Just How "broke" Are Thais?

pinfold

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of them (Thais) must have more money then me.Every Thai that I know drives a newer model car than me.

Yip and they ALL have the latest iPhones / smartphones which is equivalent to a month if 2's salary BUT they still live in some flea pit with a mattress in a corner on the floor and 6 other people, wots all that about??

Yes... how dare they...Thai's are suppose to be poor peasants farming rice and eating leaves, and be glad about their lot... just so the resident farangs can feel superior about themselves ....:rolleyes:

That is correct!

Well if it was yesterday , then he was probably expecting his salary to be in his account...

He was probably so sad because for what ever reason, his salary had not been deposited by his company/boss

I also would have been pretty sad and likely not have had much more in my account if my salary had not been deposited... As savings is not the same account as my ATM card is linked to.

Normally leave just enough for monthly spending in my ATM account, so normally balance is less than 100 thb by the end of the month

I am sure many Thais do the same, doesn't mean they are poor...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by CWMcMurray

Some Thais are so poor they use eggshells in recipes.

I know Thais that married for the rice. That's how poor and broke they are.

Our Thai next door neighbors are so broke, their house says this side up. That's broke, So broke, the tax department said don't bother, again!. They are so broke, I pressed their doorbell and he says ding dong. Yes, broke as. Got nothing.

• Like 1

Our Thai next door neighbors are so broke, their house says this side up. That's broke, So broke, the tax department said don't bother, again!. They are so broke, I pressed their doorbell and he says ding dong. Yes, broke as. Got nothing.

So broke they ain't even broke-arsed cause their <deleted> are so skinny they ain't got no back to be broke, ya mon ...

(Hope this doesn't violate the English only rule.coffee1.gif )

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

broke enough to marry very old men who disgust them.

You're in a particularly cheery and generous-spirited mood this afternoon.

little drumk tonight, first time in about a year,just took the old girl out for dinner.

So broke they ain't even broke-arsed cause their <deleted> are so skinny they ain't got no back to be broke, ya mon ...

(Hope this doesn't violate the English only rule. )

now that's broke.

lets ask a follow up question here...just how broke is the average farang retiree/english teacher living in Thailand ?

or we could get more scientific...could the average retiree/english teacher survive in Thailand for a period of say 3 months without an income ?

Based on family bonds within Thailand one suspects the average "broken" Thai could survive 3 months without any money coming unlike their farang counterparts...

Most people in the world are less than 3 wage packets from bankruptcy.

It's just the way people live. TV members are not really a wide population sample.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

lets ask a follow up question here...just how broke is the average farang retiree/english teacher living in Thailand ?

or we could get more scientific...could the average retiree/english teacher survive in Thailand for a period of say 3 months without an income ?

Based on family bonds within Thailand one suspects the average "broken" Thai could survive 3 months without any money coming unlike their farang counterparts...

Most people in the world are less than 3 wage packets from bankruptcy.

It's just the way people live. TV members are not really a wide population sample.

I agree that most people are 3 wage packets from bankruptcy, half the world's population lives on less that $1 dollar per day. I recently read that earning just US$35,000 per year puts you into the top 1% income bracket globally.

When Thais see my balance (yes many do look; it's a healthy retirement extension based account) some make goo goo eyes at me in response. To the number.

Good job they cannot see mine biggrin.png

Mistakenly left the safe open a few months ago,the Thai g/f surely had a good look-see at the bank book ,now all I get is "why you no buy how"?"why you no buy new bike"?

I look forward to the forthcoming thread,the type that TV users literally salivate over,there's one running now!

Edited by Eesat

So much generalisation in the OP, I think many people on here have no real idea what the general workers here are earning in the thousands of factories around the country. Was gonna start a thread once detailing a cross section of trades in our company and their salaries but then thought why bother, most on here would carry on with "the Thai people are so poor " and " just how stupid are Thai people " etc.

As for the OP saying their are no job prospects for school leavers, we are crying out for more people and I know other companies that are having the same recruiting problems as we are having.

Yes, did start this thread from personnel observations,not only from my turn at the Aeon machine (yes, know about their spread) but journalists comments,personally I think Thailand is going tits up Thailand has always been an exporting country, and that is rapidly diminishing, and the ASEAN connection will not help . It is the family connection down on the farm that keeps Thais going,they know they can always run back to the farm , lick their financial wounds,take comfort from family and friends

What I really love about Thailand,are the jumped up farang squirts,probably English teachers,or just removed mature students,something of the age of 26 years plus, spends all the time on the computer' its his entire life,no money-no honey,not a bean in the world or about to have any either,only concern in life is correcting a posters wording,t it displays a small mindedness that can only be displayed in this xxx hole,nothing else to do,rather be pig hignorant with a wallet full,....what you say? LOL ,give me the lolly . Whoops,forgot to mention, yes on gold plated index linked stuff, plus plus,fire-proofed

To the last poster,yes if it gets results.

Edited by pinfold

biggrin.png....You are drumk aren't you mt! Nice uppercut to all the disgusting old men out there mate. laugh.png

Thanks for the affirmation that old men are disgusting.

May I ask how old you are Krisb ?

biggrin.png....You are drumk aren't you mt! Nice uppercut to all the disgusting old men out there mate. laugh.png

read it again no one said old men are disgusting

It's true not all thais are broke ,my wife went out yesterday with the family and when she came home she told me how much my sister in law made on the "other" lottery this month ,i must admit it made my eyes water and that was on top of her salary working for a hotel group in Bkk .

Lol, she was just giving you a hint of what was coming your way. And ever considered how much they brag to each other to save face. Might be that the sil spent and lost big amounts on that lottery very recently, but of course she's not gonna admit that to her sister.

Keep a close eye on the household account as there might be spend a lot on lottery's in the near future.

• Like 1

read it again no one said old men are disgusting

I must have misread this one then.

Nice uppercut to all the disgusting old men out there

I saw a Thai woman who was so broke I saw her kicking a can down the street,When I asked her what she was doing she said moving.

Funny this one,there is a lot of truth in this though, gees they do some moving too

also don't forget that many Thai's have multiple bank accounts. It also does vary depending on where you are.. Aeon are not renowned as being a high end bank.

Aeon is not a bank anyway ..its a Japanese credit card company, they dont fall under Thai banking regs and thats the reason you dont get hit for THB 150/time when you use a foreign ATM card... ....so high end or not I dont care I use them as it saves me THB 150/time and I can draw more money in one transaction than I can with a Thai bank..wink.png

If there is a foreign currency involved, It may well be that their Bid/Ask-spread is higher than with a "regular-bank." With a less favorable exchange-rate, they may get more out of you than 150 Bht.

Easy to find out: next time look at the exchange-rate you are getting and compare it immediately to the rate of a "regular-bank" nearby. Then you do your figuring. Remember: It's about the Bid/Ask-spread.

Cheers.

Do you realise how much the bid would have to differ,in order to be USD $5-6 more than a normal bank?

Also,it's not the spread at all,bid and ask is just another way of saying buy and sell and you're buying baht for your foreign currency,not selling!The only way the spread would be relevant is if it was bigger than the normal banks which it might not be,you might be selling at a better price with the exact same spread than a normal bank!

I think there is a cultural tendency here to spend all you're money (and more) period, good times and bad. Thais remind me of Americans in the 80s.

Could you expand on your concept of "cultural tendency here", please?

Could it be different now to what it what was in the 1980's?

Is it as dynamic as what you're suggesting American culture is?

Are you suggesting that North American culture is more dynamic than Thai culture?

I would love to believe you but the Thai economy is much better as the Western ones at this moment. It could change of course but for now its has much more growth. I too would love it if it was different and the exchange rate would change but realistic its just hoping and dreaming at this point in time.

I think there is a cultural tendency here to spend all you're money (and more) period, good times and bad. Thais remind me of Americans in the 80s.

Hit the nail on the head there. I see some Thais spend 80% of there salary just on there car/truck , or if they receive there yearly bonus they go and spend it all in an iPhone ! Thais and saving don't seem to go together unless they are very upper class

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

My MIL must be the exception. Not upper class, but is so tight with money she probably craps diamonds. Only thing she will spend money on is more land.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The last time I peeked over the shoulder of the little bloke in front of me at the ATM I saw his balance was 635,000B ! (In Fang Chiang Mai)

I think for a more realistic snapshot of the average Thais bank balance have a quick look at the discarded ATM receipts, most are (in Chiang Mai city) similar to 134B.. 180B.. 60B type balances toward the end of the month.

The last time I peeked over the shoulder of the little bloke in front of me at the ATM I saw his balance was 635,000B ! (In Fang Chiang Mai)

I think for a more realistic snapshot of the average Thais bank balance have a quick look at the discarded ATM receipts, most are (in Chiang Mai city) similar to 134B.. 180B.. 60B type balances toward the end of the month.

You look over shoulders AND go through the bins. blink.png ..............................coffee1.gif

Anyone who thinks there are no poor Thai's around doesn't get out enough. Come out to the Boonies and I will show you large numbers of people who live in conditions we would normally keep our dogs in. They work when they can get work and just about scratch a living, many can't even fill a bowl for the morning Monks. The ones that have regular jobs often have multiple bank accounts and there is a tendency also to distrust banks and keep wads hidden at home. Recent example of this was neighbour who's husband died, and as man and wife had not slept together for many years and had seperate bedrooms(more common than you think here after a certain age), once he was removed from his bedroom and his family searched it they found just over half a million Baht stashed all around the place. His wife was gobsmacked as she thought he may have had a few thousand but she had no idea he had that kind of money.

Anyone who thinks there are no poor Thai's around doesn't get out enough. Come out to the Boonies and I will show you large numbers of people who live in conditions we would normally keep our dogs in. They work when they can get work and just about scratch a living, many can't even fill a bowl for the morning Monks. The ones that have regular jobs often have multiple bank accounts and there is a tendency also to distrust banks and keep wads hidden at home. Recent example of this was neighbour who's husband died, and as man and wife had not slept together for many years and had seperate bedrooms(more common than you think here after a certain age), once he was removed from his bedroom and his family searched it they found just over half a million Baht stashed all around the place. His wife was gobsmacked as she thought he may have had a few thousand but she had no idea he had that kind of money.

Maybe that was more to do with having a joint bank account than distrust of the banks.

Maybe it was to do with a certain sensitivity regarding audits and Chief Inspectors, as is the case with many of our politicians, if burglars are to be believed.

SC

They're not broke. They're loaded these days. Seen any poor Thais lately? I haven't. They always seem like they are flush with cash. Makes sense as there is very little poverty in Thailand. I think there are more poor people in my former country(US) than in Thailand. Can you believe that? It's true.

judging by the gold scramble over songkran,new red number plates in circulation i would say many thais are doing extremely well as opposed to many western retirees struggling with meagre pensions,rotten exchange rates,and too many bar fines that have soaked up their savings.

• Like 2

Not all thai's are hard up as one would imagine.

I know a thai lady who has one of those food trolley cards - she sells soup. She told me that her profit is thb30k a month. Ive talked to a few of my farang friends who agree that sometimes its a myth that all thais are poor. The main factor to remember is that its mostly a cash economy for them. Its rare that they pay much tax...

Thais have to earn upwards of 150.000 Baht per year before they pay tax, I don't see any street vendors earning or declaring more than that.

I think it's 20 or 25k a month so 240k or 330k per year for paying tax.

Supposedly only 17% pay tax. I doubt many food vendors or pretty much any small business volunteers to pay tax or even declares their true earnings once caught - if they ever are.

I wonder how many people driving round in new cars or large fortuners etc would be if they had to pay income tax.

Only 2.6 percent of Thai population pay tax.

They're not broke. They're loaded these days. Seen any poor Thais lately? I haven't. They always seem like they are flush with cash. Makes sense as there is very little poverty in Thailand. I think there are more poor people in my former country(US) than in Thailand. Can you believe that? It's true.

judging by the gold scramble over songkran,new red number plates in circulation i would say many thais are doing extremely well as opposed to many western retirees struggling with meagre pensions,rotten exchange rates,and too many bar fines that have soaked up their savings.

Don't let the amount of red plates fool you, most are on finance, they have a nice new motor to show off in but park it outside their doss pit room / shack.

• Like 1