Proof Of Medical Insurance Proposed For 1 Year Visa

The Pattaya Today articles consists mainly of supposition and guesses. The quotation from the Minister, presumably extracted from a longer statement, doesn't make it clear whether the suggestion relates only to tourists but also to expats. So, there's nothing much to chew on.

It would be easy to insist that tourists have travel insurance. People over a certain age or who could not get travel insurance simply would not enter the country. I can see no reasonable argument against compulsory travel insurance for tourists. However, the administration could be a nightmare and ripe for under the counter 'fees'. The authorities would need to have a scheme by which they could ensure that the insurance in each case had adequate benefits. They may approve certain insurers or products or, imagine the games they would play, each policy document would be read for each traveller. Probably, creating a sensible checking procedure would be beyond the ability of those who were charged with doing the job.

If expats. were asked to arrange insurance some would go immediately into shock. Very few whom I meet are willing to buy insurance voluntarily and come up with such spurious excuses as 'I have plenty of cash in the bank' or 'I would fly home'. I think that it's irresponsible not to have good insurance here. If an accident or illness requires expensive treatment and precludes travel home, then a proportion of these people will expect those around them to rush about trying to solve the problem. Insurance is expensive but there's a reason for that - treatment can be expensive and the older we get the more likely it is that we shall need expensive treatment. How many millions of Baht do you want to spend from your savings?

Apart from the obvious benefit of getting your medical bills paid, a benefit of insurance is that you can work with the insurer to make sure that diagnosis and treatment is adequate and, for them, that the charges are fair. If you don't have insurance, you have no way of ensuring that the hospital isn't ripping you off.

However, the statement is probably yet another example of mouthing off with no action to follow.

• Like 2

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It amaze me why someone who wants to move to Thailand for retirement reasons would not plan in advance for health insurance before even coming here. That should be one of the top things to consider at that age before making a move.

• Like 2

The good news: Medical care and facilities in India may very well be excellent and well-priced

The bad news: It's in India.

You shouldn't bank on being able to travel further than the nearest hospital.

Isn't the 800,000 baht some kind of guarantee that you can pay hospital bills?

After all you are not required to show one baht spent in Thailand, just have the 800,000 in the bank on time.

800,000 is money to spend in Thailand to live on, etc.

it all depends on the care you would require, a few nights in ICU will cost you a fortune. Especially at a private hospital. A 1 week stay at ICU will not leave you much money if you only have 800,000 baht and need hart surgery.

it all depends on the care you would require, a few nights in ICU will cost you a fortune. Especially at a private hospital. A 1 week stay at ICU will not leave you much money if you only have 800,000 baht and need hart surgery.

I agree and was just making a point that you do not have to show that you spend any of it.

I've been here many years and never been asked to show what I've spent.

Edited by uptheos

and there will be anyway a certain moment that even the insurance limit is reached on base whatever the insurance claims......!!

so only millionairs should be allowed to stay Thailand i suppose ......?

Those Thai Visa sponsors shall be very happy with this topic about govermental new rule for health insurrance....whistling.gif oh just a co-incidental thing probablywink.png

cignaglobal.com/Free-Online-Quote
Expat Medical Cover for Thailand. Get A Cigna® Health Insurance Quote"
Edited by david555

The good news: Medical care and facilities in India may very well be excellent and well-priced

The bad news: It's in India.

But based on the other news story you may not even see the medical facilities in India, if you travel air Indian and the pilots keep letting the stewardess' fly the plane while they have a sleep in business class..rolleyes.gif

Isn't the 800,000 baht some kind of guarantee that you can pay hospital bills?

It would if the 800k was lodged with some goverment department as a surety/bond against unforseen expenses incurred while living in Thailand, some countries require a bond for retiree's to live there... South Africa is one example, a certain amount of money has to be lodged with the goverment as a bond for repatriation, should it be needed..how much I cant remember

It amaze me why someone who wants to move to Thailand for retirement reasons would not plan in advance for health insurance before even coming here. That should be one of the top things to consider at that age before making a move.

Such a smug attitude clearly written by someone who doesn't know how it feels to be UNINSURABLE.

Not smug at all, I would say. 'Plan ahead' means ' plan ahead'. 'Uninsurable'means 'uninsurable'. Not the same thing at all. I suppose that you could combine them by saying something ,like, 'I planned ahead and found that I am uninsurable'. wink.png

Such a smug attitude clearly written by someone who doesn't know how it feels to be UNINSURABLE.

Not smug at all, I would say. 'Plan ahead' means ' plan ahead'. 'Uninsurable'means 'uninsurable'. Not the same thing at all. I suppose that you could combine them by saying something ,like, 'I planned ahead and found that I am uninsurable'. wink.png

That's not what he meant, clearly.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with this as we keep our medical insurance current, but there could be one glitch in timing.

Our retirement visas are renewed every April, while our medical insurance doesn't renew until August, so when we renew our visas, the insurance proof will only have 3 months of validity.

Perhaps demonstrating proof of current insurance with the 90 day reports would fix the glitch?

"so when we renew our visas"

Most retirees don't renew their visas, they get an extension of stay. Although the quotes being bandied about don't seem to have any authoritative source, they do seem to say the proof would be required for the issuance of a visa. Visas are issued by embassies and consulates to people not already in the country.

Whether they do incorporate it into requirements for extension of stay as well as for issuing a visa, the timing is not likely to be a big issue. When you "prove" you have a monthly income from pensions and such, it is assumed the monthly income will continue going forward although the evidence of income doesn't require a guarantee that it will continue for the next 12 months, just that you are currently getting the stated amount.

If they accept a letter from your embassy to substantiate your annual retirement income, they'll probably go the same route for medical insurance since making the application process more complicated also makes their work for complicated.

Edited by Suradit69

But:

There is a very simple answer.

LOAS nationals buy insurance polices for their wealthy elders and bring them over to Thailand International hospitals for treament as I rightly believe their are acknowledged as coatia.

So a farang could enter Loas purchase the said policy (10,000 baht cash is not going to be turned away) return to Thailand, policy in hand and no worries, he has a coatia acknowledged insurance policy for visa requirements and medical care.

Just a note by the way the rules do not say the policy has to be a Thai Insurance policy.

Depends how much the unisured 65+ yr old farang wants to stay in Thailand or uproot and start all over again in some other country.

Reminds me of an old song from the 80's "WE GET KNOCKED DOWN AN' WE GET UP AGAIN."

Edited by up2me4now

But:

LOAS nationals buy insurance polices for their wealthy elders and bring them over to Thailand International hospitals for treament as I rightly believe their are acknowledged as coatia.

So a farang could enter Loas purchase the said policy (10,000 baht cash is not going to be turned away) return to Thailand, policy in hand and no worries, he has a coatia acknowledged insurance policy for visa requirements and medical care.

Just a note by the way the rules do not say the policy has to be a Thai Insurance policy.

Depends how much the unisured 65+ yr old farang wants to stay in Thailand or uproot and start all over again in some other country.

Reminds me of an old song from the 80's "WE GET KNOCKED DOWN AN' WE GET UP AGAIN."

These "rules" you speak of do not exist. It's just rumors and speculation at this point.

But:

These "rules" you speak of do not exist. It's just rumors and speculation at this point.

Yes Jingthing.

As you Quote: These rules you speak of dont exist yet , Its just speculation at this point..

Ok but "Watch this this space" and bye the way don't hold your breath (Pardon the Pun)

Incidently its always best to be prepared - especially in LOS.

If you go into business assuming every customer pays their account in full, then you're going to be in for a big shock. Thai hospitals create their own problems and foreigners pay more for the same medical treatment compared with thais which should more than cover the bills of the few that can't pay after receiving treatment. Or just don't accept patients that don't pay up front. It's easy.

• Like 1

Private hospitals in Thailand TTBOMK are mandated to accept emergency cases at least until they are enough stable to be transferred to a government hospital by which time the cost of treatment may be already well beyond an expat's ability to pay.

There have been a series of reports over the years, mostly from Pattaya, where expats have died en-route from a private hospital in Pattaya to the government hospital, transfered because it was thought the person didn't have adequate funds - two years ago saw the high profile case of the critically injured male cyclist transfered from Bangkok Pattaya Hosptial who died.

curious;

which countries is it required u purchase medical insurance??( only ones i know about are Canada an USA and they do not require u purchase med insurance , in fact most Americans cant afford med insurance) an which require u lodge money to get a visa? This is all new to me

So ur going to have immigration check to see that each person has insurance?

If a Thai wants to get a tourist visa for a country in Europe, he normally needs a travel insurance, which covers medical expenses.

Apparently there are several health insurers that do provide lifelong health insurance. I am told PIH, NZI and Thaivivat do this. BUPA and LMG have the options for policy holders. The requirement is that the policy holder has to ask for the coverage option before the cutoff date which can range from age 60 to 75.

The real issue as to why elderly people do not have the coverage is one of cost. People either do not want to pay the premium, or do not have the money with which to do so. The private insurers charge a premium commensurate with the risk. Elderly people have high health care costs and as they age those costs increase.

It is unreasonable and downright ludicrous to expect Thailand to subsidize the health care of foreigners. Why should Thailand support or subsidize a health insurance program for what is ostensibly a high risk pool of foreigners? Thailand can't even pay for the care of its poor people, and now some expect Thailand to pay for foreign pensioners? Sorry, but it is unlikely to happen.

Of course any 'Proof of Medical Insurance' scheme by the Thai government would have to take into consideration that the real smart expat guys on 1-year extension are self-insured and proof woulld be that their-word -is-their-bond

That's the problem. A large percentage of people are uninsurable by private insurance policies. If the Thai government wants to require this AND be fair (they are not required to be fair of course) they will find a way to either offer some kind of policy to ALL including the uninsurable OR as Malaysia does proof of application and DENIAL will justify an EXEMPTION from the requirement.

Because of these issues, causing a mass exodus and indeed bad international publicity that long time retirees will be booted out and forced to liquidate assets such as real estate under duress, that I don't think Thailand will ACTUALLY do this. They could solve this with the Malaysia style exemption for proven insurance REJECTION, but that seems against the general inflexible nature of Thai immigration rules.

Of course, they could just do something really stupid and rash (it happens sometimes), not even understanding the mass exodus and bad international publicity they would be creating by rashly passing such a rule without an offer of coverage for ALL applicants or a rejection exemption exception.

One way to go, ant they have done this with other new immigration rules, is to grandfather in those already on their "retirement" visa extensions and enforce the new rule for all new applications. Then at least uninsured or indigent faring medical costs would be limited to only those geezers currently retired in Thailand and who cant afford their own care. New applicants would be on notice that if/when they could no longer obtain private medical insurance (or maybe meet some increased bank account threshold) that their retirement visa would not be renewed.

Why should some dead beat be grandfathered in. In the end if you cannot afford basic expenses and medical insurace is a basic expense why should you be allowed to stay. Theree are too many who come here with the bare amount of money to live and then would expect poor thais to foot their bill in a government hospital. This affects all retirees here in one way or the other, I do not have a lot of sympathy for dead beat adults who were losers back home and then come to Thailand as a loser

There is a great opportunity for Thailand to make money on this issue.

Simply increase the cost of a Visa and include the 30 baht scheme. Those arrivals who are Visa exempt, pay at immigration.

Lots of retirees are uninsurable through pre-existing medical conditions, often through no fault of their own.