Is It A Holiday Today In Pattaya? Why So Much Traffic?

Annonymous

Hey there,

I went to friendship supermarket about an hour ago, it was like HELL on the road from jomtien (through the sukhumvit), never saw the road so sluggish, even motorbikes had to go through the sidewalks...

I haven't been to pattaya since songkran so I though the crazy period was over, is it only today or is it like this every day??

Crazy city it became sad.png worse than driving in bangkok!

Edited by Annonymous

So thats why it took me almost 1 hour early evening with a baht bus from Jomtien to S-Pattaya !

I was sure it was low season , but so many russians around me so think its high season .

So thats why it took me almost 1 hour early evening with a baht bus from Jomtien to S-Pattaya !

I was sure it was low season , but so many russians around me so think its high season .

For me it was mostly thais on the road, a mix of thai buses, cars and thai motorbikes (when you see 5 people on an old manual motorcycle with deflated rear tire there's no doubt!! hahaha)

Yes it is, Coronation Day, avoid downtown till Tuesday.

Thanks for the info, even my TG didn't know that!

That's what always amazes me... Also my wife and my staff have no clue when the holidays are and what holiday it is....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

may is the best month for holidays for thais

May - 01 Wednesday Labor Day
(not applied to the government sector) May - 05 Sunday Coronation Day May - 06 Monday Coronation Day - Observed May - 13 Monday Royal Ploughing Ceremony May - 24 Friday Vesak Day

source:

http://portalseven.com/calendar/Holidays_Thailand.jsp#page=divHolidayListTab

Edited by Rimmer
Formatting

Last night around 8-30 Suk road was almost gridlocked from at least Makro to Klang. I was nearly late for the football.

Thankfully I can stay at home for the rest of the weekend and leave others to fume in their cars as they crawl along :)

Last night around 8-30 Suk road was almost gridlocked from at least Makro to Klang. I was nearly late for the football.

Thankfully I can stay at home for the rest of the weekend and leave others to fume in their cars as they crawl along smile.png

Huge traffic jam on Sukumvit from Jomtien going North just now (1pm Sunday). The other side of the road was more or less empty. Luckily I was on the quiet side on my way back from lunch.

What do Thai people find so attractive about downtown Pattaya on public holidays? It's a mystery to me.

I was about to go a short distance "north" from Jomtien to Pattaya, but the massive traffic jam made me rethink that plan. Thais come here to get away from Bangkok, which despite claims of being the best city in the world, has been ruined due to traffic jams and associated toxic air. Unfortunately, Pattaya-Jomtien is rapidly becoming like Bangkok, and that is not a good thing. It sure was better 10-20 years ago. There seems to be some unstated rule in this country: If something is fine, work like Hell to f&ck it up!

• Like 2

Huge traffic jam on Sukumvit from Jomtien going North just now (1pm Sunday). The other side of the road was more or less empty. Luckily I was on the quiet side on my way back from lunch.

What do Thai people find so attractive about downtown Pattaya on public holidays? It's a mystery to me.

I don't know either.

We wanted to go the a beach owned by the Navy near Sattahip but when we got near Sukhumvit road we quickly abandoned that plan and went to BigC North Pattaya instead and had ice creams and did some shopping.

I think we will go to the navy beach on Tuesday or Wednesday giving my boy a day off from school.

I hope one day that BKK Thais getting so fed up with weekend traffic jams in Pattaya that they choose to stay away but I doubt it.

I just saw post no14: Yes everywhere in the world the traffic situation was much better 10-20 years ago or how about 40 years ago.

I head Hua Hin is pretty bad in the weekends too.

That is one of the negative sides of being so close to BKK, everybody scramble to get out of BKK for the weekends and this one being a long one doesn't help matters.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

Thankfully I can stay at home for the rest of the weekend and leave others to fume in their cars as they crawl along smile.png

Beats me too.

A few years back when they could park on the sea front in Pattaya, I could understand it. A bit like Cha-Am where you can park right next to the beach.

Yet, what else is there here in Pattaya besides the beach that attracts so many?

Bali Hai Pier, a boat trip to the islands, a run down to Jomtien beach. I would not have thought sitting in such huge traffic jams would be worth the effort.

On the other hand, it is the same in the U.K. on bank holidays with traffic snarled up to the eyeballs.

What is the traffic situation like today? Particularly interested in Sukhumvit, Pattaya Tai, 3rd road, Pattaya Klang ...

It's not too bad, I guess BKK people are slowly starting to drive home.

Excellent, thanks! I need to run some errands, but don't fancy being stuck in downtown traffic.

Funny this...I went from Darkside to Fairtex and then back to Big C Extra and then on home to the Darkside this morning and barely any traffic. Big C around noon was not full at all (parking area) unlike on Sat/Sun. Funny how on the actual holiday traffic is very light.