Proof Of Medical Insurance Proposed For 1 Year Visa

The clear answer is easy.

Give all foreigners currently living in Thailand with a Thai wife (humanitarian reasons) free medical care.

Forbid Thais to marry foreigners in future, no longer allow any foreigners to enter the country without full health insurance.

If their health insurance excludes any conditions, they can't enter the country.

• Like 2

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guess they will set up a table with 2 chair, buy when you arrive..

Think there are places that sell heath Insurance, No questions asked 400 baht per month

like if you buy a car go to the office to get the car transferred into your name, there is someone at a table to sell you the Insurance..

Of course they would have to see the Insurance every 90 days or people will just pay the 1st month only

Or you have to pay for a 1 years policy up front

Bearing in mind that it is very difficult to maintain health insurance policies past the age of 65 it would be a matter of the immigration authorities taking a decision on whether or not they actually want retirees in the country. Don't know how many there are, or even what their perceived value is to Thailand, but to make health insurance mandatory for the over 65's would be tantamount to telling them to leave.

+1

as the normal legal pensioner age in europe is 65 , even put higher age lately , and insurance in Thailand Stops mostly at 65 this would be a contradictory decision ....!

BTW ; no objections against to take one , but they have to enforce the insurrance companys policys then...to allows 65 plus wink.png .

Edited by david555

The authorities have now turned to the Immigration Dept to make a

requirement of a full authentic medical insurance policy mandatory for a

1 year non immigrant visa.

first immigration does not issue visas only extensions

second it will never happen. I have not had insurance since i was in the peace corps back in 1979 an have no intention getting it. I am not broke thou and living on the edge.

How can they enforce this when its not mandatory in any country i know of

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

The clear answer is easy.

Give all foreigners currently living in Thailand with a Thai wife (humanitarian reasons) free medical care.

Forbid Thais to marry foreigners in future, no longer allow any foreigners to enter the country without full health insurance.

If their health insurance excludes any conditions, they can't enter the country.

Yes why not provided you are income paying tax in Thailand...nothing is free in life

Yes the clear answer is easy

Forbid all foreigners from marrying Thai's in future...cheesy.gif ...see we have a Mr Stalin in our midst...why not declare all marriages between Thai's & foreigners...past, present and future null and void...ergo...large numbers of farangs will not have the grounds to apply for a visa, therefore cant get sick in Thailand cos they will not be here therefore not costing Thai hospitals any money when someone doesnt have medical insurance

• Like 1

The authorities have now turned to the Immigration Dept to make a

requirement of a full authentic medical insurance policy mandatory for a

1 year non immigrant visa.

first immigration does not issue visas only extensions

second it will never happen. I have not had insurance since i was in the peace corps back in 1979 an have no intention getting it. I am not broke thou and living on the edge.

How can they enforce this when its not mandatory in any country i know of

Er..yes they can enforce it if they so wish...all its takes an instruction to the various Thai embassies/consulates that non-imm visa's will only be issued on proof that 12 months medical insurance has been paid for, and immigration in Thailand checks again before issuing an extension of stay

And yes it is mandatory in some countries, from the retiree perspective, its not an issue as a lot of countries dont have retiree visa's these days anyway..and certainly those that do require the retiree to lodge an amount of money with the goverment for exactly this reason and any repatriation expenses if needed..

curious;

which countries is it required u purchase medical insurance??( only ones i know about are Canada an USA and they do not require u purchase med insurance , in fact most Americans cant afford med insurance) an which require u lodge money to get a visa? This is all new to me

So ur going to have immigration check to see that each person has insurance?

ok next step another insurance for your buriel or repatriating your corps .......? i would think as they require the 65000 bht Or 800 000 bht on bank would be sufficient rule .... especcially comparing to Thai monthly wages ....whistling.gif

• Like 1

Probably "something will have to be done" about this issue.

In the end it will go something like this:

- Wealthy farangs will be able to remain here (they can pay for everything that comes their way, no matter what).

- The not wealthy farangs will not be able to remain here (because they can not pay for everything that comes their way).

Amen.

Cheers.

• Like 1

curious;

which countries is it required u purchase medical insurance??( only ones i know about are Canada an USA and they do not require u purchase med insurance , in fact most Americans cant afford med insurance) an which require u lodge money to get a visa? This is all new to me

So ur going to have immigration check to see that each person has insurance?

When I worked in the US as a non-US citizen I had to have private medical insurance and proof before they would issue me my work visa (company took care of it and paid for it).

The checks for immigration would be straight forward...checked during your extension of stay renewal..ie policy certficate attached to your renewal application and same for the embassies issuing your visa..immigration at the airport would not be checking this

ok next step another insurance for your buriel or repatriating your corps .......? i would think as they require the 65000 bht Or 800 000 bht on bank would be sufficient rule .... especcially comparing to Thai monthly wages ....whistling.gif

but you hold the 65k or 800k..not the goverment...what your saying makes sense if this money was lodged with the goverment on bond to cover any cost incurred because you got sick, had to be buried or repatriated

..dont even see your logic comparing this to Thai monthly wages, doesnt even come into the equation..

but you hold the 65k or 800k..not the goverment...what your saying makes sense if this money was lodged with the goverment on bond to cover any cost incurred because you got sick, had to be buried or repatriated

..dont even see your logic comparing this to Thai monthly wages, doesnt even come into the equation..

now you start talking like the banks ...."your money is ours if whe need it .....laugh.png " just would let understand that with those financial requirements you could pay your hospital ... or when too high expected to become,i to buy yourself a flight home to go benifit our almost FREE medical care .... at least in my country ... not USA one where they fight the 'Obamacare " wich whe see as a complete normal thing.......

Edited by david555

Any Medical Insurance Requirement should take into account VA Insurance and Medicare for US Citizens as in my case I would fly back to the USA or the Philippins for any Long term Medical care such as surgery with hospital stay etc..

Or as previously mentioned allow the Farangs to BUY into the national healthcare system.

It all comes down to what is cost effective both for retirees and Thailand.

In My Humblest Opinion Thailand would be well served to INCLUDE Retirees in the national health Program based on the Retirees income at ANY Provincial Hospital. It would be a Boon for Thailands Medical System in that they would have a great increase in income to the System that it wouldn't otherwise have and it would be a Boon for Retirees as they would not need to leave the country for Care that may be unaffordable otherwise.

As an Example I would be more than happy to pay 5k Baht a month into the National healthcare System Each and Every Month as long as I am covered when and IF I fall ill.

In Closing let me say that a 5k baht fee for Tourists Insurance would also be needed and that IF Thailand should be so unreasonable as to require Retirees to buy Medical insurance on the open market they will see a slew of Cheap home Sales bursting any bubble that might be in any province. I also feel that the thai Economy will suffer GREATLY without the monies we Retirees bring into the country at NO cost to the Government.

Edited by StevenHeidbriderSr
  • Like 1

now you start talking like the banks ...."your money is ours if whe need it .....laugh.png " just would let understand that with those financial requirementsyou could pay your hospital ... or when too high expected to become to buy yourself a flight home to go benifit our almost FREE medical care .... at least in my country ... not USA one where they fight the 'Obamacare " wich whe see as a complete normal thing.......

not taking like the banks at all, in some countries non-national retiree's need to lodge a certain amount of money on bond with the goverment for exactly the same rational Thai immigration is using

if someone in Thailand without medical insurance gets hit wih a serious medical condition 800k/65k will not last that long paying for medical treatment private or otherwise.

but what happens in your cunning plan when you fall ill and cant physically buy a flight "home" for free medical treatment, or the airline will not fly you because of your condition unless you accompanied by a doctor/medical team...who pays for that ?....your home country, you ?...think not...800k is really going to get you long way in a circunmstance like this..!!!

My general point is this...as a foreigner living in another country without recourse to free medical treatment in that country and not having medical insurance is acting very irresponsibly to say the least...so for once Thai immigration is considering a very sensible requirement for people to live here full time

now you start talking like the banks ...."your money is ours if whe need it .....laugh.png " just would let understand that with those financial requirementsyou could pay your hospital ... or when too high expected to become to buy yourself a flight home to go benifit our almost FREE medical care .... at least in my country ... not USA one where they fight the 'Obamacare " wich whe see as a complete normal thing.......

not taking like the banks at all, in some countries non-national retiree's need to lodge a certain amount of money on bond with the goverment for exactly the same rational Thai immigration is using

if someone in Thailand without medical insurance gets hit wih a serious medical condition 800k/65k will not last that long paying for medical treatment private or otherwise.

but what happens in your cunning plan when you fall ill and cant physically buy a flight "home" for free medical treatment, or the airline will not fly you because of your condition unless you accompanied by a doctor/medical team...who pays for that ?....your home country, you ?...think not...800k is really going to get you long way in a circunmstance like this..!!!

My general point is this...as a foreigner living in another country without recourse to free medical treatment in that country and not having medical insurance is acting very irresponsibly to say the least...so for once Thai immigration is considering a very sensible requirement for people to live here full time

Even insurrances have their restrictions for paying or whatever exclusions , whe al knows they are trying alwys to get rid off claims in first order.... so that only already put you on the same stating point as me example.... , i am not here with my last pension money under my pillow....thumbsup.gif

i would like to see airline to refuse a (depending the case ) a first / business or economy seat with extra leg room ,( example broken hip) at my own costs payed ,

once on EU ground i am covered by our govermental health care , EVEN not in my own country , this are EU agreements

(why you think half the poor world want to be with us EU...)

Think that not all sickness accident cases can be covered by insurances .....dieing is waiting for us all ... rolleyes.gif

To give you an example my solutions , my Kasikorn accident plus insurrance i put as benificianary .........my embassy .....the kk lady that time watch me strange ... but they are finnaly te only ones who will take the nessesary steps what needed with that 1000 000 bath better than any TH girl / lady (good or bad onewink.png ) besides that i made on my local EU gov. alredy the buriel will ; as cremation, an no need for repatriation ashess (even airlines let you take free by family homewai2.gif ), ...as finnally i become dust anyway.

Short ending it , you can not forsee AlL what can happen....

Even you as a millionair can loose your last penny / dollar in case health care IF YOU HAVE TO RELY ON YOUR OWN MONEYwhistling.gif

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

While it can be expensive or impossible for a person over age 65 to obtain comprehensive health insurance, accident insurance is available and inexpensive. Many of the banks offer personal accident policies with coverage up to age 100 at reasonable rates -- something like 6,000 baht/year. While the policies have an upper cap on payout, it's is still enough to pay for a hip replacement at a government hospital.

The "plan" to return to your home country for care isn't practical when you're hit by a tuk-tuk and in the hospital with a broken hip. Accidents rate are much higher here than in the west and the elderly have a much higher rate of slip-and-fall accidents than the younger population.

In my opinion, every resident expat should at least have an accident insurance policy, even if they can't afford/obtain a comprehensive health insurance policy.

• Like 1

I've assisted older expats trying to return to their home country for health treatment and yes, the airlines will refuse to board someone who appears to be incapacitated without a doctor's letter. It's not uncommon for these folks to have to travel with a companion. Better factor that cost into your "plan" to seek treatment back home.

I've assisted older expats trying to return to their home country for health treatment and yes, the airlines will refuse to board someone who appears to be incapacitated without a doctor's letter. It's not uncommon for these folks to have to travel with a companion. Better factor that cost into your "plan" to seek treatment back home.

Many times i saw wheelchair passengers on my flight......whistling.gif , and yes i have an kasikorn personal accident plus insurrance ..... but it seems limited to 65 years .... , so my final statement is that no law can be imposed if it is not possible to follow that law .....so or Thailand should restrict retirees to 65 (and that is noweven in the EU lower than the legal pension age wich became 67 for benefit a gov pension ) or force insurrance policys to change the age upwardswink.png

but you can't force people , foreigners or not , to buy private insurance , if they would give the opportunity for a buy in and only treatment at government hospitals I would applause such a move .

Er yes they can if its attached as a T&C to getting your visa or extension of stay issued

Many times i saw wheelchair passengers on my flight......whistling.gif , and yes i have an kasikorn personal accident plus insurrance ..... but it seems limited to 65 years .... , so my final statement is that no law can be imposed if it is not possible to follow that law .....so or Thailand should restrict retirees to 65 (and that is noweven in the EU lower than the legal pension age wich became 67 for benefit a gov pension ) or force insurrance policys to change the age upwards;)
Mate why do you keep quoting what happens in the EU...Thailand is not in the EU

Many times i saw wheelchair passengers on my flight......whistling.gif , and yes i have an kasikorn personal accident plus insurrance ..... but it seems limited to 65 years .... , so my final statement is that no law can be imposed if it is not possible to follow that law .....so or Thailand should restrict retirees to 65 (and that is noweven in the EU lower than the legal pension age wich became 67 for benefit a gov pension ) or force insurrance policys to change the age upwards;)
Mate why do you keep quoting what happens in the EU...Thailand is not in the EU

very simple to show that if needed i get full covered health assistance as you can read i DO NOT COUNT on thai healt service longer than a fixing up to travel ...

Seems the EU is bothering your mind ... why ? no need to smile.png no force to join or to leave (that only one UK foot )biggrin.png

Edited by david555

What about the farangs over 65 or with pre existing conditions. They couldn't get health insurance. Would this mean they can't get visas as well?

Just print off a quote,after,altering on Photoshop,reading policy accepted.

No sweat.

There are ways and means Nancy,some airlines are concerned some not. Take Air India,they will take anybody,alive, dying or dead,never known an airline like them,they could not be bothered one jot,stretcher cases too at seat price. If worried book business class,show up just before gate shuts,bound to get on. See the piece on them recently?,two pilots sleeping,two stewardesses flying the 'plane

One thing about India though their medical facilities once there are superb. The only thing in my medical cabinet (if I had one) would be an open visa for India,get there cheap with Air Asia ,not sure with Air Asia with dying bit though. I'm covered insurance wise here, but whether I want to go their route is another matter, had one good bite out of it last year,do not want to be too greedy on that one

The prices shown in the chart for India could be chopped down by a half at least,probably two thirds too. They are health tourist prices shown,plenty on offer that do not inflate prices

Price Benefits - Medical Tourism India.htm

Edited by pinfold