle and invariably narrowly avoid T-boning a truck that ran the red light.

The real problem ones are the lily white paddlers, with elbows in line with the mirrors, gunning the throttle at the lights. And the irony is they don't have a clue how stupid they look, and they think the Thais around them are smiling in admiration and making nice comments, when in reality they're being tragically mocked and laughed at.

• Like 1

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and there are also the guys who when waiting at a red light will close

the gap between them and the front vehicle to bar passage of any 2

wheelers

because they are pissed off when a dozen 2-wheelers assemble in front of

him and take off slowly one by one as they please when the traffic light is

green.

what the 2-wheelers are doing is nothing else than "jumping the queue".

Like i explained before if the MB take up proper placing things would take even longer and I have almost never seen anyone having to wait for a MC to take off. They generally are faster as cars (accelerating) and take off as a large group. I am willing to bet loads of money this is the case in 90% of the motorcycles. Just look at it next time your driving.

gimme a break man! when there's a cluster of motorcycles, most of them loaded with passengers, they take ages to take off. there's also a difference whether some MCs are nearly touching your old battered pick-up in front, left and right or you are woried about your <deleted>' expensive and scratchfree car.

p.s. looking next time won't help. no motorcycles in front of my car. period!

...not much sympathy here for farang motocy drivers, who in my experience pose a far greater threat to pedestrians just trying to get across the road, than do most Thai pilots. Very aggressive; see an "open patch" of road ahead and accelerate to deny anyone else the use of it, including people waiting for a gap so they can get across; WAY too fast on the small, narrow sois; absurd speeds just inches from pedestrians going the same way doing their level best to negotiate whatever's left over after the food carts, parked service trucks, and traffic going the other way... If motos want more consideration from 4-wheel drivers, maybe they should show some to those on foot...

outed GECD count ++ (6 I think)

come on do you really think many of those foreigners drive sensible in Pattaya ? Talking those drunk tourists ect.

no, but putting all MC drivers in the same bag is not helpful at all, and hawker's post seems to aim to find excuses for the GECD behavior towards MC drivers based on his very subjective perception of MC drivers' behavior towards pedestrians. Sort of when he is driving a car he takes revenge on MC drivers for what they inflict on him when he is walking...

and there are also the guys who when waiting at a red light will close

the gap between them and the front vehicle to bar passage of any 2

wheelers

because they are pissed off when a dozen 2-wheelers assemble in front of

him and take off slowly one by one as they please when the traffic light is

green.

what the 2-wheelers are doing is nothing else than "jumping the queue".

Like i explained before if the MB take up proper placing things would take even longer and I have almost never seen anyone having to wait for a MC to take off. They generally are faster as cars (accelerating) and take off as a large group. I am willing to bet loads of money this is the case in 90% of the motorcycles. Just look at it next time your driving.

gimme a break man! when there's a cluster of motorcycles, most of them loaded with passengers, they take ages to take off. there's also a difference whether some MCs are nearly touching your old battered pick-up in front, left and right or you are woried about your <deleted>' expensive and scratchfree car.

p.s. looking next time won't help. no motorcycles in front of my car. period!

nah... I'll take the cluster of MC drivers over a water truck anytime.

• Like 1

In reply to the OP, here's my 2 bahts worth:

1. They are grumpy old men and ignorant drivers regardless of their country of origin.

2. They own a car and assume that any farang riding a scooter is a tourist. They therefore have the "bloody tourist" attitude on top of the grumpy old man attitude.

3. They get frustrated because all day they feel harassed by Thai motorcyclists (and Thai motorists) dominating the road and causing them grief (as pereceived by them).

4. They know that despite their feelings of being harassed by Thais on the road, there is sweet FA they can do about it because it will end in tears for them and probably cost money.

5. They see a farang motorcyclist coming up in their mirror with no Thais around and think "arrogant bloody farang tourist, thinks he owns the <deleted> road does he, well I'll show him that I have more right to be here than him because I own a car and am a long termer here, he's just here to shag a few bargirls, so I'm gonna indicate as late as I can at the next left turn and if he hits me, tough cookies.....what?? Little sod is trying to undertake me and he's not even Thai!! I'll show him the little upstart!!!" etc etc.

And that's how it happens because I've been in similar situations - Thai drivers are actually quite courteous and drive according to the local customs. Invariably it is the GOM contingent that cause problems for me. After having a completely uncalled for "near miss" caused by a GOM that I recognised but didn't know, I sought him out a few days later at a bar and struck up a conversation with him - the 5 points above are the result of the conversation. He thought I was a nice bloke, even bought me a drink. I then enjoyed telling him I was the "bloody tourist" that he nearly killed a few days previous and that next time he might be driving home minus a couple of wing mirrors and his gonads.

I guess that is pretty close to the truth!

Sounds like you guys just don't like old people. Maybe it depends on what city you are driving in.

IMO the menace on the road for motorbikes and cars are the taxis drivers. Most don't drive their own car and don't seem to care what problems they create or the damage to their car.

And the general statement that Thai drivers are courteous is true to a point but there are many that fit the profile of your GOM. Old or not. I drive a motorbike and a car where I have had many instances of someone trying to run me off the road.

For me it's not about the actual age of the GOM. It's their attitude irrespective of age. I'm 53 and play golf with a couple of blokes in their 70's, and they certainly aren't GOM in their attitudes, opinions or behaviour. The GOM disease can be evident in men that are in their 20's, and It hurts me to say this but one of my sons who is only 26 is a GOM - the poor sod.

• Like 1

I just wait patiently for the gaps... if someone wants to be in front that much, why argue!? Rather see them then have them behind where I can't see the crazy stuff they are up to. As you said after a short while they were stuck and you could then pass. I've seen just as many local ignorant drivers as foreign ones. Especially, when they want to open up another lane on a finite road so everyone is "stuck" and even bikes can't get passed!

I usually follow locals (except running red lights). Then you can figure out what is allowable and what is not.

If you have spent anytime on the road then you will know that person that zooms passes you will usually meets you at the next intersection. If you don't see them again then they are probably only a few minutes ahead, unless you really, really, get stuck in traffic. Unless you are a delivery driver, what's a few minutes? It's a lot better than being part of the road fatality or accident statics.

Once had a Tuk-Tuk want to be in front of me that he went on the rim of the road to "push" me into the middle of the road and on coming traffic. I slowed and went behind him waiting for a chance. Only a minute later I was in front of him and about 20 or 30 other cars when the flow slowed to a crawl.

Edited by horsewell
  • Like 1

As I see it nobody follows any kind of sensible driving habit here.

Motorcycles

Undertaking in fast traffic

Waiting at red lights past the stop line and in the pedestrian crossing making it almost impossible for a walker to cross.

Turning left without looking right first.

Excuse me. What the he_ll is undertaking?

Is it related to what embalmers do to dead bodies?

I didn't say it did justify it, but going down the inside is quite the opposite of defensive, and intentional misbehaviour. coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Taking the letter of the traffic Law as a basis to determine what's safe and unsafe does not work on Thailand's roads.

Quite often it is safer to break the law than abiding it.

Undertaking a vehicle is not necessarily incompatible with defensive driving.

• Like 2

horsewell, on 03 May 2013 - 10:35, said:

I just wait patiently for the gaps... if someone wants to be in front that much, why argue!? Rather see them then have them behind where I can't see the crazy stuff they are up to. As you said after a short while they were stuck and you could then pass. I've seen just as many local ignorant drivers as foreign ones. Especially, when they want to open up another lane on a finite road so everyone is "stuck" and even bikes can't get passed!

I usually follow locals (except running red lights). Then you can figure out what is allowable and what is not.

If you have spent anytime on the road then you will know that person that zooms passes you will usually meets you at the next intersection. If you don't see them again then they are probably only a few minutes ahead, unless you really, really, get stuck in traffic. Unless you are a delivery driver, what's a few minutes? It's a lot better than being part of the road fatality or accident statics.

Once had a Tuk-Tuk want to be in front of me that he went on the rim of the road to "push" me into the middle of the road and on coming traffic. I slowed and went behind him waiting for a chance. Only a minute later I was in front of him and about 20 or 30 other cars when the flow slowed to a crawl.

yes, I'm with you, my usual procedure when overtaking is to first slow down if the situation is potentially hiding hazards (such as inside a city, near parked vehicles, etc.), I will only zoom past if the situation is a very safe one (i.e. 200 meters of straight empty road in front of me with no intersections).

Motorcycles

Waiting at red lights past the stop line and in the pedestrian crossing making it almost impossible for a walker to cross.

Haven't you seen the mobile undertaking (as in dead bodies) sidecar around Pattaya?

On the road, undertaking means passing a vehicle on the inside (left in Thailand), but I suspect you knew that anyway.

Edited by Gsxrnz

Motorcycles

Sorry thought everyone knew it. Undertaking is the opposite of overtaking. I.E. passing on the left rather than the right. I've even seen bumper stickers saying such.

Some people are just born to be miserable gits; and you can find them at any age and in all walks of life. Whenever you come across one just smile a lot and laugh, it irritates them no end.

I usually ignore them totally - but a driver targeting you with his swerving of his car is difficult to completely ignore (at least if I wanted to avoid a collision). Edited by manarak

Some people are just born to be miserable gits; and you can find them at any age and in all walks of life. Whenever you come across one just smile a lot and laugh, it irritates them no end.

I usually ignore them totally - but a driver targeting you with his swerving of his car is difficult to completely ignore (at least if I wanted to avoid a collision).

The actions of any driver swerving to target you is downright dangerous. Personally I'd stop and let them carry on so as not to create a situation. I can think of a couple of reasons why a driver here would be less than 100% in control of a car. He could be drunk, under the influence of a variety of substances or even driving a ' left hand drive ' car if they're only used to a ' right hand drive ' car -- not that many countries drive on the left. I ride ( and have ridden ) a variety of motorcycles, drive a car and for more years than I can remember drove a 40 tonne 18 wheeler throughout Western Europe, Eastern Europe and the Middle East. This does not necessarily make me a better driver though I like to think I can read the road fairly well thereby avoiding any likely situation before it happens. However, and this is where I'd respectfully like to advise Manarak as to his riding skills. The hardest thing to see is someone passing on your nearside as this is a potential blind spot for the car/truck driver. The motorcyclist ( or whoever ) passing on the inside cannot be aware that the vehicle they are passing may turn to the left ( here in Thailand ) which normally results in an accident -- the motorcyclist usually coming off worse. I have lived in Thailand for some years now, and during those years spent about 5 in and around Pattaya so I know the pitfalls and the ' red mist ' that can appear in some road users. Best way is to let all the others ' be No. 1 ' , drive carefully and courteously and end up at your destination safely and in one piece....

• Like 1

Motorcycles

Sorry thought everyone knew it. Undertaking is the opposite of overtaking. I.E. passing on the left rather than the right. I've even seen bumper stickers saying such.

Those stickers are intended to be a witty reminder of the dangers of passing on the wrong side, and the likelihood of proceeding direct to the Undertakers.

SC

• Like 1

Motorcycles

Those stickers are intended to be a witty reminder of the dangers of passing on the wrong side, and the likelihood of proceeding direct to the Undertakers.

SC

We had stickers on the back of our trailors -- passing side and suicide, judge for yourselves

Motorcycles

Haven't you seen the mobile undertaking (as in dead bodies) sidecar around Pattaya?

On the road, undertaking means passing a vehicle on the inside (left in Thailand), but I suspect you knew that anyway.

Sorry, it must be a Brit term, like "traveling round" instead of "traveling around." Poor blokes... sick.gif

Motorbikes need to stay in the far left and never deviate out of that little lane for them.

Speaking of crazy drivers though, I had to hit the brakes 3 times with one idiot this afternoon to get him off my tail, the first time I heard the screech of his tyres, that always makes me smile. Third time he pulled out and around as he got an eye full of my middle finger.

Earlier today another regular idiot that does the same xxxx every day behind me, he was in front this time and I saw him do it to 3 other cars, then over take 2 on a sharp bend with oncoming traffic, then a couple hundred metres later on a straight stretch pass another 2 cars with oncoming traffic. This is not a wide road.

You deliberately hit the brakes (I assume aggressively) to cause grief to the person behind you? I would consider this sort of action a classic case of road rage and at least as bad as the idiot in the OP that swerved to prevent him passing. In fact, your example of hitting the brakes to scare a motorist behind you would be classed as manslaughter or murder if you were unfortunate enough to cause a death as a result of your imbecilic actions.

Ironically you seem to think you had every right to take this action and then give the "offender" your middle finger. The mind boggles!

• Like 1

I usually ignore them totally - but a driver targeting you with his swerving of his car is difficult to completely ignore (at least if I wanted to avoid a collision).

The actions of any driver swerving to target you is downright dangerous. Personally I'd stop and let them carry on so as not to create a situation. I can think of a couple of reasons why a driver here would be less than 100% in control of a car. He could be drunk, under the influence of a variety of substances or even driving a ' left hand drive ' car if they're only used to a ' right hand drive ' car -- not that many countries drive on the left. I ride ( and have ridden ) a variety of motorcycles, drive a car and for more years than I can remember drove a 40 tonne 18 wheeler throughout Western Europe, Eastern Europe and the Middle East. This does not necessarily make me a better driver though I like to think I can read the road fairly well thereby avoiding any likely situation before it happens. However, and this is where I'd respectfully like to advise Manarak as to his riding skills. The hardest thing to see is someone passing on your nearside as this is a potential blind spot for the car/truck driver. The motorcyclist ( or whoever ) passing on the inside cannot be aware that the vehicle they are passing may turn to the left ( here in Thailand ) which normally results in an accident -- the motorcyclist usually coming off worse. I have lived in Thailand for some years now, and during those years spent about 5 in and around Pattaya so I know the pitfalls and the ' red mist ' that can appear in some road users. Best way is to let all the others ' be No. 1 ' , drive carefully and courteously and end up at your destination safely and in one piece....

You are absolutely right!

Motorbikes need to stay in the far left and never deviate out of that little lane for them.

Speaking of crazy drivers though, I had to hit the brakes 3 times with one idiot this afternoon to get him off my tail, the first time I heard the screech of his tyres, that always makes me smile. Third time he pulled out and around as he got an eye full of my middle finger.

Earlier today another regular idiot that does the same xxxx every day behind me, he was in front this time and I saw him do it to 3 other cars, then over take 2 on a sharp bend with oncoming traffic, then a couple hundred metres later on a straight stretch pass another 2 cars with oncoming traffic. This is not a wide road.

You deliberately hit the brakes (I assume aggressively) to cause grief to the person behind you? I would consider this sort of action a classic case of road rage and at least as bad as the idiot in the OP that swerved to prevent him passing. In fact, your example of hitting the brakes to scare a motorist behind you would be classed as manslaughter or murder if you were unfortunate enough to cause a death as a result of your imbecilic actions.

Ironically you seem to think you had every right to take this action and then give the "offender" your middle finger. The mind boggles!

agree. GECD count: 6 +1 well beyond grumpy.

Reminds me of American drivers 20+ years ago. One reason I've been gone 20+ years... sick.gif

Motorcycles

Sorry, it must be a Brit term, like "traveling round" instead of "traveling around." Poor blokes... sick.gif

No, undertaking on the road is a term used all over the English speaking world. I've seen it used on American and Canadian forums, usually in relation to motorbikes as it is predominantly motorbikes that are more able to undertake.

Another phrase is "lane splitting". That's a common motorcycling term and refers to moving between cars that are in their respective lanes. And of course here in Thailand you will see lane splitting in a car - I've often seen 3 lanes made into 4 (or 5) by lane splitting - it's expedient and helps the flow of traffic. of course anybody who is a territorial driver will abhor the practice of undertaking and lane splitting. C'est la vie!

And "travelling round" used in place of "travelling around" is just bad grammar. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

"And "travelling round" used in place of "travelling around" is just bad grammar." thumbsup.gif

This is one of numerous examples of bad grammar I found in ESL textbooks published in the U.K.

Why did you assume aggressively? You attribute adverse characteristics to the gentleman, and then go off on a rant against the person whom you expect him to be.

From time to time, I apply the brakes when I think others are following me too closely, in order either to ensure that they can stop safely in the distance available, or that I have sufficient clear road ahead that I won't need to brake sharply. Generally, this is also sufficient to encourage them to overtake, so that I have an idiot ahead of me rather than behind; generally I feel that is the safer situation.

SC

Why did you assume aggressively? You attribute adverse characteristics to the gentleman, and then go off on a rant against the person whom you assume him to be.

From time to time, I apply the brakes when I think others are following me too closely, in order either to ensure that they can stop safely in the distance available, or that I have sufficient clear road ahead that I won't need to brake sharply. Generally, this is also sufficient to encourage them to overtake, so that I have an idiot ahead of me rather than behind; generally I feel that is the safer situation.

SC

Why did you assume aggressively? You attribute adverse characteristics to the gentleman, and then go off on a rant against the person whom you expect him to be.

SC

I put it to you that from the words and grammar used in the post you are referring to, that any normal thinking person reading said post could quite logically draw the conclusion that the actions of the poster were probably aggressive. However, in responding to his post I used the phrase "I assume aggressively" to give him the opportunity to clarify or refute this assumption. As of yet he has chosen not to do so. I believe I attributed adverse comments to the driving actions he described, not to the gentlemen that I'm sure he is. coffee1.gif

SC

I put it to you that from the words and grammar used in the post you are referring to, that any normal thinking person reading said post could quite logically draw the conclusion that the actions of the poster were probably aggressive. However, in responding to his post I used the phrase "I assume aggressively" to give him the opportunity to clarify or refute this assumption. As of yet he has chosen not to do so. I believe I attributed adverse comments to the driving actions he described, not to the gentlemen that I'm sure he is. coffee1.gif

Fair enough

carib102@ -- I've become quite adept at stopping in such a way as to avoid gaps biggrin.png

I rode a motorcycle in Japan for about 15 years in traffic very similar to downtown Bangkok.

Japanese car drivers usually are quick to make a space for bikes approaching from the rear

through traffic. At first, I thought this was very odd -- I rarely saw such a thing in the U.S.

For a long time I thought, hmm, are they doing this for courtesy? But then I realized it was

not about courtesy. They simply didn't want the motorcycles scratching their beautiful car.

But, for me, it was much appreciated. Made my commutes a lot easier.

Driving habits differ from country to country. I didn't like the aggressiveness and road rage

I saw in the U.S. But that was 20+ years ago.

The Philippines required a lot of concentration to avoid collisions.

I haven't had much problem with drivers in Chiang Mai, except an occasional young kamikaze

motorcyclist bent on self-mutilation. I just try to stay out of their way.

I have driven quite a bit in America, even on busy six lane motorways in Los Angeles, and in my experience, found Americans the most corceous.

In reply to the OP, here's my 2 bahts worth:

1. They are grumpy old men and ignorant drivers regardless of their country of origin.

2. They own a car and assume that any farang riding a scooter is a tourist. They therefore have the "bloody tourist" attitude on top of the grumpy old man attitude.

3. They get frustrated because all day they feel harassed by Thai motorcyclists (and Thai motorists) dominating the road and causing them grief (as pereceived by them).

4. They know that despite their feelings of being harassed by Thais on the road, there is sweet FA they can do about it because it will end in tears for them and probably cost money.

5. They see a farang motorcyclist coming up in their mirror with no Thais around and think "arrogant bloody farang tourist, thinks he owns the <deleted> road does he, well I'll show him that I have more right to be here than him because I own a car and am a long termer here, he's just here to shag a few bargirls, so I'm gonna indicate as late as I can at the next left turn and if he hits me, tough cookies.....what?? Little sod is trying to undertake me and he's not even Thai!! I'll show him the little upstart!!!" etc etc.

And that's how it happens because I've been in similar situations - Thai drivers are actually quite courteous and drive according to the local customs. Invariably it is the GOM contingent that cause problems for me. After having a completely uncalled for "near miss" caused by a GOM that I recognised but didn't know, I sought him out a few days later at a bar and struck up a conversation with him - the 5 points above are the result of the conversation. He thought I was a nice bloke, even bought me a drink. I then enjoyed telling him I was the "bloody tourist" that he nearly killed a few days previous and that next time he might be driving home minus a couple of wing mirrors and his gonads.

I guess that is pretty close to the truth!

Sounds like you guys just don't like old people. Maybe it depends on what city you are driving in.

IMO the menace on the road for motorbikes and cars are the taxis drivers. Most don't drive their own car and don't seem to care what problems they create or the damage to their car.

And the general statement that Thai drivers are courteous is true to a point but there are many that fit the profile of your GOM. Old or not. I drive a motorbike and a car where I have had many instances of someone trying to run me off the road.

Thai drivers courteous???? 90% of them flashing their lights at you telling you to get out of their way, even when they are on the wrong side of the road.That will never work with me. I will just sit and wait and wait, and keep smiling.

• Like 1

SC

If anyone drives too close to me, I put on my hazard lights and slow down gradually. I have done this for years both in Thailand and the UK. It always works.